• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Visual Novels Community Thread | A Little Something for Everyone

Yuuichi

I'm failing to think of any PS3 exclusive titles that warrant a port, same with psp/psv stuff. It's mostly tie in games (which usually aren't very good from what I hear) or all ages PC ports. I'd rather see the resources go towards better titles.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Wasn't the official localization a total hack job? I don't know if I want to support that kind of release financially. And I'm not even talking about removing H-scenes, which I know would be necessary for a Steam release regardless.

Yeah, absolutely shit. I've been monkeying (unsuccessfully) to patch a fan translation and uncensor patch to it, but the localization job is so unbelievably shit. It does look really nice though, I'll give it that.

Voliko

Just got a couple of the different good endings in Banshee's Last Cry on iOS. I thought it was pretty good. It keeps you guessing even after you think you have it figured out (or when you don't have anything figured out at first!). Some of the bad endings are pretty gruesome. It wasn't that hard to "figure out" the gist of the crime after a few bad ends, but it was pretty clever. I was quite surprised that (spoilers)
there was nothing about the killer's motivation or his back story. Maybe it's in the extra endings and choices that the good endings mentioned?
Still, decent murder mystery.

Also, the arrangements of the SFC music tracks are perfect. Really well done.

Another thing- really lame that the manual save function is broken. It just crashes the game if you try to save. Poor showing from Aksys on that front, but at least autosave works. There were also a decent amount of typos and grammatical errors. I even recall an "m" being used instead of a comma once -_- The writing is pretty good but come on, proof-read please.

Anyone else grab this when it was $.99? It was well worth it for so cheap, it's easily worth the regular $3.99 asking price.

There are many games with lots of "choices" where they don't really matter or change anything. I'm keeping my expectations in check.
Oh, I'm not expecting that every choice will be a major one, but it'll at least provide lots of amazing dialogue. (The script of the game is stellar.) But from what I've played of the demo, the game has a ton of branching paths, so you do have quite a bit of autonomy over the flow of the story. (The 570+ choices are spread over 250+ decision points FYI.)

Have you played the demo Shizuka? It's sooooooooooooooooo good.

Shizuka

Oh, I'm not expecting that every choice will be a major one, but it'll at least provide lots of amazing dialogue. (The script of the game is stellar.) But from what I've played of the demo, the game has a ton of branching paths, so you do have quite a bit of autonomy over the flow of the story. (The 570+ choices are spread over 250+ decision points FYI.)

Have you played the demo Shizuka? It's sooooooooooooooooo good.

I thought you said the demo didn't fix a lot of things and was kinda rough, so I didn't. I did download and play the No Thank You one.

I thought you said the demo didn't fix a lot of things and was kinda rough, so I didn't. I did download and play the No Thank You one.
That was Super Health Club that still has all the bugs. (Unfortunately... ;_;)

The Coming Out on Top demo is phenomenal. It has a few minor bugs, but nothing at all that prevents the demo from giving a really meaty look at the game. I definitely say you should give it a shot. It's so, so awesome. How did you like No, Thank You's demo BTW?

Shizuka

That was Super Health Club that still has all the bugs. (Unfortunately... ;_;)

The Coming Out on Top demo is phenomenal. It has a few minor bugs, but nothing at all that prevents the demo from giving a really meaty look at the game. I definitely say you should give it a shot. It's so, so awesome. How did you like No, Thank You's demo BTW?

Too bad to hear about Super Health Club. I'll give the Comint Out on Top demo a try. Regarding NTY, I liked it enough to buy the full game when it's out.

Edit: Turns out I already played the Coming Out on Top demo. Is there a new one or something?

Too bad to hear about Super Health Club. I'll give the Comint Out on Top demo a try. Regarding NTY, I liked it enough to buy the full game when it's out.

Edit: Turns out I already played the Coming Out on Top demo. Is there a new one or something?
I'm glad you liked NTY. I really enjoyed the demo and I'm super pumped for it's release. As for Super Health Club, I just read another update on the buggy beta situation, and they seem aware of all the issues. I really hope they can start moving forward with things now.

