• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Cafe Rumor Cafe [Weinerpoop Post 7513]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amir0x

Banned
Caramello said:
Here's a reasonable thought, why couldn't Retro be working on Super Smash Bros? They could certainly pull it off well and there doesn't seem to be very many other teams available to do it.. why not Retro?

leave Retro alone! Stop giving Nintendo new ways to force them to franchise whore :(

ReyVGM

Caramello said:
Here's a reasonable thought, why couldn't Retro be working on Super Smash Bros? They could certainly pull it off well and there doesn't seem to be very many other teams available to do it.. why not Retro?

No.

The rumor (or actual quote?) says it's a game everyone wanted them to do. So that's either Zelda or Star Fox.

Caramello said:
Because they are simply too good to be wasted on something like Smash Bros.
ReyVGM said:
No.

The rumor (or actual quote?) says it's a game everyone wanted them to do. So that's either Zelda or Star Fox.

Super Metroid HD remake?

whitehawk

Banned
If they end up doing flash memory built in + SD card support, wouldn't they at least spring for 16gb onboard memory? I doubt it costs a lot more.

Darryl

Banned
Caramello said:

There's no need for Retro to take over that franchise. HAL Laboratory has been doing it fine (co-developing with Nintendo?) so it doesn't seem very likely that they'll just shove one of their biggest sellers into fresh hands. That series doesn't need a re-visioning quite yet. There's a possibility, but I think it's way more likely that they've decided to do something that plays to their strengths (attention to detail, etc).

GDGF

Soothsayer
ReyVGM said:
No.

I was thinking...couldn't "a game everyone wanted them to do" be pointing to them doing their own game? I've heard "Let Retro do their own game" a lot more than I've heard "Let Retro do Zelda or Starfox".

I really would love a Retro Starfox though.

ReyVGM

GDGF said:
I was thinking...couldn't "a game everyone wanted them to do" be pointing to them doing their own game? I've heard "Let Retro do their own game" a lot more than I've heard "Let Retro do Zelda or Starfox".

I think most people have forgotten if Retro can even do an original IP.

Darryl

Banned
According to Wikipedia, Retro Studios is working on a "Fourth-Persons adventure" called 'The Magic Pen'. LEAK INCOMING?

guek

Banned
Amir0x said:
No matter how fast your drive is, there is always loading and such that would be significantly reduced with installation to the HDD proper. You may choose not to do it for some reason, but the option should definitely be there for people who want to play their games in a superior fashion. And without the ability to rely on it, less developers would do it as is the case with 360.

While there's nothing at all wrong with having the option to have installs, not having that option would make a difference to very few people. YOU, maybe, but the vast overwhelming majority of gamers out there wouldn't bat an eye and would feel no worse off without it.

also for giggles:

251367367_9ZFxu-L-2.jpg

Caramello

ReyVGM said:
No.

I don't believe that rumour, anyone can make up some crap like "a game everyone wants them to do" and say they were right when it ends up being anything at all.

HAL could be working on it but HAL never did it alone, they worked with Monolith Soft and Paon for Brawl for example. That could of course be happening again and would make the most sense if those teams were available.

Personally, I hope Retro are making a brand new IP in the FPS, TPS or action adventure genre. I don't think we'll see what they're working on until next year anyway though.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
As others have said, launching a machine like this with 8gb of memory in a world where they need to compete with Sony and Microsoft on the 'e-store' front would be ludicrously short-sighted. So I hope those predictions are wrong. I expect some crippling decision from Nintendo, however.

Do any current consoles support 'standard' USB external drives? I'm completely out of the loop and I own them!

watershed

Banned
I just thought up of a title for this new console: The Nintendo Legacy.

It has or will have thru VC releases games spanning the entire Nintendo catalog. So a console that covers Nintendo's entire history all in one, and all playable on a semi-portable 6" screen controller via streaming. Compelling no?

Ollie Pooch

artwalknoon said:

It has or will have thru VC releases games spanning the entire Nintendo catalog. So a console that covers Nintendo's entire history all in one, and all playable on a semi-portable 6" screen controller via streaming. Compelling no?
I doubt many people would buy a new console to play old games. I certainly wouldn't.

TSA said:
Not without some form of modding.
Thanks!

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Amir0x said:
So there is no logical argument about whether 8 gigs is proper in this day and age. Designing consoles for the consumers that would spend the least amount of money on your platform anyway is bad enough; doing it for irrational terms makes even less sense since there is no functional bonus of doing it this way. It's bad for consumers and it's bad for developers. Who are you doing this for, exactly?
That much I agree with you - 8GB of total storage would be too low for a game console coming out in 2012. Other than that, I completely disagree. HDDs have just one advantage over SDHC/XC, and that is cost per unit of storage. Everything else is a matter of implementation technicalities and what SD class products people would buy. As long as nintendo are not stupid to put the SD interface on something like a slow-ass USB2 bus, SD cards can be absolutely competitive with HDD speeds - tons of electronic devices that need high transfer speeds use SD cards these days (DSLRs and HD camcoders being among the prime examples). As long as transfer-speed-savvy customers are not stupid and they buy high class SDHC/SDXC cards, the raw speed of the medium will be there. Moreover, nintendo can make sure that the on-board flash is of top-notch performance, so that games can have a guaranteed high-speed caching medium, even if the user did not bother to provide them with one.

Anecdotally, the worst console experience I've had this gen transfer-times-wise was on the ps3 and its over-bloated DRM storage scheme. I must have spent cumulatively hours of staring at mandatory-installation progress bars, 'de-bubbling' of DD content and what not, just to have the games then perform hardly-any-better than from an optical medium. The whole ps3 storage experience was a step back for me in my console-player career. At least on the wii all the wiiware juggling was of bite-sized content. On the ps3 it was a patience-trying exercise. All in all, the mere inclusion of a HDD in a console design can improve jack squat for the end-user experience. And this is without even touching subjects like what should be the proper durability of a game console, etc.

Ollie Pooch

blu said:
That much I agree with you - 8GB of total storage would be too low for a game console coming out in 2012. Other than that, I completely disagree. HDDs have just one advantage over SDHC/XC, and that is cost per unit of storage. Everything else is a matter of implementation technicalities and what SD class products people would buy.
The price difference for the equivalent storage sizes is HUGE, though. Give me a HDD over SD on a console any day. I'm not really fussed about the installation of disc content, but more having space and not juggling cards to download demos, DD games, etc. The very fact that you don't have to purchase an extra SD card for any sizable storage space on the ps3/xbox is an improvement for the end user (over the Wii, that is). I would hope that's the case for this new one, too.

Darryl

Banned
artwalknoon said:

I definitely wouldn't buy a console focused on streaming their past successes.

A subscription-based service that offers streaming their back-catalog would be pretty awesome, though. I hate having to connect/disconnect my NES/N64 whenever friends come over.

Caramello said:
I don't believe that rumour, anyone can make up some crap like "a game everyone wants them to do" and say they were right when it ends up being anything at all.

HAL could be working on it but HAL never did it alone, they worked with Monolith Soft and Paon for Brawl for example. That could of course be happening again and would make the most sense if those teams were available.

Personally, I hope Retro are making a brand new IP in the FPS, TPS or action adventure genre. I don't think we'll see what they're working on until next year anyway though.
I know the first place I read it was on gaf but I'm trying to find the org place ...can't for some reason. It has spread like wild fire and everything says the same thing. o_O

But I also read somewhere that their next project was gonna be at e3 ... IDK where I read that either :/ That would go with the above rumor seeing as it also says that they were among the first with Wii2 dev kits and started working on something right away.

Retro is so strange. I mean, they went from MP to a Side-scrolling DK plateformer and were aces with both. For some reason I simply wouldn't expect a team to be able to take on such different titles and do them so well. I would love to see them take on just about any genre on a HD Nintendo console because I do believe that they are one of those teams that can pull off the things the JPN Nintendo teams just can't or wont do. Thats why I think that if Nintendo were to ever make a GoW/ Bayonette/ DMC level Nintendo action game with OUT doing a "Other M" then I'm sure Retro would be the ones to do it (which is why I want them to be working on something like that!).

I know I would love w/e FPS or DK they can make ... but I would prefer they make something else. Something Nintendo just doesn't have yet.

Black-Wind said:
I know the first place I read it was on gaf but I'm trying to find the org place ...can't for some reason. It has spread like wild fire and everything says the same thing. o_O

But I also read somewhere that their next project was gonna be at e3 ... IDK where I read that either :/ That would go with the above rumor seeing as it also says that they were among the first with Wii2 dev kits and started working on something right away.

http://paulgalenetwork.com/home/201...n-a-project-everyone-wants-us-to-do-on-wii-2/
Retro Studios is hot off a four game win streak thanks to Donkey Kong Country Returns and the Metroid Prime trilogy, but according to them, what they’re working on for Wii’s successor is “a project everyone wants us to do”.

I spoke with two different people at the Austin, Texas based first party developer for Nintendo to see if I could get any more information on the “Wii 2″ which many are calling Project Cafe. Whatever the system’s name ends up being, my sources at Retro Studios said that their company was amongst the very first to receive a development kit and that they’ve been on board developing a new project ever since.

*I've got a time line and links to almost any rumor that has popped up regarding Wii2/Project Cafe here: Rumor Consolidation 2011

That is the list I used to make the recap in the the OP.*

klier

ReyVGM said:
I think most people have forgotten if Retro can even do an original IP.

Because they can't. Like Rareware was, Retro is only where they are because of Nintendo help. Period. Without Nintendo, Retro would suck as much as Rare does now.

Amir0x said:
leave Retro alone! Stop giving Nintendo new ways to force them to franchise whore :(

DKCR is franchise whoring?
if so, it's pretty damn good whoring.

Also, as much as I love Retro and their developed games, I think their games would be nowhere as good without Nintendo's massive supervising

edit: god-fucking-damnit, just sorta beaten in post above :(

BlackNMild2k1 said:
http://paulgalenetwork.com/home/201...n-a-project-everyone-wants-us-to-do-on-wii-2/

*I've got a time line and links to almost any rumor that has popped up regarding Wii2/Project Cafe here: Rumor Consolidation 2011

Thanks! I had hunted it down to his site just a few mins ago :p

I'm guessing this is a creditable person.

Oh, and for the OP ... yeah, I don't trust that woman at all. Good to know gaf thinks she is crap as well :]

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
klier said:
Because they can't. Like Rareware was, Retro is only where they are because of Nintendo help. Period. Without Nintendo, Retro would suck as much as Rare does now.
It would be nice if they made a new IP under Nintendo supervision.

Caramello

BlackNMild2k1 said:

Hmm you know I actually do trust this guy, I thought the rumour came from somebody else :S

Do you have the Wii 2 will not be Dreamcast, it’ll be “the PlayStation 2 of next gen” rumour in that round up?

Jackano

It will be the beginning of the end of Retro if they make the true next-gen Zelda.
It is certainly because of fan conservationism, but it is real and they should handle a storm before actually releasing the game, and then after, it could be difficult to work with that pressure. I'm not confident in any third party, and even more western developers to make a great mainline Zelda game.

But in the other hand, I'm on the strict opposite advice for the other kind of Zelda games, portable or, for Café, a Four Swords game; Just like Flagship/Capcom did it successfully with the Oracle series and Minish Cap.

klier said:

That argument works only if you think Rare sucks now. You don't even have to go that far as what you're suggesting is that Rare has sucked ever since they left Nintendo, which is absurd.

Amir0x

Banned
guek said:
While there's nothing at all wrong with having the option to have installs, not having that option would make a difference to very few people. YOU, maybe, but the vast overwhelming majority of gamers out there wouldn't bat an eye and would feel no worse off without it.

Trying to equate HDD installs of games - something which substantively improves gaming in massive ways - to anything related to that comic is so sad one must shake their head. That is a forced install, and nobody asked for that nor is it a requirement of having an HDD on every system. That's just an example of individual developer making a mistake. After all if you want to be lazy you should be allowed to be lazy.

And in any event, where is your evidence that it would make a difference to "very few people"? Where is your evidence that the "overwhelming majority of gamers out there wouldn't bat an eye?" I certainly know a metric fuckton of gamers who utilize the feature - if you had the choice, who would choose to play with worse loading and worse texture pop-in if you didn't have to? The answer is "no one." That you're advocating laziness (at least, that's what I have to assume you're doing with that comic... there is no other logical defense of the behavior) in the form of certain people not wanting to wait 5 minutes up front in order to receive these benefits is something only worthy of scorn.

