• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FaceApp apparently now has race filters. I never got the humor in these.

Arj02fZ.jpg

You fucking win.

"controversial"

It is interesting tech and really impressive to see how they applied these filters. Hopefully it comes back once more people understand how it works.

nOoblet16

Such a bummer that this was taken down so quickly. The tech was genuinely impressive and as a minority, I certainly wasn't offended by it. It's all algorithm-based; they're not personally changing faces based on stereotypes.
Yea pretty much this. I would have loved to try this out on myself and my friends. I'm a minority myself and I would never have been offended by something like this, afterall it's neural networks.

adamYUKI

Managed to get one before they pulled the filters. The Indian one is basically the default one. This is pretty good!

IgxYoxb.jpeg

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I was speaking more to the second half of his statement than his first. Will correct.

You still have to see in what context he was making that comment, though. Saying someone is a minority just because they aren't white is a very American thing to say, it pretty much ignores any other country that isn't predominantly white.

Also ignores that there was a caucasian filter, too.

sarcastor

Yea pretty much this. I would have loved to try this out on myself and my friends. I'm a minority myself and I would never have been offended by something like this, afterall it's neural networks.

Man this is tech that needs to be expanded on, not quashed.

Is removing it some sort of PR stunt to make it more popular?

I don't understand how they removed it after like 3 hours. Even if a bunch of people complained, isn't bad PR considered good PR? It's not like they can sue the company for being racist. God damn party poopers.

Here's a police sketch of a perp that looks alot like me. No, really, it's not me, officer.

fRBcEu2.jpg

aBarreras

Wait Mexico doesn't have any minorities within it entire nation? None at all?

i mean, im pretty sure they are, i have a friend, half japanize, but we dont care that much about that.

if any, mexicans are more racist towads mexicans that their skin is more tanned or darker, than people of other race

Harmen

I can't believe it need to be stated that minorities have various subsets that have different average features........

By no means do I intend to wave away the significant racial issues of stereotyping, but doesn't the different facial features argument apply to all races? And this app was set to be available wordlwide right? Minorities depend on the country. None of these look like cartoonish stereotypes to me (save for the obviously failed ones).

I am a bit torn on this.

WhatNXt

Unless the algorithm is making objectively racist stereotypical judgements I don't see how it can be racist. It's based on image based deep learning if I'm reading right? Meaning it just bases its image generation on the images it's managed to learn from?

I get the discomfort around the decision to add it -
you can perhaps argue the decisions that made it are unethical in some way - but I actually think it might be healthy for some people to visualise themselves in another way, in a way that perhaps they lack the imagination to achieve.

There's only one race as the venerable Edward James Olmos once said. It's a shame people have clamoured for censorship rather than reasoned debate.

I don't understand how they removed it after like 3 hours. Even if a bunch of people complained, isn't bad PR considered good PR? It's not like they can sue the company for being racist. God damn party poopers.

Here's a police sketch of a perp that looks alot like me. No, really, it's not me, officer.

fRBcEu2.jpg

Is that the young filter on the bottom right? It makes it older lol

people getting upset over this... smh. it's really a bad look to be that fucking sensitive over the fact that races tend to generally look at least slightly different. we're all people, who give a shit

sarcastor

Here's me as a cute ass baby, a little girl, a scary old asian lady and a black kid.

2E31kWU.jpg

Is that the young filter on the bottom right? It makes it older lol

no that's the caucasian filter. Apparently it makes you look older and gives you a business suit. cause white people wear suits....

Top Bottom