• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's some of the most openly racist acts you've personally experienced?

My grandmother was selling her home. An Indian man put in an offer of 390k, which was around their asking price. A white person came by the next day and expressed interest, and my grandmother told her she'd sell it to her for 350k if she put in an offer ASAP (because she didn't want to sell it to the Indian guy).

Edit: I guess I didn't personally experience this, but I personally witnessed it. Sorry if I misinterpreted the OP.

PillarEN

I was walking through town at night and called a "Paki" and told to "fuck off back home" by a group of drunk men.

I'm white British. I'd just returned from 2 weeks in Florida so I was heavily tanned. Apparently that was enough to cause me problems.

This reminds me of a tale that's about 15 years old. You know how there are all these positive stories about roma? Right me neither. The only time you are likely to hear about them when someone talks about them is likely going to be borderline racist way on a better day.

Well there was a Spanish man who had moved to the Czech Republic and my mom became a friend of his. I think she was taking Spanish lessons from him. One day she told me that he told her that he was wearing a shirt with the word Espana to signify "hey I'm Spanish, not roma. Please stop treating me like shit on a semi frequent basis." He was very confused why people were treating him the way they were. Clearly he looked a little southern so the average racist just assumed "oh this fucking gypsy". Not only was he troubled by this because of his experience, but also that there was such general hatred for the roma here in general. Sadly, this did not surprise me.

I wonder if the roma population is nearly nonexistent in Spain or if there wasn't blatant racism against that group there from the general population.

My sister played soccer for Alabama A&M (College in Alabama). She was the only white girl on the team. Whenever they played against Grambling (Arkansas school) she got called a nigger lover and snowball. Really only happened in Arkansas. Mostly because Huntsville, Alabama is definitely the most black/African-American place I have ever been to.

Her boyfriend (at the time, now ex-husband) played football for the same school and we went to go watch a game. Being on the Bama side meant we were the only white family on that side of the stadium. Probably the only time that's ever going to happen. Got called a "silly little white boy" at some point. I was well over 6'0", but I did get nacho cheese on my shirt, so at least two of those adjectives were correct. Now, her ex-husband is extremely well-built, and being an athletic black man in Green Bay (and surrounding areas), Wisconsin means you apparently play for the Packers. He's gotten free drinks, let into clubs for free, and (I shit you not) asked to be in pictures with people purely because they assume he plays for the Packers. He's legitimately gotten "good games" thrown at him.

Stoop Man

My grandmother was selling her home. An Indian man put in an offer of 390k, which was around their asking price. A white person came by the next day and expressed interest, and my grandmother told her she'd sell it to her for 350k if she put in an offer ASAP (because she didn't want to sell it to the Indian guy).

Edit: I guess I didn't personally experience this, but I personally witnessed it. Sorry if I misinterpreted the OP.

See, I don't get this. People can be racist, but how can you be $40,000 racist?

Fuchsdh

Pretty minor compared to some of the horror stories here, but a random bunch of teens beaned me in the back of my head with a rock and called me 'cracker' when I was heading to dinner one day at college. Still have no idea what I could have done to set them off.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
In sequential order:
  • My brother was told that he should kill himself because my parents committed a sin of miscegenation. That his very existence was an offense to god. This was in a catholic kindergarten with the nun even opening the second story window for him to jump out of. The school fired her on the spot.
Okay, this is beyond vile. Glad she was fired, but fucking hell. That was in kindergarten too. :(

PillarEN

Pretty minor compared to some of the horror stories here, but a random bunch of teens beaned me in the back of my head with a rock and called me 'cracker' when I was heading to dinner one day at college. Still have no idea what I could have done to set them off.

We just had a thread yesterday where an autistic kid got a wooden plank nailed to the back of his head by his "friends". He was 9 or 10 and these kids were a little older. People who get a kick against hurting someone emotionally or physically don't need a justifiable reason. Getting their kicks is more than enough.

He's alive with no major injury by the way.

tirminyl

So many. Let's go with the most recent one as of last summer.

I moved to a new city and state over a year ago. I live in a very nice area. I ride the bus to work and cross an intersection to start my walk home down a long "hill". The area is active with people walking dogs, jogging, or just taking family walks. I started to notice that an older white woman would walk in the middle of the road on this long road. There is a tiny median but it is curved and cars do zoom by. Given that both sides of the street have a sidewalk, I was puzzled why she walked in the middle of the road talking on the phone. Inevitably when we passed, she would cross the street onto the same sidewalk as I as we continued walking our opposite direction.

More and more this happened until one day I spotted her cross into the middle of the road. I saw her from the distance as we approached each other but her head was down. When she looked up, and I assume, saw me, she crossed to walk in the middle of the road until we passed each other. It was then that she cross back onto the sidewalk. This took me by surprise and with each day it happened, I figured that she was doing so because I was a guy and there was no one else around. Each time she was on the phone. I wondered if she had been attacked. For the briefest moment, I then became alarmed. Had someone been attacked in this nice, quiet neighborhood without me knowing? Was I safe to walk these streets? Is this why a police vehicle parked in the church parking lot as I made my journey down the long road home? If I had pearls, they were clutched when the thought of the neighborhood not being safe entered my mind.

I thought nothing more but it kept nagging at me that this older woman who seemed to be in her 50's kept crossing the street when she saw me. That was until one day we happened to walk in the same direction. She was in front, and I was behind by some distance, though I was the faster walker and was closing the distance between us. This was a pretty active day. I watched as she passed a white couple on the sidewalk, and then a woman with a dog. She had not budged and kept her pace on the winding sidewalk. A guy turned the corner from a cross street further up ahead and jogged in our direction. A man. Her. Alone on the sidewalk. Will she cross? No. She didn't. He waved at her as he jogged past and she kept her stride unabated. That was until a young black girl stepped onto the sidewalk. Of all that passed her, this immediately forced the woman to walk into the middle of the road until the young black woman passed her. And then the older woman crossed back onto the sidewalk when she felt it was safe. The young woman and I exchanged looks as we passed each other. It was at this point that the white woman turned around and saw that I was too close. She crossed back into the middle of the road, despite the cars that were off in the distance. I shook my head.

I didn't want to believe it but this woman refused to share the same sidewalk with anyone that was black. Man or Woman. It gets worse.

The last time I saw her was a day I worked late. I exited the bus at my normal stop waiting for the light to turn green to cross the intersection that turned into the long winding road. I crossed and the light turned red behind me. To my surprise, as I started my trek home I saw her. Her eyes darted to her left to see if she could cross into the middle of the road but alas, she was nearly at the intersection and she realized that it would not do to walk in the middle of the road at this point. So what did she do? She moved as far right to the edge of the sidewalk as she could, lifted the scarf around her nose and mouth securing it with her hand, and turned her head to the right. To walk pass me on the same sidewalk, she covered her mouth so as not to breathe the same air as I, and she turned her head so that she did not have to look at me.

I laughed and I cried. I've been followed in stores. Called "you people". Called the "N" word. I've been "questioned" about where I lived (in a nice area). I've had cops pull out their weapons. I've never had someone attempt with all their might to not share a side walk, eye glance, or oxygen as me.

Slayven

You're from Georgia right? Did she just point at everything?

Not really, there was a clear line where blacks don't go past. But the white people would cross on the weekend to get liquor from the juke joints. Georgia was a blue law state until like a few years ago,

Hypron

I was walking through town at night and called a "Paki" and told to "fuck off back home" by a group of drunk men.

I'm white British. I'd just returned from 2 weeks in Florida so I was heavily tanned. Apparently that was enough to cause me problems.

Reminds me that time where a guy drove past my father and brother and yelled at them to go back to their country. Pretty much all our ancestors come from the region we lived in at that time, we're white... But my father and brother have pretty tanned skin. I guess you can't expect dumbass racists to be logical.

Personally I have never experienced anything even remotely close to other posters in this thread. I've witnessed a lot of racism from other people, but never anything towards myself.

I'm still kicking myself for not standing up for one of my friends when I was about 12, though. His mother was white French and his farther was Turkish, so he didn't look exactly like other kids. I never noticed it being an issue, in fact I never even thought about it, until that one day where we were sitting together in the bus minding our own business.

This older kid sitting in front of us turned around at some point and started getting into my friend's face and mocking/insulting him. I don't remember exactly what he said, apart from the fact he kept on calling him an Arab (Turks aren't Arabs) and mockingly mimicked prayer gestures, but I remember it being very hateful and scary because the guy was probably 15 and had a reputation for being a delinquent. I just sat there not knowing what to say. My friend tried to defend himself but kept on getting cutoff. After the fact he didn't say anything but he can't have been feeling good... I should have backed him up.