RE: COoT, there has been two public demos (well, three if you count the super early alpha), and about three Kickstarter only versions. I believe a new public demo is planned for the near future, but don't quote me on that. If the demo you played has access to all five guys and goes through about roughly 2-3 weeks of Mark's school term, you've played the most up-to-date one.

Yuuichi

Everlasting summer, from what I've heard about it, is just 100% of what.

It's got 18+ content, or at least it did, I heard the achievement got removed but the Konami code trick might still work, I have no idea what's going on with that. People seem to like it, setting sounds interesting but I'm not digging the art, and it sounds like it suffers from some content theft. I might have time to check it out this weekend, we'll see.

But still, xвала мать Россия!

Also, I hope Seinarukana comes out in English soon, I need to talk with people about this game. I don't even know what genre to put it in anymore, as it just keeps getting crazier and crazier the more I play, and I'm only starting chapter 5/12.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Looking at the uneven quality of the art you can tell most of the assets are traced or stolen pretty much. The drawings range from good understanding of how the body looks to weird distortions all over the place.

kasane

so kira kria

IM NOT PART OF THE BAND FUCK. I should have realized sooner ;(

Edit: still saaaaaaaaaaaaaalty

rickyson1

i've always kind of had mixed feelings about visual novels sometimes I enjoy them a lot and sometimes I despise them,usually both extremes within the same one

over the past few years i've gone through ever17,cross channel,remember11,saya no uta,and muv luv and have had some seriously mixed feelings about most of them

saya no uta was the only one I enjoyed all the way through but it was also pretty short so that probably helped

muv luv was pretty bleh until it really got going at some point in alternative and then it was great but I played it at a time where the pacing actually worked out for me perfectly(I started playing it right after my dad died so it started picking up when my brain was starting to work again so to speak,I actually intentionally set out to play it right after my dad died because I thought it would help me and really do feel like it helped me cope with that whole time emotionally)

it's also pretty hard for me to start one in general with my mixed feelings about them so I haven't gone through any in almost a year now

edit: when is that corpse party thing x-seed was working on supposed to release anyways?

grim-tales

Hey,
I'm working my way through Ace Attorney: DD. I feel that while it has an overall darker tone than other AA games it seems a bit of a stretch to rate it M/PEGI 16
OK theres a bit more blood, and I think the story concentrates more on feelings/sadness and the psychological impact of what happens with the 'Dark Age of the Law' stuff, but still...

I'm about halfway (?) into Case 5, I dont want it to end!
Blackquill is a fantastic character

One post a bit further up mentioned Banshee's Last Cry, was that supposed to come to Android some time ago?

Nice thread!

I love retro games, and I still hope someday someone takes on Metal Slader Glory (or the Director's Cut version for the Super Famicom) and gives it a proper translation. Doukoku Soshite... Final Edition (Sega Saturn) and Revive... ~Sosei~ (Dreamcast) would also be nice choices, but I guess they are unpractical for translators.

grim-tales

Very strange.. I hope it comes very soon, otherwise I'll try and get the Itunes one on my PC.

Anyway.. finishing off PW: DD 5-5
What appeared to be a reveal rather like PW1-5 was shocking enough in itself, but then what occured after that was just... well, WTF even for PW :eek:

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Only 2k left, that's really close.

A little over $900 now though! Someone pointed out in the comments how more pledgers appear, but with smaller amounts. Times like this I sure wish I had more money :/ Someone on there did say they would give it even more of a bump it's SUPER close.

Shizuka

A little over $900 now though! Someone pointed out in the comments how more pledgers appear, but with smaller amounts. Times like this I sure wish I had more money :/ Someone on there did say they would give it even more of a bump it's SUPER close.

I'm sure it'll reach that goal.

LProtag

I'm, like most new people to VNs, a big fan of Danganronpa and Zero Escape.

I've been considering Umineko, will it be up my alley? Steins;Gate is on the list of things I want to play at some point too.

Loona

I play so many games for their plots I should probably pay more attention to VNs.

Any recommendations that stray a bit from high-school/teen stuff?

For what it's worth, I really enjoyed Long Live the Queen, despite its pinkness, and am currently trying Sunrider for a glimpse at more complex stuff Ren'Py is capable of.

I play so many games for their plots I should probably pay more attention to VNs.

