• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Animal Crossing: New Leaf |OT4| Lives Can Be Cataloged But Not Reordered

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ellix

I did PM Linius to volunteer for writing a bit about the "swimming trick", but in the meantime:

Did we ever reach a consensus about whether or not 1 PWP suggestion is the maximum for the day? In my personal experience I've never had more than 1 in a day, but I remember reading about people who claim they got more than one.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
I did PM Linius to volunteer for writing a bit about the "swimming trick", but in the meantime:

Did we ever reach a consensus about whether or not 1 PWP suggestion is the maximum for the day? In my personal experience I've never had more than 1 in a day, but I remember reading about people who claim they got more than one.

Personally, I have never gotten more than one, and I don't recall seeing anybody here mention they've gotten more than one either. Idk.

Garland7G

so my peppy suggest the round street light instead of the fairy tale bridge ugh. Another day with only 2 bridges, its torture.
Also thx Niraj :)

Philia

I've only gotten one a day too.

Purists will hate me for asking this but what should we do about the alt reset trick info? Is it... considered cheating or exploiting the game mechanics that's backwards?

It is exploiting, but the systems that decides on where a villager will move to is terrible. It's one of the single most frustrating and demoralizing systems in AC. So include the trick in the FAQ because it's important.

Koren

Chadder is delicious.
I agree. And a good source of paintings, since Niraj's trick...

Personally, I have never gotten more than one, and I don't recall seeing anybody here mention they've gotten more than one either. Idk.
Same here. And when I farmed for scorpions, I had all the chances to get a second suggestion. Pretty sure it's once a day.

Philia

It is exploiting, but the systems that decides on where a villager will move to is terrible. It's one of the single most frustrating and demoralizing systems in AC. So include the trick in the FAQ because it's important.

I agree. I've pmed this to Linius (with the helpful image going around).

Niraj

Now, now, no need to be mean. New thread means a new, fresh start. ;)

Don't trust Niraj. I heard he takes hands from people if he doesn't get his smuggled pictures.

It would have been in the old thread though :)

It's certainly a handy trick. You may kill me now.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
And BGBW, I just tried to add an image to the banner but I have no idea how PS works. If you could make a banner that says 'special visitors' and add an image of Brewster or some other character that's not in the OP yet I would be very happy :D
You're playing a dangerous game putting me in charge of the banners…

I've done the swimming trick every day for the last month or so now, with some days taking up to 5 hours to get a request. I have never, ever had more than one request a day.

And I am hanging my head in disappointment for being pictured on my first ever "hall of shame". Curse you Animal Crossing.

Stat!

Hey anybody need the Kitchen Island? Just as I was falling asleep I decided to check the island randomly, and bought one.

Great to see OT4 up, and an awesome title by Niraj.

I see the new bugs up, but does anyone have the bugs that are going away in August? I.e last month to catch?

Also, concerning the PWP, someone on the AC subreddit said that they save and quit, and reload without anything in inventory to achieve the same trick as the swimming one but with possibly a higher success rate. I still want my police station!

mantidor

Is there any tips on breeding hybrid flowers? or is it just luck? my town is getting too filled with them so I've thought about storing the non hybrid ones to increase my chances, how long do flowers survive in your pockets or inventory?

Philia

Is there any tips on breeding hybrid flowers? or is it just luck? my town is getting too filled with them so I've thought about storing the non hybrid ones to increase my chances, how long do flowers survive in your pockets or inventory?

They can survive infinitely. Trick to hybrids is their placement next to each other and which colors. The Hybrid Faq is in the OP. I'm not sure if its 100% accurate though.

SuperSah

Banned

My younger brother got two once, he got a Video Screen and then a Bridge.

So totally possible.

Levi

Banned
Purists will hate me for asking this but what should we do about the alt reset trick info? Is it... considered cheating or exploiting the game mechanics that's backwards? Is it wrong to include it into the FAQ?

It's easy enough to protect your flowers by A.) planting them on the beach or B.) planting them next to PWP. The Alt reset trick isn't as bad as time traveling or duping, but none of that belongs in the OP. The OP should be how to play the game as it is intended, there are plenty of places to go to learn how to cheat/exploit.

Acid08

Banned
For the new page, added TIY stuff

TIY:

Bug Zapper
Boomerang
Green Wardrobe
Violin

Plush Carpet
Citrus Carpet
Kitchen Wall
Sky Wall

K.K. Swing

Fossils:

Archelon Skull
Sabertooth Skull
Dimetrodon Torso
Plesio Neck
T.rex Skull
Plesio Skull
Mammoth Skull
Ankylo Skull

Let me know if you need any of these, I'll add you and open up :). In return I'd just like to catalog a couple Minimalist items:

Minimalist mini table
Neutral wall

Garland7G

Whoever said those fireworks look like bongs was not lying...

tumblr_mqv4k5akOT1swi0i7o1_400.jpg

Ellix

I've only gotten one a day too.

Same here. And when I farmed for scorpions, I had all the chances to get a second suggestion. Pretty sure it's once a day.

I've done the swimming trick every day for the last month or so now, with some days taking up to 5 hours to get a request. I have never, ever had more than one request a day.

Awesome, thanks for the replies. I was pretty sure this was the cas-

My younger brother got two once, he got a Video Screen and then a Bridge.

So totally possible.

Oh dear.

I actually found the GameTrailers video which references NeoGAF that covers pretty much everything there is to say about the PWP trick, (I think it was mentioned in OT3?) so this would probably do the job well in place of a text guide.

For the record the video also says 1 suggestion per day.

Only minor things to add include:
  • Trapping a villager with holes so they won't move around
  • Items that you can fill your pockets with include not just Bells but also tools, shells, and flowers
  • Although known as the "swimming trick" the key is really just to avoid eye contact with any villagers for a period of time, so if you prefer to stand around in Main Street (with no villagers around) or at your house you could do that too. However, remember that villager locations can randomize when you leave the screen so this method is less reliable compared to swimming if you're trying to ask a specific villager for suggestions.

Levi

Banned
tumblr_mqv4jaDcSx1qz9t7co1_400.jpg

Some of my hybrid flowers. I've given tons of orange and black roses away (mostly to my wife, although I've traded some to Gaffers), and used three blacks to make gold roses. But purples...

The purples are from my wife's town.. I have two huge fields of white roses, as well as these two, and I have yet to see a purple rose spawn in my town.

Philia

It's easy enough to protect your flowers by A.) planting them on the beach or B.) planting them next to PWP. The Alt reset trick isn't as bad as time traveling or duping, but none of that belongs in the OP. The OP should be how to play the game as it is intended, there are plenty of places to go to learn how to cheat/exploit.

Its not about flowers. Its about being able to create a bridge a nearby for some.

images

Pariah164 was having issues with her Chadders for this reason.

tumblr_mpvtwt4KsH1svlgkbo1_400.jpg

Plenty of complaints similar to this one while it took out two of his bamboo trees too.

I only am concerned of people griping so much about this.

Frogstep

tumblr_mqv4jaDcSx1qz9t7co1_400.jpg

Some of my hybrid flowers. I've given tons of orange and black roses away (mostly to my wife, although I've traded some to Gaffers), and used three blacks to make gold roses. But purples...

The purples are from my wife's town.. I have two huge fields of white roses, as well as these two, and I have yet to see a purple rose spawn in my town.

I've been trying so hard to get Blue ones, but they just seem to either hate my town or me. :<

Awesome, thanks for the replies. I was pretty sure this was the cas-

Oh dear.

I actually found the GameTrailers video which references NeoGAF that covers pretty much everything there is to say about the PWP trick, (I think it was mentioned in OT3?) so this would probably do the job well in place of a text guide.

For the record the video also says 1 suggestion per day.

Only minor things to add include:
  • Trapping a villager with holes so they won't move around
  • Items that you can fill your pockets with include not just Bells but also tools, shells, and flowers
  • Although known as the "swimming trick" the key is really just to avoid eye contact with any villagers for a period of time, so if you prefer to stand around in Main Street (with no villagers around) or at your house you could do that too.

So swimming doesn't speed up how quickly special conversations come up?

I agree. I've pmed this to Linius (with the helpful image going around).

I think it should be in the FAQ b/c it'd be sad for someone not to read it and then have all their hard work re paths/flowers/trees/etc ruined when someone moves in. That's supposed to be exciting not awful!

Ellix

So swimming doesn't speed up how quickly special conversations come up?

The swimming itself is not the key, but staying away from them seems to be the key. Swimming is the most reliable method because villagers will not see you in the ocean, so you can safely idle for 5 min at a time in the sea without being afraid of a villager wandering over to you. (Of course if you idle too long you'll have to get rid of the "take a rest" message first.)

Although it sounds like swimming is more annoying than simply staying in Main Street or in your house, remember that villager locations can re-spawn when you do this so it's less reliable compared to staying on the same screen the whole time while swimming, especially if you're trying to ask a specific villager for suggestions.

Animekatt

I love doing the swimming trick. I can just leave the volume down, so I don't have to hear my poor character gettin stung by jellyfish, while watching tv and or browsing GAF.

Anyone in need for some yard work done? Let me know! I need to hit up Samurai Heart's! :3

You still need to finish up in my town right? If so, I'll let you know when I'm home. :)

suzu

Was doing the reset trick just now (yeah whatever) because I only have 8 animals and I needed a Cranky villager. After passing on a few normal/peppy at the campsite, I got Static!

And he put his house right next to the camp! Haha. Really perfect spot though. Didn't take out any of my paths or flowers.

Not my first choice in cranky villagers (I would have liked any wolf or Gaston/Kabuki), but yeah. He's pretty cute looking.

Marvie_3

Banned
Hey I missed your messages, but yeah I would support appreciate those items. I actually don't need the ottoman anymore but do need the other two.

Alright. Got them ordered for you. They'll be in my mailbox later today and I can get them to you tonight.

Ellix

Was doing the reset trick just now (yeah whatever) because I only have 8 animals and I needed a Cranky villager. After passing on a few normal/peppy at the campsite, I got Static!

And he put his house right next to the camp! Haha. Really perfect spot though. Didn't take out any of my paths or flowers.

Not my first choice in cranky villagers (I would have liked any wolf or Gaston/Kabuki), but yeah. He's pretty cute looking.

Excellent! Not only is Static my first choice in Cranky villagers, he's my only dream villager. Too bad the game is actively making it impossible for me to try to recruit him to my town...

This is what happens when you plant a flower right before a villager plants a flower in the same spot. I hope this flower never dies.

issl7ZLi2zwz4.JPG

Niraj

Incidentally guys, since we're early in the OT and this will get buried by the plethora of posts we're likely to get, I just want to say how much I've enjoyed the company of the community. I haven't been a poster on GAF for even a year yet, and this is the most at home I've felt so far. The thing I really love the most is the willingness of people to help, often without any form of reciprocation in mind. Somebody will post, "anyone have item x?" and without fail there will be multiple people willing to let them catalog it, or who will order it for them. The generosity and kindness is really quite special, whether it's mass cataloging, or Philia's gardening services :)

Doubtlessly as time passes, we'll start playing less, as more games arrive, and that's only natural. But I really do hope I'll get to play more of this, and other games, with many of you, as I do consider a lot of you as friends. Suzu, eggwolio, Wolfe, SolidEyeSystem, Wheelhoss1, rpmurphy, debs, Katt, Philia, Linius, bluepolicebox, UberTag, and many more of you, I really have enjoyed our time playing together, even when it's literally us just standing around and chatting. That's not even to mention people I've met via the international island who I correspond with through email (!) which is something that I'm astounded even happened. It's just always amazing to me that so many different kinds of people, from so many different places can find common ground in this silly game of ours :p

To think that I didn't even originally intend to buy this game (!). Now I'm one of the worst offenders here :/

tl;dr, I love you guys and this community

carry on

Pancetti and Deli need to go. I found out the hard way last night that pushing villagers for awhile will piss them off or make them sad. I made my poor buddy Drake sad :(

But then I did it on purpose to Pancetti to piss her off and it worked. I tried doing it to Deli while he slept in his house but he just kept moving and never woke up. The bastard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom