• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PGR5 speculation thread Lucid dreams with Rare side effects?

m23

Why not?

It has Forza on it for branding, and from the looks of it using semi-sim physics to uphold the name doesn't do any ill either. Horizon is their baby and very different from Forza Motorsport, it's essentially like they have their own IP. From when Horizon was announced it was really made to sound that way by Dan too. We already know open-world racing games sell, see the NFS franchise.

I think the trifecta works, and 3 year cycles could work to allow all of these games to innovate and be the best they can be quality-wise, the issue is the long dev cycles may not be profitable, especially with current team sizes. I think they'll still stick with a 2 year cycle between the two Forzas and do a pity PGR a few years later as a one-off (I don't think MS sees long-term strength with the franchise, especially now that they have Forza), but I'd love the triple team.

Year 1 - PGR5 (Rare w/ Lucid & Playground assistance) - City circuit arcade racer
Year 2 - FM5 (T10 w/ Playground assistance) - Sim racer
Year 3 - FH2 (Playground Games w/ T10 assistance) - Open-world semi-sim racer
Year 4 - FM6 (T10 w/ Playground assistance)

etc.

I would like Playground to do something along the lines of Dirt and rally type racing. The Rally pack for Horizon was great, and I would like to see something built on top of that. I'm not really a fan of open world racers, although Horizon was great.

But I guess your idea definitely makes sense, I would just prefer something different from Playground.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I would like Playground to do something along the lines of Dirt and rally type racing. The Rally pack for Horizon was great, and I would like to see something built on top of that. I'm not really a fan of open world racers, although Horizon was great.

But I guess your idea definitely makes sense, I would just prefer something different from Playground.
Didn't Playground keep bragging about the number of different surfaces they have in their game?

I don't see even more drastically varied environments as being out of the picture, if not already in the cards and they used the Rally expansion/early concept work on FM4 as a basis. TBH I hope they choose a wider range of environments for the next game too, and move further away from basing it on real environments and create their own from the ground up.

amardilo

Maybe they could revive the Rallisport Challenge franchise.

m23

So a friend referred me to that list of third party devs working on ps4, and Lucid Games is on that list. Never knew that before. Does that mean they aren't working on pgr5?

But then again, Bizarre was also third party so I'm not even sure.

So a friend referred me to that list of third party devs working on ps4, and Lucid Games is on that list. Never knew that before. Does that mean they aren't working on pgr5?

But then again, Bizarre was also third party so I'm not even sure.

Lucid is not owned by Microsoft and they're free to develop for any console they want to. That doesn't mean they're not working on a game for Microsoft.

m23

Lucid is not owned by Microsoft and they're free to develop for any console they want to. That doesn't mean they're not working on a game for Microsoft.

Yeah I know that, but didn't think they were that large of a developer to be working on two next gen projects. I thought they were a smaller sized company.

TheOddOne

Yeah I know that, but didn't think they were that large of a developer to be working on two next gen projects. I thought they were a smaller sized company.
They have worked for Sony before on the PSVita app Travel Bug. They have ported games to Onlive, Sony could ask them to do it for their service. All small scale stuff.

It is one of the reasons I believe they will be doing more of the design side and Rare the techical aspect for PGR.

Just having PS4 devkits doesn't mean that they are actively working on a PS4 game. Perhaps they're just exploring the platform, especially if they plan on developing their own multiplatform tech one day. Being an independent developer, they stand a better chance of landing deals with third party publishers if they can develop for all platforms.

G17

I believe the list was not for developers who have devkits but developers who are actively working on games. Some of the biggest devs such as Crytek are not on the list.

Many devs were also removed from the original 50 to make the final list of 30.

abadguy

Banned

Well isn't the rumor that they are working along side Rare and maybe even Turn 10 for the game?

m23

I believe the list was not for developers who have devkits but developers who are actively working on games. Some of the biggest devs such as Crytek are not on the list.

Many devs were also removed from the original 50 to make the final list of 30.

Yeah, I was under the assumption that the list was for developers actually making games for the ps4. But who knows, they may just be working on smaller scale games like Oddone mentioned.

We need more leaks, April is too far.

Yeah, I was under the assumption that the list was for developers actually making games for the ps4. But who knows, they may just be working on smaller scale games like Oddone mentioned.

It's probably the list of companies that have applied to become licensed PS4 developers, not necessarily the list of developers who have access to the devkits. I don't know how Sony could have a way of knowing which of those would already be in full production of PS4 titles, and the list being revised not long after it was initially published is also suspect, but as you said, only time will tell.

Hindle

Banned
A cycle of Forza, Forza Horizon and PGR would be awesome IMO. I'd like Playground to make a new IP though, instead of a spinn off.

VG247 have an article. Kind of annoying really, TheOddone does the work the journalists should be doing.

Credit to VG247, X360A, they do mention TOO by name.

You can check out the entire thread here, courtesy of the NeoGAF community and collator TheOddOne.

http://www.vg247.com/2013/03/14/project-gotham-5-rumours-hot-up-suggest-rare-as-developer/

Over on NeoGAF, there's a thread from the community's TheOddOne

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/...otham-Racing-5-Rumours-Continue-to-Swirl.html

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Hopefully TheOddOne's great investigative work leads to some insiders coming forward and clarifying and/or leaking details.

amardilo

I would love it, but that will not make sense. Rally games are important to Europe only (there is not enough interest in US) and even so the peak of Rally games are all over years ago.

Maybe they could revive it and as well as having a normal Dirt style rally game they add a more crazy rally mode similar to the Group B rally stuff from the 80's (but they could use modern cars) with narrow roads, spectators on the track and lots of crazy turns and jumps.

Shaneus

This may be something, this may not be something. But I think it may be further confirmation that good is happening at Lucid if the guy who was Lead Designer on Wipeout HD, Pure and Pulse is "busy":
QvyOzHy.png

(was also assigned to "Racing Project" at Bizarre prior to closure, so could well have had a hand in whatever was behind that footage of the Audi driving on the side of a building)

FWIW I didn't go seeking this out deliberately, I was just doing some random Twitter meandering and found it. Seemed like it might be at least a little useful for this thread!

saladine1

Ha ha, you thought I bumped because I found something...

But seriously, now that the ability to play offline is 'confirmed', i'm back in business.

I'm back baby!

Bring on PGR and Forza!

Now, when the fuck are we going to find out something concrete regarding PGR?
C'mon detective Shaneus and TheOddOne gimeee something...

Reiko

Banned
Ha ha, you thought I bumped because I found something...

But seriously, now that the ability to play offline is 'confirmed', i'm back in business.

I'm back baby!

Bring on PGR and Forza!

Now, when the fuck are we going to find out something concrete regarding PGR?
C'mon detective Shaneus and TheOddOne gimeee something...

You bastard! lol

I'm glad that I can play future games whenever I want too.

Wait what? It's confirmed that it's not always online?

I need to drop into the main areas once every so often.

Microsoft leaked damage control info to some blogs yesterday. Apparently you need an internet connection for the media services and set-top box stuff (duh), but games can be played offline and used games are also playable.

Shaneus

Yeah, I was just reading up in that thread now. Sounds pretty promising, especially considering it means we'll have Geometry Wars 2 for ever and ever :D

Top Bottom