• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's some of the most openly racist acts you've personally experienced?

I was told that I shouldn't walk around alone, because "you never know what will happen to you all alone, whitey."

I was then informed that I hated black people, which was news to me.

PillarEN

UK right? If not, then it's the same thing here. Know a guy who got in trouble for defending himself even when there was security footage outside the shop he got mugged at.
No. This was in the Czech Republic. Obviously not everything is perfect and I can see why there would be laws against excessive defense, you know?
However, it was really slimy to me after hearing how the defense attacked my cousin. I mean one, he he didn't leave the two perpetrators to die and immediately called for help, 2, it seems that if he had no experience with self defense that would have actually worked in his favor. That really pisses me off. He's a guy, ok, we don't have to be as paranoid as women. Fair enough. But I would be absolutely stunned if for example instead of my cousin being male he was female (theoretically) and someone tried to pull the same stunt of saying "well she knows self defense so she should be fined for causing injury to these men".
Boy I would be livid. And I doubt they would try that. I mean I hate what happened to him, but that argument that one knows how to fight against criminals as if that's a bad thing really makes me sick

I mean, I've probably witnessed worst honestly, but the one that really was tough was hearing my childhood best friend spew vile and racist shit last time I had him over.

We hadn't spoken in awhile, and I knew that he was raised in a conservative family growing up, but I wasn't expecting what I got.

On an attempt to reconnect, my fiancé and I had him and his girl over to our place. After a few hours of hanging out that seemed to go well, politics came up and things went south. I'm not just talking about "BlueLivesMatter" nonsense, I'm talking about "Black people would be better off if the south had won the Civil War" or, when I put on some Chance The Rapper in the background, his exclamation that "This isn't so bad for n- music."

Let's just say I promptly asked him to leave, and haven't spoken to him sense.

Is that a stereotype in China? That white people have big dicks?

Not really.

Huh. That's pretty weird. Were they saying it in a way that a foreigner might have thought to themselves "uh yeah ok guys, arms to yourself eh heh heh", or was it sort of a hostile encounter?

Hostile. They held my arm pretty strongly.

Did people take random pictures of you? Is the place where you were staying not used to tourists? Or is it homogeneous enough where any outsider is still sort has a "wow" factor on a good part of the country?

That happens once in a while, even in Beijing, when "Non-Beijingers" come to visit it.

The racism you encounter is also based on a lot of foreigners there who treat China as a "playground". As a white male, you can easily get "Tinder" matches. You can earn well without any degree if you are an english native speaker. A lot/some cant speak a lick of Chinese even though they lived there for over 10 years.
I know foreigners who see themselves higher than Chinese, then act like monkeys in China.

I think those people, even though they might just be a minority (though I know a lot like that) taint the image of the "white westerner".

On the other hand a lot of people admire "us". They think westerners must be rich and well-mannered. They only like foreign products.

Crayons

Banned
I can't say I've experienced a lot of racism in my life. Maybe the worst was rural white people staring at my family

Lots of homophobia though

CSJ

My best friend at the time just out of nowhere started rambling about foreigners and immigrants "taking our jobs". He should've known better that I am a child of immigrants.
I dropped him like it's hot after telling him what was what; he didn't back down.

I'm white with an English accent so people assume otherwise.
It's crazy how other whites around me feel the need to sprout shit about that kind of stuff and it's like..uh, well...actually...

Nothing directly against me obviously, but that's the worst.

These are just things from my current job.

- On Tuesday I was told my hands were "too black" to be a model for a photo.
- One day when we were bored some of us were trying to see who could place a post-it note the highest on the wall, when I jumped higher than one co-worker he told me I had a genetic advantage.
- That same co-worker a few weeks later said "you know, you're acting real uppity today."
- Ambiguiously brown co-worker was told he was starting to look like Bin-Laden after he shaved his beard, but of course he's not to type to be "offended by that kind of thing". *shrug*
- Got the "I don't see color" speech from my manager after she botched a riddle and made into something kind of racist.

As I type these things out, I'm genuinely wondering why I still work there.

trixx

I don't know, I've either had too many encounters that's it's hard for me to compare or that I no longer care

Outward racism isn't a big deal to me, if anything I commend them for their honesty.

Covert is way worse

I was with my family, on our way to my aunts wedding in Connecticut from NY. Not long after we entered the state, a group of white frat boys were driving near our car, yelling "Niggers" at us on the highway. The cowards drove off to an exit soon after and we just kept pressing on to the wedding.

Probably one of the earliest examples of racism Ive encountered.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
So many. Let's go with the most recent one as of last summer.

I moved to a new city and state over a year ago. I live in a very nice area. I ride the bus to work and cross an intersection to start my walk home down a long "hill". The area is active with people walking dogs, jogging, or just taking family walks. I started to notice that an older white woman would walk in the middle of the road on this long road. There is a tiny median but it is curved and cars do zoom by. Given that both sides of the street have a sidewalk, I was puzzled why she walked in the middle of the road talking on the phone. Inevitably when we passed, she would cross the street onto the same sidewalk as I as we continued walking our opposite direction.

More and more this happened until one day I spotted her cross into the middle of the road. I saw her from the distance as we approached each other but her head was down. When she looked up, and I assume, saw me, she crossed to walk in the middle of the road until we passed each other. It was then that she cross back onto the sidewalk. This took me by surprise and with each day it happened, I figured that she was doing so because I was a guy and there was no one else around. Each time she was on the phone. I wondered if she had been attacked. For the briefest moment, I then became alarmed. Had someone been attacked in this nice, quiet neighborhood without me knowing? Was I safe to walk these streets? Is this why a police vehicle parked in the church parking lot as I made my journey down the long road home? If I had pearls, they were clutched when the thought of the neighborhood not being safe entered my mind.

I thought nothing more but it kept nagging at me that this older woman who seemed to be in her 50's kept crossing the street when she saw me. That was until one day we happened to walk in the same direction. She was in front, and I was behind by some distance, though I was the faster walker and was closing the distance between us. This was a pretty active day. I watched as she passed a white couple on the sidewalk, and then a woman with a dog. She had not budged and kept her pace on the winding sidewalk. A guy turned the corner from a cross street further up ahead and jogged in our direction. A man. Her. Alone on the sidewalk. Will she cross? No. She didn't. He waved at her as he jogged past and she kept her stride unabated. That was until a young black girl stepped onto the sidewalk. Of all that passed her, this immediately forced the woman to walk into the middle of the road until the young black woman passed her. And then the older woman crossed back onto the sidewalk when she felt it was safe. The young woman and I exchanged looks as we passed each other. It was at this point that the white woman turned around and saw that I was too close. She crossed back into the middle of the road, despite the cars that were off in the distance. I shook my head.

I didn't want to believe it but this woman refused to share the same sidewalk with anyone that was black. Man or Woman. It gets worse.

The last time I saw her was a day I worked late. I exited the bus at my normal stop waiting for the light to turn green to cross the intersection that turned into the long winding road. I crossed and the light turned red behind me. To my surprise, as I started my trek home I saw her. Her eyes darted to her left to see if she could cross into the middle of the road but alas, she was nearly at the intersection and she realized that it would not do to walk in the middle of the road at this point. So what did she do? She moved as far right to the edge of the sidewalk as she could, lifted the scarf around her nose and mouth securing it with her hand, and turned her head to the right. To walk pass me on the same sidewalk, she covered her mouth so as not to breathe the same air as I, and she turned her head so that she did not have to look at me.

I laughed and I cried. I've been followed in stores. Called "you people". Called the "N" word. I've been "questioned" about where I lived (in a nice area). I've had cops pull out their weapons. I've never had someone attempt with all their might to not share a side walk, eye glance, or oxygen as me.

How god damn egregious. These fucking cases, man.

Gastone

A dude that was doing the asian squat on a sidewalk threw food at me while i was walking past him. This was in Guangzhou, China. Didn't really think much of it, i looked at him and chuckled. Maybe he hates whitey or was just very upset about his shitty food

rjinaz

My Father proudly has himself in Black face on his facebook banner when he dressed up as a Black guy for Halloween! Hilarious am i rite?

I'm White. When I was like 10 I had a Mexican friend, his family literally just came from Mexico. A group of Hispanic workers working on a house were laughing at me and my friend told me they were making fun of me for being White.

I was called a "White boy" one time at a fast food place. When I worked as a security guard at a Target, "White" slurs were thrown at me a lot.

It's funny at those times I was real pissed off by those instances, but now I can't help but laugh. In America I'm not sure there is a greater compliment than to be called White.

Hallowed

When I was younger (early teens), I was walking with my cousins to the shop, and this gang of white boys started staring at us aggressively. We literally did nothing at all to them, we were just minding our own business. They taunted us with racial slurs (paki), then one pulled out a knife. We ran like hell, lol.

This was in the UK, by the way.

While in a store a few years ago I witnessed an asian lady harmlessly brush past another women. This woman, who was with her kids, proceeded to shout at the top of her voice "You fucking paki (I really hate typing that) bitch".

The asian lady simply replied "I'm Indian thank you very much" and walked away. It still surprises me how calmly she dealt with the situation.

HylianTom

Banned
Another story from my youth.

I was a college freshman in 1996.

That September, my friend Mike, some guys from our dorm, and I were all hanging out in the dormitory common room, watching TV. Just as with my previous story, everyone present in the room was white - about 9 or 10 guys altogether. Except for me and Mike, most of the other folks were from rural areas around Misssisippi. Lots of "good ol' boys." "Country boys."

As we were shooting pool, the news came on TV. It began with Election '96 coverage - Clinton vs Dole. This prompted discussion of the campaign.

We got to the point where one of the country boys asked the other, "So.. who're ya votin' for?"

He responded, "I dunno. Who are all of the n------ votin' for?"

"Clinton."

Then came the response from the other guy: "In that case, I'm voting for the other guy."

I was stunned. The other guy from New Orleans, Mike, shot a look at me like, "What the hell?!" Several of the other guys either laughed or nodded. The conversation moved on to other topics, and Mike and I skedaddled.

====

(I know this isn't racism directed at myself, but I figured it'd be worth sharing. There are a TON of "just-us-white-folks" moments, and when someone tries to pull the whole "racism isn't a problem" bullshit, I think of moments like this where people reveal their true selves in private.)

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Technically never experienced racism personally, but being a very fair skinned redhead I receive rather constant negative and stereotypical comments and sometimes attacks about that from all angles. From total strangers on the streets or in stores to even my own friends, colleagues and relatives at times. Really makes me feel welcome and comfortable, especially in public like bars and other social venues.

Living in LI for some years now I have seen a great deal of racism towards Blacks and Latinos. Never personally witnessed anything openly said or done to an actual minority, but a whole lot of white people talking shit either coded or just outright among themselves. So no surprise LI is super segregated and has issue with massive inequality.

How many of y'all have had people tryna touch your hair?

Like what is with that shit

I've surprisingly experience this a lot. It is annoying as fuck. I also get "is it your real color" comments far more than one would ever expect, especially given I have a light stubble beard at all times.

As a white Canadian male, I don't think I've ever been on the receiving end of racism, and thankfully I don't think I've seen it too often since I've generally lived in fairly multicultural neighbourhoods and gone to pretty ethnically diverse schools. However, that's meant the few times I have experienced it, they really stand out in my memory:

1) The summer where racists were trying to make the "Ground Zero Mosque" a thing, I was at a bank getting some money out. The cashier (a white woman in her 50s) went to the back, and when she returned she saw the TV behind her was playing a story about it.

Her, shaking her head: "Such a shame."

Me: "...what do you mean by that?"

Her: "Those Muslims, they're taking over everywhere."

I don't think I've ever yelled at complete strangers as much as I did after that. I ripped into her for being a racist idiot, and told her that I didn't want her touching my money with her bigoted hands. Then I walked over to the customer service desk, and filed a complaint about her with the branch. Then I went home and called my bank to file another official complaint, this time with the corporate headquarters. I never heard back from the bank branch, but the HQ called me to let me know she'd been ordered to take sensitivity training, which is better than nothing, I guess.

2) At the height of the Mohamed cartoons controversy (so, like, 2006?), I was visiting a friend's apartment. Her roommate and I got into a heated debate about it, which ended with the roommate yelling at me that it was all a Jewish conspiracy, that the Jews controlled everything, etc. I left, and the next evening I met up with my friend to walk somewhere. The walk lasted, like, a minute, because our conversation went something like:

Her: "Sorry, things got out of hand yesterday..."

Me: "Yeah, that was pretty crazy."

Her: "...but she's right, you know. The Jews really do control everything."

That was the last time I ever spoke with her. It was really weird, and pretty disappointing, because the friend (a black woman) was on all sorts of multicultural committees and groups, and otherwise had never said or done anything to indicate she believed in racist conspiracy theories.

And just to counter the bad stories, one that turned out well: in 2003 I was visiting London, and a little lost, so I walked for awhile until I got tired and sat down on a bench. I put my bag down next to me, and when someone went to sit down next to me, I pulled the bag off the seat and onto my lap so that I wasn't taking up two spots on the bench...only for the person to assume I did it because he was black. He yelled at me for being racist as I tried to explain myself, but he wasn't having any of it. Finally, he ended by shouting, "People are such cunts!"

Me: "Well...yeah."

Him: "What, you agree that people are cunts?"

"Of course."

He immediately smiled, shook my hand, and told me I was alright. We ended up talking for about half an hour afterwards as he told me all the things I needed to do as a tourist.

Watched a Polish family being denied service on ethnic grounds in a barbers in Liverpool a couple of years ago. Walked out after them.

NoName999

I was 19 years old and dropping off my paperwork to select what dormitory I wanted to stay in. I handed my paper to a skinny white kid at the desk. He looked over it and told me that I missed a question and he instantly told me to answer "Yes"

The question:

"Do have any priors or have had any criminal record?"

So when I looked at him he looked wide eyed at me like I was going to beat him right then and there.

I answered no.

Only white family, a lot of the time at Thanksgivings or Christmas I'd hear stuff to the degree of "Theres a different between blacks and n*****s" and a lot of "I'm not racist, but" and general complaining about Mexicans.

Of course a lot of these people voted for Trump. I've learned that a lot of my family thinks racism only equals direct targeting of individual minorities via personal action of one or a group of people, and anything on a wider scale doesn't exist. Among the family, the split is easily traceable to those who watch Fox News and those who don't. A lot of my family comes from Missouri, and the ones that watch Fox News are the problematic ones and the ones who voted for Trump. My father doesn't and didn't.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I laughed and I cried. I've been followed in stores. Called "you people". Called the "N" word. I've been "questioned" about where I lived (in a nice area). I've had cops pull out their weapons. I've never had someone attempt with all their might to not share a side walk, eye glance, or oxygen as me.
This one is a particular brand of crazy and hateful. The breathtaking stupidity of these people never fail to blow my mind.

- One day when we were bored some of us were trying to see who could place a post-it note the highest on the wall, when I jumped higher than one co-worker he told me I had a genetic advantage.
Assuming this was a joke, I'd say this one is more innocuous than 'openly racist'? I can see how it'd be annoying ("hurr hurr basketball jokes"), but it doesn't seem inherently mean-spirited to me (of course, I'm white so I realize my perspective is very limited).

The others in the list are all kinds of fucked up though. :(

thefil

An Aunt making some "Ching Chong Ching Chong" joke about my Chinese girlfriend.

My girl friend's mother constantly says shit about me to her when I'm in the same room, like "how could you be with someone not Chinese."

Overall the level of racism is lower than I'd expect for an interracial relationship, but I guess white guy East Asian girl is one of the most socially "acceptable" pairings.

Context: I was in the military at the time. I am mixed black & white, but my skin color is pretty much white. I live in Indiana. Needless to say that a lot of white folks are quite comfortable airing out their views in front of me. This conversation happened right around the Michael Brown shooting. Officer got away with it, as we all know.

We were out doing the standard National Guard busywork during drill. One of my peers, a white woman, decided she wanted to discuss the shooting and how it was justified. "If black people want to stop getting shot then they need to behave like normal people when police are present." At that point, my eyes were a bit wide. I had heard that from many white people around where I lived at that time, so this wasn't unexpected. She goes on, however, to say "I mean if we're being real then black people need to thank white people for being over here in the United States to begin with. We didn't have to bring them over and civilize them. They could still be living overseas like savages, suffering from disease and famine". One of the NCOs could see me visibly angry and came over to pull me aside before I said anything back.

Not really a racist act, but I've met far too many people that share similar sentiment. Former friend of mine has, on multiple occasions, tried to argue that black folks are less evolved than white folks. Whatever that means. Knew another guy that wouldn't go anywhere that people of color frequented. A lot of rural folks in Indiana see Indianapolis and some of the college towns as death traps because of the black population. Knew a girl that refers to any neighborhood with a large amount of black people as ghetto. I'm still in awe that Obama won this state in 2008

venomenon

On a bus trip to attend a football match, just as we entered the destination city a black guy could be spotted on the sidewalk. This is a relatively backward region of Germany with few people of colour, especially at the time, so he really stood out.
Must've been at least 5 of the drunk hillbilly hooligans that unfortunately used the same bus that started beating the windows, shouting and demanding the driver to stop (which he didn't) because they wanted to "negerklatschen" (basically "n----- beating"). I was 10 or 11 at the time and looking back I think this incident has played a huge part in me becoming strictly anti-racist.