Bellamin

Went to a fast food place for lunch with some co-workers. There was an old white couple we sat nearby. We didn't really notice them until our black co-worker sat down. They looked at him for a moment and then quietly got up and sat at another table. One of the most fucked up things I'd ever seen.

Pretty sure I've mentioned it in a previous similar thread. But, when I was around 6 or 7 I lived in a primarily white area. My neighbor had his granddaughter visiting him for the summer and didn't really ever say anything when we would play together or go ride bikes. One day she gave me a kiss on the cheek outside of his house. He came out yelling "don't kiss that fucking beaner get inside". Not knowing what the word meant I went home and told my dad. To this day I've never seen my dad that angry, he ran over to the dudes house while dragging me along. After pounding on his door and pretty much trying to knock it down he ended up yelling "if you ever call my son that again I'll paralyze you, you old fuck". I don't think I'll ever forget that and after getting a bit older it made me realize I would have done the same thing in my dads place. My neighbors granddaughter didn't visit him anymore after that as far as I can remember. In retrospect her granddad was in his mid 50s back then and he actually died a few years ago from some kind of cancer.

Jakten

There was a group of about guys that used to my high school and would fly a confederate flag out the back of their truck. There is also a guy down the road who has a large confederate flag that takes up his double garage that can only be seen when he opens it. This is all in Ontario btw so there's no way of trying to come up with nonsense reasons as to why it's not racist reasons.

Outside of my area I used to work for a guy who referred to Obama as the porch ape of the white house and a lot of other extremely horrible things. He's probably the only instance in person I have seen that expressed aggressively hateful racism and not just ignorance.

rudger

Probably nothing. It's possible it was the knockout game". I was a victim of this once when hanging out in Brooklyn, as were friends of mine in various cities throughout the US. Its popularity seems to come in waves. I was just walking down the street and was sucker punched by a group of black teenagers and then they ran away. But I can't even be mad. Honestly, within just a few months of living in NYC I'd experienced multiple instances of black people lashing out of fucking nowhere. I can't even imagine how bad race relations have been here for me to notice so quickly and to never have thought similar things in the multiple other cities I've lived in that certainly have their own issues with race.

Anyways, a lighter offense (at least compared to the sadness in this thread):

My brother explaining to some guy why my family moved to the US:
Brother: My family left their homes cause of the pogroms.
Guy: Pogroms?
Brother: Attacks on their village.
Guy: You fucking Jews. Everything is always about money with you.
(long pause)
Brother: ATTACKS! NOT A TAX!

NewGame

Banned
I got called a wog for bringing a stuffed capsicum to school for lunch.

I only brought sandwiches from then on to school. I didn't want to be different.

In sequential order:
  • My brother was told that he should kill himself because my parents committed a sin of miscegenation. That his very existence was an offense to god. This was in a catholic kindergarten with the nun even opening the second story window for him to jump out of. The school fired her on the spot.
  • Walked into a class on the first day in a new state while my teacher was in the middle of telling his class that at least there were no niggers in the class that semester. Awkward
  • Was called a nigger by an old lady as I was holding a door open for her (this happened within a day or two of the last one.. my welcome to Florida was not a warm one)
  • Had to explain to my kid brother what a coon was after he was stopped by police who were "coon hunting" and wanted to know what he was doing outside (he was taking out the trash)
  • Spat at while being called a nigger
Does every single time I had to see someone wear or fly a confederate flag count?

What the actual fuck.... Especially for the bolded part....

Well said. It's possible indeed that it was the same in Denmark - she was utterly confused when we told her it wasn't okay. I really believe she isn't a racist - she's Korean by birth and adopted by Danish parents and lived there all her life until she came here, and she's the nicest person you could hope to meet. She keeps baking us stuff.

As for education, thankfully Ireland is fairly multicultural these days. It's rarer not to run into a person of colour - though some villages in the countryside remain very... "native", let's say.

One of my wife and my own best friends are from Denmark, from me asking her this is untrue in her experience.

Thankfully ain't been through a lot

"You sounded white over the phone"
"You're so articulate"
"You're black, but you're not BLACK"
"You're a credit to your people"
"You're one of the black guys I could bring home to my family"
(After telling my life story to a sea of white faces)"You said that story so nice, with a little 'hustle' to it"

Having a woman pull her purse to the other side as I walked by
Someone locking the door as I passed their car
Being followed in stores

Bout it rn

This. This really bothers me.

