• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Feige and Bautista Address The Importance Of Female Characters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mainly posting this for Bautista's comment. Link.

Continuing our series of reports from the Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 press junket, we gain some additional insight on the topic of female characters from Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige. One reporter posed the following question to Feige:
"I'm really appreciative about the amount of women or female characters in the film. I just think it's great, you don't see that very often in anything. Kevin, I was wondering if there was a discussion about that, if you were trying to do that or if there was there any push back?"

Feige provides a rather broad response that speaks to his vision for the entire MCU, as much as it addresses his specific goals for this film:
"No push back... There are lots and lots of great female characters in the comics that we want to bring to life on the screen, and it's very important to James [Gunn] to include these characters. And more than just include them, give them their own storylines, and have it be more than just their ability to fight or their romance with a male character. And that's why I think Nebula and Gamora are a high point for the movie, and that relationship is one of the biggest and best arcs in the whole movie, is that sister relationship."

Drax actor Dave Bautista leans in and offers his own perspective, which elicits a nice chuckle from the attendees:
"I keep hearing over and over again, women are so happy to see these strong, sexy female characters. And trust me, that the men are happy to see them as well."

Reminder that there'll be 20 MCU movies before Captain Marvel is out at which point the male to female lead percentage will drop from 100% to 95%.

and Feige is just like

Xy9LyaI.gif

Ceres

Banned
In my head I thought Feig, the director that actually makes movies staring women, and tried to figure out how Bautista was connected.

There's women in the MCU?

I mean seriously... there's been like 5...

With the boniest of arcs....

They could've done alot better. who cares if they started now, 15 movies in...

El Topo

If only I got a dollar every time Feige says how important women are to him. We've gotten so many wonderful quotes over these past years.

Mesoian

This is so weird to me since gamora and drax basically swapped personalities for the movies.

I guess it doesn't diminish the point but...sort of rings hollow.

SpaceWolf

Banned
2017, and female characters getting the opportunity to get involved in these stories is still being treated as some sort of delightful bonus.

”So, why do you write these strong female characters? Because you're still asking me that question."

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
They should watch Agents of Shield, you know the show in the same universe.

That show has by far the best female characters in comic book TV and movies.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Perlmutter is gone, the new face of the MCU is coming.

If you thought Spidey's intro in CW was big, wait til IW

1cb7338072f0b0e5757eaf8eca69fd7cc118ea05.jpg

They should watch Agents of Shield, you know the show in the same universe.

That show has by far the best female characters in comic book TV and movies.

AoS is so good AND super diverse. Also features one of MCU's best heroes.

Who had the HQ gif of Quake's John Wick gunfight?

If only I got a dollar every time Feige says how important women are to him. We've gotten so many wonderful quotes over these past years.

Yep. And that Black Widow movie will get announced any day now.

To play Devil's Advocate here...

You have a point but just for the hell of it, characters that actually matter (so far) on that list:
Black Widow / Peggy Carter / Scarlet Witch / Jessica Jones.

And Darcy, obviously.

DeathyBoy

Banned
But Skyler sucks, am I right Gaf?

I mean it's amusing to have this thread and that thread existing at the same time. Championing average female characters in superhero films and criticising one realistic character in an acclaimed drama.

Perlmutter is gone, the new face of the MCU is coming.

If you thought Spidey's intro in CW was big, wait til IW

1cb7338072f0b0e5757eaf8eca69fd7cc118ea05.jpg

I don't think people realize how important this fact is as to why women and minorities have been underplayed in the MCU. We already know from Shane Black that Ike was the reason the main villain in Iron Man 3 wasn't a woman. And the first movies that Feige announced after he split from Ike? Captain Marvel and Black Panther (and I think Ant-Man and the Wasp? but that may have been a little bit before the split). And then, on top of that, the first two movies that Feige got to cast after the split are the two most racially diverse movies that Marvel has ever done (Dr. Strange and Homecoming).

El Topo

In all fairness, GOTG2 is pretty awesome in that regard. I was pleasantly surprised.

Yep. And that Black Widow movie will get announced any day now.

I would laugh really hard if they killed her off in one of the next two Avengers movies.
"Well, you see, now that she is dead, we can't make that movie we were all really looking forward to."

butalala

5269069-7003959479-woman.jpg

But yes, it's about high damn time we finally got ourselves a female lead movie.

Counterpoint to this: If you take away all of the girlfriends and sidekicks, what are you left with?

Counter-counterpoint: This is missing many characters from Jessica Jones, including the lawyer. Edit: Whoops, I missed the fine print.

Promotion for Agents of Shield: It does diversity better than almost anything in the MCU.

Counterpoint to this: If you take away all of the girlfriends and sidekicks, what are you left with?

Counter-counterpoint: This is missing many characters from Jessica Jones, including the lawyer.

Promotion for Agents of Shield: It does diversity better than almost anything in the MCU.

Man, it just struck me how many in that picture are dead in-universe. We got so little time with Hand. Also yeah, AoS is so much better at diversity than the rest of the MCU.

I was watching Winter Solider last night and it just baffles me that they won't do a Black Widow movie. It could be so good.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Fuck that, AoS does diversity better than almost anything on tv

This reminds of the first time I saw a cast photo for the core group in series one, which entirely consisted of attractive, usually young, white people.

I don't watch the show though, so maybe it's come on leaps and bounds in that department.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Unfortunately Lucy killed any chance of the Black Widow movie. Marvel's always been cheap (and still are), and they're not going to fork over the 30-45 million ScarJo would want for Black Widow. Heck, even Avengers 2 had to tone her action sequences down because she was pregnant, which I'm fine with cuz a kid is about a gazillion times more important than a couple of extra action sequences.

Bautista speaks the freaking truth there though, lol. Badass women are awesome.

Gambit

I was watching Winter Solider last night and it just baffles me that they won't do a Black Widow movie. It could be so good.

Black Widow with Bucky and Hawkeye supporting cast could be fantastic. Shame they won't try (and shame they didn't include Bucky and Nat's common history).

Apart from that I think the MCU side is sadly missing the best female characters Marvel has to offer. So I guess they have to make to with what they've got: boring Carol.

On the other hand, AoS shows you can just create new characters of reinvent minor ones like Quake. So if Marvel had really wanted to, they could have. Even with the mutants missing.

Penguin

But yes, it's about high damn time we finally got ourselves a female lead movie.

I get the point, and just playing Devil's Advocate to the Devil's Advocate

Written out off-screen
Just not really acknowledged
The Monster monologue from Age of Ultron
Written out off-screen presumably
Same
Dead
Done Well
Dead
Have we seen her since Age of Ultron?
Just gonna assume not around X3
Alive
alive
Alive
Dead
Dead
No idea who she is (don't watch all of AoS)
A real solid row!
No Idea
Written out of the show for a spin-off that never happened
I mean probably dead from old age, but were great and fun chars
Alive
Alive
And finish off with 3 solid choices

I don't think people realize how important this fact is as to why women and minorities have been underplayed in the MCU. We already know from Shane Black that Ike was the reason the main villain in Iron Man 3 wasn't a woman. And the first movies that Feige announced after he split from Ike? Captain Marvel and Black Panther (and I think Ant-Man and the Wasp? but that may have been a little bit before the split). And then, on top of that, the first two movies that Feige got to cast after the split are the two most racially diverse movies that Marvel has ever done (Dr. Strange and Homecoming).

I noticed that too. Real curious how it'll play out now

He's the phil spencer of the MCU, just replace women with first party investments.

And a Black Widow movie probably isn't happening because they aren't going to pay ScarJo the money necessary for that to happen. There may be a bit of sexism involved in that decision, but that's where I see that being. They're more likely to find another character to fit the same general niche (either by finding a different comic character to use or, I don't know, Colbie Smulders in a Maria Hill movie).

SRG01

This reminds of the first time I saw a cast photo for the core group in series one, which entirely consisted of attractive, usually young, white people.

The initial core group consisted of a middle aged man (Coulson), middle aged Asian woman (May), a guy in his thirties (Ward), a mixed-race Eurasian woman in her twenties (Skye), and two other Caucasian characters (FitzSimmons).

I'm sure I'm missing a few others -- was Trip top billing in season one? -- but a third to a half of them are older, and one third is Asian... so I don't know where you're getting that from?

Malyse

Far too many of them are dead.

Written out off-screen
Same
Dead
Done Well
Dead
Alive
alive
Alive
Dead
Dead
A real solid row!
No Idea
Alive
Alive

Angel's Advocate?

Unfortunately Lucy killed any chance of the Black Widow movie. Marvel's always been cheap (and still are), and they're not going to fork over the 30-45 million ScarJo would want for Black Widow. Heck, even Avengers 2 had to tone her action sequences down because she was pregnant, which I'm fine with cuz a kid is about a gazillion times more important than a couple of extra action sequences.
Wait, how did Lucy kill any chances? I thought the movie was a surprising success domestically and internationally, pulling $460m on a $40m budget. Or are you suggesting it helped boost her rate?

SpaceWolf

Banned
The initial core group consisted of a middle aged man (Coulson), middle aged Asian woman (May), a guy in his thirties (Ward), a mixed-race Eurasian woman in her twenties (Skye), and two other Caucasian characters (FitzSimmons).

I'm sure I'm missing a few others -- was Trip top billing in season one? -- but a third to a half of them are older, and one third is Asian... so I don't know where you're getting that from?

Just did a google and this was the initial photo I remembered:

agents-of-shield-feature.jpg

May is indeed Asian, I forgot that! And I wasn't actually aware that the actress playing Skye is an Eurasian woman! But otherwise, at the time, it didn't strike me as a particularly diverse group...certainly in comparison to countless other television shows that have much more diverse casts. I don't watch Agents of SHIELD though, so I'm certainly not one to criticize it, that was just my immediate impression when the show was first preparing to go on the air.

Wait, how did Lucy kill any chances? I thought the movie was a surprising success domestically and internationally, pulling $460m on a $40m budget. Or are you suggesting it helped boost her rate?

Increased her rate. ScarJo, at this point, would basically end up with $20-30 million at the minimum for a Black Widow movie (like, that's the discount she'd give if she liked them and really wanted to do the movie). Realistically, I think we'd be looking at somewhere around what RDJ was paid for Civil War, which is/was something like $40-50 million, IIRC.

Platy

Actual movie characters with actual chance of not being dead/ignored:

Pepper Pots, Black Widow, Sif, Maria Hill, Agent 13, Scarlet Witch, Gamora, Nebula, Nova Prime, Hope Van Dyne

And Mantis

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Just did a google and this was the initial photo I remembered:

agents-of-shield-feature.jpg

May is indeed Asian, I forgot that! And I wasn't actually aware that the actress playing Skye is an Eurasian woman! But otherwise, at the time, it didn't strike me as a particularly diverse group...certainly in comparison to countless other television shows that have much more diverse casts. I don't watch Agents of SHIELD though, so I'm certainly not one to criticize it, that was just my immediate impression when the show was first preparing to go on the air.

Yeah season one was not as diverse as it has been the last few seasons.

Right now:

This one is missing Robbie Reyes who was a big part of the main cast this season who was played by Gabriel Luna

Not to mention a lot of the secondary characters and antagonists who are not all just white dudes.

Mesoian

Written out off-screen
Same
Dead
Done Well
Dead
Alive
alive
Alive
Dead
Dead
A real solid row!
No Idea
Alive
Alive

Kind of want to make a Days of Future Past edit to this to really hammer home how little influence this list is going to have over the future of marvel movies.

Yeah season one was not as diverse as it has been the last few seasons.

Right now:

This one is missing Robbie Reyes who was a big part of the main cast this season who was played by Gabriel Luna

Not to mention a lot of the secondary characters and antagonists who are not all just white dudes.

Not to mention Trip was a part of the team for a good time.

season 2 and season 4 spoilers
I still feel his death was absolutely and completely 100% unnecessary. Seeing him in the Framework was a goddam dagger in the heart. I loved his connection to the Howling Commandos and he was a great replacement for Ward.

creatchee

Pro-tip - when referring to Dave Bautista exclusively by his last name, you must drop the "u" so that it becomes Batista.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action

Yup! With Evans, RDJ and Helmsworth wrapping up their time in the spotlight things are going to change. Sony still owns Spidey, so they double down on building up a Cosmic universe.

Who is going to run that show? Carol - front and center.

Phases 4+ are going to look way different than 1-3.

Who directed that scene? Hire that personal full time plz!

Yoooo, right!

Increased her rate. ScarJo, at this point, would basically end up with $20-30 million at the minimum for a Black Widow movie (like, that's the discount she'd give if she liked them and really wanted to do the movie). Realistically, I think we'd be looking at somewhere around what RDJ was paid for Civil War, which is/was something like $40-50 million, IIRC.

Exactly. Marvel likes to keep their costs low, and is going to be leaning on those who are still well within their contracts going forward. Evans being replaced by Sebastian Stan has been hinted all over the place probably for this reason alone.

ScarJo is going to be WAY too expensive after Lucy, though Ghost in the Shell bombing may have brought her price down somewhat.

That aside, Marvel can only field 2 films a year, maybe 3 if you push it and this includes Spider-Man. A black widow film if it happened would end up bumping something else off the roster, which doesn't really make a whole lot of sense when a Cap ensemble film that includes widow would be a better draw.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom