• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nikkei: Nintendo ceasing Wii U production at the end of the year

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Been dead for a while now, hope NX can turn Nintendo around again. Wii U was a disaster from day 1.

IMBored

They'll be ceasing production. I don't know how the production to sell ratio is right now, but I'm guessing they'll be able to sell the overstock for a decent part of next year..

oti

Banned
So those that bought a Wii U, are you happy with what you got? Are you happy with the 4 year production cycle of the console?

Yep. Best games of this gen so far for me. MK8, Splatoon, SM3DW, Toad, Smash, Mario Maker - that's a hell of a games library and I could play those games forever. And the Zelda HD collections were great too.

georly

Lol no. Why would they develop a wii u mini when a new console is on the horizon

Same reason Wii mini came out? To make their library from the past 4 years more affordable to people who just want a budget game system and some mario games?

Wii mini came out in 2013, one year after Wii U.

wiimini.png

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
So those that bought a Wii U, are you happy with what you got? Are you happy with the 4 year production cycle of the console?

no, i had some great times with em but my wii u and 3ds didn't feel like good purchases in retrospect

i kind of hope N goes the sega route at this point and just focuses on software

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned

There's over 40 retail Wii U games on my shelf, countless other eShop games on the Wii U storage itself, and more on the way this year.

I would have loved a full 5-year lifespan, but I can't complain with what Nintendo has released for the system.

As for those who can't remember how long it's been

by November aka around NX launch, the Wii U Generation will have been a mere 4 years.

One year too long, in my opinion. I wish Nintendo could have gotten NX out sooner, but it obviously wasn't ready for a 2015 launch.

There's no point in manufacturing Wii U's. Nintendo is ready to move on. Fans have pretty much moved on. And third party's moved on. The Wii U has some amazing games and I'm ready for NX to see what it has to offer.

Mentioned this on Twitter but interesting Nintendo ceased production of Wii after the Wii U had been released.

Wii had a lot longer legs and user base of course, but still interesting that Wii U will be stopped before we assume NX release date. Or maybe this means NX release IS in fact this year.. Can't tell at all but we will speculate nonetheless ;-)

Time to buy a spare and round out the Wii U collection. Man, the thing isn't even (offically) priced below $200 yet...

RIP in peace Wii U. Ya had a short run.

Jon

RIP Wii U. Bought PS4 and WiiU at launch, and have had the far better experience on WiiU thus far. A real shame it didn't pan out, and I hope Nintendo can recover.

jonno394

Same reason Wii mini came out? To make their library from the past 4 years more affordable to people who just want a budget game system and some mario games?

Wii mini came out in 2013, one year after Wii U.

Wii mini was a new model of a successful console though.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Wouldn't surprise me if they already stopped producing them honestly. No reason to keep supporting the Wii U at this point.

There is one, diehard fans who bought the Wii U. That's why there is still a (very small) trail of releases coming. Looks like it will be 4 years and done like the original Xbox, which was another great console that deserved better than its fate.

I bet the Wii U hasn't been produced for months now and that's why there are shortages in Japan, Nintendo rationing their Japanese region consoles.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I don't get why people think that, now that Wii U's production is stopping, Zelda can't still come on Wii U (alongside the NX version, of course)...seriously?

Phoenixus

Yup. Sucks about the console's many issues, but the fact Nintendo gave it great support and didn't just leave it hanging bodes well for NX, no matter how well it does.

EhoaVash

Yep. Best racing game this gen mk8, best fighting game smash 4, best shooter splatoon.

These 3 multiplayer games have given me so much fun since they launched, I still play them.

But I am ready to move on to NX, will next gen smash, kart and splatoon here we go. :)

I still dont understand this. Is the Wii U outside in the rain looking in? If so, why is it a ghost? Or is it inside looking out at the rain and that's its reflection? Why would it want to be in the rain? Or is it just depressed that it's raining outside?

It's referencing that other systems are having all the support (being cosy inside) and Wii U is being left behind (in the rain/cold). Pretty sure it was created when numerous multiplats were really starting to skip Wii U around 2013.

AdanVC

Definitely. Such an underrated console with top quality games even if they were very few. I love that lil console but it already gave everything it can offer and I just cannot wait to move on new hardware.

notworksafe

Yeah I enjoyed mine a lot. Mario Kart, Mario 3D World, Smash, Bayonetta 2, XCX, and the weird Animal Crossing board game got a lot of play in my house. Splatoon as well. Definitely was happy with the console and the exclusives it had.

JABEE

Don't be an idiot. It will come out on Wii U.

I don't believe it will. That's just my guess though. Production is ended. There aren't that many WiiUs out there, and if they want to make a new Zelda game to make a splash, I'm not sure why they would hold it back with hardware that is a little better than systems that came out 10 years ago.

If I was Nintendo, I would have already moved over every major project outside of remakes etc to development for their new system. The WiiU has been a lost cause.

Top Bottom