Your argument that a company should remain in the stone age - or at least that so few people care (which is of course factually false) and so you should design an inferior console off the lowest common denominator and not include an HDD in order to be able to have developers include a feature which indisputably improves the way a game plays - just strikes me as the sort of awkward defense moding that one sees when people are out of excuses and just head straight to the denial-at-any-cost stage.

blu said:
That much I agree with you - 8GB of total storage would be too low for a game console coming out in 2012. Other than that, I completely disagree. HDDs have just one advantage over SDHC/XC, and that is cost per unit of storage. Everything else is a matter of implementation technicalities and what SD class products people would buy. As long as nintendo are not stupid to put the SD interface on something like a slow-ass USB2 bus, SD cards can be absolutely competitive with HDD speeds - tons of electronic devices that need high transfer speeds use SD cards these days (DSLRs and HD camcoders being among the prime examples). As long as transfer-speed-savvy customers are not stupid and they buy high class SDHC/SDXC cards, the raw speed of the medium will be there. Moreover, nintendo can make sure that the on-board flash is of top-notch performance, so that games can have a guaranteed high-speed caching medium, even if the user did not bother to provide them with one.

So then you don't disagree at all. Let's sit down and read, since reading is important and all that:

Amir0x said:
Now you're straight up lying to support your irrationally thought out perspective. SD cards are factually much slower read/write than the alternatives. The only thing that comes close is the SDXC and those are more expensive to a factor of 3-to-1.

So let's see: pick the right thing and get

1. Cheaper
2. More space
3. Better read/write speeds.

Pick the wrong and you get

1. Substantially slower read/write speeds
or
2. Slightly slower read/write speeds but substantially more expensive.

Yeah, sounds like a good trade off for the "NINTENDO FEEL" and "omg 2% less noise" factor. You're making real strong arguments based on, um, facts and, um, an intellectually honest assessment of the possibilities.

Hahahah, I'm just shitting you. It sounds insane because it is.

So, if they do go with SDXC they get speeds that are ALMOST as good - we're talking only almost as equivalent - at nearly three to four times the price.

What is the benefit I'm looking for exactly? Where is the argument in favor of anything except HDD again?

Oh, wait, gimme a second...

MOVING PARTS AND A 98% FAILURE RATE, NINTENDO FEEL, NOISE REDUCTION OR SOME SUCH SHIT...

blu said:
Anecdotally, the worst console experience I've had this gen transfer-times-wise was on the ps3 and its over-bloated DRM storage scheme. I must have spent cumulatively hours of staring at mandatory-installation progress bars, 'de-bubbling' of DD content and what not, just to have the games then perform hardly-any-better than from an optical medium. The whole ps3 storage experience was a step back for me in my console-player career. At least on the wii all the wiiware juggling was of bite-sized content. On the ps3 it was a patience-trying exercise. All in all, the mere inclusion of a HDD in a console design can improve jack squat for the end-user experience. And this is without even touching subjects like what should be the proper durability of a game console, etc.

Nobody is asking for mandatory installs nor is anyone advocating PSN's method - that is system based problem that doesn't even exist on 360 at all. When 360 allows HDD installs, it's never mandatory. And when you download games on the 360 network, there's no de-bubbling.

These are not issues caused by a HDD. These are issues caused by the rare stupid developer or in the bubbling case Sony's incompetence with infrastructure.

One could have an HDD installed and completely run the thing like Nintendo's hilariously horrible Wii, only all devs would be able to have optional installs for non-lazy people who want to play their games in a factually superior fashion.

8GB is TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO small for the amount of stuff one would download for a console nowadays. 16GB is bearable, but still would require expansion down the track if you're, as McDonald's calls people who eat their food more than twice a week, a heavy user.

There will be SD card expansion, but I would like some kind of HDD support.

I think an important thing to look out for is what kind of multimedia functions the Wii 2 will have. The Wii can technically playback video and music through an SD card an there's streaming Netflix support. I have an 80GB PS3 with a 320GB HDD installed because I can store TV shows and movies on it, while I just have a 60GB 360. Will Nintendo push Wii 2 as a multimedia hub like the PS3 or 360?

I'd love Retro doing a hardcore new iteration of Diddy/Donkey Kong Racing. At this point, I think only Retro could handle such thing.

User Tron

Cheesemeister said:
- System will not launch on or before March 31st, 2012 [NCL]

How does the sentence from the press release imply that won't be release any sooner? Remember that the 3ds was supposed to be released earlier. So Nintendo announced a release time and let it slip. They sure don't want to let that happen that again and omitted the sales from the forecast. But this does not imply the it is set in stone.

Amir0x, you've got the option of installing Wii games to HDD, yet you insist on not taking it. Why? Because you worry about a miniscule chance of failure.
Since there has been no word confirming or denying HDD expansion, this seems like a lot of fuss over nothing right now.

Amir0x

Banned
Graphics Horse said:
Amir0x, you've got the option of installing Wii games to HDD, yet you insist on not taking it. Why? Because you worry about a miniscule chance of failure.

A non-endorsed custom firmware which would junk my warranty is the reason why. Since my Wii has bricked itself twice for doing actually routine things like UPDATING MY SYSTEM FIRMWARE from Nintendo themselves, I don't want to risk literally hundreds of dollars of shit being lost forever by doing it. Trying to equate this to an actually endorsed-and-included-in-every-system option is intellectually dishonest at best, and intentionally misleading at worse.

Graphics Horse said:
Since there has been no word confirming or denying HDD expansion, this seems like a lot of fuss over nothing right now.

We're debating the rumours that are out there. Since this is a rumour thread, I suspect you want to participate in discussion of said rumours. If you have nothing to add to said discussion, then you'd do best to bow out of the thread instead of making commentary like this which serves to lower the level of discourse and just line topics with vapid, meaningless posts.

Feel free to simply skip the posts altogether as well and discuss an entirely different rumour if you want. But we're not going to try to reduce the debate people who actually want to put effort into their posts are having.

klier said:

How insulting to Retro. Absurd.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i just wanna know 'bout the games. i want my mario and my metroid. if there's a hard drive, fine. if there's not, okay. as long as the games are good i don't really care either way.

Amir0x

Banned
i suspect that is why fans love to take abuse... as long as they get their next Mario/Zelda heroin fix they'll take whatever shitty decision comes their way. They just need to have their next fix, mang

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
that's probably true. i guess it's because the time i spend thinking about games in general has been reduced to little pockets, and so i have to prioritize, and really when you bring it down that place the priority which steps up is the quality of the games. i play MARIO GALAXY 2 on wii and i have no issues with the way it performs, so i suppose having a very passionate opinion about being able to install it escapes me.

Amir0x

Banned
Right and obviously some genres benefit much less from installs than others. Mario Galaxy wouldn't make a big difference since Nintendo has the loading in that game pretty well down to a science.

But for other genres, it would make a big difference. Open world games come to mind immediately, but there are many general games that takes 16~30 seconds to load a big level. And so it is necessary for developers to be able to rely on the HDD to know it's there to put the effort into allowing games be installed to it if the gamer chooses to want reduced loading times and less texture pop-in and the like.

Of course, that's on top of the benefits of just having more space at a cheaper value without having to resort to going to fridge access and slower read/write speeds. *shudder*

mclem

klier said:

Doing an original IP != not under Nintendo supervision.

Vagabundo

Maxrunner said:
It makes sense for them to not use HDD, so why not use bigger SD CARD like 32/64 GB...

If they could squeeze in a 64GB card in the first model that would be the bare minium. Then allow usb2 HD expansion. I'd be satisfied and I think 64Gigs (even 32 at a push) would be sufficient for a large amount of gamers.

Amir0x said:
i suspect that is why fans love to take abuse... as long as they get their next Mario/Zelda heroin fix they'll take whatever shitty decision comes their way. They just need to have their next fix, mang

Sure. If a platforms hosts one of my favorite franchises, there are 99% chances that I'll buy it, even if I dislike pretty much everything else about it. However, in that case I won't buy it until I can get it under my own terms - which usually means "for peanuts". I can wait, there's plenty of other games to play until then (granted, it's different with online multiplayer games, but fortunately, I'm not a big fan of online multiplayer).

I always knew I would have to get a PS3 eventually, simply because that's the only way to play Team ICO games. If the next Xbox is not to my liking, I'll still get it one day because of Halo. The same goes for Cafe and Mario.

One console future can't come soon enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom