• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Well-Intentioned but Misguided Game Gifts

Orbis

London Racer (PS1) for my 11th birthday from my mum. Luckily she recognised how awful it was and returned it for a refund. Pretty sure I picked Microsoft Train Simulator to replace it, which I had infinitely more fun with.

It didn't happen to me, but a girl from my class on third grade asked her grandma for a GameBoy Color for her birthday.

She got one of these:

SihkTBb.jpg

I had one of those when I was a kid. I played it a ton lol. It had a few versions of a weird racing game that I liked.

When I first got my Game Boy Advance, my parents picked out Mickey's Magical Quest as a game to play with it. But as soon as they got home, they read online that it wasn't a good game or some crap like that and took it back to exchange it for an okay but forgettable SpongeBob game.

I've had plenty of other games that I got as a kid but didn't enjoy, but except for Crash Bandicoot: The Wrath of Cortex as one of my first Gamecube games, they were almost all on me.

Friend bought me a fighting game. Something about the fighters being werebeasts or something.

Barely touched it.

Bloody Roar!? Which 2 was an awesome game, and the others weren't half bad at all.

My grandma is very religious and knew I liked video games. She bought me a game with "God" in the title for christmas.

It was God of War.

I was 15.

Well intentioned, misguided, but man was it awesome!

Brilliant

That seems a tad harsh. It's nice she did some research on looking up critically acclaimed games for the system she just bought.

He probably just likes to jokes and mess with her.

The holidays following the Vita launching my girlfriend got me a grip attachment/case........... For PSP. :/

Laughed so hard I started coughing.

I have only received absolutely awesome games for gifts, but my best friend (who is a CoD casual gamer) received a PSP with Metal Gear Acid as a gift from his wife.

She bought him the PSP, and then picked out Metal Gear Acid because it had a high metacritic score. That was so not his type of game and he busted her chops immensely about buying a game just because a score was high.

That is an excellent gift, it's not her fault he has bad taste

It didn't happen to me, but a girl from my class on third grade asked her grandma for a GameBoy Color for her birthday.

She got one of these:

SihkTBb.jpg
I had one of these but a 999 game version (or some other lower number). Tetris and many repeats of a few slight rule changes of Tetris.

I never had a game boy until the SP.

JPS Kai

I received a PS1 one Christmas with
Final Fantasy VII, Colony Wars, and Parasite Eve
. It was either a year or two later that I got
South Park: Chef's Love Shack and A Bug's Life

I wonder about the weird looks my mother must've gotten when she bought the last two..

Zekes!

My girlfriend got me the 3DS Tintin game (based on the movie) because I like the Tintin comics. I played it for a bit (because she wouldn't stop bugging me about how I must've hated it). It was what you would expect.

Actually, for a long time (and maybe still) my girlfriend thinks I like Tintin more than I actually do. Like, Tintin is awesome, but she makes it seem like it's one of my favourite things

AlexBasch

My dad got me a N64 with Banjo-Tooie for Christmas. I don't like those games at all.

Now now, before you guys jump at my throat, a friend from school got Pokemon Stadium 2 and he had never played those games nor had interest on them, so he was pretty bored from just the minigames and the battles. We found out and decided to "exchange" the gifts, so my dad saved his Christmas and his saved mine, happy ending for both of us. :)

My uncle gave me Art Of Fighting for the Mega Drive...there was just one little issue, the box and cartridge said Genesis and 8 year old me couldn't​ understand why it didn't work on my Mega Drive as the cartridge was exactly as the ones I had.
There's a military base shared between the Americans and the Portuguese in my island and my uncle worked as a lawyer for the Portuguese workers so he had access to US stores inside the base and he bought the game there.
I was always curious to play it, the box made it look like a great game.

Skikkiks

Idiot Child Skik: Tell Santa that I want Grand Theft Auto: Vice City and Tak and the Power of Juju for Christmas!

Parents: ok

*Christmas Day*

Idiot Child Sklk: WOW I wonder what SANTA put in my STOCKING.................

GTA3boxcover.jpg

Ty_the_Tasmanian_Tiger_Coverart.jpg

Idiot Child Skik: .....close enough

I play Melee and Project M and I think most of the people I've met in the scene have been given third party Gamecube controllers at some point or another in our lives.

It means the person means well, but doesn't understand the difference in quality needed for a decent Smash controller.

Every time a Dragon Ball Z Budokai game came out, I would get it that Christmas from the same relatives

Christmas rolls around, my friends have it, I'm stoked to get it, open the game from said relative and it's!

Tony Hawk's Underground 2

Ended up never actually getting Budokai 3 and was edged off of the franchise. Wanted to buy Tenkaichi 2 when it came out but parents said I was too old, I needed to buy Guitar Hero 2 instead. Lol

Metzhara

Idiot Child Skik: Tell Santa that I want Grand Theft Auto: Vice City and Tak and the Power of Juju for Christmas!

Parents: ok

*Christmas Day*

Idiot Child Sklk: WOW I wonder what SANTA put in my STOCKING.................

GTA3boxcover.jpg

Ty_the_Tasmanian_Tiger_Coverart.jpg

Idiot Child Skik: .....close enough

Ty the Tasmanian Tiger was WONDERFUL! I had it on Xbox and it was charming, great mechanics, funny animations, and wonderful soundtrack. I'd say you got a pretty sweet deal.

I'm much more concerned that child anyone asked for GTA and got GTA. Still boggles my mind to this day. I suppose they could have bought you "Manhunt."

Kyrios

The only thing I can think of is back in the day, my grandmother got me a third party PS1 Memory Card. It eventually corrupted but it lasted I would say a good solid 3 years.

I mainly used it as a back-up, so no real loss when it did die though.

around the time of the wrath of the lich king's release was my birthday, so naturally i asked for it from my parents

but instead of this

250px-Wrath_of_the_Lich_King.jpg

i got this

250px-ROTWK_packfront.jpg

which ironically i already had as i really liked battle for middle-earth

Nessus

I was a utterly devoted Nintendo fanboy as a kid and hated Sega (largely due to Sega's attack ads against Nintendo). I had already been gifted an NES, Game Boy, and SNES.

So my parents got me a Genesis with Sonic 3 one year for Christmas, and I was so disappointed but pretended not to be. But then I actually played it and it went on to become one of my favorite games of all time.

Since then, with the exception of this current gen, I've felt compelled to get all the competing consoles.

Me "Yo dad! I want SSX on Tour for Christmas!"

Dad: "I got you son!"

oAfLBKm.jpg

SSX 3 is amazing but dammit I wanted the SSX game with skis.

I don't get many games as gifts since most of my family hates games and hates that I still play them. but one time I told my mom about SimCity Creator on the Wii, she went to Gamestop one day day to buy it for me but ended up getting The Sims for Gamecube. which worked out in the end as that game introduced me to one of my favorite game series.

A friend gave me Cooking Mama for the Wii. I guess they thought since i like video games and like to cook it was a win.

I did not enjoy being yelled at in broken English by a game with borked motion controls.

aBarreras

i think the only gaming stuff i have been gifted was a n64 on christmas and a gamecube with metroid prime, both by my parents.

now that i think of it, its kinda sad.. but at least both gifts were great!

night814

Parents were always on point with game gifts and no one else gave me video games until adult relationships. My girlfriend asks me atleast once a week if I'm playing my switch still.

SenkiDala

Never had this problem since I never received video games before my 10yo, so it was long after I stopped to believe in Santa so when I wanted something for Xmas or Bday I just asked the right game. :D

A couple summers ago, my godson (son of my 1st cousin) turned 13. He has an X1 and I thought "What better way to bond with the kid than to send him Destiny?" which I was playing the hell out of at the time. So I packaged up the game, as well as a letter saying "I look forward to adventuring with you this summer!" and sent it on its way.

A month or so later I received a hand written letter from his mother thanking me for my "thoughtful gift", but noticed that it was never brought up again and he never ended up playing with me.

Turns out upon receiving the game, his parents promptly tookthe violent game away. Which I thought was ironic considering the kid is allowed to play Battlefront (Star Wars doesn't count as violent apparently...) and his dad was the person that introduced me to Mortal Kombat 2 back when I was 10. C'est la vie I suppose, I tried.

Ah well, you tried! That would have been a great gift.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
Wow at the entitled jerks in this thread.

Growing up, we were really poor. We seldom had gifts for christmas nor birthdays. One christmas my brother and I got Zelda 2 and Metroid. Albeit they were used, we were incredibly happy about it.

fernoca

Guess I was lucky with my mom. XD
She loved ordering NES games from the Sears catalogs, and gave them to me randomly while growing up. Either after good grades, long weekends, vacations, or me been sick/getting better, etc.

But the games were...Zelda, Zelda II, Mario 1,2,3, Final Fantasy, Star Tropics and many more. I guess she always did her homework.

She was also the only one that gifted games. My dad just took me to the stores to choose/buy them and there were no aunts, uncles, grandparents, etc. So it was only the two of them.

Spman2099

Wow at the entitled jerks in this thread.

Growing up, we were really poor. We seldom had gifts for christmas nor birthdays. One christmas my brother and I got Zelda 2 and Metroid. Albeit they were used, we were incredibly happy about it.

Chill. There is nothing entitled about being human. People get disappointed. They are allowed to discuss it in lighthearted discussion threads.

I bought my nephew the $99 Black Friday 3DS. When I saw how cheap it was and had a TN panel, I returned it and bought him the $200 lime green 3DS XL with an IPS screen. I thought I was getting him the best 3DS around and felt good about it. When he opened his present he was like "oh, this doesn't have removable face plates?"

Kids...go figure. Could have saved $100 and he would have been happier with the crappy one

painey

46553_front.jpg

The only video game my family ever got me. I don't like Pac Man and I don't like Tetris. I did have a Game Boy, though.. so it could have been worse.

Top Bottom