• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Guardian - TGS Screens [With Bonus Ico/SotC PS3 Screen]

FLEABttn

Banned
StuBurns said:
So play Ico, what is the point of porting it and including a dog shit image quality mode when you could just play the original game?

Original doesn't work through component on my TV. Don't really feel like getting composite out just for one game.

Guv_Bubbs

Banned
oracrest said:
Those screens look soooooo gooood!!!!!! blaaaaah1!!!!! :D :D :D

edit: It looks like they are using more detailed textures. Not just higher resolution, but doesn't it look like the 'square brick' texture on the one ICO comparison actually contains more bricks than the low res version? Maybe it's just the different angles...

fHlEI.jpg

23jlvrn.png

Now I can see it. It's crazy that it look like you remember now how it really was

Guv_Bubbs said:
Now I can see it. It's crazy that it look like you remember now how it really was

I think i'll miss the fuzzy "hazy memory" look of ICO. I wonder if there will be a filter option or something for that....

Paracelsus

Nappuccino said:
I think i'll miss the fuzzy "hazy memory" look of ICO. I wonder if there will be a filter option or something for that....

Just hook the PS3 to the HDTV with a scart cable and there you have your fuzzy memory.

Erigu

Nappuccino said:
There were various filter options in the Japanese (and PAL, I think?) version of the game... Hopefully, they won't remove stuff from the port?

beatbeat

Banned
SolidSnakex said:

Hell yeah!,i can finally see how their faces look like without vaseline blurring what i'm looking at!!!,ico is the one that needed this the most,SotC had 480p.

now....JAK AND DAXTER HD COLLECTION!!!

Empty

Nappuccino said:

yeah, i thought the cloudiness of ico had a lo-fi charm that made it seem more dreamlike. still i can always just pop in the original if i want that again, and added sharpness brings in benefits when it comes to admiring the architecture of the castle.

StuBurns

Banned
Erigu said:
There were various filter options in the Japanese (and PAL, I think?) version of the game... Hopefully, they won't remove stuff from the port?
It was just a hideous film grain like seen in the 'flashback' cutscenes in the game if I remember correctly.

jediyoshi

Erigu said:

Only video options in the PAL version were brightness.

mrwilt

If my PS2 didn't stop reading cd-roms, I could be replaying ICO right now damnit! Why couldn't that game have been on DVD?

jediyoshi

Issun23 said:
You get more options after you complete the game once. Like having a second player control Yorda.

Ah, gotcha. I'm curious whether they'll default hold type A or B. Wasn't B defaulted in the US version and A for PAL?

Issun23

jediyoshi said:
Ah, gotcha. I'm curious whether they'll default hold type A or B. Wasn't B defaulted in the US version and A for PAL?

Yes. That was one of the differences among many. To name a few, in the US version some puzzles were simpler, there were less enemies and spawned at different places and some camera angles were changed.

mrwilt

Blu_LED said:
Ico was on a CD? They printed PS2 games on CDs? Wow, I never knew this.

Yep. It's purple on the back. Another game I miss playing on the PS2 becasue it's on cd-rom is Smugglers Run.

StuBurns

Banned
Is there any reason Sony don't support DVD based PS3 games? I'd forgotten about the purple CDs last gen, Rez is one for example.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Empty said:
yeah, i thought the cloudiness of ico had a lo-fi charm that made it seem more dreamlike. still i can always just pop in the original if i want that again, and added sharpness brings in benefits when it comes to admiring the architecture of the castle.
Don't worry, the effects are still there that make it look that way. Plus, there were extra 'degradation' film effect filters in the euro version (only after you complete the game once though)

jediyoshi said:
Only video options in the PAL version were brightness.
No, PAL version had variable strength film grain effects, as well as co-op mode enabled after you complete the game once.

ElFly

StuBurns said:
Is there any reason Sony don't support DVD based PS3 games? I'd forgotten about the purple CDs last gen, Rez is one for example.

How fast is the DVD drive in the PS3? I guess the PS2 had a 12x...wikipedia says 24x? Maybe now that there isn't PS2 bc, they downgraded the reader too.

StuBurns said:

They had a much bigger stake in blu-ray this gen than they did in dvd last gen

Kittonwy

Banned
StuBurns said:

Blu-Ray is essentially Sony's format (Sony is the main player in the Blu-Ray consortium), DVD isn't, there's no real reason why they should go back to DVD anyway, Blu-Ray is much more resistant to disc scratches and it gives developers more room for content.

StuBurns

Banned
Kittonwy said:
Blu-Ray is essentially Sony's format (Sony is the main player in the Blu-Ray consortium), DVD isn't, there's no real reason why they should go back to DVD anyway, Blu-Ray is much more resistant to disc scratches and it gives developers more room for content.
Sony is only one of the many companies that own BluRay, same as last time. And most games don't use the extra space at all, and because of BluRay PS3 games load slower, and cost more for third parties, so there is even a couple of competitive disadvantages to it.

So yeah, both games look fucking incredible and seeing SotC run in HD at a good frame rate in an official release is amazing. I love both of these games very much and seeing them look and run better is a dream come true!

BeeDog

StuBurns said:
Sony is only one of the many companies that own BluRay, same as last time. And most games don't use the extra space at all, and because of BluRay PS3 games load slower, and cost more for third parties, so there is even a couple of competitive disadvantages to it.

By forcing the publishers to use Bluray discs (even if not needed), they also forced them to invest in the BD pressing equipment, equipment that was much more expensive than the comparable HD-DVD tech. In a sense, they tried to create a lock-in effect (which seemingly worked).

StuBurns

Banned
BeeDog said:
By forcing the publishers to use Bluray discs (even if not needed), they also forced them to invest in the BD pressing equipment, equipment that was much more expensive than the comparable HD-DVD tech. In a sense, they tried to create a lock-in effect (which seemingly worked).
Makes sense, thanks.

harSon

Banned
I haven't played either, this will be an opportune chance to catch up on two of the more gaping holes in my video gaming experiences :D

hmmm I don't know. I mean, I want to play these games again in HD but the games feel so old coming from last generation. Maybe they could make Wander a little bit younger and give him some tats and a trendy haircut, or maybe they could just change his voice and look altogether and SLAP SOME LOGOS AND A GO-GURT ON THERE AND GIVE HIM A FUCKING SKATEBOARD BECAUSE THAT WOULD BE MORE IDENTIFIABLE AND MORE HIP ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR *Dragged away in straight jacket*

BobTheFork said:
hmmm I don't know. I mean, I want to play these games again in HD but the games feel so old coming from last generation. Maybe they could make Wander a little bit younger and give him some tats and a trendy haircut, or maybe they could just change his voice and look altogether and SLAP SOME LOGOS AND A GO-GURT ON THERE AND GIVE HIM A FUCKING SKATEBOARD BECAUSE THAT WOULD BE MORE IDENTIFIABLE AND MORE HIP ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR *Dragged away in straight jacket*

I was holding back on the skateboard jokes because to be fair DmC (lol) didn't actually show any skateboards, so thank you.

brandonh83 said:
I was holding back on the skateboard jokes because to be fair DmC (lol) didn't actually show any skateboards, so thank you.
After the zany crap they pulled in DMC3, you KNOW there's going to be a skateboard. Somewhere near the end of the game, he'll find one and have a scene where is blasts past the last gorup of minions and skates up to the final tower of the main villian.

New Cole never had a skateboard, but that's clearly the kind of thing they are shooting for.

BobTheFork said:
After the zany crap they pulled in DMC3, you KNOW there's going to be a skateboard. Somewhere near the end of the game, he'll find one and have a scene where is blasts past the last gorup of minions and skates up to the final tower of the main villian.

It will be a gameplay mechanic that they're holding back as a surprise.

Elixist

Needs more gray! Ugly pics are ugly except for the one with color, lookin forward to this game like the second coming tho, cant wait. Any footage of SOTC on ps3?

My one hope for the collection is that they retain the fogginess of SoTC and not have it be SUPER clean with no depth of field and fog clouding out distant objects. That would take away the atmosphere (no pun intended).

Daante

Danielsan said:
People asking what engine this is running on. :lol
It's running on pure Team ICO magic. I'm fairly confident that this game will shame all other console games released thusfar when it comes out.

Reason i asked was because i think it looks really really good, and was curios what tech thats behind this.

Danielsan

Daante said:
Reason i asked was because i think it looks really really good, and was curios what tech thats behind this.
No worries. It's just that most Sony studios have their own engines and Team ICO in particular tends to infuse their engines with magic.
They make things happen that shouldn't even be possible.

Top Bottom