• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

Yeah, that one is a fucker. I might do it for the hell of it once day, even though I don't really do roadie stuff.

Related to our earlier discussion on the subject, you seem to be basing those gradients on the road signs rather than the actual gradients...

Kirkstone Pass (6%)
Honister Pass (6%)
Newlands Hause (11%)
Whinlatter Pass (7%)
Cold Fell (5% / 7%)
Hardknott Pass (12%)
Wrynose Pass (8%)

Filthy roadies, always making out things are harder than they actually are. :D

T8SC

Yeah, that one is a fucker. I might do it for the hell of it once day, even though I don't really do roadie stuff.

Related to our earlier discussion on the subject, you seem to be basing those gradients on the road signs rather than the actual gradients...

Kirkstone Pass (6%)
Honister Pass (6%)
Newlands Hause (11%)
Whinlatter Pass (7%)
Cold Fell (5% / 7%)
Hardknott Pass (12%)
Wrynose Pass (8%)

Filthy roadies, always making out things are harder than they actually are. :D

I was basing it on the steepest part of the climb, not the overall average. As calling Newlands 11% & Hardknott 12% makes Hardknott seem a lot easier than it is, as it's a crap load harder than Newlands lol. Infact Newlands based on the average shows its almost twice as hard/steep as Honister when in fact it's a lot easier, still tough but not Honister tough. Unless you got the wrong side of Honister, as on Veloview it shows as 10.5% average steep, still easier than Newlands though which is incorrect.

Infact Veloviewer says Hardknott average is 13% and another version says 11.5% lol ... easier to base it on the steepest gradient as the road sign says.

Wish I had big girly MTB gears for it so I can say it's nice & easy lol but I'll be on the 52/36 & 11-28.

T8SC

I pass roadies on hills... my small gears are for tech climbs. Also, I took those averages direct from a Fred Whitton ride.

I pass MTB'ers on hills lol.

Too much MTB love in this thread. :-D

hardknott-SLIDE.jpg

Love that photo though.

I think the large will fit better on that too. I should be able to get away with the 150mm dropper.

Edit - Actually not, read the wrong field. Balls.

My legs are stupid long for my height (34" inside leg), it's the top of my body that's gnome like. :D

Seems the medium is quite a bit longer / slacker than the medium on the 29er. Could work.

Also whoever said they were doing Leadville make sure to get pizza at that awesome place in town. Also might as well stay in CO in August, all the high alpine riding will be in by then.

Sweet, I just came home from work and checked on the Tiagra rear derailleur. It's already shifting through the block both ways, which it didn't do yesterday! I wiggled the pivots some more and applied another dose of oil. It's this incredibly foul smelling, thin chain lube that penetrates the joints really well.

Well, having spent basically all yesterday looking at sizes, geometries etc... I'm now basically back to 27.5" bikes. lol

Of all that are available, the two best for price / performance definitely seem to be the Aluminium Canyon Spectral or the Carbon YT Jeffsy. Oddly these are pretty much the same weight (12.7kg).

As a wildcard, Evil Bike's "The Following" is still on the list, but I'm really not convinced that 120mm is enough travel for what I want the bike for (vs 150mm on those two).

Mascot

Well, having spent basically all yesterday looking at sizes, geometries etc... I'm now basically back to 27.5" bikes. lol

Of all that are available, the two best for price / performance definitely seem to be the Aluminium Canyon Spectral or the Carbon YT Jeffsy. Oddly these are pretty much the same weight (12.7kg).

As a wildcard, Evil Bike's "The Following" is still on the list, but I'm really not convinced that 120mm is enough travel for what I want the bike for (vs 150mm on those two).

If you don't go for the Carbon YT then regret will be your first waking thought for the next eight years. Why torture yourself like that?

Edit: silly question. You love torturing yourself.

Spectral it is then!

I'm sort of missing any meaningful advantage it has for the extra £450 though. How did they make a CF bike so heavy?

That aside. Seems the wheels might be better suited on the Jeffsy. Slightly wider and a bit tougher.

T8SC

Managed to hold 328w for an hour on the Wattbike last night and realised I had no Casein when I got home. Fail. Could've done with a bit more night recovery. Time to go buy some new stuff, any recommendations? Usually stick to ON but willing to listen to opinions...

Just... you know, eat something? lol

The only time I ever touch powders if if I'm down in the ridiculous calories for cutting. You could have easily have drunk a bunch of milk / eaten some lower fat cheese and had much the same effect.

If I do buy powers, it's pretty much MyProtein or Optimum Nutrition.

(Also, that whole casein overnight thing really isn't backed up by studies. You aren't going catabolic in 8 hours. The supplement companies would rather you didn't know that though!)

T8SC

Just... you know, eat something? lol

The only time I ever touch powders if if I'm down in the ridiculous calories for cutting. You could have easily have drunk a bunch of milk / eaten some lower fat cheese and had much the same effect.

If I do buy powers, it's pretty much MyProtein or Optimum Nutrition.

(Also, that whole casein overnight thing really isn't backed up by studies. You aren't going catabolic in 8 hours. The supplement companies would rather you didn't know that though!)

I'm cutting calories, trying to drop my weight a few more kg & body fat to sub 8%, currently hovering around 8.1% at the moment but these last few 0.% are hard to lose.

I'm not a fan of MyProtein, I find it doesn't mix very well for the ones I've tried. Though my mate swears by it. Not tried their Casein mind. ON stuff is expensive and im always curious if there's stuff as good but for a more attractive price.

Mascot

I'm sort of missing any meaningful advantage it has for the extra £450 though. How did they make a CF bike so heavy?

That aside. Seems the wheels might be better suited on the Jeffsy. Slightly wider and a bit tougher.

I wouldn't swap my Hope DH's for a slimmer, lighter wheel. I love the confidence they bring when smashing over stuff and landing drop-offs etc.

I've never had a problem mixing it, so can't really speak to that. ON advantages are normally about flavours. If I were you I'd just stick the powder in a smoothie and make it an entire meal.

How are you getting your body fat measured? I ask because most ways are hilariously unreliable and you may be chasing a moving target because of it.

I wouldn't swap my Hope DH's for a slimmer, lighter wheel. I love the confidence they bring when smashing over stuff and landing drop-offs etc.

I guess that is one thing. If I was buying a 29er I wouldn't mind upgrading the wheels at some point as I could use them on multiple bikes (maybe even go for carbon). I'm definitely not upgrading the wheels that come with the 27.5.

T8SC

I've never had a problem mixing it, so can't really speak to that. ON advantages are normally about flavours. If I were you I'd just stick the powder in a smoothie and make it an entire meal.

How are you getting your body fat measured? I ask because most ways are hilariously unreliable and you may be chasing a moving target because of it.

I agree, ON flavours are usually far better, only PHD comes close from what I've tried.

As for body fat measurements, I've used got a bio-impedence machine at home which i use before i go to the shop in town and use theres to get an "average" between the two, i also have calipers and I have medicals often at work due to my job so they do a test too but these are not as often and i cant "request" those but I can see a progress between the medicals.

So, yeah hard to measure so I use a combo and get an idea, hence why I said "hovering around" as I've had measurements under and over 8.1% but that's my average.

BIA is awful. I'd take a professionally done skin caliper test over that any day of the week... though with that said, skin caliper tests can be pretty bad too. Skin thickness ultrasound is better.

DEXA is pretty much the go to... though there aren't that many places doing it in the UK.

T8SC

BIA is awful. I'd take a professionally done skin caliper test over that any day of the week... though with that said, skin caliper tests can be pretty bad too. Skin thickness ultrasound is better.

DEXA is pretty much the go to... though there aren't that many places doing it in the UK.

Yeah I don't think I have anywhere local that offers DEXA. As long as my results are consistent, and dropping, that's a good enough indication. My eyes can tell me a lot too.

I should really work with a dietician. My scale says my BF is up around 20% but I'm 5'7" 175-180. Maybe I should switch to track.

If I fee I need recovery I just do a yogurt banana peanut butter smoothie but I also use that in place of breakfast. I though about trying the Skratch recovery.

T8SC

I should really work with a dietician. My scale says my BF is up around 20% but I'm 5'7" 175-180. Maybe I should switch to track.

If I fee I need recovery I just do a yogurt banana peanut butter smoothie but I also use that in place of breakfast. I though about trying the Skratch recovery.

I'm 6ft 2 and the same weight. Got a few 100 mile rides planned for next week to sort my endurance out and no doubt burn a bit more of the hard to reach fat. Cant make my bike any lighter since its all hi-mod carbon on 24mm climbing wheels so gotta focus on my weight.

I'm blaming it on my Italian genes and inability to not eat food constantly.

I'd be ok with getting back down to 160/165, but it'd be a ton of work. Last time I dieted hard was my year on the bike and I wanted to die every time I did 25-30 miles.

T8SC

I'm blaming it on my Italian genes and inability to not eat food constantly.

I'd be ok with getting back down to 160/165, but it'd be a ton of work. Last time I dieted hard was my year on the bike and I wanted to die every time I did 25-30 miles.

It does get hard when you get to a certain weight to maintain muscle mass but drop the fat off, though you still need some fat. I've been doing a lot of "fasted" 55-60 mile rides lately and it's hard work with minimal energy and no reserves trying to hold an 18mph average over a hilly route. But if it was easy, it'd be no fun or a challenge. :)

It does get hard when you get to a certain weight to maintain muscle mass but drop the fat off, though you still need some fat. I've been doing a lot of "fasted" 55-60 mile rides lately and it's hard work with minimal energy and no reserves trying to hold an 18mph average over a hilly route. But if it was easy, it'd be no fun or a challenge. :)

Do you eat anything during the ride? When I was dieting I was on low-carb, high protein and my body just could not adapt for anything more than 30 miles without food.

When I ride in the morning I try to always do them fasted with the most food option being Skratch mix but that's barely any calories and only on 40+ hammer rides.

BossLackey

Gold Member
New Bike Day!

7S66Jqc.jpg

Specialized Diverge A1 Subcompact

First serious bike. I rode my dad's old mountain bike all last year and I desperately wanted a new road bike. Finally pulled the trigger. Went clipless, which I've never done before, but I'm adapting quickly. Going to replace the groupset in a few months with the help of my cycling friend. I really wanted the Sport's matte black finish, but it was $300 more for a paint job and better derailleurs. I've only ridden it for 20 minutes last night as it was getting dark and cold, though luckily this whole week is going to be really nice out.

I plan on riding pretty seriously and I'm going to commute to work and to my girlfriend's as often as possible. I'm also going to do Kansas City's MS 150 with my dad later this year as my mom has (mild) MS and it's something I've always wanted to do with him. Really looking forward to taking this sport seriously.

Do you eat anything during the ride? When I was dieting I was on low-carb, high protein and my body just could not adapt for anything more than 30 miles without food.

When I ride in the morning I try to always do them fasted with the most food option being Skratch mix but that's barely any calories and only on 40+ hammer rides.

I've done anywhere up to 8 hour rides fully fasted (as in, not having eaten since the day before). However, I do intermittent fasting and have done for years now. I would strongly recommend that most people (those that don't fast / do keto... proper keto, as in high fat / moderate protein not just low carb) don't go over an hour / hour and a half fasted. You're just asking to burn muscle and feel like shit.

There's basically zero advantage for fat burn either. I only do it because I'm training for adaptation to help fuel my endurance events. Plus you limit yourself to lower heart rates, and you're hardly going to set your KOMs at low heart rates. :D

New Bike Day!

Paint that wall! :p

It's fine. It's an age old bike forum thing where you basically completely ignore the new bike and pick something to fault in the rest of the pic. :p

Looks like a nice bit of kit. Though I forgot how strange they look with the reflectors etc on them.

BossLackey

Gold Member
It's fine. It's an age old bike forum thing where you basically completely ignore the new bike and pick something to fault in the rest of the pic. :p

Looks like a nice bit of kit. Though I forgot how strange they look with the reflectors etc on them.

Ohhhhh haha.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the reflectors, but I ride at night a lot.

I've done anywhere up to 8 hour rides fully fasted (as in, not having eaten since the day before). However, I do intermittent fasting and have done for years now. I would strongly recommend that most people (those that don't fast / do keto... proper keto, as in high fat / moderate protein not just low carb) don't go over an hour / hour and a half fasted. You're just asking to burn muscle and feel like shit.

There's basically zero advantage for fat burn either. I only do it because I'm training for adaptation to help fuel my endurance events. Plus you limit yourself to lower heart rates, and you're hardly going to set your KOMs at low heart rates. :D

Paint that wall! :p

That's basically what I was doing when I had crashes. I was "paleo" so barely any carbs and would crash fucking HARD. Then I'd also develop massive migraines from lack of glucose on longer rides.

T8SC

I don't eat on the bike, or drink, when doing a fasting ride.
As Psycho said, it's great for training the body so that it requires less nutrition on long, fast rides which is what I have coming up. As for fat burning, questionable but it certainly won't be worse than eating so potentially two birds with one stone.

Nice Specialized bike there. Never had a Specialized but was tempted by one for a winter trainer a few month ago.

That's basically what I was doing when I had crashes. I was "paleo" so barely any carbs and would crash fucking HARD. Then I'd also develop massive migraines from lack of glucose on longer rides.

Barely any can be a big difference to proper keto though, and if you go too high in protein intake you wont be keto either (it's the mistake most people make).

Assuming you really were on a ketogenic diet, you'd had proper time to adapt (usually at least a month) and you weren't up in the high heart rates (sub 85% max) then you shouldn't have had it happen to you.

That said, not everyone is compatible with it, despite what its silver bullet preachers like to lecture about.

As for fat burning, questionable but it certainly won't be worse than eating so potentially two birds with one stone.

Best method for fat burning and long endurance exercise is regular small amounts of simple carbs. By small I mean a few bites, not like... a snickers bar every half hour. :D

T8SC

Best method for fat burning and long endurance exercise is regular small amounts of simple carbs. By small I mean a few bites, not like... a snickers bar every half hour. :D

Yeah to keep metabolism up but I've read that fasting can help remove he stubborn fat. Lots of conflicting stuff though. You're saying I should stop filling my 3 rear Jersey pockets with Snickers? :-D

Barely any can be a big difference to proper keto though, and if you go too high in protein intake you wont be keto either (it's the mistake most people make).

Assuming you really were on a ketogenic diet, you'd had proper time to adapt (usually at least a month) and you weren't up in the high heart rates (sub 85% max) then you shouldn't have had it happen to you.

That said, not everyone is compatible with it, despite what its silver bullet preachers like to lecture about.

So I shouldn't be eating a pizza every 20 miles? Damn

Addnan

New Bike Day!

7S66Jqc.jpg

Specialized Diverge A1 Subcompact

First serious bike. I rode my dad's old mountain bike all last year and I desperately wanted a new road bike. Finally pulled the trigger. Went clipless, which I've never done before, but I'm adapting quickly. Going to replace the groupset in a few months with the help of my cycling friend. I really wanted the Sport's matte black finish, but it was $300 more for a paint job and better derailleurs. I've only ridden it for 20 minutes last night as it was getting dark and cold, though luckily this whole week is going to be really nice out.

I plan on riding pretty seriously and I'm going to commute to work and to my girlfriend's as often as possible. I'm also going to do Kansas City's MS 150 with my dad later this year as my mom has (mild) MS and it's something I've always wanted to do with him. Really looking forward to taking this sport seriously.
Don't fall on your drive side. You will fall.

I liked the Diverge when I had it for the month or so. Brakes bothered me too much to keep it long term.

Top Bottom