• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

HTupolev

Hilarious part is that modern geometry rigid bikes would make mincemeat of those courses. They're buttery smooth compared to what you see people riding on now.
Components would be a huge part of the difference. Tubeless tires, good brakes... but I feel like what really could have helped the folks in that video are some dropper posts.

I don't want to know how it actually expressed itself because in my head it's achieving Ferris Bueller's goal.
Unfortunately, it wasn't quite that exciting.

The spoke with the magnet was on the opposite side, putting it too far from the sensor on the fork blade. Sensor just wasn't picking up any rotations.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Components would be a huge part of the difference. Tubeless tires, good brakes... but I feel like what really could have helped the folks in that video are some dropper posts.

Unfortunately, it wasn't quite that exciting.

The spoke with the magnet was on the opposite side, putting it too far from the sensor on the fork blade. Sensor just wasn't picking up any rotations.

I did this an amazing number of times considering I had disc brakes on this one bike, but eventually I switched to a GPS garmin and never looked back. Screw you, magnets.

I have a bike with disc brakes and quick release wheels. It's a lethal combo for brake rubbing.

What's the quick and easy "best practice" way to recalibrate the brakes whenever I notice rubbing? Right now I take the wheel out, shove some folded up paper (folded until it's thicker than the disc) in between the brake pads, and squeeze the brakes to reset to a wider position.

Am I doing it right?

I almost never get brake rubbing, so I'd argue you might be better off spending your time getting your caliper position right.

You can put a bit of cardboard either side of the disc and get much the same effect as removing the wheel and doing it though.

Karish

Wife and I are looking to upgrade from our Critical Cycles Harpers. We would looking for something mostly for road / commuting / workout but if there's truly a great hybrid out there that would allow us to try a bit of mountain biking (literally have never done it) I would curious to know.

In the LA area, so if anyone knows a good bike shop or deals or whatever, let me know. Leaning towards going used but could be convinced to go new. I enjoyed the simplicity of a single-speed bike but if there's a compromise out there for more versatility while also still being good and light, let me know.

Thanks in advance!

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Cycling while texting... Why is this a thing? People take too much for granted. :S While cycling infrastructure is a good thing overall, some times I think I felt more comfortable riding alongside cars back at my home town.

thomaser

Going to Italy on Thursday for a week of cycling and hiking in the Abruzzo region. Will probably get a chance to tackle the Muro di Guardiagrele-climb, which is not very long, but very, very steep. And there will be lots and lots of gelato, which I will attack most ferociously.

I'm back, and... I couldn't go up that darn hill. But almost. Was stupid and tried powering up straight, but started sliding backwards at the steepest part (36% according to Garmin) and had to capitulate and walk up to a bend. Zig-zagged my way up the rest, at an impressive 4 km/h. One day, I'll return and zig-zag up all of it.

gBCgyWhQ9h1olrURL08hvvzLBYAzqTmypiDMdQnNMkUQRzQq9EPTJZigZYOQzD1EeI7f4b_5oCwA_RKXVFAJArjUdUZcyktsfd4F0nQMC8t7Gz3RRFg-jk-qr1qE23jS_JllbmUE0qSHYHRpvsovIDMdOCEaIFaf1DJ0ubo8pTyrFJCqt6_IX8NhY6z1JkmlonyC3dopWra_vZmwzBN77nzDnO3SQjd0tV47O5Er1wSI8wm-x_YvDgO2iAn8QJnRnHAsmOln6Dxz8oNeSp2Cc15ag4VeYJFeo5Y02X75vNVgNC_S3xySqA2jA2it9p_tT2U7MFOM5w6hKoX18wZarfXG28AHO28aGlXF5r7bEdKjTYKTlkvXqhC4NhgFYJ4pK2oiz6Hdb6vVi9T-uKze67YeETQdG2lHpuPsl043tTE4eMBGTxNAaStLNEI4zCMGp2X9EMJj-KgA7SJfc6f8T1LrEQl50_9q-qCXeAWZhBq9od02hDjFD82yVg91dM5EnwP86lw8KdWeqcQkncp7FcPqNgouesgBTg1rO0lC-Kg8VRcPH9J6s5Eb46KDkYv4q48Nsaxaa6PdMY91LdRD6X8wUd-JH9R61vzwUawdDoAoB33X=w694-h925-no

Standing halfway up, trying to start up again. This was the easy part. The hard part is at the start. I didn't take photos of it, but just picture a tarmac-y wall in your mind and you'll have a pretty good idea.

