• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sold PS3, feel relieved

The Lamp

"Sold all my underwear today. There was just too much for me to wear. I feel so liberated!"

That's what this sounds like to me. People really sell their consoles for reasons like "I just have too many good options when it comes to entertainment value with the console I bought"?

"Sold all my underwear today. There was just too much for me to wear. I feel so liberated!"

That's what this sounds like to me. People really sell their consoles for reasons like "I just have too many good options when it comes to entertainment value with the console I bought"?

Options are only good if you feel that you are or will use them. Otherwise it´s just money collecting dust. You´re better off having fewer games that you actually play.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
ps3game5hind.png

No, that's an awful reason. OP, you already bought the games.

Why do people buy games they don't plan on playing immediately? I will never, ever understand this mindset. I have a backlog, sure, but it exists as games I have yet to buy.

randomkid

I will never understand you backlog people. Just stop buying games, and play the games you have!

I'm suspicious of people who post on videogame messageboards and don't have backlogs. Here's a few situations where I can understand how an enthusiast might have no backlog:

Only pays attention to games that are heavily marketed
Only has a single console/handheld
Never pays attention to game sales
Almost never beats games, prefers to dabble for a few hours with every game they buy, low attention span

For the rest of us, the list of awesome games out there available at rock bottom prices is ridiculous. There are people who have certainly lost all sense of self-control and spent ungodly amounts of money on hundreds of games they never intend to play (dcharlie), but those folks are outliers.

As for people who spend more than $20 on games they don't immediately play, I'm on your side there, that's kinda dumb.

Selling them doesn't get you back the money you used to buy it though.

No it doesn´t. So? Some money is better than a waste of money collecting dust. What´s done is done, so you deal with it the best way you can.

Say that you buy 20 games for 60 bucks. You realize that you´re not going to play them. You sell them for 20 bucks each. That´s a big loss, but still good money to have.

Lunchbox

Banned
probably the last gen where i buy multiple consoles. feel like child looking at the stacks of ps2,ps3,360,ds crap i have. and its always embarrassing when someone walks into my room and sees all this garbage

ios and whatever console next gen has the better library/online service. pc for rest

Backlogs are such a foreign concept to me. Something I just can't personally grasp. Why do you guys buy the games? Just habit I guess? I buy 1 game at a time. Beat it, buy the next game I want, and so on. Saves me money in the long run, I don't miss out on anything, no backlogs. It just makes sense, that's why I can't understand it.

I have a backlog, sure, but it exists as games I have yet to buy.
pretty much

Nizz

Hmm ok so you buy a shitton of games you want to play, dont play them but play other games first. Then because you feel guilty for having so many games and dont know where to start you just sell the entire thing?

Uhh ok.
Pretty much. What a dumb thread...

plc268

Thinking about selling my PS3 eventually too. Most of my gaming is done on the 360/PC/iPad, and the PS3 is just there for the Sony exclusives. Problem is, most of the sony exclusives really aren't interesting me, so it just sits there collecting dust.

I kept it around as a bluray player, but even that's pointless now because I grabbed another bluray player for ~60 bucks a few months ago.

Joei

No, that's an awful reason. OP, you already bought the games.

Why do people buy games they don't plan on playing immediately? I will never, ever understand this mindset. I have a backlog, sure, but it exists as games I have yet to buy.

Easy answer, price. I bought Uncharted 3 the day after Thanksgiving for 20$ knowing I wasn't going to play it anytime soon but could not pass it up at that price. I actually STILL haven't played it, but am getting ready to load up in the next day or so now that my schedule is more open and I'm done playing some other games.

As for the OP, well, he's just an idiot.

randomkid

Backlogs are such a foreign concept to me. Something I just can't personally grasp. Why do you guys buy the games? Just habit I guess? I buy 1 game at a time. Beat it, buy the next game I want, and so on. Saves me money in the long run, I don't miss out on anything, no backlogs. It just makes sense, that's why I can't understand it.

yeah I've got a "futurelog" too, but are you saying you've never bought one of those Indie bundles, never bought anything from a Steam or Black Friday or (in its heyday) Amazon sale? More than half the games in my backlog are more expensive now than when I bought them, it made sense to pick them up at the time even if I wasn't going to get to them immediately.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I haven't sold my PS3 yet, but I got rid of my 30+ game catalogue. I only have a couple of titles which I've said I'll touch one day but I doubt I will ever get around to it.

Arklite

ahhhhhh...

Backlog: 15 games down in one minute.

PS3: no longer stares reaproachfully from under my table.

The sense of relief: unmatched.

Has somebody sold a console just because of a huge backlog?

no PC vs console arguments in this thread please

That's like defeat, man.
Intimidation and defeat.

I still haven't finished my PS2 backlog, but I'm not letting it go. I still have it under control. I can still finish it ....

shandy706

30 uninstalled? Pfft. That's nothing

The sad part is, I know there's people with an even more impressive number uninstalled.

I use to have about 90 installed, I've been cleaning them out though...reclaimed about 300GB last week uninstalling games.

As for my PS3...sold it in 2007. Haven't missed it since. The only game I miss was The Show. I bought a Vita last month and now I have a great copy of The Show and can play it anywhere. I'm excited to see that Dungeon Defenders is suppose to come to the Vita...that's one game I have on Steam that I'd love to have on my handheld.

yeah I've got a "futurelog" too, but are you saying you've never bought one of those Indie bundles, never bought anything from a Steam or Black Friday or (in its heyday) Amazon sale? More than half the games in my backlog are more expensive now than when I bought them, it made sense to pick them up at the time even if I wasn't going to get to them immediately.
not really, I just find it hard to justify in my mind. But if a deal so UNDENIABLY good that I absolutely CANNOT pass up comes up, obviously I'll take it, it just happens so rarely.

There are always exceptions but I never reach the point where I have a full out backlog. Like when there is a large steam sale for instance, I don't want everything because it's a great price, I'll just buy what I want. Ends up being 1 game, or 2 MAX. And even that's rare. Like I said, in my mind while I'm currently playing a game I just can't accept buying another game for some reason, I just think, it'll go on sale again or I'll play it eventually...one day. Or I beat the game I'm playing really fast and buy it.

Madao

the closest i've done is selling my N64 backlog. i felt i would never beat several games i got back in the day so i just grouped them together and got a few bucks out of them.

my current backlog appeared mostly because of getting games from good deals and replaying old games a lot.

plc268

There are always exceptions but I never reach the point where I have a full out backlog. Like when there is a large steam sale for instance, I don't want everything because it's a great price, I'll just buy what I want. Ends up being 1 game, or 2 MAX. And even that's rare. Like I said, in my mind while I'm currently playing a game I just can't accept buying another game for some reason, I just think, it'll go on sale again or I'll play it eventually...one day. Or I beat the game I'm playing really fast and buy it.

The main reason why I buy so many PC games on sale is that I'll play just about anything. I like having games there as a rainy day distraction. Also, most of the games were bought at $5-$10 (even the AAA titles), it's not that huge of a deal. Hell, game rentals cost more than that nowadays.

randomkid

Like when there is a large steam sale for instance, I don't want everything because it's a great price, I'll just buy what I want. Ends up being 1 game, or 2 MAX. And even that's rare. Like I said, in my mind while I'm currently playing a game I just can't accept buying another game for some reason, I just think, it'll go on sale again or I'll play it eventually...one day. Or I beat the game I'm playing really fast and buy it.

This is a great attitude to have and yes, I very rarely buy multiple games at once. I'm just saying if you keep an eye out for sales/deals on things that interest you, they are EVERYWHERE. Like some recent examples, I just got Fallout for free from GOG (deal is no longer going on), that's a game I always wanted to try. I found a copy of Contact last month for $5, another one I wanted to play. I'm thinking about getting Yakuza 4 from Newegg for $15, because the price on Yakuza 3 already went up from where it was before. Balancing time is always an issue, but if you're enough of an enthusiast to post on messageboards about videogames, you can't help running into tons of deals for tons of games you want to play.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I'm suspicious of people who post on videogame messageboards and don't have backlogs. Here's a few situations where I can understand how an enthusiast might have no backlog:

Only pays attention to games that are heavily marketed
Only has a single console/handheld
Never pays attention to game sales
Almost never beats games, prefers to dabble for a few hours with every game they buy, low attention span

For the rest of us, the list of awesome games out there available at rock bottom prices is ridiculous. There are people who have certainly lost all sense of self-control and spent ungodly amounts of money on hundreds of games they never intend to play (dcharlie), but those folks are outliers.

As for people who spend more than $20 on games they don't immediately play, I'm on your side there, that's kinda dumb.
Simple answer: I only buy games when/if I'm ready to play them. I also only buy 4 to 6 games a year.

JJD

I gave my 360 away to my little cousin. He loves video games but his family didn't have the money to buy one. Now I want to take it back at least for some weeks since there's so many great XBLA games coming, and there are some already released that I didn't play but want to.

I won't buy a new one, I already bought 3 (lost 2 to RROD).

so you sold your ps3 because you had a big backlog? wtf man, you could have gave it to me.

seriously man, my shit died a year ago it would have been super cool of you to give it to me.

but noooooooo you had too many unplayed games wtf jesus christ this is so stupid

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
How does selling your PS3 get rid of your backlog? That backlog still exists. You still haven't played those games. All you did was give up.

Congratulations on giving up, I guess?

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
so you sold your ps3 because you had a big backlog? wtf man, you could have gave it to me.

seriously man, my shit died a year ago it would have been super cool of you to give it to me.

but noooooooo you had too many unplayed games wtf jesus christ this is so stupid

How does selling your PS3 get rid of your backlog? That backlog still exists. You still haven't played those games. All you did was give up.

The sell your console to rid yourself of backlog, only, not actually getting rid of your backlog curve.

Sweeping the nation 2013.

yeah, right

randomkid

Simple answer: I only buy games when/if I'm ready to play them. I also only buy 4 to 6 games a year.

Well yeah, I was like you before I started reading GAF. I miss those days haha. Now there's just too much awesome stuff out there to ignore, 4-6 doesn't cut it sadly.

Also I remembered that I forgot to count like 8 games from Sega Genesis Collection in my backlog, ugh it's bigger than I thought.

Giving up is an ok way of clearing a backlog. You can´t play everything.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I don't understand "backlog". I don't buy games to have a demanding queue of things I must play.. I buy games to have a selection of titles for any particular mood.

Under that scenario, it's quite possible that I will die without 100%ing some of them, and that's perfectly okay.

The idea of being "compelled" to play games seems nightmarish to me. I can't believe "backlog" theory has so much popular support :p

Top Bottom