• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016-17 TV Cancellations Thread: TNT finds "Nothing can come of nothing."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joni

Lethal Weapon won't make it to season 2. I could see MacGyver getting a second season. All of the sci-fi police procedurals like Time After Time and Timeless are definitely toast in one season, for sure.
Lethal Weapon must be cheap, and Fox is desperate
I'm not ruling it out yet. MacGyver will be bad and come back. Like Scorpion.

Sober

So what did Feed the Beast do to try and imitate HBO??

Also I feel like there is nothing going on really with network TV or cable really for that matter.
Just watching reruns of Buffy the Vampire Slayer on Netflix or something?

I mean House of Cards ain't that good.

maxcriden

What is everyone's pick for first show canned this season and how long into the season before it happens?

I guess Notorious, three eps in? Seems like a procedural version of something people are only watching in Soap form these days (Shondaland series).

Sober

What is everyone's pick for first show canned this season and how long into the season before it happens?
Predicting that everyone is gonna be mostly gunshy about cancellations again like last season. Like you have to have really bad ratings like Wicked City did to just straight up get pulled.

Pretty sure Wicked City got pulled right off the schedule, was one of the first ones, right?

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
The first show to be cancelled last season was ABC's Wicked City on November 13th, just 3 episodes into its season.

The year before that it was ABC's Manhattan Love Story on October 24th, after 4 episodes.

The year before that it was ABC's Lucky 7 on October 4th, after 2 episodes.

Out of ABC's new fall shows, the only one that I could see being a big enough bomb to be the first cancelled series of the season would be Notorious, but that's sandwiched in between Grey's and HtGAwM, so it has the chance of doing okayish.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I realized that it's been a year since I've had a decent TV news podcast to listen to and there STILL isn't a replacement by either Sepinwall or Feinberg. I guess podcasting about TV is deeeeead.

Lethal Weapon looks bad, MacGyver looks offensively so on top of being so blatant in its emulating the formula CBS has been running on now for well over a decade and looks to pretty much be a redressing of Scorpion and whatever the other shows do and less like the original MacGyver along with looking absolutely dreadful. It'll get five seasons and end up a part of the NCIS (or should that be JAG?) universe.

I'm also watching Timeless because I'm a sucker for time travel and I hope it doesn't suck and I hope that hilariously bad shot of them running from IIRC the Hindenburg crash and explosion is either improved of cut. Given how things go with science fiction on major networks it's probably DOA like the rest of the timey wimey shows that have been on them post-Quantum Leap.

Speaking of I'm almost expecting NBC to finally whip out a Quantum Leap reboot next year. I'm surprised they haven't actually done it beyond that continuation that never got off the ground a long time ago at SyFy, actually might've still been Sci-Fi then. Maybe they learned their lesson after bringing back and fucking up the other shows they did that with like Bionic Woman and Knight Rider both of which should've been complete no brainers on how to make it work and maybe that was the problem. Kind of a shame since there was definitely an opening to do a continuation there even though being a product of its time made the show's "future" setting more comedic than probably intended... At least they limited its usage. On the other hand if it's a full on reboot or Bellisario isn't involved I don't think I'd want to see it anyway.

Joni

Timeless, I think it is. I expect Frequency to be better than either of those. :)

I'm guessing Timeless cancellation then, mid-October, after about 6-7 episodes. Should give them enough time to rush up Taken.

Predicting that everyone is gonna be mostly gunshy about cancellations again like last season. Like you have to have really bad ratings like Wicked City did to just straight up get pulled.

I don't think that will change. Stuff will run for 13 episodes after which they'll magically turn out to have been 'limited series'.

I guess Notorious, three eps in? Seems like a procedural version of something people are only watching in Soap form these days (Shondaland series).

Out of ABC's new fall shows, the only one that I could see being a big enough bomb to be the first cancelled series of the season would be Notorious, but that's sandwiched in between Grey's and HtGAwM, so it has the chance of doing okayish.

Notorious might fill that Quantico 'vibe', aka a Shonda show that isn't made by Shonda. I hope that, Conviction and Designated Survivor survive. So Speechless and American Housewife for the ABC cancellations.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
To round things out:

The first cancellation of the 2012 season was CBS' Made in Jersey on October 10, after 2 episodes.

in 2011 it was NBC's The Playboy Club on October 4, after 3 episodes.

in 2010 it was Fox's Lone Star on September 28, after 2 episodes.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
RyYe1Vh.png

Perfect image.
come back to us, ivy

RIP Ivy!

And yay time to get my daily ratings game back in shape!

#DefeatDan

[rolls up sleeves] You're on, Pen!

The first show to be cancelled last season was ABC's Wicked City on November 13th, just 3 episodes into its season.

The year before that it was ABC's Manhattan Love Story on October 24th, after 4 episodes.

The year before that it was ABC's Lucky 7 on October 4th, after 2 episodes.

To round things out:

The first cancellation of the 2012 season was CBS' Made in Jersey on October 10, after 2 episodes.

in 2011 it was NBC's The Playboy Club on October 4, after 3 episodes.

in 2010 it was Fox's Lone Star on September 28, after 2 episodes.

So if history serves, some show isn't going to make it to a handful of episodes.

Busty

Banned
I have a confession to make....,

I'm really looking forward to the Lethal Weapon TV show.

*gasps*

It feels good to share.

Lethal Weapon must be cheap, and Fox is desperate

I heard they were spending a fortune on Lethal Weapon. But yes, Fox is desperate.

Any takers as to the first casualty?

Exorcist.

When this pulls a 0.7 on its debut watch Fox panic like never before.

..., but then again they didn't cancel Scream Queens (thankfully) last year when it debuted to pitiful numbers so we shall see.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
This is Us is a high concept prestige drama, they're clearly going for the yuppie smart-thinker class that liked the Paul Haggis Crash or the film adaptation of The Hours, an audience that is constantly on the very borderline of crying about how poignant it all is. I'm not sure any of those people still watch network tv besides Shonda shows.

That one with the imaginary friend, I forget it's name

I think that's a midseason show too but yeah I can't imagine Jenna Elfman (star of maybe more one season TV shows than any other human ever) talking to an imaginary friend is going to find an audience.

maxcriden

I'll put my money on Lethal Weapon. That or that show on NBC "This is Us" or something along those lines. But Lethal Weapon is my first guess.

This is Us seems like another Six Degrees, i.e. the quiet character-driven show that wouldn't hit it big on a network or be a good fit for most cable demographics. So I expect to like it a whole lot and then aee it cancelled within a few eps.

The West Wing and FNL comparisons for Pitch, from the same creator as This is Us, gives me some hope for that show as well despite my lack of interest in baseball.

TripOpt55

Not too many cancellations last season that really bothered me. I will miss The Grinder though. It's cancellation certainly didn't surprise me, but it was great, so I would have loved more.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
This is Us is getting pretty solid reviews and also set the viewership record for "most Facebook video views of a new-show trailer during the seven days of upfront week" by quite a wide margin. (THIS IS IMPORTANT)

In terms of YouTube views for the trailers released 3 months ago on the respective official channel accounts and because I have no life:

(in millions)

This is Us - 8.43
Timeless - 8.19
Lethal Weapon - 4.36
The Good Place - 2.80
The Exorcist - 2.72
Son of Zorn - 2.70
Designated Survivor - 2.51
Pitch - 2.13
Speechless - 1.48
American Housewife - 1.27
Conviction - 822K
Frequency - 621K
MacGyver - 260K
The Great Indoors - 194K
Notorious - 188K
Bull - 172K
Kevin Can Wait - 135K
Pure Genius - 99K
Man with a Plan - ??
No Tomorrow - ??

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I can't even guess. I look at half the new shows and want to say they'd instantly tank, and then see they're on CBS and somehow old and/or lame people will keep those shows on for years.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
^
It's easy to shit on old people, but now that I'm out of the 18-34 bracket, I realize that my viewing habits literally don't matter any more to anyone. lol

And hey, remember that eventually you'll be irrelevant too in a few years!

maxcriden

This is Us is getting pretty solid reviews and also set the viewership record for "most Facebook video views of a new-show trailer during the seven days of upfront week" by quite a wide margin. (THIS IS IMPORTANT)

In terms of YouTube views for the trailers released 3 months ago on the respective official channel accounts and because I have no life:

(in millions)

This is Us - 8.43
Timeless - 8.19
Lethal Weapon - 4.36
The Good Place - 2.80
The Exorcist - 2.72
Son of Zorn - 2.70
Pitch - 2.13
Speechless - 1.48
Conviction - 822K
Frequency - 621K
MacGyver - 260K
The Great Indoors - 194K
Notorious - 188K
Bull - 172K
Kevin Can Wait - 135K
Pure Genius - 99K
Man with a Plan - ??
No Tomorrow - ??

Interesting list, thank you. I'll take any nugget of hope I can regarding This is Us. I mean, presuming I like the show. :p

It's interesting to see the further you go down them list the closer you get to what appears to be the most traditional TV, your laugh track multicams and your procedural CBS-type shows....

Hobbun

Did they ever go somewhere interesting with it?

Well, it has weaker episodes like any TV series, but I never thought it wasn't interesting, but it at least had a good ending. No cliffhanger. But still would have loved to see more of it.

kevin1025

Banned
Anyone reading Feinberg's yearly Take Me to the Pilots series?

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/topic/take-me-pilots

Impressions articles for several of the new network pilots. I usually find these to be as objective as possible an arbiter of what to expect from the pilots. Good reads.

He always has great write-ups, though I think he said it won't be as robust as the HitFix days this go-around.

As for first cancellation... I'm going with Speechless.

I think This Is Us will be the surprise hit of the fall.

Pachimari

I smell a new thread!

It's time for me to finish Supergirl and The Vampire Diaires, and then I can plan what to watch this new season.

Are we talking about which of the new shows will get cancelled? Hmm, Lethal Weapons and MacGuyver.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
Fresh Thread, Fresh Pilots, Fresh coffee & apple pie. Bring on the new season!

RIP Galavant.

Come back to us, ivy.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
The first image hurts. Limitless was way, way better than it had any right to be.

I'm not going to say that Limitless was the best show that got cancelled, but I feel like it probably had some of the most long-term commercial potential of any cancelled show last year.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
^
It's easy to shit on old people, but now that I'm out of the 18-34 bracket, I realize that my viewing habits literally don't matter any more to anyone. lol

I may eventually be irrelevant, but that won't mean I'll have to start liking CBS programming.

beat

^

I think among the broadcast networks, only the CW is focused on 18-34. The rest focus on 18-49, so there's relevance for us for a few more years.

kevin1025

Banned
I may eventually be irrelevant, but that won't mean I'll have to start liking CBS programming.

Once you're out of the 18-34 bracket, your cable box gets stuck on CBS and there's no way to turn it off. Once you hit that age, 10pm is bedtime anyway, so it's not all bad!

DrEvil

not a medical professional
I really hope Kevin can Wait gets the axe quickly. But it's Lowest common denominator comedy, so knowing our luck it'll stick around like big bang theory and 2 and a half men and we'll all wonder how the fuck anyone watches that garbage.

McGuyver will stick around probably until sweeps then die off because of retro nostalgia bullcrap.

Same goes for Lethal Weapon.

Anything with an established franchise behind it likely won't get a quick axe because the networks don't want to risk ruining said franchises, so expect the first kill to be something new and stupid, not old and rebooted.

On the flip side, I kind of hope Frequency does well... it was a great film and should translate nicely to TV although I don't know how they'd do multiple seasons with it without royally fucking the butterfly effect / space time continuum.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Just watching reruns of Buffy the Vampire Slayer on Netflix or something?

I mean House of Cards ain't that good.

Normally I just let my SO watch food channel or whatever she wants to watch.We just started watching The Office and New Girl. I've seen most of the office, she's seen none. Neither of us have watched New Girl.

It's mainly Netflix or Hbo for us. What would be the top tier network shows? I know Cable is like The Walking Dead, which I do watch. Is there anything else worthy? (I also have heard good things about The Americans).

Once you're out of the 18-34 bracket, your cable box gets stuck on CBS and there's no way to turn it off. Once you hit that age, 10pm is bedtime anyway, so it's not all bad!

Except when certain shows like Person of Interest come on. Then the tv magically switches off for the hour and then back on when it's done.

Tamanon

Banned
I'm excited for Designated Survivor. But, worst case, it'll make an easy thread title when it's gone.

Bull.....I dunno, I like Weatherly, but the commercials kinda suck thus far.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Then, when you die alone sitting in front of your TV, your limp, lifeless body rolls over, hitting the buttons on the remote for your local CW affiliate.

Then you become part of the ~300k that will watch Crazy Ex-Girlfriend or Jane the Virgin just the same as a Mortal Kombat X tournament.

Sober

This is Us seems like another Six Degrees, i.e. the quiet character-driven show that wouldn't hit it big on a network or be a good fit for most cable demographics. So I expect to like it a whole lot and then aee it cancelled within a few eps.
Oh hey someone else here who remembers Six Degrees. How's it going buddy! 🤗

(in millions)

This is Us - 8.43
Timeless - 8.19
Lethal Weapon - 4.36
The Good Place - 2.80
The Exorcist - 2.72
Son of Zorn - 2.70
Pitch - 2.13
Speechless - 1.48
Conviction - 822K
Frequency - 621K
MacGyver - 260K
The Great Indoors - 194K
Notorious - 188K
Bull - 172K
Kevin Can Wait - 135K
Pure Genius - 99K
Man with a Plan - ??
No Tomorrow - ??
Once again Ratsky puts actual effort into this stuff. My post was just a bunch of copy/pasted lists mixed in with some bad snark. How has no one pulled back my curtain yet?

The first image hurts. Limitless was way, way better than it had any right to be.
I love rubbing salt into people's wounds but it was way easier last year with shows like Mad Men and Hannibal ending.

When I figure out how to make half decent gifs ala Sunhi style then we're in trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom