• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So.... did anyone else know Kirsten Dunst was in a im turning japanese music video?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had no clue. Apparently her last album topped the charts in Japan, China, and Taiwan. That's shocking to me.

She made two songs for one of those One Piece movies.

One was a cover of "bad reputation" the other was a Nickleback cover of "how you remind me".

Oda sent a personal thank you letter to Lavigne after hearing her cover of "How You Remind Me". "Bad Reputation" is one of Oda's favorite songs

CloudWolf

Really? It's so weird when former big stars become huge in non western countries. Blindsides you.

Japan is a bit of a musical meme. If you're way past your prime as a musician, you always go to Japan, because there's a big chance you can still play stadiums there. Alphaville made a song about the phenomenon, every hair metal band in existence has a 'Live in Japan' cd, This Is Spinal Tap famously parodied it and Anvil: The Story of Anvil also ended with a big concert in Japan.

Really? It's so weird when former big stars become huge in non western countries. Blindsides you.

I had no clue. Apparently her last album topped the charts in Japan, China, and Taiwan. That's shocking to me.

She's always been super popular in Japan. She hits the top of the charts like home grown idols ad pop stars, to the point where you had Avex crapping out soundalikes for a while until something else took off.

Song was released in 1980 and 'Turning Japanese' is an archaic piece of British slang to describe squinting one's eyes when climaxing.

The song is about wanking, in other words.
That's an urban legend. The song is about how Japanese tourists were stereotypically known for having cameras with them wherever they went and taking pictures of everything. The singer is saying he can't help himself taking tons of pictures of his girlfriend so he is turning Japanese.

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
ah I see now. whenever im on a plane going to japan, there is always a tourist girl with pink or blue hair. they think thats what japan is about.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
That's an urban legend. The song is about how Japanese tourists were stereotypically known for having cameras with them wherever they went and taking pictures of everything. The singer is saying he can't help himself taking tons of pictures of his girlfriend so he is turning Japanese.

Shit, I just thought it was about Weaboos

I remember when this came out. I've always liked it, but I've always liked Dunst.

I feel like Kirsten Dunst got Hathaway'd. She was an America's Sweetheart type who didn't really implode like Lohan, or go away, or successfully reinvent herself as something different, so when she got too old we just decided we liked kicking her better than loving her.

The Jason

That isn't what the band said the song is about, and a solitary wikipedia source doesn't really sell me on the song being about that.

Anyway, this art exhibit still doesn't really explain why Kirsten Dunst was a part of the exhibit, why this song has anything to do with the exhibit, etc. The whole thing is bizarre.

I need receipts here. I've never heard this about that expression

The song is about masturbation. I remember a VH1 episode of I love the 80's in which one of the band members said it was about wanking. If you read the lyrics its pretty clear as well.

"You've got me turning up and turning down
And turning in and turning 'round"

ElRenoRaven

I remember when this came out. I've always liked it, but I've always liked Dunst.

I feel like Kirsten Dunst got Hathaway'd. She was an America's Sweetheart type who didn't really implode like Lohan, or go away, or successfully reinvent herself as something different, so when she got too old we just decided we liked kicking her better than loving her.

I know right. I always liked her. Course he helps that I always had a crush on her. It's been sad to see her ignored.

Whompa02

One of the most inoffensive and forgettable videos, really. Nobody knows about it or barely remembers it because it came and went like a fart in the wind.

Shaanyboi

Banned
didn't think Kirsten was cute until i saw this.

bruh

kirsten-dunst-spiderman-1-wallpaper-1.jpg

Fisty

Yikes what a terrible cover. Thought I might have inexplicably missed her from the actual Vapors video, but nah she actually covered it... badly.

Dice//

Banned
Yeah...but I tried to forget about it. Didn't Avril Lavigne do something similar?

Avril Lavigne made a shitty original song about...Japan...sorta. Eugh (I hate to stoop this low, but honestly the only thing good about it is she's not terrible to look —Avril's definitely a pretty girl)

At least the Kirsten Dunst thing looks more like she was wasting a few days in Japan and got paid to cover and embraces Akihabara's more unique quirks and culture. Avril's "hello kitty" is just nonsense with a Japanese backdrop.

And yeah this was in my sidebar recommendations too... is someone promoting it????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom