• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT3| Remember Reach?

Overdoziz

Banned
I don't see why they should put resources into a highly exploitable system when MM eliminates those problems.

You can't have both when time and resources aren't infinite.
What do you know about 343's resources and time that makes you think adding a custom browser would eat up too much of those?

I don't see why they should put resources into a highly exploitable system when MM eliminates those problems.

You can't have both when time and resources aren't infinite.
Then don't allow host to kick in public games set for custom browsing. Set it to a vote if someone's making everyone have a bad time. Halo has a lot of customization options, MM can't begin to scratch the surface of them even with all the playlists.

GhaleonEB

I know I'll truly miss armor lock.

... in campaign and firefight.

So awesome..
I won't.

reach_21967380_Full.jpg

JERKS.jpg

Those four locked sequentially. "I'll shoot this guy, well damn. Okay, that gu...fuck. This one the....dammit. Maybe that last one....fuck everything!"

Spop and lock.
Is there a place in my loadout for a sheet of cardboard? I don't want to scuff up the top of my helmet when doing headspins.

There were people freaking out? Look, to be perfectly honest, while I'm not disappointed by no dedicated servers (wasn't expecting them), I am open to the argument that there's no excuse not to have them.
Gears 3 ran so smoothly on dedicated servers, and I think it's incredibly odd that Halo will most likely never embrace them. I think Tashi nailed it when he said the bigger issue to have fixed is the skill matching and the limitation of host-switching. Reach's netcode was a massive improvement over H3's, and I see no reason that Halo 4 can't top Reach in that area as well.

FyreWulff

CoD does keep track of your killstreak when the host switches. Copy that 343!

Well, they'd definitely mark it as something to have 100% synced, due to it's central nature to the game.

I won't.

reach_21967380_Full.jpg

JERKS.jpg

Those four locked sequentially. "I'll shoot this guy, well damn. Okay, that gu...fuck. This one the....dammit. Maybe that last one....fuck everything!"

Was it ever explained how Brutes could armor lock in Reach?
Or just a carryover from the equipment usage stuff from 3?

What do you know about 343's resources and time that makes you think adding a custom browser would eat up too much of those?

I know where I don't want resources wasted ;)

Also, how would you address the issue that running custom game servers would immediately burn into the playlist populations? People play custom games as they please in Reach. There are plenty of places to find out where to play. Having a built-in system would only decrease users using the traditional playlists which would only hamper the player pool, making search times longer and skill restrictions looser.

As things are, if you really want to play the latest version of MLG before the MM updates, there are plenty of ways to get into a custom game.

Overdoziz

Banned
Also, if you think an admin abuses his power on a server simply quit and avoid him or something. Just because there will be a few people misusing the feature doesn't mean it shouldn't be implemented. A custom Browser could solve the problem that previous Halos have had with having too many playlists which makes matchmaking unfocused. I'd rather have 10 playlist with a few thousand players in each than 25 with half of those having around a 100 players in them at times.

And when Halo 4 starts dying down people will still be able to set up lobbies for people to join. That way you don't have to wait half an hour to get a match like is the case right now in Halo 3.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Custom browser lists would be nice but I wouldn't be sad if they're not in. I much prefer matchmaking.

Well I really meant I'll miss using armor lock myself, shotgun in hand. :)

But I don't really mind enemies surprising me with it every once in a while. Armor lock does suck in groups though, no doubt about it.

Was it ever explained how Brutes could armor lock in Reach?
Or just a carryover from the equipment usage stuff from 3?
Considering their violent aversion to needles I figured it was Bungie just tossing the Brutes a bone so they don't get wiped out too quickly. But fiction wise? Beats me.

I won't.

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p172/ghaleoneb/reach_21967380_Full.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p172/ghaleoneb/Reach%20Screens/JERKS.jpg[IMG]

Those four locked sequentially. "I'll shoot this guy, well damn. Okay, that gu...fuck. This one the....dammit. Maybe that last one....fuck everything!"[/QUOTE]I don't even see the point of AAs in campaign. They were so underutilized. Sprint was forced on you, and if you actually found something to switch it with, it'll go back to Sprint shortly after. Like that encounter in Winter Contingency near the end, you can find Armour Lock but DIRECTLY after that encounter, a cutscene happens and you're put back into Sprint for the last encounter of the level. Oh, but you could get Drop Shield solely to spice up a fight between two Elites and some Grunts.

Meh.

Also, if you think an admin abuses his power on a server simply quit and avoid him or something. Just because there will be a few people misusing the feature doesn't mean it shouldn't be implemented. A custom Browser could solve the problem that previous Halos have had with having too many playlists which makes matchmaking unfocused. I'd rather have 10 playlist with a few thousand players in each than 25 with half of those having around a 100 players in them at times.

