• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PGR5 speculation thread Lucid dreams with Rare side effects?

pswii60

Guarantee you, that if T10 did a PGR game, it would be missing something: soul.

Yep. Forza has always felt a little too 'Microsoft Racing Simulator' to me. It's definitely been improving though as the series as progressed.

But, I like my games to have 'soul' too :)

Shaneus

Yep. Forza has always felt a little too 'Microsoft Racing Simulator' to me. It's definitely been improving though as the series as progressed.

But, I like my games to have 'soul' too :)
I agree. You either have to go one way or the other, though... look at something such as Wipeout. Different style of game (obviously), very clinical and I wouldn't say it has a soul, but it sticks to a very specific, identifiable theme that's unique. The problem with FM and even GT (each to different extents) is that they both have fairly interchangeable components that would never look out of place in each other's games. That can be said for almost all semi-serious driving games to the hardcore sims.

What PGR always seemed to pull off well, from the *very* beginning in MSR, was that it had a very distinct, clean style that made you feel like you were someone who owned these cars that you were about to take for a hoon around in (almost like a Sultan or something, in that you'd never really *want* to tinker with them, just take them for a spin around whatever road you could find without tinkering with what made them unique). It's aesthetic always just made driving seem cool and kinda suave but not in a tryhard Top Gear-"powah" way... more with a James Bond vibe, I guess (if that makes sense). Or maybe like a Hollywood superstar who has a shitload of cars, but less Jay Leno, more Patrick Dempsey.

Gah, I'm gushing again. I just miss the style of that game :(

derFeef

I think Horizon hit the sweetspot pretty well. While PGR always had more of a racer feel of course, it still felt "cool" and unique - it had character. I would give anything to relive my first PGR4 race again - the best PGR :p

Shaneus

Yeah, Horizon did alright, but I guess their setting kind of overdid it a little bit in that they had to bro it up to suit the theme.

The ideal setting would be for something like, say a Gumball Rally-type thing that kicks off with some kind of a car "festival" (with a few bands or whatever, but obviously a core focus on a number of different kinds of races... say, at a race track where different events can occur on inner and outer circuits) that lasts a few days. Move onto another some distance away (as per the Gumball) where you stay for a day or two and do another series of races around a particular track (say, a TT or two, drift comp, drag race). Repeat for another five or six (or more) locations before crowning a winner at the end. Could be easily implemented online, it would retain the festival atmosphere yet still be able to forgo that whole douchey dance music festival thing.

saladine1

Edited becuase of shaneus getting upset

Here's something to cheer him up

zJzmzOs.jpg

Ironically, FM1 had the most fun and inviting vibe to it and it got progressively more clinical after that. FM4 brought it back a little though.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I want PGR5 to have lots of bokeh and colour. Gimme.

The lack of soul has a lot to do with the environments I think. Forza and T10 are really focused around realism and striving for the most realistic shaders, etc. While I don't think that PGR will be super stylized next gen, and will certainly move things into being more realistic too, there's a certain dash of flavor the aesthetics had that give it that feeling of soul. The colour saturation was always a tinge up from competitors and sims, and they were never really afraid to use bright colours either. It just made the arcadiness look that much more fun and inviting.

The environments in particular had this sort of beauty and art to them, and though understandably a sim racer doesn't care for environments much when they've got to put resources elsewhere first and foremost, even when you look at the NYC tracks it just feels drab. They remedied a bit of this with 4 but doing cities is a whole other deal. Having the right environmental artists who can convey the right vision is key for PGR5.

God, even just thinking about how they'll change PGR5 to keep it fresh makes me consider so many possibilities. Will they remove guard rails and the international professional racing aspect to make it take a more street-level competition? Will they continue the international series kind of favour? Will they take the franchise to drastic new places like fantasy worlds a-la PGR4's trailer and the Rare concept art? Will they make it an open world experience in London/elsewhere as possibly the biggest modeled individual city in a racing game? Will they focus on a few, big cities or several, relatively more limited ones?

There are so many possibilities, but they don't have to be limited to locations or that framework, it could be in gameplay too, but they're going to need a way to justify this alongside next gen to gamers like PGR3 did with GothamTV, track maker and all that, and I don't think anything is off the table considering the state of the franchise.

Shaneus

Edited becuase of shaneus getting upset

Here's something to cheer him up

zJzmzOs.jpg
You're a good man, Charlie Brown. I was only taking the piss though, this thread can be for anything remotely related, I guess.

There's movement at the station...
I47aXgy.png

Their employee numbers have gone up as well:
QYEkYiH.png

gvXdacz.png

(It was bouncing between 35 and 36 only a week or so ago, but that might've been a weird cookie thing)

Best I can tell (without paying for LinkedIn, damnit) is that the new people may be adminny-type folk. Based in the US, which is odd. So it's probably nothing (and certainly isn't as major as any of the other hirings) but they've had the same number of employees for a while so at this point I'm jumping at anything that twitches even a little bit.

If I was working for Lucid, I think I would be creeped out by now. :lol

e: I didn't want to come over as offensive. Seriously, good work, Shaneus.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I agree. You either have to go one way or the other, though... look at something such as Wipeout. Different style of game (obviously), very clinical and I wouldn't say it has a soul, but it sticks to a very specific, identifiable theme that's unique. The problem with FM and even GT (each to different extents) is that they both have fairly interchangeable components that would never look out of place in each other's games. That can be said for almost all semi-serious driving games to the hardcore sims.

Kind of very aside, but I would say that WipeOut actually lost its soul as the series progressed.

Shaneus

Kind of very aside, but I would say that WipeOut actually lost its soul as the series progressed.
Agreed, but I still think there's something in it's clinical look that gives it personality. FM has none, really. Well, more than GT but that's not saying much.
I think 2048 maybe goes a little bit of the way of coming the other direction, but

If I was working for Lucid, I think I would be creeped out by now. :lol

e: I didn't want to come over as offensive. Seriously, good work, Shaneus.
Haha, it's all good... not offensive at all. I'm used to it by now... after all, I was the first guy that Lucid singled out for being in full-creep mode :D
Um... do you think they're talking about me?
28Xqo.png

I know who works there, I just want to know what they're doing!

Also known as personality or character.
Pretty much. The thing that struck me as odd about PGR is that there was never a specific avatar as such (you choose your racer at the start, but that's almost literally the last you see of them), at least not as much as GT5 or any of the other racing games that have progression... yet it's very much a distinct game that (to me, at least) has a defining look and feel to it. You know there'll be slick menus (PGR3 and 4 stepped it up massively in this regard... and nothing's come close to matching it since IMO), great videos and a good selection of music. Little details are never overlooked either, so you'll hear squeaky windscreen wipers, aquaplane across puddles (in)conveniently placed around corners and crack rear-vision mirrors when tussling with opponents.

Oh, and that Kudos "click".

what is soul? you mean fun?

We're going all Clarkson Island in here

Forza 4 is Sheer driving Enjoyment...And I hate every single second of it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMuO-8S_0Wg

Pretty much. The thing that struck me as odd about PGR is that there was never a specific avatar as such (you choose your racer at the start, but that's almost literally the last you see of them), at least not as much as GT5 or any of the other racing games that have progression... yet it's very much a distinct game that (to me, at least) has a defining look and feel to it. You know there'll be slick menus (PGR3 and 4 stepped it up massively in this regard... and nothing's come close to matching it since IMO), great videos and a good selection of music. Little details are never overlooked either, so you'll hear squeaky windscreen wipers, aquaplane across puddles (in)conveniently placed around corners and crack rear-vision mirrors when tussling with opponents.

Oh, and that Kudos "click".

I loved the "PGR Nations" aspect being conveyed in the crowd and the crowd shrinking and wearing different outfits depending on the weather. It made it feel like a hi-octane racing event and you were representing your nation as the better you were doing, the more of your countries flag showed up. I'd love if they expanded it in PGR 5 to have bloc's of the crowd turn to more of your nation's colours like travelling football fans and when you roll by those guys during a race, they get loud and you hear airhorns.

Now I'm fired up to play some PGR. Thanks thread!

TwiztidElf

Just went through that Xbox timeline, and damn, things really went to shit from 2010 onwards.
No mention of either PGR3 or 4.

Shaneus

Hay guys.

L2nG9LK.png

dmhcpZ2.png

Not sure if this is new or not, but it's interesting that they're getting in people who didn't wind up at Lucid after the dust had settled. Leaves it open that we *could* see Stephen Cakebread there maybe, I guess.

And I'd say this almost confirms that they're working on something for the Nextbox:
GYlKvqi.png

TJP

I'm also hopeful for a Lucid made PGR game as a launch title despite MS having PGR related alzheimer's in their gaming timeline. MS need something to counter the PS4's DriveClub.

Anything from Lucid on console or PC would be great.

saladine1

Hay guys.

L2nG9LK.png

dmhcpZ2.png

Not sure if this is new or not, but it's interesting that they're getting in people who didn't wind up at Lucid after the dust had settled. Leaves it open that we *could* see Stephen Cakebread there maybe, I guess.

And I'd say this almost confirms that they're working on something for the Nextbox:
GYlKvqi.png

Aren't these guys from Israel in charge of MS R&D for Kinect/motion technology?

PGR5: Kinect Edition confirmed!

Shaneus

Anything from Lucid on console or PC would be great.
I wouldn't go that far... remember, they made Travel Bug for Vita. It's not a bad little bit of software, but it isn't a driving game!

Aren't these guys from Israel in charge of MS R&D for Kinect/motion technology?

PGR5: Kinect Edition confirmed!
It's a single dude, I'm pretty sure "freelancer" means it's just him. At least, his real name didn't look at all familiar.
Edit: Actually, you're not far off I don't think. He was previously employed at N-Trig as a software engineer. Have a look at their bio:
N-trig operates within the pen and touch-enabled ecosystem, offering DuoSense® - a complete solution in a single-digitizer for mobile computing devices, and a variety of chipset solutions that combine active pen and multi-touch functionality to meet the ever-increasing demand for productivity on the move.
So perhaps he's doing some coding for Smartglass/Surface integration? Or could quite possibly be Kinect 2.0 (head tracking, movement/gesture recognition or even just API expertise) given all that stuff would be fairly similar, I'd imagine.

Edit: This was his bio from N-Trig as written on LinkedIn, worked there until Jan this year. Started working for Lucid in Feb.
Windows Kernel WDM / UMDF / KMDF for USB/ I2C/ HID Drivers.
WHQL and Logo driver signing of the Company drivers
Real Time programming In C and Assembler for ARC Processors.
Firmware BootLoader. and windows dfu/dfl loader code over USB
Embedded USB stack programming for Synopsys core.

And what he's written as his bio:
Software Engineer with vaste experience in software development and hands on programming; with specific expertise in Windows Internals and Windows Kernel Device Driver as well as Embedded and Real Time Software.

Arkam

All the people with car game backgrounds at Rare can mean only one thing.... A spiritual successor to Diddy Kong Racer!

I am calling it now a Banjo Kart racer from Rare!

Though I do hope to god someone is out there making a QUALITY PGR sequel. As much as I love Forza (and i LOVE Forza) it doesnt entirely fill that driving urge the same way PGR did.

All the people with car game backgrounds at Rare can mean only one thing.... A spiritual successor to Diddy Kong Racer!

I am calling it now a Banjo Kart racer from Rare!

Though I do hope to god someone is out there making a QUALITY PGR sequel. As much as I love Forza (and i LOVE Forza) it doesnt entirely fill that driving urge the same way PGR did.

Damn it! This is what I REALLY want.

Izick

I just hope that the racing launch game is more Forza: Horizon than Forza. That's probably unfathomable to some, but Horizon was just the most fun I've had with a racing games in years.

VVV Mars VG

Arcade racers have become a rarity and it's upsetting how quickly and unexpectedly it happened on consoles.

The only rarity is full simulation on consoles, everything else is based on degrees of 'arcade' (I say the word in the loosest sense) style handling that attempt to attract a wider audience.

Shaneus

The only rarity is full simulation on consoles, everything else is based on degrees of 'arcade' (I say the word in the loosest sense) style handling that attempt to attract a wider audience.
This is true, but there's a pseudo-"sim" filter to everything. The thing I enjoyed about PGR which doesn't seem to exist for any other console racer (at least, one that has realistic car models) is that it wears it's arcadeness on it's sleeve. You drift or take a corner well, you get points and you know about it right away (but it still feels kind of like a real-life racer (albeit dumbed-down, obviously)). FM and GT remove things like that from view in an attempt to make themselves more serious, but it just comes off as some awkward hybrid most of the time when comparing it to "actual" sims on PC.

PS. Good to see you in this thread! You can rest assured that if there are any solid leads about a potential PGR game, you'll see them here first :)

Top Bottom