• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Visual Novels Community Thread | A Little Something for Everyone

I just wanna chime in and say I finished Corpse Party a couple of days ago and it was pretty good. It's not perfect but it slowly got better the more I played it. I'm gonna start book of shadows in a few days to see where it goes. I head there is a Vita game as well, is that getting localized at all?

Also I've always wanted to play Another Code R but that never came out in NA. I don't even have a Wii anymore so modding is out of the question. I thought maybe I could watch a let's play on youtube but they all seem to be german. Does anyone got a link or something to an english one. It's been so long since I played the original trace memory but I remember it being decent enough and the Wii sequel looks gorgeous.

I don't like having to reformat my system just to switch regions.

As far as I know, you can play physical games from any region regardless of what region the system is set to. The main limitation is that you can't download DLC for such games (but I think I heard patches work). I don't have any first-hand experience with that, though.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Yeah you don't have to reformat just to use your JP game carts. I play Project Diva f just fine on my US account so I have no idea what you're talking about and calc you can download patches like you said.

grim-tales

Finishing up PW: DD
What the actual fuck? A witness/criminal (?) that keeps changing faces/personalities this is just too weird

th

8 hours to go and the WAS kickstarter is now at 57k

This is very good ..for me , the project is sucessfull since i don't care about the next "target"
At least for now ... I don't think the project will be able to gather 8k in 8 hours

killatopak

Played Kira Kira a few years ago.

Damn that game. T__T

Edit: If you could somehow get a copy of Tsukihime, I greatly recommend playing it instead of watching the anime.

Shizuka

8 hours to go and the WAS kickstarter is now at 57k

This is very good ..for me , the project is sucessfull since i don't care about the next "target"
At least for now ... I don't think the project will be able to gather 8k in 8 hours

I wish the Android port stretch goal was a Vita goal, like the one for WEE.

Shizuka

With every Sekai Project game 50% off on Steam because of the Steam Autumn Sale, I'm getting Planetarian. Is there any other visual novel on Steam I should get?

Comyu – Black Dragon in a Gentle Kingdom Review :
*Unmarked Spoilers begin with Common Route*

PUhkBfC.png

I wanted to like this a lot more than I can objectively say that it deserves. A genuinely interesting world with well thought out mechanics in which random groups of 5 individuals are “linked” together and granted the ability to call down mythical beasts, is squandered by what amounts to a borderline nonsenical progression of events. A genuinely enjoyable cast of characters whose banter amongst each other often times leaves you smiling or laughing along with the action is often times overshadowed by a gloriously idiotic MC who's immense amount of stupidity can leave you wanting to turn the damn thing off … multiple times. Most of the individual character routes have their shining moments proceeded with a “but” or an “if only”, never really reaching a level where you feel entirely satisfied with what went down.

And as for the sex (and this is something I usually don't even bother mentioning in a review) there are scenes that are so poorly handled (not even written in some cases, just the very circumstances in which they're presented) as to literally ruin the development of a character. This is the first time in a long time (since I read Fate/Stay Night) that I've encountered sex in a VN that's actively lowered my opinion of the piece as a whole.

Such is where we begin with Comyu.

Unmarked spoilers below!

Common Route :

Simultaneously the highlight of the VN and the source for all of my frustrations that come with the latter half of the story. You're presented here with the world and its inherent mechanics. Groups of 5 random individuals are brought together and given the power to control a ridiculous beast. There are no rules or any guiding principal binding the way in which they should use their power, its just handed to groups of 5 at random intervals. They can literally do what they want. Any individual person can summon the beast as they please but naturally they're easier to handle when more people in the group are present. Disagreements within the group with respect to controlling the monster are handled democratically, if 2 people want monster to do X and 2 people want monster to do Y then the thing locks up until the 5th in the group makes the decision one way or another. And naturally, if the monster dies everyone in the group dies along with it. There's a really neat potential for storytelling here that becomes immediately apparent. What happens when a normal dude finds himself in a group filled with fucking serial characters? How do you stop some selfish dude in your group from summoning the group's beast in a terrible situation and getting themselves killed while taking the rest of the group with them? There's a lot of directions you could take with a story like this and the dynamic between the individual members of the group and the group amongst other groups is something that could be really crafted into an interesting story. I'd started writing my review after reading the common route and my enthusiasm at that point in the tale was palpable and the way in which the main group progress from a perspective of ignorance about the world around them to being exposed to the much larger community of people who can also summon crazy super duper animals is one that honestly had me excited to see more of the story. It's unfortunate that the VN never really capitalizes on all of it.

Benio Route :

The biggest problem I find with this route is that you're given a character that has a clearly naive worldview in wanting to be a "Hero of justice" for all, this person finds themself in situations where that worldview should be actively challenged and developed through the course of this route, but never ultimately changes in a way that I could say was meaningful. In the common route you're tasked with taking on a guy named Jack the Ripper who had gone completely insane and started fucking shit up in super duper crazy monster land. In this route you learn a bit more about Jack and the people he was connected to before things went down but it's never really made a significant focus in the development of Benio's character. The entire line connecting Jack with the people around him is never actually expanded on either, its just something thrown out there as a "hey, that's neat" and moves on to other things.

And the other things kinda suck because they highlight how much of a shit our MC is. This is a quote from him during one particular scene :
Fighting … probably won't change anything. It could make the situation worse, but not better. It's easy to talk about reasons to do it when you know that it's useless. Taking something away from someone else. There's nothing special about that. It happens all the time, everywhere you look. It's everywhere. But does that mean we're going to stay quiet? Will we do nothing just because we can't do anything? Will we just keep letting it happen? … That's why we won't forgive him. We have no idea what's right in this situation. But so what?

WHAT? This is the first time he pulls this shit but its a common thread throughout other parts of the VN. Our MC will actively point out why his idea is fucking stupid or insanely hypocritical given his previous actions. He internalizes this thought and is fully cogent of the ramification of what he's going to do, often times giving really good fucking reasons as to why he shouldn't be doing it. And then he does it anyway. In this case he's about to fight a guy trying to institute a new government within the community of teenagers who control ridiculous monsters. The previous government was pretty shit and incapable of doing their job in a time that the community needed them the most so he's going about it in a constructive way. We're fighting him because fuck it this route needs a climatic battle let's goooooooo. What? Is this the Benio route? No this route isn't really about her at the end of the day.

Purple Haired Girl Route :
This one was more traditional battle shounen. Like I love me some tournament arcs and our group stumbles on an underground fighting ring in which they have all the excuse in the world to just fuck shit up over and over again. And this is great up until the point where they tell a compelling story along with it. The only memorable thing that comes out of this is that the VN has sex with the main girl of this route a mere hours after half a dozen people in his classroom get their heads chopped off … in the same school in which said students had their heads chopped off. Bad ending was pretty good.

Mayuki & Chipmunk Routes :

These are more like side routes I feel like. The Mayuki route ended up being a bit of a disappointment because of all the people in the group she's probably the most likable with her random quips and references to fan-fiction and internet memes. She's funny and is the source of a lot of the enjoyment I had in the VN … unfortunately she's the best outside of her own route. For one reason or another it seems to focus a lot on the world building of the fan-fiction that shes working on? 80% of this route is focused on

1. Image board trolling and the effects of cyberbullying
2. Idols
3. The world and characters that Mayuki's fan-fiction revolves around???

Like I'm all for more mellow routes but there's a line to be drawn when you're diverting attention away from the instant access to a goddamn dragon monster that anyone can pull out at anytime. What made them think this would be a good idea?

Chipmunk was warm and fuzzy and short enough to where it didn't overstay its welcome. There aren't any asspulls or bullshit justifications for starting a fight with someone either. For that reason it ends up probably being the best dedicated route in the entire story.

Kagome Route :

-sigh-

Where to start with the Kagome route. As the last and seemingly most climatic route this one pretty much exemplifies everything right and wrong about the VN. There are a lot of answers to questions that have been dangled in front of us since the beginning of the series. Who is the person giving out these super duper monsters? What's causing it? Who are the owners of X or Y mysterious monster that show up out of no where? There are a lot of very cool and interesting twists here that I enjoyed reading … but again they're all flavored with an MC who is still a colossal tit and writing that creates characters and events that doesn't much the means in which they're developed or the particular moment they're presented. It's all the VN and its flaws condensed into a single route.

Like I said, I wanted to like this VN a lot more than I can ultimately say that it deserves. The world is interesting, the platform is interesting, and I'd absolutely love it if the developers came back to this world with a more keen eye for storytelling. There's potential here that's not being made use of and it's unfortunate because its been a LONG time since a VN's been able to thoroughly sink its teeth into me like this one did, there are elements here that could absolutely be salvaged with some cuts and rewrites but the final product just doesn't come together outside of the common route.

2/5

Arcticfox

Is the steam version of "If Wy Heart Had WIngs" the terribly translated censored version? There is a mature content warning when I try to view it.
It is censored, but the group that created the uncensored and fixed translation patch said they plan on releasing an updated file for the Steam version this week.

Yuuichi

Comyu – Black Dragon in a Gentle Kingdom Review :

Hate to spoil the fun (or lack thereof) but I would appreciate it if you tag your spoilers or the whole review, in accordance with the second rule.

And let this be a friendly reminder to read the rules in the first post! There are only four of them and they shouldn't be too hard to follow.

Hate to spoil the fun (or lack thereof) but I would appreciate it if you tag your spoilers or the whole review, in accordance with the second rule.

And let this be a friendly reminder to read the rules in the first post! There are only four of them and they shouldn't be too hard to follow.

This seems really unnecessary. That post is so clearly labeled and separated to the point where it's more effective than black bars.

Yuuichi

This seems really unnecessary. That post is so clearly labeled and separated to the point where it's more effective than black bars.

I've had entire games spoiled for me because I missed the single "unmarked spoilers below" line in reviews, so I beg to differ. I also don't really want to have double standards, so I am going to ask anyone and everyone to do it.

I've had entire games spoiled for me because I missed the single "unmarked spoilers below" line in reviews, so I beg to differ. I also don't really want to have double standards, so I am going to ask anyone and everyone to do it.
Why are you putting on airs of authority? Making the OP doesn't make you a deputy mod.

My apologies for offending you, how do you suggest we prevent people from inadvertently getting spoiled then?
Sorry, I came off as a harsher than I intended. And I may have been misreading your tone. I don't have an objection to using spoiler tags, I'd rather just not see the thread become super paranoid about such things.

Yuuichi

Sorry, I came off as a harsher than I intended. And I may have been misreading your tone. I don't have an objection to using spoiler tags, I'd rather just not see the thread become super paranoid about such things.

Honestly that probably escalated faster than it should have on both of our parts.

I don't really like being that horrible rule stickler either, but I have had entire games spoiled for me in reading some reviews on other sites or blogs because it's pretty damn easy to miss that one little line, and it's a really nasty feeling once you've realized what you've accidentally done; and I just don't want other people to have to deal with that. I would prefer that we be self policing so that mods don't have to get involved.

I can see how I came off as kind of overbearing about the whole thing though, for which I do apologize.

Marche90

I have a suggestion that hopefully should leave both parties happy:

Why not add an addendum to the spoiler rule? If you leave unmarked spoilers in your post, the post title should say so. That way, it will be hard to not notice such a warning

oh, and make it so only reviews can only use this. When discussing a vn normally, spoiler tags should apply

Hopefully I've made it more clear where the spoilers begin with the new labeling. Sorry if I ended up spoiling anyone that was just skimming the thing. If there's any solace then the only thing I went in depth on were the mechanics of the world itself which are all things that are revealed and expanded on during the common route. I left the major plot points in each of the character specific routes un-discussed.

Oh wow... didn't notice there was a new thread... haha

Thinking of trying out Danganronpa... Sadly I don't have a vita... :( I'm assuming there's not way to patch the iOS or android version, huh? >_>

Also, anyone with the Steam version of If My Heart Had Wings know if the translation was changed or improved at all from the retail version? I'm still waiting on the patch before starting my copy, but I'm curious to know if the Steam version is any different.

I don't know, I'll give it a try first before thinking about the patch.
I know that official English version has kinda bad translation and censorship, but...
I've played that version first and really liked the story and atmosphere of the two main routes. Then when fan patch came out I tried to replay Kotori route, but those H-scenes completely ruined the mood of the whole game for me, so I've just stopped and reinstalled original version back.

Shizuka

I know that official English version has kinda bad translation and censorship, but...
I've played that version first and really liked the story and atmosphere of the two main routes. Then when fan patch came out I tried to replay Kotori route, but those H-scenes completely ruined the mood of the whole game for me, so I've just stopped and reinstalled original version back.

I think the same thing would happen to me, I could care less about the H-scenes myself.

Oh wow... didn't notice there was a new thread... haha

Thinking of trying out Danganronpa... Sadly I don't have a vita... :( I'm assuming there's not way to patch the iOS or android version, huh? >_>

Also, anyone with the Steam version of If My Heart Had Wings know if the translation was changed or improved at all from the retail version? I'm still waiting on the patch before starting my copy, but I'm curious to know if the Steam version is any different.
The translation is the same.

The translation is the same.

Meh, that's a bit disappointing to hear...

Yeah, it's an odd balance... I want the better translation, but the H-scenes feel a bit out of place in this game... It takes away from some of the innocence I feel there is. :/

Josephl64

Normally I would say removing the H-scenes takes something out of the game even on an emotional level...but the game's story felt too subpar to me that even with a proper translation I doubt it would change anything for me.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Small update on fault milestone one!
Hi backers!

Proud to announce that fault milestone one is done with translations, we're now in the process of finalizing the production of the game so it'll be ready by the end of the year.

A quick question to beta backers, do you want to see the rest of the game (ch 5-8) before we finalize our editing and QA passes? Please remember that beta releases are not indicative of final product so there will be some roughness as it is a beta. If there is enough demand we can release put it up on Steam by end of next week.

Meh, that's a bit disappointing to hear...

Yeah, it's an odd balance... I want the better translation, but the H-scenes feel a bit out of place in this game... It takes away from some of the innocence I feel there is. :/

The better translation patch isn't done yet, nor does it look to be done any time soon. There are only a few minor fixes in the current restoration patch.

Normally I would say removing the H-scenes takes something out of the game even on an emotional level...but the game's story felt too subpar to me that even with a proper translation I doubt it would change anything for me.
A proper translation doesn't exist.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
I just finished Kimi to Kanojo to Kanojo no Koi. Holy shit. The plot twist didn't come in as a surprise, since a screenshot spoiled that for me (also the reason I started this VN). However for the life of me I could never guess the bigger plot twist that happened afterward, the game just continue to bombard me with surprises one after another.

This is definitely one of the most interest VN I played since Steins;Gate, and it is not just because of the plot twist (explaining the interesting part would be major spoiler).

I ended up spending 6 hours to get all the endings plus true end, finding the true end was painful, but it is worth the effort. So far only Chinese translation is available, I don't think any English group is picking this up, which is a shame I would pay full price for this without hesitation.

But if anyone have a chance to play this game, I would suggest going in completely blind. Do not use a guide until you reach the ending, it will ruin the most important part of the game.

aravuus

Oh come on, you can't start with this

I just finished Kimi to Kanojo to Kanojo no Koi. Holy shit. The plot twist didn't come in as a surprise, since a screenshot spoiled that for me (also the reason I started this VN). However for the life of me I could never guess the bigger plot twist that happened afterward, the game just continue to bombard me with surprises one after another.

This is definitely one of the most interest VN I played since Steins;Gate, and it is not just because of the plot twist (explaining the interesting part would be major spoiler).

And then say this

So far only Chinese translation is available, I don't think any English group is picking this up, which is a shame I would pay full price for this without hesitation.

I probably wouldn't have read your post at all if I had known you were talking about a VN I can't possibly read right now, now I'm sad!

And in the meantime I bet the groups are fan translating some stupid fucking romantic VN where you have sex with children or monsters or something else

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
I probably wouldn't have read your post at all if I had known you were talking about a VN I can't possibly read right now, now I'm sad!

And in the meantime I bet the groups are fan translating some stupid fucking romantic VN where you have sex with children or monsters or something else
This is a really toxic attitude regardless of subject material. Fan translation groups aren't like some finite resource that could've been redirected to whatever you yourself are interested in reading. It's (a lot of) selfless work for almost no thanks and as the name implies, done out of fandom, not based on what's popular/good and not out of responsibility to hopeful players. Feeling resentment that something you don't like is being worked on is misguided.

aravuus

This is a really toxic attitude regardless of subject material. Fan translation groups aren't like some finite resource that could've been redirected to whatever you yourself are interested in reading. It's (a lot of) selfless work for almost no thanks and as the name implies, done out of fandom, not based on what's popular/good and not out of responsibility to hopeful players. Feeling resentment that something you don't like is being worked on is misguided.

I was joking

Verelios

Fate Hollow Ataraxia is pretty interesting. Although it doesn't have the subtlety of Urob, Type Moon does invoke certain feelings even with all their fluff.

Many thanks to the translators who've finally finished the translation. 7 years. That's dedication.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Oh come on, you can't start with this

And then say this

Haha have hope, it was a pretty popular title because of the plot. I am sure someone eventually will.

Yuuichi

I just finished Kimi to Kanojo to Kanojo no Koi. Holy shit. ect ect.

Interestingly, I think you're the only person I can think of who actually liked the game. I know all the twists because I spoiled myself on the pretense that my playing it was very unlikely, and it honestly seems like more of a cute novelty than [KtKtKnK & KEY Spoilers, don't open unless you've read everything recent]
Rewrite and Little Busters, which rather than abuse the fourth wall to try and create something interesting ala KtK, take the medium and it's advantages to tell stories that would otherwise be impossible to tell as is. KtK probably would have been more interesting if it had been more subtle about what it was doing.

Dunno, maybe I'll have to check it out at some point if I ever actually manage to thin out my backlog. Speaking of backlog, my copy of LightBox 2014 is in the mail, remind me to never ship things with books ever again. Pictures if people want them later this week, I should probably decide between starting Soranica Ele and Vermillion before it gets here.

Interestingly, I think you're the only person I can think of who actually liked the game.

Totono is usually disliked because of its writing and not because it's missing subtlety or anything like that. The game is not supposed to be subtle. I remember being somewhat amazed at the gimmicks the game employs and because it's so short it's always worth a read, but I'm speaking from the perspective of someone who read it unspoiled right after release, it probably doesn't have the same effect if you know what kind of game this is.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
^ Same here, I went in completely unprepare for whatever's coming.

But even before the said plot twist, I was enjoying the plot in a weird way. May be I just enjoy the atmosphere,
sad people making sad decision

May be I should give Rewrite and Little Buster a try next.

Top Bottom