• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Cafe Rumor Cafe [Weinerpoop Post 7513]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hex said:
I want to day one this when it hits, but I honestly do not know if I will be able to pull the trigger.
After the Wii drought (my most played games are Mario Galaxy 1 and Trauma Center with a dash of Muramasa and Resident Evil), and now the 3DS slow start (after hyping the system on a huge list of dev support) it will all come down to confirmed starting line up I do not care what cute little bells and whistles they pack into it.
If you want to play Nintendo developed games, this should be worth it as it should get major 3rd party support as well as long as it's an easy port from 360 - which it will be if the rumors are true. 3rd party exclusives will probably be a bit thin outside what Nintendo manages to negotiate. It should also be the baseline for the next generation of game consoles. I am very confident in this. MS and Sony will probably come out at the same TDP, but at a smaller process so they'll be marginally more powerful. That's assuming a 2013 or 2014 release. 2015 may allow for an even smaller process, but the generation will be half over by then anyway.

Must resist urge

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Flying_Phoenix said:
People are arguing that it a good idea for Nintendo to go with carts with the N64?

Like good for developers and consumers?

Seriously?

One would hope not. The costs are enormous compared to disc.

Anth0ny

Nintendo needs to put out an "Xbox 360 arcade" like Cafe SKU for $299 or possibly less (8GB flash memory bullshit), and also put out the 120GB HDD model (think 360 Elite) for $399.

Nintendo has always seemed to be against releasing multiple SKUs, but they really need to get with the times. Casuals will pick up the super cheap SKU because, obviously, they don't care about DLC or putting huge amounts of crap on their harddrive.

Dudebros would dismiss the Cafe immediately if they don't include at least one model with a harddrive. I can hear them now: "the fucking piece of shit doesn't even have a harddrive, im not playing cod on that shit"

Maybe I'm completely missing something, but is there a drawback to releasing multiple SKUs? Did it really hurt Microsoft or something?

Big One

Banned
Just want to put it out that there are some screens of supposedly Pikmin 3 and Endless Ocean 3. They're from Emily Rogers though so I doubt they're legit.

Anth0ny said:
Nintendo needs to put out an "Xbox 360 arcade" like Cafe SKU for $299 or possibly less (8GB flash memory bullshit), and also put out the 120GB HDD model (think 360 Elite) for $399.

Nintendo has always seemed to be against releasing multiple SKUs, but they really need to get with the times. Casuals will pick up the super cheap SKU because, obviously, they don't care about DLC or putting huge amounts of crap on their harddrive.

Dudebros would dismiss the Cafe immediately if they don't include at least one model with a harddrive. I hear them now: "the fucking piece of shit doesn't even have a harddrive, im not playing cod on that shit"

Maybe I'm completely missing something, but is there a drawback to releasing multiple SKUs? Did it really hurt Microsoft or something?

This. While I'm not a fan of multiple SKUs, I think this is needed. No harddrive could hurts the N6 a lot.

EDIT:
Big One said:
Just want to put it out that there are some screens of supposedly Pikmin 3 and Endless Ocean 3. They're from Emily Rogers though so I doubt they're legit.

Looks like someone put HUDs over real photos.

Anth0ny said:

Dudebros would dismiss the Cafe immediately if they don't include at least one model with a harddrive. I can hear them now: "the fucking piece of shit doesn't even have a harddrive, im not playing cod on that shit"

I'm torn. With multiple SKUs they've got supply balance issues (although, that may be solved by talking to NPD). The other alternative would be to ship plenty of $100 hard drive accessories.

And it will start at 250gig or 320gig. 120gig hard drive production will have all but ceased by then.

I really do hope that Nintendo will put an actual hard drive in this thing. If the goal is to bring back the hardcore gamers then it's a requirement to have HDD support. Period.

Olaeh

Big One said:

They do look fake.....
But who knows!!?

Too tiny to call... But they're fake regardless.
I mean, if they were third party games, sure. I could believe they were real.
But Nintendo games developed in Japan? Yeah... not gonna happen.

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
Finally we're in fake screenshot territory. I love pre-E3.

edit: lol PHOTOREALISM with Saturday morning cartoon-like HUDs

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Big One said:

Well, this is the rumor thread so this is the place for them.

They look like real photos with HUD/character elements pasted in.

That sure would be fantastic if actual Cafe games looked like that.

yea, how is a random industry fucker going to get her hands on a game that's developed by a company who is known to kill leakers? I don't even know why she tries

Hiltz

I hope Nintendo doesn't release a handful of different SKUs. This generation felt like a mess after Microsoft and Sony kept releasing and swapping out different ones. With that said, a basic version and a full-package version would be fine. Anything more than that and consumers are just going to be confused.

Hiltz said:
I hope Nintendo doesn't release a handful of different SKUs. This generation felt like a mess after Microsoft and Sony kept releasing and swapping out different ones. With that said, a basic version and a full-package version would be fine. Anything more than that and consumers are just going to be confused.
A version with and a version without a hard drive. No other differences than that please. Include a multi-RCA cable and an HDMI cable too please.

guek

Banned
Error Macro said:
They look like real photos with HUD/character elements pasted in.

That sure would be fantastic if actual Cafe games looked like that.

not only that, but the huds and the characters look pretty shoddy. where is there so much detail in the coral but not the diver? obviously the cafe is less powerful than the wii if it can't do both at the same time.

guek said:
not only that, but the huds and the characters look pretty shoddy. where is there so much detail in the coral but not the diver? obviously the cafe is less powerful than the wii if it can't do both at the same time.

Yeah. Here's EO2 for reference:
endless-ocean-2-blue-world-coin-locations-guide-screenshot.jpg

Even as small as that fake picture is, the model on the diver is considerably worse.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Who would port The Last Story to cafe anyway? Marvelous AQL? Would Nintendo do it them-selves?

Hiltz

AlphaDream doesn't appear to have any experience with working on home consoles. So I doubt it would handle the development of Mario & Luigi RPG franchise on Project Cafe.

Hiltz said:
AlphaDream doesn't appear to have any experience with working on home consoles. So I doubt it would handle the development of Mario & Luigi RPG franchise on Project Cafe.

Well duh...
Retro would make it!

Full fucking circle!

Hiltz said:

Intellegent Systems. and Alpha Dream makes Paper Mario 3DS

Instro

Hiltz said:
Retro's gotta make Starfox first.

Considering most fans of the series want the next game to be a high quality on rails game like the SNES and 64 entries, I dont see why Retro would need to be involved to make it. Treasure would clearly be better suited for that. Unless they plan to completley reinvent Star Fox, Retro should be working on a new IP or reviving some other old franchise.

BlueMagic

So what are the chances of the new system playing wii games @ 720p/1080p? Technically, it's not impossible, but do you think there's the slightest chance of it happening?. It should be the big surprise.

BlueMagic said:
So what are the chances of the new system playing wii games @ 720p/1080p? Technically, it's not impossible, but do you think there's the slightest chance of it happening?. It should be the big surprise.

I don't know. I wouldn't expect it though

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
BlueMagic said:

Scaled? Why not?

BlueMagic said:

Upscale? Probably.

Native resolution? -1%

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Big One said:
Ahahahaha, those are the worst fakes I've seen since the Revolution mock-up days.

Plinko said:
One would hope not. The costs are enormous compared to disc.

Its like comparing a 6 GB SSD to a 250GB HDD.

Yes the SSD has clear advantages but the giant elephant of lacking passable storage space still stares you in the face.

The only advantages carts gave was that they were much faster and they forced developers to develop actual 3D games instead of pre-rendered background bullshit.

The Nintendo 64 was a beast of a system in which the lack of RAM, texture memory, and a spacious storage medium, gave it a bottleneck so strong it practically chocked the life out of it.

If those things were sorted out then experiences like Conker's Bad Fur Day, but with a steady framerate, would be the norm. I can't think of another mainstream system that had such horrible bottlenecks.

BlueMagic said:
Why, exactly?

Consoles are meant to provide a stable environment with an system architecture that remains constant. Thus, games are designed around this architecture, and expects the performance to remain consistent.

Changing the native resolution also means changing how the system behaves. Suddenly, a game that expects to have at best 480p is now rendering at 1080p. Textures and assets suddenly look weird! Graphical glitches galore! Even if Nintendo uses a lot of material that can be rendered nicely into 1080p, the Dolphin emulator still messes up occasionally.

tl;dr - it's going to break things.

BlueMagic

InsaneZero said:
Consoles are meant to provide a stable environment with an system architecture that remains constant. Thus, games are designed around this architecture, and expects the performance to remain consistent.

Changing the native resolution also means changing how the system behaves. Suddenly, a game that expects to have at best 480p is now rendering at 1080p. Textures and assets suddenly look weird! Graphical glitches galore! Even if Nintendo uses a lot of material that can be rendered nicely into 1080p, the Dolphin emulator still messes up occasionally.

tl;dr - it's going to break things.

Yeah, this was as good as I could figure, but since they are working with their own hardware I guessed that there still was a chance. Well, at least we'll get HD collections, thanks for reminding me.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Those leaked screenshot look dreadfully fake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom