• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Telltale's Batman S2: The Enemy Within discussion (Spoilers!)

1501882077_screen_shot_2017-08-04_at_2.25.56_pm.jpg

So I know there's some discussion going on in the trailer thread, but I wanted to have a place where people could come in and discuss this season of Telltale's Batman, talk about their choices, and how they're enjoying it so far.

SPOILER WARNING: There will probably be some spoilers when discussing decisions and story events.

Starting off with episode 1, I've got to say that this is probably the best Season 2 opener of any season Telltale has continued so far. I really enjoyed it. A few things I really appreciated:

1) It assumes you played the first game and doesn't forget old things. One of the first things I noticed is that this season takes place pretty closely following the events of Season 1. Unlike TWD, which quickly dumps you into a new group of people in S2 to not alienate new players, Batman's story continues the character arcs set up in the first game. Your relationship with Gordon, whether positive or negative, is acknowledged. Alfred is suffering some trauma and seems a bit shaky from the assault on Wayne Manor and being kidnapped. Your actions in the first season are directly referenced and built upon by multiple characters.

2) Clear technical improvement. I played the whole episode from start to finish on PS4 Pro and didn't suffer any serious frame rate drops, animation weirdness, crashes or bugs. Save import worked great. It was clearly built using the newer version of the Telltale engine from TWD S3, with better animations, lighting and graphics/textures. It performed better than Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy has so far.

3) It was a meaty episode. At around 2 hours, it felt a good length where a lot of things happened and didn't feel rushed.

Feel free to talk about or post some of the decisions you made and the relationship status between you and the characters, which is one of the coolest things I think they've added to this season. I'll upload mine later tonight, though I think I sided with the majority on most decisions.

Personally
I'm still upset at accidentally causing Avesta to lose her hearing and hope she isn't sidelined for the rest of the series because of it.
Considering the alternative I really don't think it was worth it.

Also the ending tease for the season's villains was great. John remains my BFF, I want to see where that plot thread goes.

I was definitely surprised at the performance of this episode on PS4 Pro, to the point where it didn't hit me until after I finished it that there was very little "Telltale-ness" overall. I may have noticed a stutter or two but I can't really remember. Nothing like the glaring 30 fps to 60 fps jumps in season 1 episode 1.

My only unfortunate choice I made this episode in my mind was
that I was honest with Tiffany about why Lucius died and now she's very angry at Bruce and is threatening to figure out exactly what him and Lucius were involved in. I was hoping to make her part of the team, and maybe she still will be depending on future choices,
but I think it may be better that I told her now than bring her on and have her find out later when she really knows a lot about Batman.

Really enjoyed this episode and loved how it really felt like a continuation of season 1, it really acknowledged some things from s1 which is always nice, I also really enjoyed all the characters, returning and new. I expected to not really enjoy John, but I actually liked him more than in s1. Overall I would actually say this was better than any of the episodes from the first season.
I really hope the release schedule it close to s1's, but if they need some extra time to make it all run like this episode, then I can forgive them if they are a bit late.

Zetaero757

Neo Member
The only thing I really regret is the whole Tiffany thing. I was hoping it would loop around and Bruce would invite her to the mansion to reveal everything but yeah.... Also It seems like telltale finally figured out how to get their engine to not run like booty. Other than some load times it was a relatively smooth experience.

Billfisto

I played the first season pretty straight, but this season, I've decided I'm playing Bruce scenes as Archer and I'm going to be best pals with John.

Seriously, Bruce the character doesn't know anything about Joker, and John hasn't been anything but a bro. Why should my outside perspective sour their friendship?

Besides, given past events, It's clear Telltale isn't beholden to any existing continuity, so I could see it all being a swerve and John isn't behind it or evil at all. Everyone expects John to be orchestrating things to consolidate power, but what if he's just a good guy who got caught up in something because he's not used to being on the outside? It's strange they just let him walk from Arkham. Almost like someone's using him as a patsy/red herring.

God damn it, I'm going to make John my sidekick come hell or high water.

Also, totally didn't try and hide the fact that Batman is Bruce. Of course Waller was going to figure it out right away, that's what Waller does.

Zolo

Seriously, Bruce the character doesn't know anything about Joker, and John hasn't been anything but a bro. Why should my outside perspective sour their friendship?

Because he purposely almost got someone killed after cutting Zsas.

MAtgS

He manipulated Zasaz to attempt murdering an innocent inmate for the sake of a distraction. And thinks all the people getting hurt in a war between Twoface and Children of Arkham is funny.

Billfisto

He manipulated Zasaz to attempt murdering an innocent inmate for the sake of a distraction. And thinks all the people getting hurt in a war between Twoface and Children of Arkham is funny.

Oh, he's just troubled. I can guide him on a better path!

Hot take: What if this story is setup to allow John to become a potential Robin? :O

I'd replay both seasons just to make that happen.

Zolo

Hot take: What if this story is setup to allow John to become a potential Robin? :O

I'd replay both seasons just to make that happen.

Not going to happen, but this was advertised on their news.

Your relationship with John Doe (and eventually, the Joker) is something you’ll be shaping with the decisions you make throughout the season. As Batman and Bruce attempt to stop the immediate threat to Gotham, John will be watching your every move and learning from your choices. By the end of the story, you will have created your own version of Batman’s classic nemesis through your interactions.

No idea how well it'll actually be implemented though.

madmackem

I had three dashboard crashes and had to redo the first chapter as the achievement didn't pop, so normal service for a telltale title. On Xbox one.

Jinroh

I can't import my save, it's so goddamn frustrating. It's just a tinny file with binary choices, how can they mess it up.

Kurumi

I felt bad after Avesta lost her hearing. The look on her face when she realized she couldn't hear was sad. Definitely chose the Embrace Her option. The woman definitely needed it.

Zetaero757

Neo Member
Not going to happen, but this was advertised on their news.

No idea how well it'll actually be implemented though.

Going from that quote and what little of a preview we can see of episode 2 I'm assuming alot of the melding of Joker will happen in this next episode.

Sided with
Waller

I also like the idea of
having that kind of relationship with John Doe, it's going to be interesting how it'll play out in the future, I actually played batman as someone who is attentive to John Doe's request.

Sayers

Episode was surprisingly long. I kept thinking "ok, this is the cliffhanger" but it just kept going.

I may be in the minority but I don't particularly like the Joker in this. I'm kind of tired of him in general though.

Ran just fine for me, which was a first for Telltale. Playing on a launch PS4.

PeterGAF

Banned
I had three dashboard crashes and had to redo the first chapter as the achievement didn't pop, so normal service for a telltale title. On Xbox one.
Played on Xbox One and it was by far the smoothest experience I have ever had with a telltale game. And it seems like many other people are saying the same thing. Sucks that you had some problems but I think you're the outlier in this case. Hopefully the rest of the season continues to run well!

jediyoshi

My season episode 1 end results
http://i.imgur.com/xuczQmL.png

Pretty pleased they're willing to let characters die right off the bat. Considering how significant they are in the universe, them dying feels a lot more weighty compared to something like TWD where they could make up more characters as they need.

My predictions over how the entire season and relations with characters would play out shifted a ton through this episode. Probably some of the better juggling of expectations from a Telltale ep I can recall.

Rymuth

I'm impressed with how they're willing to off known characters. I love it, it makes the Batman mythos the freshest yet.

Stuart444

So just finished it (after buying it a few weeks back)

;_; I felt so bad when Lucius died, with Bruce speaking to him in his final moments. :(

Felt even worse when I told Tiff but I just couldn't lie to her... ;_:

According to my choices:

Gordon: Steadfastly loyal to us
Alfred: Vengeful after seeing the video (I'm now questioning why I let him watch it... ;_;)
Tiff: Furious
John: Ecstatic all because I agreed to meet his friends (My Bruce did so out of curiosity)
Waller: Strained
Iman: Traumatized ;_;

Told Gordon Lucius was an ally
Visited Mori and Took the Drive by force (no way would Bruce leave a paper trail aka a transfer to Mori)
Saved the Agents (and Iman technically but still, the deafness ;_; )

Very much looking forward to Ep 2 now

Also it ran great for me on PS4 Pro.

Top Bottom