• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Animal Crossing: New Leaf |OT4| Lives Can Be Cataloged But Not Reordered

Status
Not open for further replies.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Yup, visiting Katrina elsewhere counts towards your own goal of 20. Not that of the host.

EDIT

And now I'm definitely gonna add a bit on Katrina because this has been asked a billion times over the course of three OT's :p

Also a piece on Nook's shop and that it's possible to buy at a foreign Nook.

Also make a note that you can only get one Katrina fortune per day, even if you visit another town. Same deal with art from Redd.

Despera

Banned
Yup, visiting Katrina elsewhere counts towards your own goal of 20. Not that of the host.

EDIT

And now I'm definitely gonna add a bit on Katrina because this has been asked a billion times over the course of three OT's :p

Also a piece on Nook's shop and that it's possible to buy at a foreign Nook.
Also make a note that you can only get one Katrina fortune per day, even if you visit another town. Same deal with art from Redd.
Thanks for clearing that up, guys.

Linius

Yup, just doing some complete guidelines on those shops and how they work. I also think we have nothing on Gulliver yet so I'll add him to. Maybe I should just create a special visitors section.

And BGBW, I just tried to add an image to the banner but I have no idea how PS works. If you could make a banner that says 'special visitors' and add an image of Brewster or some other character that's not in the OP yet I would be very happy :D

For now I'm leaving you guys and I'll be back tomorrow. Please don't completely bomb my PM box :p

I made the list for the last thread? Definitely putting that on my résumé.

Here's the link to Liquefy's brilliant FAQ which is handy for the HHA theme challenge and any item-related business. I think you need to use this link because they might not allow it to be linked directly.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/3ds/997811-animal-crossing-new-leaf/faqs

You might also, while giving proper credit to Liquefy, quote the part about tanning from the FAQ since we're now into that time of year and it's been discussed. It's good info for both encouraging and preventing a tan.

Philia

I made the list for the last thread? Definitely putting that on my résumé.

Here's the link to Liquefy's brilliant FAQ which is handy for the HHA theme challenge and any item-related business. I think you need to use this link because they might not allow it to be linked directly.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/3ds/997811-animal-crossing-new-leaf/faqs

You might also, while giving proper credit to Liquefy, quote the part about tanning from the FAQ since we're now into that time of year and it's been discussed. It's good info for both encouraging and preventing a tan.

THIS! Tanning season is IN while at town as well.

July 16 to September 15 - Tanning Season

Liquefy's FAQ said:
Your player can tan while playing outside at least 15 minutes between 10am and
5pm, if it is not raining (and your player is not carrying an umbrella or
wearing an item that prevents tanning). There are seven stages to the
tanning, leading to a shade close to that of the darkest fur on [Tom Nook]
Tanukichi {Neogul}.
The following items prevent tanning:
1-Up Cap Fi Mask Outback Hat Stagehand Hat
Alpinist Hat Fireman's Hat Paperboy Cap Star Cap
Baby's Hat Floppy Hat Pilot's Hat Straw Boater
Balloon Hat Football Helmet Pink-Zap Helmet Straw Hat
Batter's Helmet Ghost Mask Plain Black Cap Straw Umbrella Hat
Big Bro's Hat Grandpa Hat Police Cap Student Cap
Birthday Hat Green Cap Puffy Hat Top Hat
Black Veil Green New Year's Hat Pumpkin Head Tulip Hat
Blue Cap Green-Pumpkin Head Purple Cap Wario Hat
Blue New Year's Hat Green-Zap Helmet Purple-Pumpkin Head White Cap
Blue Ogre Mask Hero's Cap Racing Helmet White Team Hat
Blue Plaid Fedora Hunter's Cap Red Cap Witch's Hat
Blue-Zap Helmet Jockey's Helmet Red New Year's Hat Wrestling Mask
Bug Mask King Tut Mask Red Ogre Mask Y. New Year's Hat
Captain's Hat Knight's Helmet Red Team Hat Yellow Cap
Catcher's Mask Light-Blue Cap Red-Pumpkin Head Yellow-Pumpkin Hd
Cavalier Hat Li'l Bro's Hat Red-Zap Helmet Cucumber Pack
Cloche Hat Lion-Dance Mask Retro Helmet Facial Mask
Conical Straw Hat Mailman's Hat Roman Helmet Gas Mask
Dandy Hat Majora's Mask Safety Helmet Hockey Mask
Detective Hat Makar's Mask Samus Mask Jester's Mask
Diving Mask Midna's Mask School Hat Lemon Pack
Elegant Hat Monster Mask Ski Mask Masquerade Mask
Explorer's Hat Motocross Helmet Sombrero All 36 Umbrellas
Fencing Mask Mummy Mask Space Helmet

Niraj

Niraj: 1
Rest of Us: 0

Well, I am cooler than a fair number of cucumbers, so

What is Niraj's trick for obtaining paintings?

This is what I just pm'd Linius:

Niraj said:
Tired of Crazy Redd not showing up in your town week after week? Don't fret, you can still fill up that museum art section with the help of your villagers.

All you need are smug and cranky villagers (list). The trick is very simple:

First of all, it helps if your inventory is devoid of furniture/clothing, as that takes away one potential avenue of conversation. All you need to do, then, is talk to said villager. That's it!

Talk to them about five to seven times. If they don't offer to sell you a painting, go to main street or another building and go back to them again. This is to prevent the villager from getting upset/contemplative and not temporarily not talking to you. If they do offer you a painting, leave and come back as well, and start the process again.

Smug villagers sell their paintings at 7,056 a piece, while cranky villagers sell them at a more reasonable 3,136 a piece, and will occasionally just give them to you for free after you agree to buy them.

Bear in mind, these paintings can be fakes. So always check them in your house against the forged art guide. That's really all there is to it. Above all, be patient! You will run through the same sets of dialogue over and over, and there will be a point where you're sick of hearing that you're cooler than a fair number of cucumbers, or that the villager isn't going to use the weather as an excuse. Eventually your persistence will pay off.

Edit: Btw, Philia, got a jolly painting for you if you still needed it :)

EDIT: Not sure if this is known about Katrina or not but your lucky item from a reading is still valid even if you get Resetti'd. I was disconnected from davidbloop's town yesterday after getting my fortune but the item she told me still cured my tripping. I doubt that reading will count towards getting the shop but I was happy not to have to have it redone just to stop tripping.

Well, I am cooler than a fair number of cucumbers

Shoom!

Thanks for copying the list. I'm mobile right now and copying/pasting on an iPad is rarely worth the heartache.

Niraj

Weak OT name guys, come on! xD

Removed from friends list.

YES. Thank you. My silly husband bought a fake thinking its real, and not only that, he derped realizing he already had a legit donated lol.

I actually just got ANOTHER legit one from Groucho. Kind of funny that he of all people would be giving jolly paintings. Cranky bastard.

Want to pop in, or should I drop it off?

And who wants the other one?

Ellix

This is what I just pm'd Linius:

The trick also works for Uchi villagers who sell for about 4k Bells. It's also good to not have any tools equipped because they can remark on whatever tool you're holding when you talk to them. Another potentially useless line of conversation that comes up frequently is if they're standing near a villager's house, so if you can somehow wait or lead them away it would help.

Niraj

The trick also works for Uchi villagers who sell for about 4k Bells. It's also good to not have any tools equipped because they can also remark on whatever tool you're holding when you talk to them. Another potentially useless line of conversation that comes up frequently is if they're standing near a villager's house, so if you can somehow wait or lead them away it would help.

Ah yes, totally spaced on that. Have you managed to get any from Uchi villagers just by chatting? The only one I've gotten from Muffy had her running up to me. I meant to mention that but it totally slipped my mind. Those are good tips as well.

Philia

Removed from friends list.

I actually just got ANOTHER legit one from Groucho. Kind of funny that he of all people would be giving jolly paintings. Cranky bastard.

Want to pop in, or should I drop it off?

And who wants the other one?

I'll open my gates for you! :3

Ah yes, totally spaced on that. Have you managed to get any from Uchi villagers just by chatting? The only one I've gotten from Muffy had her running up to me. I meant to mention that but it totally slipped my mind. Those are good tips as well.

That's how I got all mine from Deirdre. Just chatted her up then left and came back on repeat.

Okay, mine are Shep and Gruff for the paintings, it looks like. Time to pay them a visit...

Ow, yeah, just visited Lyman's house. Not sure about his condition though, he really likes the flea I gave him...

tumblr_mqv2cgbjjo1scfba3o1_400.jpg

Ellix

Yeah, I try your convo method on Uchi villagers too if they're out and about, and they've offered them through regular chat.

I'm not sure if it's a coincidence but I've found my Uchi villagers are far less reliable for legit paintings than the Smug and Cranky >__>

Garland7G

I've gotten one from chatting up mine, was a fake though :p

suzu

OT4!

The OP def needs to be updated... some of the FAQ/Tips and Tricks were added by me and they are probably wrong. lol. At least the "How do I get a villager to move out?" question should be changed. :p

revised version:
How do I get a villager to move out?
One way is to ignore them completely. They will eventually move out after a few weeks.

Another way is to become really good friends with them (talking to them often, completing their requests, sending letters, etc).

Sometimes a different villager will talk about them moving out. Or they will tell you they are moving out, to which you can say yes/no to it. After saying goodbye, you should ignore them until they finally move out of your town.

*Note: Isabelle's option for dealing with "problematic citizens" does not evict them. It only deletes any catch phrases that someone else may have taught the villager.

Should probably also remove the 3DS XL bundle stuff, Tortimer Island, Media & Links, Reviews, etc.

Ugh... four more perfect days I think... want my gold can so badly.

Also... someone needs to move out cause I want my Barold (specifically Philia's).

I wrote him a note yesterday. Most people won't ever get the chance to see it so I'm posting it here so you know how serious I am about him.

Philia

OT4!

The OP def needs to be updated... some of the FAQ/Tips and Tricks were added by me and they are probably wrong. lol. At least the "How do I get a villager to move out?" question should be changed. :p

revised version:

Should probably also remove the 3DS XL bundle stuff, Tortimer Island, Media & Links, Reviews, etc.

YAY, glad to hear your thoughts! :3 I'm all for a concise OP too.

Ugh... four more perfect days I think... want my gold can so badly.

Also... someone needs to move out cause I want my Barold (specifically Philia's).

I wrote him a note yesterday. Most people won't ever get the chance to see it so I'm posting it here so you know how serious I am about him.

LMAO! <333333333333

Niraj

That's how I got all mine from Deirdre. Just chatted her up then left and came back on repeat.

Yeah, I try your convo method on Uchi villagers too if they're out and about, and they've offered them through regular chat.

I'm not sure if it's a coincidence but I've found my Uchi villagers are far less reliable for legit paintings than the Smug and Cranky >__>

I've gotten one from chatting up mine, was a fake though :p

Very interesting! Do you guys think you could garner another one and write down the exact price? We can add it in at some point.

That makes me wonder if theoretically ANY villager can sell you a painting, or if it's relegated to those three personality types. Anyone have luck with normal, lazy, snooty, or peppy villagers hooking you up with art? And anyone fortuitous enough to have been sold a statue?

Also, still have an extra jolly painting for anyone that wants it.

Koren

revised version:
I'm still not convinced anything you do (or not do) change anything for animals wanting to leave or not.

Had Beautiful Town off for 1 day to test black rose wilting (0 wilted lol). Never had a flower wilt since 1st couple days, and what wilted, a purple rose that I know I watered. So I water it and leave it, and the I come back to my patch of 4 and get ready to move them to where I just destroyed a park clock to make room for a fire pit. So I go to pull up my last purple rose and . . . puff! . . . it's gone! Just got rid of a weed!

My heart broke a little over this. Ran right back to Isabelle and put Beautiful Town back on. :(

decaf

Hey all,

I'm looking for Majora's Mask, the promotional Japanese Seven Eleven items (ATM, etc.) and all the golden fruit apart from peaches.

I can trade arcade cabinets, tabletop games, shelves with GameCubes and a few other gamery bits.

I know Majora's Mask is highly sought after, so I'm offering my spare code for Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate from the Monster Hunter: Gift & Hunt Together Promotion (PAL only) for it with any gold fruit or Seven Eleven items you might have.

PM me if interested, my FC is on my GAF profile page.

Philia

I'm still not convinced anything you do (or not do) change anything for animals wanting to leave or not.

You CAN force them move by proactively NOT responding to their running at you prompts. You know the ones where they ask/tell you that they're moving... and giving you a random toss up option for them to move/stay that really doesn't work as intended.

Garland7G

Very interesting! Do you guys think you could garner another one and write down the exact price? We can add it in at some point.

That makes me wonder if theoretically ANY villager can sell you a painting, or if it's relegated to those three personality types. Anyone have luck with normal, lazy, snooty, or peppy villagers hooking you up with art? And anyone fortuitous enough to have been sold a statue?

Also, still have an extra jolly painting for anyone that wants it.

will do and I'll take that jolly!

Niraj

Hey all,

I'm looking for Majora's Mask, the promotional Japanese Seven Eleven items (ATM, etc.) and all the golden fruit apart from peaches.

I can trade arcade cabinets, tabletop games, shelves with GameCubes and a few other gamery bits.

I know Majora's Mask is highly sought after, so I'm offering my spare code for Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate from the Monster Hunter: Gift & Hunt Together Promotion (PAL only) for it with any gold fruit or Seven Eleven items you might have.

PM me if interested, my FC is on my GAF profile page.

Dude...don't do that. Majora's Mask is really not that hard to get. That's waaaaay too generous imo

will do and I'll take that jolly!

Ok sure thing, I'll add you in a sec here (Groucho decided he wanted to come over)

Wolfe

This is for wheelhoss (and anyone else that might be interested) but my re-tail is paying premium for hats today.

COME SELL YOUR HATS!

Philia

Purists will hate me for asking this but what should we do about the alt reset trick info? Is it... considered cheating or exploiting the game mechanics that's backwards? Is it wrong to include it into the FAQ?

Koren

You CAN force them move by proactively NOT responding to their running at you prompts. You know the ones where they ask/tell you that they're moving... and giving you a random toss up option for them to move/stay that really doesn't work as intended.
Once the RNG has trigger a "move out" for a character, I agree that you should avoid talking to them at all cost when they're coming. And since you can't really know when the "move out" has triggered (you can get warning from others, though), you're better not talking to them at all.

I don't think that would speed up the process, though, just avoiding that they decide to stay after such an encounter.

Niraj

Added you, also can you come to my town? I only need like 70 something more visitors for the train station remodel so i'm almost done...

Yeah no problem man.

Purists will hate me for asking this but what should we do about the alt reset trick info? Is it... considered cheating or exploiting the game mechanics that's backwards?

Hmm. Personally I'm indifferent. It's definitely helpful for people like you that put a TON of time into their flowers. I can understand not wanting to have all that hard work destroyed for pretty much no reason.

YES! Chadder's pic for helping him get better!!! Rock on, superior mouse of the little mouses.

Also, with the amount of bamboo I'm now collecting, I might be able to bamboo my entire village in a week. Hahaha... *tempted*

Acid08

Banned
Fossils:

Archelon Skull
Sabertooth Skull
Dimetrodon Torso
Plesio Neck
T.rex Skull
Plesio Skull
Mammoth Skull
Ankylo Skull

Let me know if you need any of these, I'll add you and open up :). In return I'd just like to catalog a couple Minimalist items:

Minimalist mini table
Minimalist ottoman
Neutral wall

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom