• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

Ha, I ride like a pussy on the road bike. Descents terrify me... which is hilarious, because normally you'll find me bouncing down boulder fields.

I just keep picturing myself going around a corner head first into a car. Pretty much zero chance you stop in a lot of cases.

HTupolev

Flex is definitely a part of it, but you might be able to adjust the brakes to minimize it. I brought up centering, for instance, because better centering will make it need more flex before it rubs.

Teggy

Ha, I ride like a pussy on the road bike. Descents terrify me... which is hilarious, because normally you'll find me bouncing down boulder fields.

I just keep picturing myself going around a corner head first into a car. Pretty much zero chance you stop in a lot of cases.

Next time you go down a hill on your MB imagine you'll go head first into a mountain lion.

I just bought a bike today! I am very excited. It's a Specialized Diverge Elite.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/road/diverge/diverge-elite-dsw/106564

Rides really nice and seems well suited for the kind of riding I'll do. Mostly road and paved path, but occasional cinder path connecting stretches of the ride. Plus the roads around here are pretty shitty so I appreciate some flexibility while still maintaining most of the "road bike" feel.

Looking forward to my first real ride tomorrow. It's been many years since I've owned a bike.

teepo

i never know how to deal with training when i've come down with something minor. i have a slight headache, my entire body is sore (especially my legs), my throat is scratchy and dry and i've made a few more visits to the bathroom than normal. it's nothing serious so i can def tough it out and get through the workouts but i'm scared i'll do more harm than good. i stopped 40 mins into my workout yesterday and i'm thinking of bailing out on today's.

luckily it's only the first week of the 2nd part of the sweetspot program so i might as well just start over, skipping the ftp test of course.

I just bought a bike today! I am very excited. It's a Specialized Diverge Elite.

Rides really nice and seems well suited for the kind of riding I'll do. Mostly road and paved path, but occasional cinder path connecting stretches of the ride. Plus the roads around here are pretty shitty so I appreciate some flexibility while still maintaining most of the "road bike" feel.

Looking forward to my first real ride tomorrow. It's been many years since I've owned a bike.

nice! another gaffer bought the same bike a page or two back

Teggy

Argh, I want my new toy now!

Trying to hold off buying any accessories for this bike until I have it in hand. I think I might put fenders on it, at least for the winter. Oddly Giant has all sorts of their own fender options on their U.K. store but none on the US store. They have lots of interesting bags and racks though.

Kind of excited about my new shoes. Put them on earlier and it was kind of cool walking around like a normal person :p

Also think I will wind up with a new saddle. Giant seems to make all of their saddles in only one size, and that size has a small rear end.

Edit: oh, I see, it looks like rather than multiple widths per saddle they "forward" and "upright" versions based on how you are expected to be riding. So I might want to try the upright version or just get a different brand of saddle.

frontieruk

Argh, I want my new toy now!

Trying to hold off buying any accessories for this bike until I have it in hand. I think I might put fenders on it, at least for the winter. Oddly Giant has all sorts of their own fender options on their U.K. store but none on the US store. They have lots of interesting bags and racks though.

Kind of excited about my new shoes. Put them on earlier and it was kind of cool walking around like a normal person :p

Also think I will wind up with a new saddle. Giant seems to make all of their saddles in only one size, and that size has a small rear end.

Edit: oh, I see, it looks like rather than multiple widths per saddle they "forward" and "upright" versions based on how you are expected to be riding. So I might want to try the upright version or just get a different brand of saddle.

What bike did you pick up?

Looks really nice, I've always had a soft spot for Specialized bikes.

Mascot

Lol, feeling a little stiff this morning with a really tender rump. Insert your own punchlines.

My arms are the worst though. You forget what a buffeting they get on rocky descents.

#gettingtoooldforthisshit

frontieruk

Lol, feeling a little stiff this morning with a really tender rump. Insert your own punchlines.

My arms are the worst though. You forget what a buffeting they get on rocky descents.

#gettingtoooldforthisshit

I thought it was PT who went out on the Jimmy... Did you get jumped again?

I really wish pedal specs were better. I'm trying to find the total platform width of the Crankbrother Candy pedal line but it's nowhere. Then Shimano doesn't even list the q-factor

frontieruk

I got a Giant Revolt 3.

Ooooh pretty, I borrowed an Anyroad-comax was a nice ride but was too heavy. The Aluxx SL is light as my rapid was that construction but I had issues with the rear geometry being to flexible, that smaller triangle on the revolt looks like it should solve that.

If I have an iPhone and the latest Apple Watch is there any reason to get anything more than a basic bike computer? Would just want some basic stats and something I can quickly glance at for speed/distance/cadence but I don't need GPS I don't think with the phone/watch.

Any suggestions? Not trying to spend more than I need.

Do any of them connect to apps to collect data? Is there a way to merge ride data from my phone/watch and the bike comp?

Teggy

If I have an iPhone and the latest Apple Watch is there any reason to get anything more than a basic bike computer? Would just want some basic stats and something I can quickly glance at for speed/distance/cadence but I don't need GPS I don't think with the phone/watch.

Any suggestions? Not trying to spend more than I need.

Do any of them connect to apps to collect data? Is there a way to merge ride data from my phone/watch and the bike comp?

I have a cadence meter and a heart rate monitor, both of which sync with Strava and ridewithgps, so all I use is my phone. Power meter should also work with them. It seems getting a head unit at this point is a matter of personal preference of not wanting to strap your phone to your bike or wanting something a little smaller with better battery life.

Cool, thanks. Yeah will mount my phone to the bar. Then maybe get a cadence meter? They have those that will connect to the iPhone?

What about speed measurement? Is the phone good enough for that?

Teggy

I use phone for speed - I assume by using gps it is not as accurate but doing this recreationally it seems fine.

And to be contrarian ;) I use the wahoo cadence and heart monitors and have had no problems.

T8SC

Another 60 knocked in today, rained pretty much all the way round then got windy & foggy. As soon as I got home, the clouds broke & the sun came out. I hate the weather sometimes.

My comment on q-factor was the fact that even that is not standard across all measurements for pedals. You'd think this shit would be in line, but NOPE

Anyway, had the day off so I put together to trail rides. First was around 13 miles but up & down elevation entire time. Second was my usual riding spot and 8.5ish miles. All together it was a 20 mile day and dear god does that shit hit you harder than a road bike.

T8SC

All together it was a 20 mile day and dear god does that shit hit you harder than a road bike.

9321f82af44ed9f4befb419bfc7a5452.png

Doesn't it depend on the route in question? Rather than just "that shit hit you harder than a road bike." ...

If you're just riding a fire road it's not going to be as intensive. But if you're on trails with varying terrain (rocks, roots, stumps) and ups/downs then it's going to require you to work more. Add in a winding terrain and you're not using your body even more to lean & balance.

Road bikes, even when hitting mostly hills, has always felt like a more steady and straight ahead affair. Even on bad climbs I can always hit the top and feel recovered after.

frontieruk

Doesn't it depend on the route in question? Rather than just "that shit hit you harder than a road bike." ...

No, you tend to use your body more for balance due to quick sharp hairpin turns, road cycling is more about efficiency, off road training tends to translate to better performance in road riding than the other way around.

No, you tend to use your body more for balance due to quick sharp hairpin turns, road cycling is more about efficiency, off road training tends to translate to better performance in road riding than the other way around.

Yep. My stamina and overall heart rate is much better this winter from riding mountain bike 2-3 times a week.

T8SC

frontieruk said:

My MTB friends would disagree, they tend to "break" or "bonk" when on the road bike yet can do technical MTB route no problem.

Yep. My stamina and overall heart rate is much better this winter from riding mountain bike 2-3 times a week.

Same, except replace MTB with Wattbike sessions.

PS: I'm very aware this is a MTB is GOAT, fux the Roadies kinda thread.

My MTB friends would disagree, they tend to "break" or "bonk" when on the road bike yet can do technical MTB route no problem.

I do both, so it's whatever. I much prefer the gravel/cx end of road riding though.

What we were saying is people who ride both bike types will have better mountain > road than road > mountain.

Laekon

I've never found this to be true personally or found pro riders/trainers to think it either. While off road riding is way better at building handling skills, both power and aerobic efficiency can be gained better on the road. It just allows for more control. World Cup enduro and dh racers do blocks of road training in the early season to build fitness. Pro road riders do mtb training in the off season to help prevent burnout and build skills.

And to be contrarian ;) I use the wahoo cadence and heart monitors and have had no problems.

I have five of their devices. Wasn't really the point. If one of them goes wrong, good luck dealing with that massive bunch of c*nts. Worst customer service I've ever had.

On the road vs MTB thing. All the fitness in the world isn't going to do shit if you can't handle a rock garden and drop offs. By the same token, all the technical skills in the world wont do a thing for you on a road bike when you're looking at a half an hour climb (though MTB riders and CX riders do tend to descend better).

They're pretty different sports. Even XC racing these days is pretty damn technical.

Of the two... proper cross country vs a long road ride? The cross country ride will fuck you up faster. Take it from someone that's done 12 hour+ rides on both.

T8SC

Fuck me, don't start this shit again.

Sorry, I yawned and didn't quite catch that.

Laekon said:
I've never found this to be true personally or found pro riders/trainers to think it either. While off road riding is way better at building handling skills, both power and aerobic efficiency can be gained better on the road.

One of the guys I know rides semi-pro MTB's and says pretty much exactly the same thing. Another guy I know, amateur at both MTB & Road is indecisive but says he cheats with his road bike as he has a 32 on the back lol at least he's honest.

Mascot

Sorry, I yawned and didn't quite catch that.

You tried to shit the thread up a few months ago with the same passive-aggressive agenda. The responses back then should have told you how badly you misread the actual situation. Find a new axe to grind, please. We're all friends here.

frontieruk

Well there's a perfectly good roadies thread that you've not posted in since December last year. I know because I've been posting over there...

But I'm part of a fuck roadies group??? Fuck you.

Fuck me, don't start this shit again.

I think I'm going to bail from the thread and probably GAF for a while, this sort of shit gets to me too much...

I do both, so it's whatever. I much prefer the gravel/cx end of road riding though.

What we were saying is people who ride both bike types will have better mountain > road than road > mountain.

I've never found this to be true personally or found pro riders/trainers to think it either. While off road riding is way better at building handling skills, both power and aerobic efficiency can be gained better on the road. It just allows for more control. World Cup enduro and dh racers do blocks of road training in the early season to build fitness. Pro road riders do mtb training in the off season to help prevent burnout and build skills.

Everything is subjective and if road riding is your goal, you are going to be more comfortable In that zone, with well established training plans, but thanks for confirming that the skill sets from MTB are more transferable to road than the other way around.

I'm out.

HTupolev

I don't think there's any intentional hostility, but I'd be inclined to semi-agree with T8SC in that constant "jimmies" stuff is extremely weird. I don't understand how being repeatedly told that I worship a pedophile is funny, and I've thought about bringing up in the past that maybe it's dissuading people from hopping into the community, but I mostly haven't said anything specifically because I was concerned about a confrontation like what we've just seen.

Mascot, you said that the responses then indicated that he was wrong, but the responses back then showed several people coming out of the woodwork to agree that the environment was an issue. If it's light and frivolous, how can we have multiple lurkers who feel awkward about it, and why is there so much defensiveness over it?

Don't worry, I'm still here and I'm gonna tell you about how I've decided to build a fully geared bike out of the Colnago frame. I'm broke so it'll have to be Shimano tho, I kinda wanna try out the new Sora groupset. Being all steel it'll make a good bike for taking along on holiday. But then I kinda need a bike bag too.

Damnnn can't wait to see what it looks like.

I've been thinking about building a second bike, but instead of doing the titanium build like I wanted just buy a new color of the frame I'm currently riding and making it a town bike. Fenders, panniers, flat bars, single speed.

T8SC

I didn't mean to cause so many arguments or for people to quit the thread but I felt it needed said (Again), and it seems I'm not alone with the opinion. I also didn't aim my previous comment at anyone in particular, so I'd like to apologise to frontieruk but it seems you interpreted my comment wrongly.

Anyhow...

35 mile of headwind isn't pleasant, especially when there's no hiding place, just getting a constant 20mph wind with upto 40mph gusts, horrid. Notice how you can never really detect a tail wind though lol. Ah well, character building I guess and another 75 mile knocked in this morning. :)

Mascot

I didn't mean to cause so many arguments or for people to quit the thread but I felt it needed said (Again), and it seems I'm not alone with the opinion. I also didn't aim my previous comment at anyone in particular, so I'd like to apologise to frontieruk but it seems you interpreted my comment wrongly.

Lol. You got exactly the reaction you were fishing for. Well played.

Well I found out how out of shape I am on my first ride on the new bike (and first real ride of more than a couple of miles in my life). 14 miles, with what felt to me like extremely steep climbs. Now I'm seeing the most brutal one was a "Category 5" (easiest) - going from 36 feet to 365 feet over exactly one mile. I kept thinking I'd never make it but just kept pedaling and I made it to the top without stopping. The nice thing was that was the crest of a hill and the next move was down 150 feet over a mile.

It was a really nice loop though despite the hills, and there are easy ways for me to tack on more distance. Looking forward to getting out there again this coming weekend!

Top Bottom