Any recommendations that stray a bit from high-school/teen stuff?

For what it's worth, I really enjoyed Long Live the Queen, despite its pinkness, and am currently trying Sunrider for a glimpse at more complex stuff Ren'Py is capable of.

Steins;Gate is sort of bridging the gap with some older teens in university (though it's summer break so school isn't really part of the setting anyway).

Is Steins;Gate connected to Chaos;Head or Robotic;Notes somehow?

They happen in the same universe: Chaos;Head happens in 2009, Steins;Gate happens in 2010, and Robotics;Notes happens in 2019. The newest entry, Chaos;Child, is closely related to Chaos;Head and takes place in 2015. All of the games have (mostly) different casts, though.

Steins;Gate works perfectly well as a standalone read, but as stated before there are a few references (some of which you'd have to pay close attention to see).

Unfortunately, the definitive version of Chaos;Head, which is called Chaos;Head Noah, is on practically every system other than PC, and only the PC version has a fan translation
for now
. Robotics;Notes is very unlikely to get a fan translation at this point because it's only on PS3, Xbox 360, and PS Vita. This is why I wish 5pb. would just give the series a chance on consoles in the West (Vita especially).

Damn i wish WAS would be able to get past the 46k bar.
I can't up my pedge higher than it already it.

-----I've tried the NEKO PARA Vol 1 demo on steam..
It'a nice game well animated that doesn't try to do more than what it's set out to do.
Enjoyable, especially if you can't get enough of cat girls.

Thanks everyone!

Interesting point about the fan translation of Chaos;Head. I am trying to compile a list of Japanese adventure games and visual novels that have been translated to English, either by fans or through an official release. I am trying not to focus too much on visual novels alone since there are thousands of them available nowadays, but Chaos;Head is one of the titles that got me intrigued. Still, I am trying to keep the most famous VNs on my radar. Also note that I only mention on the list the platforms where there is an English version of the games available for. Here is the list so far:

999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors (DS)
Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth (DS)
Again (DS)
Another Code: R – A Journey into Lost Memories (Wii)
Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney (DS)
Banshee's Last Cry (iPhone)
Case Closed (Wii)
Chaos;Head (PC)
Clannad (PC)
Corpse Party (PSP)
Corpse Party: Book of Shadows (PSP)
Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc (Vita)
EVE: Burst Error (PC)
Ever 17: The Out of Infinity (PC)
Famicom Tantei Club Part II (SNES)
Fate/hollow ataraxia (PC)
Fate/stay night (PC)
Hatoful Boyfriend (PC)
Higurashi: When They Cry (PC)
Hotel Dusk (DS)
Jake Hunter: Crash and Burn (iPhone)
Jake Hunter: Detective Chronicles (DS)
Jake Hunter: Memories of the Past (DS)
Jake Hunter: Seaside City Conspiracy (iPhone)
Katawa Shoujo (PC)
Last Window: The Secret of Cape West (DS)
LifeSigns: Surgical Unit (DS)
Love Hina (GBA)
Love Plus (DS)
Lux Pain (DS)
Never 7: The End of Infinity (PC)
Phantasy Star Adventure (Game Gear)
Phantasy Star II Text Adventures (Mega Drive/Sega Genesis)
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (DS, Wii, iPhone, 3DS)
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies (3DS, iPhone)
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Justice for All (DS, Wii, iPhone, 3DS)
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Trials and Tribulations (DS, Wii, iPhone, 3DS)
Policenauts (Playstation)
Portpia Renzoku Satsujin Jiken (NES)
Princess Debut (DS)
Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (3DS)
Radical Dreamers (SNES)
Remember 11: The Age of Infinity (PC)
Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love (Wii, PS2)
Saya no Uta (PC)
Shinpi no Sekai El-Hazard (GBA)
Snatcher (Sega CD)
Steins;Gate (PC)
Theresia (DS)
Time Hollow (DS)
Tokimeki Memorial Girl’s Side: 1st Love (DS)
Tokimeki Memorial Girl’s Side: 2nd Kiss (DS)
Tokimeki Memorial Girl’s Side: 3rd Story (PSP)
Touch Detective (DS)
Touch Detective 2 ½ (DS)
Trace Memory (DS)
Umineko: When They Cry (PC, partial translation)
Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward (3DS, Vita)

I am getting really loose on the term "adventure" or "visual novel" here, since I have included LifeSigns, Princess Debut and Sakura Wars on the list. Also, there are some oddballs, such as El-Hazard, which was originally released for the Sega Saturn and PC, but then ported to the GBA and translated by a fan.

There are also some games that are not included on the list that puzzle me. Play Novel: Silent Hill was released for the GBA, and then ported to the Sega Genesis and translated to Russian. Also, there is Yuu Yuu Hakusho Gaiden, which was released for the Mega Drive in Japan and was being translated to English by a fan (there are a couple videos on YouTube), but apparently the project was dropped. Finally, there is Memories Off 6: T-Wave, which is available at the American iTunes store, but only in Japanese.

Shizuka

You missed Hakuoki: Demon of the Fleeting Blossom (Memories of the Shinsengumi, Stories of the Shinsengumi) and Sweet Fuse.

I haven't pledged yet, but I do have one question about it since Google searches on it have taken me in circles.

It seems like a drama VN with some sense of having bishoujo and the demo is really nice.

That's all I can really tell outside of the Kickstarter information. So what is this visual novel really and how long is it?

Kara No Shoujo (detective VN) would be right up your alley. You could also try YU-NO: A girl who chants love at the bound of this world (adventure visual novel).

You missed Hakuoki: Demon of the Fleeting Blossom (Memories of the Shinsengumi, Stories of the Shinsengumi) and Sweet Fuse.
Also...

Trace Memory R (Wii, PAL only), DanganRonpa 2: Goodbye Despair (Vita), XBLAZE: Code Embryo (Vita/PS3), Ace Attorney Investigations 2: Miles Edgeworth (DS, multiple fan translations), No, Thank You!!! (PC), and The Professor Layton games If they are being considered.

There's also a bunch of really horrible translated games on iOS/Android, and some Steam games, but I don't know if people consider those worthy. O_O

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
So what is this visual novel really and how long is it?

I haven't tried the demo (since I don't do demos anymore) but I mean I guess that's the best sample of what it will be like. Not too much info on it, and it's fairly new in Japan too (just came out in August).

Just stinks that we are SO CLOSE and yet so far with everyone dropping pledges. Would suck if we got so close and couldn't make the full voice acting goal...

Lain

I hope Jast fixes their purchase problem before Girlish Grimoire Littlewitch Romanesque gets released, since I'd like to get the free DL copy and the cheaper shipping cost compared to J-List.

Yuuichi

I hope Jast fixes their purchase problem before Girlish Grimoire Littlewitch Romanesque gets released, since I'd like to get the free DL copy and the cheaper shipping cost compared to J-List.

I know this might come as a shock, but Jast and Jlist are run by the same guy: Peter Payne (who I personally think is a detriment to the scene but that's a whole other story).

Lain

I know this might come as a shock, but Jast and Jlist are run by the same guy: Peter Payne (who I personally think is a detriment to the scene but that's a whole other story).

Yeah, but the Jast shop asks for $7.50 to ship the game to Italy, Jlist asks for $16.70 or so minimum, which is why I'd rather go with Jast (if they fix the purchase in time).

Shizuka

Grisaia KS Update: at this point, it looks like the initial goal will be "the entire trilogy" rather than just Kajitsu.

Couple of reasons for that. Mainly, it makes things simpler. You can pledge for all three games from day one.

Response was also really, really good, so the trilogy goal doesn't seem like a huge stretch at this point.

There should also be good news about more affordable physical versions, but I don't think that's completely settled yet.

From @koestl.

Thanks for the contributions. I mentioned "Trace Memory" R through its European title (Another Code R).

Was Danganronpa 2 fan translated? And was 999: The Novel originally released in Japan? I had no idea it exists!

Also, has anyone ever tried to translate Baroque Syndrome (Playstation)? Baroque for the Sega Saturn is one of my favorite games (I haven't played the Wii/PS2 "remake", though), so it would be great to have Syndrome available in English. But I guess it's just a dream at this point.

Top Bottom