And when Halo 4 starts dying down people will still be able to set up lobbies for people to join. That way you don't have to wait half an hour to get a match like is the case right now in Halo 3.

So why won't it work again with 4? You essentially proved my point. As is, people can just do what is already being done and achieve the same result.

Also, how would you address the issue that running custom game servers would immediately burn into the playlist populations? People play custom games as they please in Reach. There are plenty of places to find out where to play. Having a built-in system would only decrease users using the traditional playlists which would only hamper the player pool, making search times longer and skill restrictions looser.
If custom game browsing made a large impact on MM population that's even more of a reason to include them, because it says that people prefer to be able to play what they want! :)

If custom game browsing made a large impact on MM population that's even more of a reason to include them, because it says that people prefer to be able to play what they want! :)
True. And I'd imagine mid-match joins would cast a wider net for matchups and ease up some of the pressure on the managed playlists.

Arnie

Custom browser lists would be nice but I wouldn't be sad if they're not in. I much prefer matchmaking.

Same. I'd much rather be put into a game against people of a similar skill than go into a game and map combination of my choice, but against absolute plebeians. It's not fun to just effortlessly dong on opponents, even if it is a continuous loop of BR Slayer on The Pit.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Frank, David, idea for a HaloGaf day of Reach challenges.

Popping & Locking - Use armor lock 250 times in multiplayer matchmaking.
Bloom-field - Get 200 Kills with the full-bloom DMR
Not quite Halo 1 - Get 75 kills with the regular Reach pistol.
Banshee Bombing - Get 30 Banshee kills in multiplayer matchmaking.

Weekly -
I Wouldn't Have Been Your Daddy - Use armor lock with the DMR for 10 hours of multiplayer matchmaking playtime.

TheOddOne

Weekly -
I Wouldn't Have Been Your Daddy - Use armor lock with the DMR for 10 hours of multiplayer matchmaking playtime.
Bahahhahahahaha.

kylej

Banned

Weekly -

I'm pretty sure they can't add or change any of the existing challenges. Why? I'm going to take a stab and say not enough resources at the time.

What do you mean by this?
Allowing Mid-match joins is less restrictive than the current matchmaking algorithm that has to find a group of players AND create a brand new match for them. That slackening of restrictions should mean faster matchmaking overall and the ability to get Halo 3/Reach quality matches with fewer players in the overall population.

If you can get the same results with fewer players that reduces the pressure to keep those managed playlists filled to the brim. That means you take less of a hit to open up custom games, or 343 could alternately try to keep matchmaking times close to Reach's and put more logic into the algorithms themselves.

Unless I missing some of the finer points of the matchmaking system that is.

Allowing Mid-match joins is less restrictive than the current matchmaking algorithm that has to find a group of players AND create a brand new match for them. That slackening of restrictions should mean faster matchmaking overall and the ability to get Halo 3/Reach quality matches with fewer players in the overall population.

If you can get the same results with fewer players that reduces the pressure to keep those managed playlists filled to the brim.

Unless I missing some of the finer points of the matchmaking system that is.

Ah ok, I get ya ;) Yeah, that definitely seems like a good idea on paper. players wouldn't have any say in the map choice though so perhaps there would be an option to search for matches that haven't started yet.

It'll definitely be curious to see how MM is handled on Infinity, that's for sure.

Kuroyume

Banned
Should have cancelled Spartan Ops and used the resources to get dedicated servers and 60 fps. Maybe 200 people will be playing Spartan Ops four months after the game is released.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Should have cancelled Spartan Ops and used the resources to get dedicated servers and 60 fps. Maybe 200 people will be playing Spartan Ops four months after the game is released.

If supported like it should, I think Spartan Ops will be huge.

senador

Banned
If Spartan Ops is much more than Firefight and is pretty challenging like Spec Ops, I think it'll do well. All my non Halo CoD friends love that crap. Also I don't expect the name to change.

Aside from that, watching these posts from sideline developers and designers is great. Wanting things is one thing, opinions is another, but the crap being said is yet another but special thing. "Just do this" "Gears did it" "All they have to do is X". That's not how game development works, or any large scale project really. There's timelines, budgets, resources, etc. All have to be carefully planned out and decided upon. Sometimes things are too ambitious and it's better to recognize that than to dig yourself into a hole.

I don't really feel that dedicated servers are needed, I actually don't care for them as my experience with them as been poor. I think it's silly to write them off for Halo 5, 6, and beyond though. Step back and think about it. 1st game for 343. They looked to be killing it and doing great, but if they tried to do everything, it'd probably all be mediocre and in the end all the features would be there just to exist. It's easy to say "yeah but Gears, yeah but Microsoft". Well this isn't Epic, and it's hardly MS. They are simply owned by them. Separate technologies, code, skillsets, etc.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

Spartan Ops sounds awesome to me, so I disagree here. I like to balance my sanity with multiplayer and other things (firefight, etc.).

TheOddOne

If Spartan Ops is much more than Firefight and is pretty challenging like Spec Ops, I think it'll do well. All my non Halo CoD friends love that crap. Also I don't expect the name to change.

Aside from that, watching these posts from sideline developers and designers is great. Wanting things is one thing, opinions is another, but the crap being said is yet another but special thing. "Just do this" "Gears did it" "All they have to do is X". That's not how game development works, or any large scale project really. There's timelines, budgets, resources, etc. All have to be carefully planned out and decided upon. Sometimes things are too ambitious and it's better to recognize that than to dig yourself into a hole.

I don't really feel that dedicated servers are needed, I actually don't care for them as my experience with them as been poor. I think it's silly to write them off for Halo 5, 6, and beyond though. Step back and think about it. 1st game for 343. They looked to be killing it and doing great, but if they tried to do everything, it'd probably all be mediocre and in the end all the features would be there just to exist. It's easy to say "yeah but Gears, yeah but Microsoft". Well this isn't Epic, and it's hardly MS. They are simply owned by them. Separate technologies, code, skillsets, etc.
Most sensible thing I have read in this thread or any other.

Score Attack got me thinking. It's never made end-user sense that it goes through matchmaking vote/veto rounds like normal MM, why not just let the player choose the gametype and map they want to play?

So that made me consider possibilities for voting in Halo 4. After you gather up the matched players, have them all privately choose the gametype and map that they want, and go with the majority vote. Tie breakers being a random selection between the ties. I imagine it would serve to give more accurate MM data for player preferences as well with people directly stating what they want to play each session.

Arnie

Just been rolling a few games of MLG with randoms, doing fairly well, on a win streak of about 4 and then this happens. Holy shit. These guys were absolutely insane. Not huge on the pro scene but can Tashi, Over or Kyle tell me if any of these are notable? Felt like I was being hit in the face with a hammer, repeatedly.

In other news this was my first time seeing Waypoint stats since it transitioned over from BNET. I'm fairly impressed, looks pretty slick. I wish they could find a way to show your BPR in game though, and have it move up and down depending on matches played.

senador

Banned
As I understand it they're baked into the game, not a list they can customize easily.

Which kinda sucks, but kylej and co continually shit on challenges anyway and point out how stupid they are so...

I have 2 cents on challenges too... Reach team was largely a new team. Design decisions aside, they did a pretty stellar job. I imagine creating these new features in a system that is new to them was no easy task. So that paired with the fact that feature sets are rarely all encompassing from the start, but are evolutions over time, I'm not surprised to see they aren't expandable outside the game. I'd expect the next iteration (or if they had more time) to track things more dynamically, report to more of a central location, then have checks in places to also be able to look at another location like a database or text file for additional challenges.*

*I don't actually know how challenges work now.

Risen

Just been rolling a few games of MLG with randoms, doing fairly well, on a win streak of about 4 and then this happens. Holy shit. These guys were absolutely insane. Not huge on the pro scene but can Tashi, Over or Kyle tell me if any of these are notable? Felt like I was being hit in the face with a hammer, repeatedly.

In other news this was my first time seeing Waypoint stats since it transitioned over from BNET. I'm fairly impressed, looks pretty slick. I wish they could find a way to show your BPR in game though, and have it move up and down depending on matches played.

I get this message when trying to look at the link:

Sorry, we encountered a problem while processing your request.

senador

Banned
ibwbTB1uN5Qdie.gif

"Let's waste time and resources optimizing this net code"
"Why not just put dedis?"
"We can't tell each other about that right now, but we'd be glad to at a later date"

Oh god. You are probably just making jokes, but I also know you are upset about no dedicated servers so there's some truth in that.

Just adding then would solve nothing at all. They'd probably have to write all the code and systems from scratch or start from some simple base code packages that simply communicate with groups of servers. They'd also have to work and sign multiple contracts for servers all around the globe. Quite a task. Then they'd have to make sure they's all work correctly and account for variations in the equipment and networks and ISPs. They'd have to make sure all the servers are manned and maintained at all hours. They'd have to adapt their entire networking model to support this. It'd require very skilled network engineers for both coding and physical setups. It's no small task.

Arnie

I get this message when trying to look at the link:

Sorry, we encountered a problem while processing your request.

I just copied the link from Waypoint, that's how I'd have done it back on BNET. Is there a new method for linking game history on Waypoint?

Risen

I just copied the link from Waypoint, that's how I'd have done it back on BNET. Is there a new method for linking game history on Waypoint?

No clue... I get this message a lot (very specific term there) when clicking on linked pages for game history at Waypoint.

Top Bottom