As far as racist thing happening to me, I haven't ran into many personally. I was always around all races growing up, I thought it was the same for everyone else. We are all kids getting into mischief, who cares about color. As I've grown up I've realized that is not how the world works. I don't really want to go into specifics from me growing up, so I will just say what happened to me and my wife while we were out for her birthday:

Two weeks ago, we dropped off our daughter with the grandparents, then we(10 people) went out to have fun for my wife's birthday.we went to an escape the room thing, we crushed it, We then went to eat some food of her choosing, and next was a nearby bar(I was the DD).

Soon we decided to drive to a bar closer to home. This is where the racist dude showed up. Me and a few of my best friends, two of my wife's cousins and her brother were playing pool, we were playing team. Her brother and one of her cousins, against me and her other cousin... The cousin on my team was lighter skinned, we ended up losing the first game somehow, as soon as we were about to rerack, this drunk dude runs up to the table slams his quarters down and proclaims, "YOU ALREADY LOST TO THE BEANERS, STOP BRING SHAME TO US!"

When told he needed a partner, since we still had money on the table, he chose my wife's light skinned cousin. They lost that game, so next was a one-on-one, him vs his team mate.

He lost that game, and started going on and on about how could they have lost to the beaners if his partner was able to beat him. At that point, his friend showed up, who was hispanic and they disappeared for a while.

Party dwindled down until it was my wife, two cousins(no names gets confusing, sorry), and me.

We go to leave and the guy is outside. One of my wife's cousins asks if he can bum a cigarette... The guy replies, "Sure, anything for a Mexican!" and jams a cig in his mouth. This cousin served in the army, he is also a bit of a hothead, so he asked the guy, "Do you always jam things into peoples mouth who served this country?"

Dude say's, "Didn't know Mexicans served this country."

You know what, I'm gonna stop here.

My wife is Salvadoran, naturally so is her entire family, except the new generation, partly my fault. She has 8 Army and 2 Marine veterans, off the top of my head who are related to her closely(brothers and cousins). This is a number that frankly I don't think many families can top, and they immigrated here...

What the actual fuck, random dumb drunk guy. He had a fucking pro veteran sticker on his truck. Didn't know he only meant the white ones.

On another note, I hope that my daughter does not have to go through anything that I have read in this thread. I am sincerely sad about a lot of what I have read in here.

5 years old: A kid I thought was my friend told me we couldn't be friends because I was a nigger. I asked my mom what that was. She went to the kids apartment to talk to his dad...ended up breaking the front window. We got evicted.

17 years old: Called a nigger and told I stink by an old lady on the bus. I had the audacity to sit next to her.

18 years old: Told that the reason I'm so fast is the "extra nigger muscle" and that this was learned in health class by a basketball teammate.

Can't remember the age: My little brother grabs the last shirt in a certain size at a TJMaxx. "Fucking niggers taking everything." - random white lady

SomTervo

5 years old: A kid I thought was my friend told me we couldn't be friends because I was a nigger. I asked my mom what that was. She went to the kids apartment to talk to his dad...ended up breaking the front window. We got evicted.

17 years old: Called a nigger and told I stink by an old lady on the bus. I had the audacity to sit next to her.

18 years old: Told that the reason I'm so fast is the "extra nigger muscle" and that this was learned in health class by a basketball teammate.

Can't remember the age: My little brother grabs the last shirt in a certain size at a TJMaxx. "Fucking niggers taking everything." - random white lady

Jesus... Fucking sucks to get evicted but also good on your mum for standing up like that, what a hero.

This thread continues to be horrifying. When is shit gonna change. When are people going to stop being so petty.

These stories are fucking sad man, and people wonder why certain locals called for jury duty press their prejudices against the black/brown defendant
Thankfully ain't been through a lot

"You sounded white over the phone"
"You're so articulate"
"You're black, but you're not BLACK"
"You're a credit to your people"
"You're one of the black guys I could bring home to my family"
(After telling my life story to a sea of white faces)"You said that story so nice, with a little 'hustle' to it"

Having a woman pull her purse to the other side as I walked by
Someone locking the door as I passed their car
Being followed in stores

Bout it rn

can relate so much

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Getting nigger yelled at me. Getting stuff thrown at me including bottles. Always by white males in raised pickup trucks.

JoeNut

My grandparents are openly racist. i had to basically say to them "stop talking about anything to do with race" otherwise we would've just ended up not speaking any more

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Towards myself:
In high school someone who I thought was a friend of mine found out I was half Israeli and proclaimed at full volume in the middle of class that they were gonna take me back to Auschwitz to the furnace for my 'family reunion'...other kids laughed and the teacher did absolutely nothing and just went on with the class. I confronted him after class but he was much larger than I was and physically there wasn't much I could do really. I obviously avoided all contact with him after that, a girl he liked that was mutual friends with he and I also ceased contact with him and he blamed it on me...lol.

To someone else:
My best friend was called a Nigger from some coward in car driving by us as we were waking home.

Edit: I just saw the posts directly above me..seems all too common. :|

Another 'minor compared to the rest of the thread' case here, but more than a few times I've been speaking to someone who has uh, less than favourable views towards migrants but seems to have enjoyed conversing with me. I casually drop that my surname is Polish or that my grandfather was Polish, and the conversation just kinda suddenly... stops, rather awkwardly. Most egregious case was the admin of one forum I was on having particular issues with Poles, so my reminders to her of my ethnicity were real conversation killers. Eventually left because the place just became a toxic mess from the turn of the year onward.

At least in Germany there is this urban legend about all people from Poland being (car) thieves.

The very moment the kids at my school realized that I'm from that country, thieve jokes became my daily experience until graduation. Every time something got lost/stolen, be it a pen or whole class room equipment, people turned to me with a smug grin. Every time we've been talking about cars, someone dropped a line about how Poles know so much about cars because they steal them. Locked out of your home/car? No problem, the Pole surely knows how to pick any lock (my name at school actually really was "Pole or "Der Pole", and for a while also "Gurke" - cocumber).

As of 2017, I don't know if people even make these jokes about Poles anymore but it sure was popular in the 90's.

It was a weird time.

Edit: How I could forget the time I received a knife cut to the chest by some "patriotic" 14-16yo Germans, is beyond me. Especially since the scar never fully healed. I was 15 back then and it was the most unusual racist encounter happening to me.

I've got two that happened around Brexit

I'm a Civil Engineer, I was working in the city centre, taking measurements of a pedestrianized area we were making some alteration to.

In my line of work I'm used to people asking questions like "What are you doing", "what do you know about X thing" "why are you taking pictures of me/them/those kids*"
So when a bloke came up to me who looked Bill Maynard (Pictures for Reference asking what I was doing, I thought it would be standard fair, how wrong I was

It was casual at first, what are you doing? why is that? what do you think about this 20million cycle scheme the council are doing?
Then it started to go a little odd, "Bloody government, well the last one was the problem, going to war with those rag heads, letting every Mohamed and his wives in! now we've got niggers coming in from Africa on blood boats via damn Europe...." it just went on and on, I was shell shocked, dumb founded even! I couldn't believe how openly racist this guy was being! And as soon as it started he was off "Can't chat my train will be arriving soon, hope I get a damn seat" and off he went

I'd say that was the worst one I've encountered, but a week later I walked round the corner into another situation a street from where the above occurred.
Some background; In Leeds we have these bowler hat wearing helpers? kind of like an information service, part of the bid for Leeds as a capital of culture I think, that are there to help tourists and people around the city.

So anyway, I come round the corner of Albion Place onto Albion Street heading towards a car park, to see some drunk guy hurling abuse at one of the Bowler guys - we don't need your sort here, get back to your own country, stealing our jobs, you'll get deported soon etc etc all the typical xenophpbic bingo phrases you'd expect. it had drawn a bit of a crowd, and people were telling the drunk to piss off.
I went over to the victim and chatted to him, poor guy was Portuguese, the drunk only knew he was foreign when he'd over heard him helping some Japanese tourists and began hurling abuse.
It wasn't the first bit of abuse he had had even that day!
He had come over here a few years before, he'd specifically come for this job because he could speak several languages, so was exactly what was required for his specific job, he loved it here and didn't want to leave. He was going to call the Police when I left, but he even thought they would do nothing.

I really hate Brexit and how it became carte blanche for scum to crawl out of the wood work and begin being open in their hatred

openrob

Took an American Literature class during my second year at the University of Miami. Class was taught by a young African American male. The syllabus listed all the material we would read during the class, and to my surprise most of it were the works of black and female poets and authors. After a week or so, a young White woman in the class raised her hand and threatened to complain to the dean that the material was inappropriate because the course was titled American Literature and not "African American" literature.

Second place was also during my college days. I worked at a Bank in South Miami and my primary duty was opening accounts for people. Sometimes I would be the only PBR there, and I don't speak Spanish well enough to help customers that only spoke Spanish. My manager informed me that someone complained about my inability to speak Spanish and said I should be fired. Not really racism, but it definitely bummed me out.

Pretty mild stuff, but living in NYC and Miami didn't really expose me to some of the truly harsh stuff others experienced.

This is what I find crazy about America - the idea that white people are the true Americans.

Like, I can get it in other parts of the world where there have been hundreds of years of common culture and ethnicity, but black people have been a part of the USA since it's founding. (Not even considering native Americans).

The US is not a white country.

I had the eye slit thing done to me when I was in UK

Didn't bother me at first but it kept going and going...

Oh, they also fully embraced the Asians are good at math thing over there.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Working the cash register, there's a line like 30 minutes long, white dude comes up to me and blatantly says "you don't mind serving your own kind first right?" With a wink and smile. "Us whites we need to stick together."

Murkas

Was literally the only brown kid in a chav school that was 99% white (like 10 black kids, 2 Koreans, 2 Chinese, and me from the Middle East)during 9/11+war on Iraq. Got the usual towel head/terrorist jokes from class mates. Those what stuck when I was young back then, what I remember now looking back is the very opinionated teacher going on about how we should bomb every single one of them to hell. Another incident was during an R.E class about Islam, the teacher was explaining how some countries have the call to prayers early in the morning. He processed to demonstrate how by standing on the table and yelling at the top of his lungs what your average English guy thinks Arabic sounds like. Every other student turned and looked at me to see how I reacted. I'm sure I just had that blank poker face expression.

One that I probably remember the most was a few years ago. Me and my Pakistani friend (he's tall, skinny, smiley guy that hardly looks intimidating) just finished work, would have been around 8.30-9.00pm, we're in our very easily identifiable work uniform that has our store name embarrassingly plastered everywhere. We're outside walking up these spiral staircase to reach the pavement above, as we're walking up some old white couple were walking down. The guy sees us, literally snatches his wife and pulls her to one side and shields her as they run past with his back towards us. I got angry and yelled "the fuck is your problem" while my friend was in tears from laughing so hard. I get the racist jokes and the racist comments in general. But this couple saw us and legit thought we were gonna rob, rape, and murder them then piss all over their bodies. Probably why it sticks out the most. Looking at it now I can see the funny side I guess.

Another time I went to some underground rave club, had like 5 different white guys come up to me and asking for drugs. Don't think the hoody I was wearing helped...

Kazuhira

Only once in my life and very rare,i was taking the bus late at night and when i had to drop-off some guys sitting near the exit started saying "what's up chalkface?" and "hello whitey".
One of them spat on my back when i was almost out of the bus,obviously this is nothing compared to what most of you guys had to deal with in daily basis.
Most of my other experiences are the other way around,white coworkers and/or another people i've met in my social circle saying stuff with the N word and derivatives.
Thankfully none of my family members are like these people.

eizarus

Banned
I don't know how so many of you didn't pummel the shit out of these people. I would have done so.
Fear of bias legal reprimand. I've been detained before for a "racially motivated breach of the peace" when someone swore at me and I swore back. It went to trial. Fortunately the judge was a good guy and declared me (and my cousin who was with me) cleared of all charges and apologised that the police had failed to do even a basic investigation.

I was waiting for a subway and an old lady kicked me in the shins really hard. I thought it was a mistake so I didn't do anything. Just a clumsy old lady, I thought. She had orange shoes so it was easy to watch her walk to the next line and kick another man in the shins too. We were the only people of our particular skin color in the area, so as far as I can tell we were being attacked based on our race.

PillarEN

Fear of bias legal reprimand. I've been detained before for a "racially motivated breach of the peace" when someone swore at me and I swore back. It went to trial. Fortunately the judge was a good guy and declared me (and my cousin who was with me) cleared of all charges and apologised that the police had failed to do even a basic investigation.

Yeah I was gonna say. Some countries make it difficult for the victim to fight back without repercussions. My cousin was attacked by 3 men in the middle of the night when he was riding his bike home from work (not a racial attack by the way. Just low lifes looking to rob anybody who happened to come that way alone and my cousin won the lottery in regards to that). After he was knocked off his bike he started to get attacked by the men. One took his backpack (with his money) and rode off with his bike. My cousin knows self defense and subdued the other two who stayed behind to injure him. He broke one guys knee and the other guys arm. Immediately called the cops and ambulance (for them, he didn't need to go to the hospital. Turns out these three were a known commodity for being scumbags and they all got some various small punishments. But the best part is that my cousin had to pay a fine too because he knew self defense. Nice. He protected himself and still got punished for being in a potentially life threatening situation while he did nothing to put his attackers into that same predicament. So yeah. Fighting back even for your own well being (not shooting a person running away or something where you are taking out a person giving up mind you) can still land you in trouble.
Oh and the amount stolen from him was not returned. Lol.

Watched 2 Broke Girls.

And when I was in Hangzhou two things happened to me. Someone asked my now-wife if she is together with me because I must have a huge dick.
Then a day later I was crossing the street and some of the cleaning street people grabbed me by arm and told me to fuck my mom, fuck myself etc. They quickly went away when I answered them in Chinese.
Someone on chinese social media told my wife how she is a traitor to the country and diluting the genepool when we have kids.

A friend who is 2m tall was called a white giraffe in China before.

Im white.

I was helping my step grandpa figure out his email and the only email in his computer was one about how the "JEWS" have so much control of the media.

Then he posted on Facebook about how he was avoiding a gas station because "towel heads" bought it.

Ugh.

Devil

I'm a half Kurd in Germany, for reference. A drunk Nazi came my way, once he saw me he just stood there for a few seconds and then raised his right arm for a "Heil Hitler" salute. I just shook my head in disbelief as I went passed him since he was clearly not going to do anything.

The other time though was different. There was some festival in the city and lots of people on the train. One drunk dude was there with his son who looked about 16 years old. The man saw me and another "foreign"-looking guy close to me and started to talk very loudly to his son that he wants him to punch me in the face if I were to leave the train close to the door they were standing at. Included a lot of racist words for brown people like me. The son seemed incredibly ashamed and didn't say a word, I felt really bad for him, having to grow up like that.
I talked back to the dad (don't remember what I said, I was pretty angry) and went into the back of the car on the opposite of where they were standing. There was nothing more than I wanted in those seconds than to punch the guy, but I'm glad I want the other way.

Remember, the whole train was crowded, everybody heard what he was rambling about, nobody said a word. As I left the train he even started shouting racist slurs and that I'm too afraid to face them etc. Once I left, another guy who left at the same station congratulated me for keeping calm which made me feel a little better, but at the same time I was still boiling. I'm glad nothing happened though.

jmood88

My second year in Americorps, I worked for Ohio State Extension and was assigned to do outreach for a foreclosure prevention program in Hardin County, OH. The county is over 90% white and I was the only non-white person who worked in the office. My supervisor was an old white woman who gave me performance reviews in the middle of the office and refused to have meetings with me in private because she was scared and didn't trust me (she told me this when I asked why she kept having private meetings with me in very public areas). I started audio recording any interactions with her because she kept saying racist shit and I was scared that she would try to get me fired for some made up reason (which she did). Thankfully, I got reassigned to an office in Columbus and got to leave that hellhole after a few months.

hirokazu

On Chinese New Year last year I was walking down the sidewalk with my family and this car cuts rights in front of us to drive into a shopping centre car park. At first I was thinking “WTF” because you don’t do that. Then a middle-aged white woman winds down the window and says “This is Australia, you’re supposed to give way to cars, not walk blindly. This isn’t Asia.” No you dumb cunt, in Australia pedestrians have the right of way on sidewalks and driveways and you’re supposed to give way you clueless fuck. I went and got in front of her car and gave her an earful.

PillarEN

Watched 2 Broke Girls.

And when I was in Hangzhou two things happened to me. Someone asked my now-wife if she is together with me because I must have a huge dick.
Is that a stereotype in China? That white people have big dicks?
Then a day later I was crossing the street and some of the cleaning street people grabbed me by arm and told me to fuck my mom, fuck myself etc. They quickly went away when I answered them in Chinese.
Huh. That's pretty weird. Were they saying it in a way that a foreigner might have thought to themselves "uh yeah ok guys, arms to yourself eh heh heh", or was it sort of a hostile encounter?
Someone on chinese social media told my wife how she is a traitor to the country and diluting the genepool when we have kids.
Yeah. Pretty black and white there with that comment. Oof.
A friend who is 2m tall was called a white giraffe in China before.
Ok without knowing how vulgar this is in China I admit as complete foreigner I laughed at first. That's such a goofy sounding insult. Like a 6 year old edition of calling someone a doo doo head.
Im white.
Did people take random pictures of you? Is the place where you were staying not used to tourists? Or is it homogeneous enough where any outsider is still sort has a "wow" factor on a good part of the country?

Mohonky

She certainly put her money where her mouth is though I'll give her that.

Karamsoul

Got called an "Osama bin Laden-looking motherfucker" at a gas station, just for confronting a guy who cut in line in front of me and other customers. I had a short beard at the time. I look nothing remotely like Osama bin Laden. That stuck with me for a while.

Outside of that, my wife's family is from the sticks in Georgia, and going in her town early on when we were dating, I was used to hearing "sand-nigger", "'towel-head", "fucking Muslims", etc. being muttered under people's breaths at public areas. Became tired of confronting people about it and unfortunately let it become an emotional callous.

Most of the racism i've experienced is from my own kind.

Somehow my speech and properly pronouncing words is me denouncing my blackness. "You don't talk Black". Blacks are much more than a speech pattern sweetheart.

Endeavoring to have any form of success isn't black either "oh, you forgot where you came from". Did I? Or do I remember vivid and not want to be mired there for the rest of my life?

That "Crab in a bucket" speech from the Boondocks spoke to me for this very reason.

Mozendo

I usually get the "What, you can't be Latino, you sound so white!" along with it's variations like "You're playing a joke on me you're white!" or "Nah man, I consider you white" when I tell people I'm not white on voice chat.
Luckily I was never friends with these people for long.

I was told that I could never return to my friend's house by his dad.

Sometimes when I go to malls employees tend to follow me around which I hate.

Also when I was a teenager white teens would looks at me as if I was the only brown person on earth. We're not talking about a casual eye glances either like a full on stare.

Oh and yesterday in my apartment complex some old guy said he would call the cops on me.

Edit:

Here's two involving my only encounters with Boston Police because they're so shit
1. I was randomly stopped and asked questions on the sidewalk about a possible home intrusion nearby. They don't know how the person looks like but I somehow fit that description.
2. My upstairs neighbors have given my death threats before and they constantly stomp making noise so I wont sleep. I've called the police several times and even filed a report, they have it on their database or whatever that my upstairs neighbors has told me that she is going to kill me but nothing happened and when I went to the police department about the status of the case the cop didn't even bother to look it up. He just said I was a liar.

besada

Banned
I was born in the seventies, so I've seen a lot of racism, but I'm a white dude, so I haven't really experienced it personally.

Pau

Being called a spic and told to clean someone's home. In the same vein, someone asking if my mom could clean their home.

More frequently, being asked if I'm a drug dealer.

eizarus

Banned
Yeah I was gonna say. Some countries make it difficult for the victim to fight back without repercussions. My cousin was attacked by 3 men in the middle of the night when he was riding his bike home from work (not a racial attack by the way. Just low lifes looking to rob anybody who happened to come that way alone and my cousin won the lottery in regards to that). After he was knocked off his bike he started to get attacked by the men. One took his backpack (with his money) and rode off with his bike. My cousin knows self defense and subdued the other two who stayed behind to injure him. He broke one guys knee and the other guys arm. Immediately called the cops and ambulance (for them, he didn't need to go to the hospital. Turns out these three were a known commodity for being scumbags and they all got some various small punishments. But the best part is that my cousin had to pay a fine too because he knew self defense. Nice. He protected himself and still got punished for being in a potentially life threatening situation while he did nothing to put his attackers into that same predicament. So yeah. Fighting back even for your own well being (not shooting a person running away or something where you are taking out a person giving up mind you) can still land you in trouble.
Oh and the amount stolen from him was not returned. Lol.
UK right? If not, then it's the same thing here. Know a guy who got in trouble for defending himself even when there was security footage outside the shop he got mugged at.
A few days after 9/11, someone yelled at me to "go back home, Paki" (I was born here, and of Indian descent).
Been there brother.

Top Bottom