JbMebMQpXCZCM_Rb3FgZOGMj_OG4tRf5Dz3N2wDXSnlEKmz3uVv8e1PlvRQx49W-WnzWQ6-wEesBPH77n8_-xPvo8xp0gkntdjgF1aLE_zgseAwr0k8sb3HYN0AXmGIZgFMUv81lAXepDdv2qz9RR-U4HVELYF3LYEbQ8kC_qgqJz_msX_Os921Rv3gygc_M_kWTZo2Pr6kP6iTerSwiLvkTwcqsFuLEe1cjRN-O2I5068aQJxq2ziGyENskr7UpeqIdyAD157PAN_Dq47inqoW5d1EP7O0afSkUdsksmuDi88XffbmVqQ7icFWIMzvOKqbeM_ZGIP0mwuDcFAJu3hyZZhCmDEkO37DOMPPR3cf257MIwvwahRfyuoVUiMJAzujEaTsenj87hmhx9c0Fr1SGm7E22jc2IOaYU8olclf-IjNWzBWqHaYtp-FGrxtZaW9oEDWqViRzKinp9tieZ1EO5Iz8qG7ZFmbBzKhr1eBlpSBSJ4zeVE68pVfgRQf9UevezcF2WUxFqFoJtbHh921wdQjimZKt__gmQsePVDTizA6UElWU1BI3ekMyiyhCcUHEndMYf5Cejzf0cpUjtF4CZH43OzhsLVuq7j4R2OG8qd7xVFnZ=w960-h720-no

Looking down from the top.

Edit: This is not my video, but it captures my experience pretty well.

frontieruk

Have to love my mates... We couldn't decide on a 30km or 50km route so this was settled on, will be my first century since breaking my back.

img_0847oyuy9.png

Karish

Someone on craigslist selling Specialized Sirrus for $250 on craiglist. 2012 model.

Good deal? Good upgrade from my Critical cycles Harper?

Stinkles

Someone on craigslist selling Specialized Sirrus for $250 on craiglist. 2012 model.

Good deal? Good upgrade from my Critical cycles Harper?

Not bad but if you want to do light trail riding you'll need to switch to knobby tires - I believe sirrus is set up with 27 wheels? Also to your hybrid question I've ridden hybrids for 15 years and they're up to almost any mild off-road with the right tires. I have ridden mostly trek and Gary fisher because I like their geometry. Trek fx series is fantastic and great for long road and light trails.

If you plan any serious downhill riding a hybrid would be stretched and I wouldn't recommend.

And ignore the hybrid naysayers.

kottila

I'm back, and... I couldn't go up that darn hill. But almost. Was stupid and tried powering up straight, but started sliding backwards at the steepest part (36% according to Garmin) and had to capitulate and walk up to a bend. Zig-zagged my way up the rest, at an impressive 4 km/h. One day, I'll return and zig-zag up all of it.

gBCgyWhQ9h1olrURL08hvvzLBYAzqTmypiDMdQnNMkUQRzQq9EPTJZigZYOQzD1EeI7f4b_5oCwA_RKXVFAJArjUdUZcyktsfd4F0nQMC8t7Gz3RRFg-jk-qr1qE23jS_JllbmUE0qSHYHRpvsovIDMdOCEaIFaf1DJ0ubo8pTyrFJCqt6_IX8NhY6z1JkmlonyC3dopWra_vZmwzBN77nzDnO3SQjd0tV47O5Er1wSI8wm-x_YvDgO2iAn8QJnRnHAsmOln6Dxz8oNeSp2Cc15ag4VeYJFeo5Y02X75vNVgNC_S3xySqA2jA2it9p_tT2U7MFOM5w6hKoX18wZarfXG28AHO28aGlXF5r7bEdKjTYKTlkvXqhC4NhgFYJ4pK2oiz6Hdb6vVi9T-uKze67YeETQdG2lHpuPsl043tTE4eMBGTxNAaStLNEI4zCMGp2X9EMJj-KgA7SJfc6f8T1LrEQl50_9q-qCXeAWZhBq9od02hDjFD82yVg91dM5EnwP86lw8KdWeqcQkncp7FcPqNgouesgBTg1rO0lC-Kg8VRcPH9J6s5Eb46KDkYv4q48Nsaxaa6PdMY91LdRD6X8wUd-JH9R61vzwUawdDoAoB33X=w694-h925-no

Standing halfway up, trying to start up again. This was the easy part. The hard part is at the start. I didn't take photos of it, but just picture a tarmac-y wall in your mind and you'll have a pretty good idea.

JbMebMQpXCZCM_Rb3FgZOGMj_OG4tRf5Dz3N2wDXSnlEKmz3uVv8e1PlvRQx49W-WnzWQ6-wEesBPH77n8_-xPvo8xp0gkntdjgF1aLE_zgseAwr0k8sb3HYN0AXmGIZgFMUv81lAXepDdv2qz9RR-U4HVELYF3LYEbQ8kC_qgqJz_msX_Os921Rv3gygc_M_kWTZo2Pr6kP6iTerSwiLvkTwcqsFuLEe1cjRN-O2I5068aQJxq2ziGyENskr7UpeqIdyAD157PAN_Dq47inqoW5d1EP7O0afSkUdsksmuDi88XffbmVqQ7icFWIMzvOKqbeM_ZGIP0mwuDcFAJu3hyZZhCmDEkO37DOMPPR3cf257MIwvwahRfyuoVUiMJAzujEaTsenj87hmhx9c0Fr1SGm7E22jc2IOaYU8olclf-IjNWzBWqHaYtp-FGrxtZaW9oEDWqViRzKinp9tieZ1EO5Iz8qG7ZFmbBzKhr1eBlpSBSJ4zeVE68pVfgRQf9UevezcF2WUxFqFoJtbHh921wdQjimZKt__gmQsePVDTizA6UElWU1BI3ekMyiyhCcUHEndMYf5Cejzf0cpUjtF4CZH43OzhsLVuq7j4R2OG8qd7xVFnZ=w960-h720-no

Looking down from the top.

Edit: This is not my video, but it captures my experience pretty well.

They rode it in Tirreno - adriatico a few years back. Many of the pros were zigzagging up the steepest parts https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RZdVg4ma3PU

T8SC

Whoever invented chamois cream needs a medal, it was required on my 212 mile (341km) ride today, I'd be chafed to bits now if not for that stuff, even with my Castelli Progetto x2 pad. I use the Muc-Off stuff. Heard the Assos & Butt'r creams are also good though.

Whoever invented chamois cream needs a medal, it was required on my 212 mile (341km) ride today, I'd be chafed to bits now if not for that stuff, even with my Castelli Progetto x2 pad. I use the Muc-Off stuff. Heard the Assos & Butt'r creams are also good though.

I have Assos and Butt'r. I'll use Assos on shorter rides as it doesn't last as long, to me, compared to Butt'r. The only downside to Butt'r is it can feel a little glidey slippery over the course of a long ride.

All right, project Colnago is on. Dura-Ace downtube shifters and a 10 speed 105 rear derailleur are on their way. While I wait for them, I'll need to pry off the old BB and put in a new headset. I think I'll let the bike shop take care of those, because campy specific tools are super expensive and so are headset tools. Then it's just a question of what crankset to go with.

T8SC

I have Assos and Butt'r. I'll use Assos on shorter rides as it doesn't last as long, to me, compared to Butt'r. The only downside to Butt'r is it can feel a little glidey slippery over the course of a long ride.

I'll give Butt'r a go next time. The Muc-Off stuff is good but always worth trying others. I'd not use it on a short ride (under 75 mile) so maybe I'll not bother with Assos. Though I'm fancying a new pair of bibs and Assos are on my list of options for those.

I'll give Butt'r a go next time. The Muc-Off stuff is good but always worth trying others. I'd not use it on a short ride (under 75 mile) so maybe I'll not bother with Assos. Though I'm fancying a new pair of bibs and Assos are on my list of options for those.

I only use it on 75+ rides or if I have a saddle sore. I like the butt'r because you can feel it and tell it's there, but like I said it's a little too on the jelly side. So sometimes it can feel like you're sliding in the bibs. The only time I thought "I wish I had more" was when I did 120+ miles / 7+ hours in the saddle.

Mascot

Don't try to brute force your way through one of the UK's hardest endurance MTB events when you're sick kids. Went from 95%, to 80% to 60% to (and I'm not exaggerating) barely being able to push up some of the hills. What a mess.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1065426959
https://www.strava.com/activities/1065426824

I'm glad I got it done, but I really hope I've not set back my training too much doing it.

I thought the pain, and the suffering, and the expense, and the mental anguish, and the bike damage, and the self-flagellation, and the blisters, and the chafing, and the knob-rot... I thought these were the whole point of it for you?

:p

Stinkles

If I just want a very nice ride, what do you guys recommend: Mountain, road or hybrid?

If you want something with a comfortable safer riding position that can handle gravel trails and the occasional century then get a hybrid. Trek FX, Specialized or Marin. Scott makes some nice ones.

Senger

I only use it on 75+ rides or if I have a saddle sore. I like the butt'r because you can feel it and tell it's there, but like I said it's a little too on the jelly side. So sometimes it can feel like you're sliding in the bibs. The only time I thought "I wish I had more" was when I did 120+ miles / 7+ hours in the saddle.

For a cheaper alternative I use Queen Helene Cocoa Butter Cream. $5 for a tub from Walmart.

If I just want a very nice ride, what do you guys recommend: Mountain, road or hybrid?

Fully rigid mtb if you want a straight handlebar, cyclocrosser/gravel bike if curly wurly bars are your thing. Basically straight gives you more control in difficult conditions while curly wurly bars enable you to ride longer in comfort.

teepo

In Boulder shopping around for my first road bike. Trying to decide if a Specialized Roubaix Sport is worth it...

i dropped close to 3k on my first proper road bike and have zero regrets

but i also knew i had become addicted to road cycling the second i put road tires on my sscx bike

Draper

i dropped close to 3k on my first proper road bike and have zero regrets

but i also knew i had become addicted to road cycling the second i put road tires on my sscx bike

I can't decide! I test rode it and it um, it kinda hurt my gooch area. Also the appearance is rather bland (matte black with a little red), but price wise at 1600, it seems like a decent bike.

Saddles are an extremely personal thing, and you need prolonged testing to figure out what is actually good. Just negotiate a deal where you can change your saddle if need be and you're good to go.

I strongly disagree on the blandness of matte black bikes, but go for what you think looks best. I have a fluoro green road bike with matching jersey.

It just looks badass, especially with red accents. It also says your bike is expensive. ;)

My wife's Roubaix is matte black, it makes my much older Roubaix in dark blue look pedestrian and mediocre (although I like my more recent Ultegra groupset better than her SRAM).

I'm looking at possibly getting a Surly Long Haul Trucker for some gravel/carriage road riding up in the national and state parks. Any good reading or anecdotes out there for someone looking into this? I see a lot of posting around 08/09 on it and its all around excellent performance, but curious if it's still held in similarly high esteem or everyone has moved on to something else.

Top Bottom