• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PGR5 speculation thread Lucid dreams with Rare side effects?

saladine1

I'm guessing the recent reports of a new Forza are insiders misunderstanding info. Everything points to Rare making a new racing game, likely a new PGR.

Or all these "insiders" could be feeding us bullshit.

There's some kind of misunderstanding for sure.
Most likely scenario, a PGR game with Forza in it's title...

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Considering Sumo Digital background, would it be more like the rumoured waterbased racer?
I think the water based racer came from an unreliable source. I can't even remember the origin, unless its just from the pretty water tweet.

Cases right now:
PGR5 made in part by T10
PGR5 made by Rare + Lucid + Playground
Forza City Racer made in part by T10
PGR5 and Forza 5 both for launch

From GAF insiders we got a pretty explicit idea that its PGR and not just a Forza branded city racer, so I don't think Forza: Metropolis is likely. Again, there's no way with Rare hiring this much talent with traditional racing games background in common that they're not making a racing game. Rumours be damned!

Anyways, going to go back to meditating and praying for a PGR5.

Would having Forza in the title in any way, help the game?

I'm a fan of Forza, but hasn't Horizon sold less than 1.5 million copies? I would imagine they would have hoped for higher sales than that? Forza is a flagship title after all.

p3tran

Banned
Would having Forza in the title in any way, help the game?

I'm a fan of Forza, but hasn't Horizon sold less than 1.5 million copies? I would imagine they would have hoped for higher sales than that? Forza is a flagship title after all.

in my opinion, forza motorsport does not gain, but loses when other spinoffs carry the forza name.

horizon might be a terrific arcade racer, much better than lets say nfsmw (which came out at the same time)
but does not offer the precision that forza motorsport does. therefore does not offer the depth.

saladine1

Hmmm...why is Turn 10 in need of/hiring a new video editor now?
Hmmmm.....Forza 5 launch rumor might be true...?

Turn 10 Studios, the creators of the top selling and critically acclaimed Forza Motorsport franchise is seeking an experienced & passionate Video Editor with a practical background in automotive cinematography. The ideal candidate brings a wealth of editing experience & knowledge, and can execute against a vast array of editorial styles through the use of dynamic visual content, audio elements, voice and text. A strong technical knowledge-base is required, along with a keen understanding of narrative, pacing and storytelling. This position calls for someone who is capable of executing at a high level alone and is also comfortable working in a collaborative team environment. A general understanding and/or experience in cinematography (including shot composition, lighting and camera movements) is critical to this role.

Demo reel for E3 confirmed!

eso76

They should just ask the guys at BBC.
They're just the best...in the world.

By the way, i might apply, i am a video maker / editor and i have experience with automotive cinematography.
Plus working with 'virtual' cameras and sets would make things so much easier..

But really, given their partnership with Top Gear, they should just go for that style and have Top Gear editors work their magic.

in my opinion, forza motorsport does not gain, but loses when other spinoffs carry the forza name.

horizon might be a terrific arcade racer, much better than lets say nfsmw (which came out at the same time)
but does not offer the precision that forza motorsport does. therefore does not offer the depth.

Depth is a big difference between the two. I got Horizon for $15 from the MS black friday sale and I thoroughly enjoyed the game beginning to end. However, there's nowhere near as much content as Forza Motorsport 4 so I may have felt a bit gipped had I payed the same price as I did for FM4.

saladine1

“We got invited to go into Lucid and Apposing’s office through twitter and they showed us their offices and what they do daily. They make Games/apps for companies like they made the app for CSL sofas!

Both offices were REALLY full of computers and IPhones / IPads/IPods and it was a great influence.

I’m only 9 years old, and it was a great experience at such a young age, and I’m starting to think that I want to do the same when I’m older!

I met a man called Dave who showed me around his office (he was from apposing). And a man called Nick who showed me around his office too (he was from lucid).

The offices were very spaced out and sociable, there were many desks spread out across the room.

In the lucid office, there were nerf guns all over the tables!!! (**LOL**)

When we went to Lucid they were in progress of making a game, but its top secret so I can’t tell you the name, and they showed us a little preview of it. They also made a mountain bike game and working on a racing car game.

Via a 9 year old visitor to Lucid's studios....lol

OK, this is weird. I don't know what the significance is or what meaning there is behind it but there's something about Nerf Guns that tie Turn 10 and Lucid together because a guy that works at Turn 10 mentioned the exact same thing happening at Turn 10's studios. Nerf Guns....WTF??!...

Xanadu

Banned
They should just ask the guys at BBC.
They're just the best...in the world.

By the way, i might apply, i am a video maker / editor and i have experience with automotive cinematography.
Plus working with 'virtual' cameras and sets would make things so much easier..

But really, given their partnership with Top Gear, they should just go for that style and have Top Gear editors work their magic.

as long as they dont use the blue filters

Shaneus

Considering Sumo Digital background, would it be more like the rumoured waterbased racer?
The only Sumo background I've seen is that a very small number of people (compared to Rare/Lucid staff) have migrated from Sumo.

Cases right now:
PGR5 made in part by T10
PGR5 made by Rare + Lucid + Playground
Forza City Racer made in part by T10
PGR5 and Forza 5 both for launch

From GAF insiders we got a pretty explicit idea that its PGR and not just a Forza branded city racer, so I don't think Forza: Metropolis is likely. Again, there's no way with Rare hiring this much talent with traditional racing games background in common that they're not making a racing game. Rumours be damned!

Anyways, going to go back to meditating and praying for a PGR5.
I honestly don't think Playground will have much (if anything) to do with it. My (fairly solid, I'd think) bet would be that it's Rare and Lucid teaming up to do PGR5, with Lucid being the equivalent of Turn 10 for Forza Horizon more or less (ie. providing a similar percentage of influence, except rather than sharing base engines, Lucid will provide their share in game design, modelling, texture work, that sort of thing) and Rare would do most of the "grunt" (ie. less "creative") work.

The thing that seals it the most for me is Eamon Urtone's move from Sumo to Rare. There's no way he'd shift to an MS-owned company to work on anything that Rare are typically known for... look at his MO:
PGR4
Blur
Blood Stone (the intro of which I'm REALLY impressed with)
FM4 Sonic Transformed

OK, this is weird. I don't know what the significance is or what meaning there is behind it but there's something about Nerf Guns that tie Turn 10 and Lucid together because a guy that works at Turn 10 mentioned the exact same thing happening at Turn 10's studios. Nerf Guns....WTF??!...
There have been photos and tweets from the Lucid guys about Nerf gun fights in their office. I'm pretty sure it'd be a not-uncommon thing in "cool" workplaces where their employees are encouraged to let their hair down.

Hmmm...why is Turn 10 in need of/hiring a new video editor now?
Hmmmm.....Forza 5 launch rumor might be true...?

Demo reel for E3 confirmed!
Could well be a hint that whatever Lucid/Rare are working on are distinctly different from whatever Turn 10 are working on. If T10 needed someone to do all that stuff and they were working with Rare on whatever, they'd already have Urtone.

I'm guessing the Rare/Lucid thing could well be something that's based more heavily of a (vastly improved, obviously) PGR4 engine than what FM4 and Horizon use. Maybe share car models, but other than that... Rare + Lucid would surely have enough manpower to knock out a custom engine for the Nextbox *and* a new, distinctly different game from what's been under the Forza banner.

I could see Microsoft dropping both PGR 5 and Forza 5 trailers their conferences year and have PGR 5 as the traditional launch game while Forza 5 is "Coming 2014". Just to make sure they have the attention of everyone in the racing game audience. Hence why insiders are talking about Forza 5 (Which is kind of obvious. Have you seen Dan Greenwalt's beard lately?) while we also have strong indications of PGR 5 from Lucid and Rare.

Actually, I wouldn't mind if the Durango became the racing game platform like the original X-Box did (New Quantum Redshift por favor).

Reiko

Banned
I could see Microsoft dropping both PGR 5 and Forza 5 trailers their conferences year and have PGR 5 as the traditional launch game while Forza 5 is "Coming 2014". Just to make sure they have the attention of everyone in the racing game audience. Hence why insiders are talking about Forza 5 (Which is kind of obvious. Have you seen Dan Greenwalt's beard lately?) while we also have strong indications of PGR 5 from Lucid and Rare.

Actually, I wouldn't mind if the Durango became the racing game platform like the original X-Box did (New Quantum Redshift por favor).

Then someone from DICE shoulder taps Dan and announces Rallisport Challenge 3 exclusively on Durango.

Shaneus

Other than every other Xbox has had a PGR game at launch. And that Lucid's website says it's coming "2013". Given people are pegging (I think?) a possible September/October launch, it'd mean that the release of it would have to come within those few months.