Kicko

This wasn't my first experience with open racism, but I feel this story has more weight given the times we live in. I was 12 years old at the time of the incident, a middle school student, preparing for one of the early school year dances. I had spent my day at my cousin's place, which was located in the projects not too far off from where the school was located. This was something that I routinely did in preparation for school dances, as my home was quite the distance from the school (I was bused there in the mornings), and most of my friends (including my cousins) lived in these projects. It was a short trek from there and I enjoyed walking and chatting it up with my friends/relatives about girls as me made our way to the dance.

So, a group of 6 black kids departing for a night of music and fun, but none of us could foresee the nonsense that we would eventually go through before getting there. Our travels required that we walk this long road that had no sidewalk for pedestrians. Needless to say, it forced us to walk on the very edges to avoid traffic. Anyways, while walking on this road, we were passed by a cop car. I think we all assumed nothing as we were all certain we weren't doing anything wrong, but I'd be lying to you if we all didn't get a little scared when the cop started to slow down. As he slowed down he eventually came to a halt, then reversed back to where we were walking. He then rolled down the window and flat out told us to "Get off the road!" We were like, "We're not really on the road, there's nowhere else for us to walk." He then proceeded, "I said, get off the road!" At that point we were all scared as hell. He then targeted my cousin who was the tallest of us all with the most mature looking build. "Get off the road nigger!" We began tip-toeing the road by walking on a slight body of grass (about 3 to 4 inches wide) that sat beside it. "Fucking niggers, that's what I thought." The guy then sped off in his cop car.

We were all silent for about 5 minutes or so afterwards, until my cousin lashed out, "Yo, fuck this shit!" It was obviously a delayed reaction to what occurred but I think all of us were sorting through our emotions at the time. It didn't ruin our night, and I recall telling my Aunt everything when we got home. She ended up making some phone calls but nothing ever happened to that cop. This happened 24 years ago and I'll never ever forget it.

Aiustis

2nd grade at some school event. I was sitting within a few feet of the table with the cake on it, but not eating any of it, just minding my own business. One of the parents came up to my teacher and said "the n--girl is eating all the cake"

Teacher made me move; she was a terrible person though. I used to get yelled at for reading a head, doing more work in my workbook than was assigned, and on one occasion, hitting a 5th grade girl who would always pinch me.

I've only openly witnessed two acts of malicious intent, targeted racism that I can remember (as in, actively aimed at someone to hurt them, and not just ignorant jokes / passive racism).

The first was when I was quite young and an old woman told my black friends cousin (who was about 6 at the time) to back to where he came from. The kid didn't understand what the woman meant and asked his cousin "how did she know we were from London?" (we were in the West Midlands at the time).

The second was about six months ago at work. An Asian customer got ratty with a black colleague of mine. A black woman then proceeded to get involved and started yelling "You're a black man. You shouldn't be letting a fucking paki talk to you like that."

I'm sure I've seen more, but those are the two that stuck out in my memory the most.

dafortune

I had an old woman get noticeably upset that I dared to sit in the restaurant as her a good 30 feet away. She even called the manager over and tried to discreetly point at me. I didn't hear what she was saying to him but I did here the manager say "I don't know what to tell you mam" and walk away shaking his head. Of course I stared at her smiling untill she couldn't take it and left.

How many of y'all have had people tryna touch your hair?

Like what is with that shit

I'm Asian and for some reason black girls at school used to pet my head lol. I guess they liked the silkiness of Asian hair or some shit.

It also happened when I was in the hospital. I was laying in bed, and one of the nurses who was black started petting my head like "you have nice hair".

Anyhoo, as for racism I used to get called names a lot, but the instance that bothered me the most didn't actually happen to me. I was chilling at my friend's grandparent's house, and this black family was riding bikes down the street. His grandma, who's white, sees them and goes "They just want to be seen". For some reason that bothered me more than any racism that has happened to myself. Like damn they can't even ride their bikes without being judged for no reason.

Wife (white) and I (black) took our oldest who was the only child at the time to the zoo. Black woman saw us and gave my wife a dirty look.

Another time the three of us went to a restaurant. The women who was the the waitress saw us sitting at our table and threw our silverware on the table in disgust. We stood up and left.

eso76

Directed at me ?
Istanbul, group of French tourists. Their guide looks at us and tells them to "keep an eye on your bags and purses, there are Italians here" thinking we wouldn't understand French.

PaulBizkit

Everyday with my co-workers. we all have KIND OF the same mindset about that, so we say racist and anti-feminist stuff all the time.

Yopis

First day of new school in 7th grade. Got introduced to class and sat down. Guy beside me leaned over and asked if I liked being a n----r.

Hanging out with buddies during college. Only Black guy in group. Only guy to be told club is full multiple times.

On trip to Bahamas with friends. Everyone gets into cab. I go to get in last and driver sticks out arm. Says your not with these people.

At dinner with buddy,only Black guy at the table. Retirement event for his dad. We all get up from table. Guy walks over and says what are you doing, we need to get this table cleaned.
Since I'm black I must work at the place.

It's always with truckers. I deal with them from time to time at my company. Usually it's them bitching about them not being offloaded. I tell them they have to wait, and they start getting racist lol. I've been called a wetback, cockaroache you name it. I don't have a good temper when someone I don't know starts talking shit to me. So most of the time, I offer to fuck them up if they don't stop talking shit, and when they see that I'm serious, they drop their balls real quick.

Wife (white) and I (black) took our oldest who was the only child at the time to the zoo. Black woman saw us and gave my wife a dirty look.

Another time the three of us went to a restaurant. The women who was the the waitress saw us sitting at our table and threw our silverware on the table in disgust. We stood up and left.

i woulda fucking raged, where was this?

First day of new school in 7th grade. Got introduced to class and sat down. Guy beside me leaned over and asked if I liked being a n----r.

Hanging out with buddies during college. Only Black guy in group. Only guy to be told club is full multiple times.

On trip to Bahamas with friends. Everyone gets into cab. I go to get in last and driver sticks out arm. Says your not with these people.

At dinner with buddy,only Black guy at the table. Retirement event for his dad. We all get up from table. Guy walks over and says what are you doing, we need to get this table cleaned.
Since I'm black I must work at the place.

Please tell me your friends got out of that cab.

God damn. I can only take this thread in doses. It changes nothing but fuck, I'm so sorry.

I'm from a mixed race family. And I'm white.

Grew up in the South. The bulk of that time was in a small town that was more rural than it had any business being, really.

"How is he your brother if he's brown and you're not?" Constantly.

I used to boil. It made me so fucking mad. So much more that they'd wait for my little brother not to be around to ask me that.

The one thing I'm most proud of in my role as a big brother, maybe the only thing, was passing down the highly technical, very fine art of talking shit.

In elementary school, I was eating lunch at one of the tables, and out of nowhere this kid walks by and yells "WHAT ARE YOU LOOKING AT, N_____!?" I think I was in second grade, and the kid probably was the same grade. Also, I'm Asian.

Mediking

High school was full of front on racism.

I'm Black.

It comes with the territory though.

I always love my skin and who I am.

rackham

Banned
Im middle eastern.

In middle school, a year after 9/11, someone in class joked about having osama in his basement. Everyone in class laughed. Teacher had like 12 kids, including me, stay after to reprimand us. He yelled at everyone and told us we should be ashamed then gets in my face, points and says "especially you."

Asshole

ptown

I got a few.

-In two separate instances, got asked directly by a young kid if they could call me a chink. First time was from a kid living in the same neighborhood and the second time was a random kid in a McDonalds while I was at the soda fountain.

-In high school, was sitting by the door of a classroom minding my business and random kid walks by the door and makes ching chong noises.

-Driver's ed teacher told me "we drive on the right side of the road here".

-Waiting in checkout line at a store with some relatives, old guy standing directly behind us with probably his family says "What is this the Mekong River?"

As a younger person, I would more likely take these things more personally, but as I've gotten older, I see these more as instances of uneducated, unenlightened, dysfunctional patterns of thinking unconsciously passed on spewing out into the world. People pick up and learn these things.

Oh how could I could I forget this. When I first met my wife and her mom found out I was black she told my wife to start dating other people. Meaning date white guys cause white and blacks shouldn't date. My wife told her no. She wasn't happy when we got married and even questioned if we should raise mixed kids. We currently have no contact with her and she's seen the kids twice out of sheer dumb luck.

Top Bottom