• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FaceApp apparently now has race filters. I never got the humor in these.

Surfinn

Yeah, that one was a real headscratcher for me, too. At the same time, Poe's Law is in full effect, so...

I'm... not seeing the issue?

People using it to express their racism is something the app developers are not responsible for. (If anything, that's Twitter's problem to solve, since people are using their service to be annoying.)

I'd rather people be able to see these things and understand just how little difference there actually is between the many different ethnicities on the planet, even if a bunch of folks just use it as the object of a joke.

You and me both. I mean, I'm a trans-feminist and SE Asian and this just doesn't strike me as something worth getting angry about on any level. Sorry to those who do care about it in that way, but I'm just not seeing it.

Well I see the issue as it's turned into yet another device used as racist spam. It's not just twitter, people post that stuff all over the net, and if it's not being used as intended (as dumb as it is to believe it wouldn't be used in this way), then the app is doing more harm than good.

You could also leave it up and just let the app be a tool for racists online, but I think it's pretty obvious why the company would not want their hard work used in this manner.

MIMIC

Banned
4hVArKn.png

Love how the guy is like "So offensive! Anyway, here's me"

What the hell kinda tweet is that? xD

I got super excited when I seen the app was updating a minute ago but no luck it's still not back. Sucks that racist have to ruin everything oh well maybe another app will come a long 125ish years from now without this problem if I'm hopeful....

MIMIC

Banned
Lame. I wanted to try some more photos.

Well, with what's still there, the female version of me eerily looks like my mom, and the old version of me looks like a weird hybrid of my grandmother and dad.

Lol. Black Pence looks just like Obama.

LMAO, so black Pence is Obama and white Obama is Bush.

natjjohn

I got super excited when I seen the app was updating a minute ago but no luck it's still not back. Sucks that racist have to ruin everything oh well maybe another app will come a long 125ish years from know without this problem if I'm hopeful....

Gone before I could even use it. Sad

I was just going to try it on my wife and my kid and it's already gone... :( I guess if anyone was offended by it I have no say, but it feels like part of outrage culture.

Airola

You could also leave it up and just let the app be a tool for racists online, but I think it's pretty obvious why the company would not want their hard work used in this manner.

I don't think they care about that.
I think they only reacted to the backlash.

It just happens to be so that it is a serious risk to their business if they don't react when someone make claims that what they have done is racist, so they prefer to not take a risk and just end it before the initial outrage turns into people advocating for boycotting their brand. Social media can end businesses today.

EDIT: I mean, they could be trying to say why they think it's a nice thing to have and why it's not racist and that it's not their fault that racists are assholes, but if that wouldn't work it would be even worse situation. So it's better to just stop it without questioning it.

Out of interest did any one do George Washington or Ben Franklin? I want to see the Black founding Fathers (Sure that would piss off some republicans lol)

mantidor

It's so lame they took it down, this was facinating.

I'm starting to think the database of celebrities they use is not really big. Many generated faces seem pretty recognizable.

I have the suspicion this Obama - Bush, Pence - Obama were literal photoshops and didn't com from the app itself. No way to prove it now, thanks internet.

I don't use FaceApp. I don't even know what it is, but apparently this is new and I think I'm kinda spent. A thread on FB popped up with people posting how the app took their pics and made them Black, Asian, and what have you.

Relevant article: https://www.engadget.com/2017/08/09/faceapp-changes-race-selfie-editing-filters/

Take my pic and make me white because it's obviously funny if old.

its curious how well it works. I personally don't see how its too problematic. To me, it's an interesting look at what if. Just because this pic of you is black/asian/white/indian isn't an issue. If you think lesser of that version of the pic because of the race; you're the problem. You might meet someone IRL via this app who's meant to be your race doppleganger and start a friendship.

How you cope with the filter says more about the viewer. I wish I got to grab the app before it got pulled.

CaptainKashup

Neo Member
So.. Isn't there anyway to get back the APK of this version ?
I mean, I don't really get how it is racist, it's not trying to offend anyone I believe.

It's ridiculous that we live in a world where people are so obsessed with keeping races separated, on both sides of the political spectrum, that something as clever and if anything more unifying than divisive, in that it can show us how fundamentally similar we really are to one another beyond superficial accidents of birth, gets taken away from everyone in a torrent of blind, ignorant, knee jerk outrage.

So.. Isn't there anyway to get back the APK of this version ?
I mean, I don't really get how it is racist, it's not trying to offend anyone I believe.
I'm not going to comment on the app or the filters specifically anymore but I'd just like to say that something can be racist even if it wasn't intended to be. In fact that's how most racist things are.

Top Bottom