I'm sticking with (hopeful) launch title.

uvzZ5uY.png

saladine1

Didn't BADNED suggest or hint at 'another 5'?
I mean, he didn't really elaborate on it and could've just been his own personal preference.
Or it could mean this and could mean that. Forza launch PGR launch. Lucid, Playground Games, RARE, always online, not always online, Adam Orth, Deal With It, Nerf guns, Greenawalt's beard......i'm going crazy over here...

Fuck it, PGR 5 or Forza 5 launch I don't care anymore...just give me a racing game and i'll be ecstatic.

eso76

Coming 2013 could just mean more likely a reveal.

If the next Forza for launch rumor is right, then I see PGR5 as a second wave title.

They might announce Forza 5 and then delay it to spring 2014 :p
Regardless, xbox720 announcement *needs* Forza 5 footage.

Or they could just launch with both titles. Different targets anyway.
We shouldn't forget T10 said 2013 would be huge for Forza fans, that can only mean one thing right ?

Didn't BADNED suggest or hint at 'another 5'?

He said he was personally looking forward to 'another 5', not much else.

saladine1

They might announce Forza 5 and then delay it to spring 2014 :p
Regardless, xbox720 announcement *needs* Forza 5 footage.

Or they could just launch with both titles. Different targets anyway.
We shouldn't forget T10 said 2013 would be huge for Forza fans, that can only mean one thing right ?

When did they say that?

Shaneus

I'm electing to stick with the solid base of evidence here than a single rumour, I think. Or maybe I just want to... but there's been very little news from T10 on anything at all really... and I'd have thought we'd hear something from someone near enough to the studio by now.

Or maybe we're just not looking in that direction hard enough, I dunno.

derFeef

Turn 10 will get all the credit, no matter what game we may get. Same happened with Horizon - Playground barely get's mentioned.

While I'd love to get hyped for this, I just can't without knowing that my G27 will be supported. This is such a huge downer.

That would be neat for sure.

p3tran

Banned
Maybe it's time we shifted our focus and detective skills away from Lucid and RARE and point it towards Turn 10..

now where is the t10 community manager when you need him? :)

forza motorsport 5 on launch makes next xbox a definite day1 buy

all other racing franchises, we will see. its not like you know exactly what to expect from a new pgr given all the changes that have happened..
any racing game on launch will look good. the question is how well will it play.

Izick

So possibly Forza 5 vs. GT 6 this holiday? I hope the rumors of GT 6 being on PS3 are false, because it would be awesome to see two true next-gen racers right out of the gate, although it doesn't make sense with Driveclub there as well.

So possibly Forza 5 vs. GT 6 this holiday? I hope the rumors of GT 6 being on PS3 are false, because it would be awesome to see two true next-gen racers right out of the gate, although it doesn't make sense with Driveclub there as well.

What if both GT6 and Forza5 are on current gen consoles?

Shaneus

They're just saying 2013 is going to be amazing. Didn't say why. Could've been for this.

While I'd love to get hyped for this, I just can't without knowing that my G27 will be supported. This is such a huge downer.
Honestly, the PGR games I never found controlled *that* well with a wheel compared to a controller... at least, it wasn't night-and-day like FM4 or [insert PC sim here]. I agree it'd be great, but we don't know exactly what will and won't be supported. Hell, I'm half expecting the 360 Fanatec wheels to be useless on the Nextbox.

Wow, game-changer.

Between this, the latest Forza 5 launch rumor, last year's Forza 5 launch rumor, Turn 10's hiring of video editors, the length of Greenawalt's beard..it;s starting to look like Forza 5 launch.
Maybe it's time we shifted our focus and detective skills away from Lucid and RARE and point it towards Turn 10..
You don't know what to think... just pick a horse and stick with it!

It'll be PGR. But I bet that despite your constant flip-flopping, you'll be saying "I totally knew it was PGR all along!", coupled with a collection of edited posts that would make Amir0x jealous.

p3tran

Banned

I wouldnt classify drive club in the same category as gran turismo. evolution is not yamauchi.
hopefully it will be a good online arcade racer with nice enough handling.

p.s. yeah, forza 5 on 360, sounds like the worst idea possible :)

Izick

I wouldnt classify drive club in the same category as gran turismo. evolution is not yamauchi.
hopefully it will be a good online arcade racer with nice enough handling.

p.s. yeah, forza 5 on 360, sounds like the worst idea possible :)

I'm not saying it's the exact same type of game, but I'm not sure if Sony would put out two racing games so close to one another from a business standpoint.

Like roads that don't reflect like glass?

I would totally drive on giant glass roads in a game.

Shaneus

If Lucid and/or Rare are working on some kind of PGR game, it would be suicide to release it within 18 months of a next-gen FM5. We all know it's a numbers game, and PGR never had the number of cars Forza had... so ~500 cars will outdo ~150 (or less), especially when the general public isn't familiar enough with the PGR franchise to be able to tell the difference.

I would totally drive on giant glass roads in a game.
arrlw8.gif

Izick

If Lucid and/or Rare are working on some kind of PGR game, it would be suicide to release it within 18 months of a next-gen FM5. We all know it's a numbers game, and PGR never had the number of cars Forza had... so ~500 cars will outdo ~150 (or less), especially when the general public isn't familiar enough with the PGR franchise to be able to tell the difference.

I agree except about the release window. I could see PGR be a launch title and then Forza launch holiday of next year. I mean after a year you're not going to see major sales from it, so I really don't think it'll be cannibalizing any possible PGR sales at that point. A year could be fine.

Yep. Yep! YEP!

Honestly, the PGR games I never found controlled *that* well with a wheel compared to a controller... at least, it wasn't night-and-day like FM4 or [insert PC sim here]. I agree it'd be great, but we don't know exactly what will and won't be supported. Hell, I'm half expecting the 360 Fanatec wheels to be useless on the Nextbox.

I was mostly speaking about Forza, since it was thrown around here and there. And even though it's just a rumor, but it seems like the previous Xbox 360 controller won't be compatible with the new Xbox, due to the new wireless protocol.

RayStorm

Unless they actually share their assets this time. I don't see why two driving games should not use the same 3d models of cars. And once you do that, Why wouldn't you just include most of them in both games? After all the difference is in the handling/driving model of the cars, the game play and the environments you drive in.

saladine1

They're just saying 2013 is going to be amazing. Didn't say why. Could've been for this.

You don't know what to think... just pick a horse and stick with it!

It'll be PGR. But I bet that despite your constant flip-flopping, you'll be saying "I totally knew it was PGR all along!", coupled with a collection of edited posts that would make Amir0x jealous.

Somehow, I don't think so.

The problem with PGR 5 being made by someone other than Bizarre is that it's being made by someone other than Bizarre. I can understand the hype if the original team was making it but at this stage, Lucid and Rare making it (even with their background), doesn't guarantee a great game.
On the other hand, Turn 10 is Turn 10. Greenawalt is Greenawalt and Wiswell is Wiswell. I know we will see an amazing game and can at least count on their great track record..It's easier this way..lol

I don't know though, 3 racing games from basically one developer?
That is a lot of work and one has to wonder why MS are doing this anyway. Don't get me wrong, I would love nothing more than to have racing games shoved down my throat, but you would think that realistically, two games ( a sim track racer FM, and a simcade open worlder FH) from the same publisher would be enough for anyone..

Somehow, I don't think so.

The problem with PGR 5 being made by someone other than Bizarre is that it's being made by someone other than Bizarre. I can understand the hype if the original team was making it but at this stage, Lucid and Rare making it (even with their background), doesn't guarantee a great game.
On the other hand, Turn 10 is Turn 10. Greenawalt is Greenawalt and Wiswell is Wiswell. I know we will see an amazing game and can at least count on their great track record..It's easier this way..lol

That is a lot of work and one has to wonder why MS are doing this anyway. Don't get me wrong, I would love nothing more than to have racing games shoved down my throat, but you would think that realistically, two games ( a sim track racer FM, and a simcade open worlder FH) from the same publisher would be enough for anyone..

Well, the only lead really missing from the PGR team that's not at Lucid, Rare and Playground is Gareth Wilson, who's over at Sumo Digital. So the majority of staff is there. And PGR 4 was a good apex, though it missed some of the flash and flair of PGR's past as it was a bit more of a technical showpiece and had a bit more reliance on percision driving than wild drifts due to the addition of weather and a lot more technical circuits and cities like Maccau and St. Petersburg. So adding Rare to the mix also has a fresh perspective on the series that could bring something new in, and with how meticulous and flashy Rare get with graphics, they can really bring out the Rare flair in this. And then you have their experience with Blur and how Bizarre really ratcheted up the speed and chaos in that.

If they bring PGR back to a wilder direction that was like PGR 2, for example where you racked up huge combo bonuses, cities were balanced between wild and open streets like Chicago and Yokahama while also having technical cities like Edinburgh and Hong Kong and the objective was to win and win in style. That could be a way to also swing it to a new direction of being a super flashy, technically impressive arcade game while also taking the lessons of Blur in and maybe having some wider, more multi-route cities and a lot of cars on track (Hardcore Racing was fun as hell in Blur if you got a full room going). There could be something special and really awesome in a new PGR that justifies itself and can be a great companion piece to Horizon alongside existing alongside Forza 5 as a hardcore sim. PGR 5 could really stand out, and I hope it does because PGR is the reason I bought a 360 (3 was disappointing, but 4 was heavenly even if the focus changed a bit) and a great PGR 5 could be the push I need to plump for a durango.

Shaneus

Unless they actually share their assets this time. I don't see why two driving games should not use the same 3d models of cars. And once you do that, Why wouldn't you just include most of them in both games? After all the difference is in the handling/driving model of the cars, the game play and the environments you drive in.
That may be the case, but what makes you think that if they share models they'll have the same number of cars? Horizon has far fewer than FM4 and we *know* they use the same models. I honestly don't see any new PGR game having more than 150-200 cars, it just doesn't suit the game. PGR is as much about the environments as it is about the cars, and I'm confident that Lucid will have more of a hand in that given that most of the key environment people from Bizarre seem to be working at Lucid.

But T10 have only ever made "simulation" games... they've never had the style or aesthetic that Gotham/MSR had which is part of what made them so great (to me, anyway), all their stuff just seems so clinical and boring (even though it's pretty obvious they've taken certain cues from PGR). They'd be more likely to put in something PGR-like (such as Kudos) but almost only as a bullet-point and just half-bake it. Almost every new feature T10 adds to a game is "Yeah, this is fantastic. But...".
PGR also has a great track record for implementing clever multiplayer. Forza was always a step behind in this regard, and although nothing's hit the height that PGR2 did, they've always been playing catchup.

Guarantee you, that if T10 did a PGR game, it would be missing something: soul.

saladine1

That may be the case, but what makes you think that if they share models they'll have the same number of cars? Horizon has far fewer than FM4 and we *know* they use the same models. I honestly don't see any new PGR game having more than 150-200 cars, it just doesn't suit the game. PGR is as much about the environments as it is about the cars, and I'm confident that Lucid will have more of a hand in that given that most of the key environment people from Bizarre seem to be working at Lucid.

But T10 have only ever made "simulation" games... they've never had the style or aesthetic that Gotham/MSR had which is part of what made them so great (to me, anyway), all their stuff just seems so clinical and boring (even though it's pretty obvious they've taken certain cues from PGR). They'd be more likely to put in something PGR-like (such as Kudos) but almost only as a bullet-point and just half-bake it. Almost every new feature T10 adds to a game is "Yeah, this is fantastic. But...".
PGR also has a great track record for implementing clever multiplayer. Forza was always a step behind in this regard, and although nothing's hit the height that PGR2 did, they've always been playing catchup.

Guarantee you, that if T10 did a PGR game, it would be missing something: soul.

Oh, I agree completely. I wouldn't want Turn 10 to make a PGR game either. I wasn't suggesting that at all.
I was trying to say that Turn 10 has made great games so I can feel safe in knowing that Forza 5 will also be great.
Anyone other than Bizarre making a PGR game on the other hand doesn't fill me with the same confidence.
PGR by Lucid/Rare could be a great game, perhaps an amazing game, but at this stage the team is relatively new and managed under different circumstances to when Bizarre were at the helm.

On another note, let me ask, if you were pitching FM,FH and PGR, how would you describe them?

RayStorm

I guess I was just stating that there is no technical/monetary reason why a potential PGR5/Horizon 2 should have less cars than a FM5.

In some ways my vision for the three games, if they were united under the Forza banner would be to have Horizon focus on open world/country side, PGR obviously on driving style and real world cities and Motorsport on simulated racing on real race tracks. Each with their according driving model (arcade/simulation). That being said, it would be so awesome to actually mix and match tracks, driving models, game play style, cars and perhaps even tuning/upgrades between the games. Basically if you purchase all 3 games to have one big game where you can choose how to precisely play/drive it. Whereas if you only bought one of them you just get that as a finished game.

And to finally get new tracks and not just cars/challenges as DLC. Perhaps even have bigger updates released every other year instead of new installments of the game, similar to how Starcraft 2 is being done.

amardilo

When you put it like that it does sound like a lot but thinking about it I really like several types of racing games from different developers/publishers (i.e. Forza, Forza Horizon, Project Gotham Racing, Burnout, any Need For Speed from Criterion, DiRT and Gran Turismo) and I always like having a new one to play so the more racing games the better for me.

Top Bottom