• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

Alcander

Thanks guys! I'll look into tires. The advice my cycling friend gave was to just save up / sell the old bike towards a complete new kit, which seems sensible as well.

Addnan

Not sure I would sell and upgrade entirely if you are happy with it especially. Would need a sizeable budget to be worth that.

Alcander

Yeah, I don't know enough to be able to calibrate a reasonable budget. Prices seem all over the place. I'll look into incremental upgrades for the moment.

Teggy

My 2 TrainerRoad exercises this week were 1 hr with 7-8 minute sweet spot intervals. I managed that ok with some extra 30 second breaks during the cooldowns to relieve my butt.

The Saturday exercise was 1.5 hours with 3 20 minute sweet spot intervals. I managed the first one, but I knew another, much less two more, was going to be a problem. I got to 45 minutes, which was 5 minutes into the second interval, and decided I needed to call it.

How should I handle this going forward? Do you think I should redo the week and see if I have made some gains? Should I redo my FTP test and start over? I had originally started this program a number of weeks back and was doing fine but was interrupted for a month by travel/illness and when I tried to start back up I didn't have the same endurance. I did the same exercise a few times, building from 30-45-60 minutes, and when I was able to do 60 minutes again I started the program back up.

Yeah, I don't know enough to be able to calibrate a reasonable budget. Prices seem all over the place. I'll look into incremental upgrades for the moment.

There's a point where buying upgrades stops making sense. For some that could be with a whole new drive train, which really is all you'd likely gain by buying a new bike. You're not going to see much in total bike especially if just move to another aluminum bike. You could drop money on getting all nice high end stuff but then you need to ask if that makes sense on a 1200 bike that you may never race on.

Addnan

First time you ride carbon rim brakes down a descent it should not peak at -14% because you will be terrified for your life.

T8SC

Serious case of lead legs going on tonight. Came first in the race though so surely it's worth it. Think I'll do an easy recovery ride tomorrow, meant to be racing again on Tuesday.

Struggling to gel with the new bike. Part of it is that I can't go all out because I'm worried about injury before Leadville. I think another big part of it is that these new pedals just aren't working for me.

WEGGLES

Went to the local bike shop to grab a 2017 Specialized Allez E5 Sport. Left with a 2016 Specialized Allez DSW Elite for only $80 more than I would've paid for the 2017 model. Pretty pleased about that. They said the jump from Sora to Tiagra was a meaningful bump up.

Quite an upgrade from my 2013 Crosstrail Disc. Between losing the front suspension and the lighter bike/skinnier tires it should be quite a bit quicker :).

They gotta tune it up, and then Tuesday I'm going in to be fitted on it. Can not wait!

Franziska

One more flat later, I've decided to buy puncture resistant tyres.

Recommendations? <AU$150, biking through road, construction sites and park. Size: 700x32c.

Some research later, Schwalbe Marathon Plus and Touring GreenGuard seem to be the most highly rated. The former costs me ~$140 and the latter ~$60. Are these good, and is the price difference for the Plus worth it?

Mascot

Struggling to gel with the new bike. Part of it is that I can't go all out because I'm worried about injury before Leadville. I think another big part of it is that these new pedals just aren't working for me.

If you weren't such a short-arse I might have taken it off your hands.
:p

ShapeGSX

I am having the worst time finding a saddle that works for me on my 2016 Giant TCR.

My Giant saddle on my last bike actually worked well enough, except it didn't have a channel cutout, which led to some numbness, and that kind of scared me.

I have tried the Specialized Romin Evo. That one hit the backs of my legs as I pedaled. Seems that flat saddles are for me.

I tried the Fizik Ardea VS MG. That has a channel, but was very uncomfortable.

I tried the 2017 Specialized Toupe Expert Gel, which was comfortable (it is very flexible, but not a lot of padding) until I rode a time trial with it. I experienced some horrible pain while using my aero bars in the last 4 miles or so while leaning forward on the bars. I assumed the channel wasn't wide enough.

So I tried the Specialized Power Expert, since it is a cross between a TT saddle with no nose, and a road saddle. But after a 70mi ride yesterday, I know this saddle is not for me.This one also hits the back of my legs, and the extra pressure on my sit bones from the wide cutout was not comfortable at all.

I have tried most of these saddles at various angles from level to +/- 1 or 2 degrees.

I've looked at the Selle SMP saddles, but OMG they are ugly. Why all the stitching? I'm not sure I can put one of those on my bike. :)

I think I may actually buy the Giant saddle my bike was supposed to come with and see if that helps. The previous owner of my bike had a Fizik Aliante on it. No channel on the Aliante. But I may throw it on just to see how it is. It's ridiculously light, as it was the full carbon model.

I think I'm better off with a flat style saddle to keep the backs of my legs from hitting it.

I guess I'm looking for advice since nothing seems to be working out for me. I need it to work well mainly for group rides, but also hopefully it can work well for a 10 mile TT without wrecking me.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Riding my new Trek MTB down a steep hill on its maiden voyage. Doing about 40mph. Feels steady. Good positioning. Clear road. Squeezing disc brakes lightly, heavy back, light front- and - PWOOOOPP!!! lost all tension on front and watched hydraulic fluid spray out on the ground. Luckily back brake sufficed to stop me before hurling into traffic.

Bike is literally brand new - the shop should take care of that for free, right?

ShapeGSX

I'm not sure if this is the case with bicycle brake fluid, but car brake fluid will strip paint. I would wash that brake fluid off the bike ASAP, if you haven't already.

Mascot

I'm not sure if this is the case with bicycle brake fluid, but car brake fluid will strip paint. I would wash that brake fluid off the bike ASAP, if you haven't already.
It is indeed the case. My Pikes have got a lovely ulcer on them from a bad brake bleed.

Stinkles

They fixed it already. Badly tightened unit. Cleaned, replaced, sorted.

ShapeGSX, I'm on mobile but I'll write up a proper response when I get back on a computer. Ive been trying to find the ideal saddle over the last year and have gone through some variations. I can talk to some of your points, give advice especially etc

Laekon

Depends on the brand. Avid/SRAM uses DOT fluid like a car. Shimano and Magura use mineral oil.

I am having the worst time finding a saddle that works for me on my 2016 Giant TCR.

My Giant saddle on my last bike actually worked well enough, except it didn't have a channel cutout, which led to some numbness, and that kind of scared me.

I would start by looking up the saddle that was on the TCR and getting all the specs, especially width and length

I have tried the Specialized Romin Evo. That one hit the backs of my legs as I pedaled. Seems that flat saddles are for me.

I tried a Romin for a week and really liked the ergonomics but I never felt fully centered on it. This was problematic because of the width of the channel.

I tried the Fizik Ardea VS MG. That has a channel, but was very uncomfortable.

I can't speak to this one

I tried the 2017 Specialized Toupe Expert Gel, which was comfortable (it is very flexible, but not a lot of padding) until I rode a time trial with it. I experienced some horrible pain while using my aero bars in the last 4 miles or so while leaning forward on the bars. I assumed the channel wasn't wide enough.

A lot of people either love the Toupe or love the Romin. So this may have just been a positioning thing

So I tried the Specialized Power Expert, since it is a cross between a TT saddle with no nose, and a road saddle. But after a 70mi ride yesterday, I know this saddle is not for me.This one also hits the back of my legs, and the extra pressure on my sit bones from the wide cutout was not comfortable at all.

The two people I know who ride a Power love it but both agree it can be really bothersome on longer rides. Also bear in mind the channel on this one is a lot bigger. I think these are meant more for in the droops, on the "rivet" kind of riders.

In addition to these I have ridden a Brooks Cambium C15, Fizik Aliante, Fabric Scoop Shallow & Flat and am currently demoing a Specialized Phenom. Here's what I can offer on these:

Cambium: REALLY comfortable if you're set up perfectly on it, but if you're running into issues on leaning over than this will bother you like it did me on longer rides. This would be my ideal saddle on a town/cruiser set up

Aliante: I have a love hate with this seat. At times it's been butter under me and others it's been problematic. No matter what the nose has always bothered me even though it's shaped like a Romin and Phenom. I think overall it was just a hair to narrow for me and when I'd slide forward it couldn't support me.

Scoops: The shallow is absolutely perfect for me on my mountain bike, but I couldn't get comfortable on my road bike. The flat I was almost certain would work, but I would get some rubbing on it because of just how flat it is (more on this later)

Phenom: I think this is going to be it, but I need more time on it to be sure. It has a channel which I've determined I need, it's shaped and it has the right curvature on the side. I just to spend some time on it get it perfectly dialed to know. I did 3-4 hours on it this weekend and hit some numbness on my sit bones but this is 100% to be expected on any new saddle set up.

Some tips:
Above all else make sure you know your sit bone width. As I said if the saddle that came with your bike would be a good gauge to help.

Also pay attention to the shape of the saddle. Look up T-shaped and Pear shaped saddles. This will help guide you into the shape you need, also note the curve of the saddle at it's widdest. For me I need something like the aliante or romin/phenom where it's gradual taper on width but then sharp curve.

If you're rubbing I suspect you're on a seat that is too wide or too flat. I had this problem with the Scoop Flat because it's a much flatter profile than the Aliante. Look at top down shots and rear view images of the two on google and you'll see what I mean.

Also make sure you're measuring everything, not just it being level. All seats have different stacks and lengths which will alter the placement.

This also means you're leveling the saddles based on the right spot. Each saddle can be different so do some searching on your particular one to see what people have based it on. Fizik has a video on YouTube explaining theirs.

Above all else all our asses our unique snowflakes and nothing we all recommend in a seat may work for you. If you have a place close with a saddle test program just use them. Give yourself a week with a solid 4-6 hours in the saddle.

ShapeGSX

Thank you for that post. Tons of great info. I actually threw the Fizik Aliante R3 carbon on the bike tonight for a 23mi ride and it felt really odd at first. Like I would slide off in either directionn since it is so curved. It wasn't painful though. By the end of the ride it still felt great. I saw that Fizik leveling video today and then promptly forgot it when I installed it.

I just wonder if the lack of a channel is going to cause an issue with numbness. Particularly when I'm on my aero bars in a TT. But frankly I haven't had a lot of luck with saddles with a channel so far.

The Aliante is ridiculously light. 188g So it has that going for it.

Is this a TT specific bike? If it is have you considered buying a TT saddle since why're designed around that flat profile.

Also might be worth getting a fit re-evaluated. If you got stronger or mor flexible it may have thrown you off.

You can definitely pick up on these as you ride based on pressure and tension. I was too high up after my shoe switch so my hand and shoulders were bearing a ton of load. And because I dropped my seat I then had to fidget with fore aft a cm and leveling.

If you're rocking just try pedaling really slow and pay attention to your hips. The Aliante is a taller saddle than the Specialized by a few mm so you may just be a hair to high. I wish I could get mine comfortable again because it by far feels the nicest on my bum.

Good luck

ShapeGSX

Is this a TT specific bike? If it is have you considered buying a TT saddle since why're designed around that flat profile.

Also might be worth getting a fit re-evaluated. If you got stronger or mor flexible it may have thrown you off.

You can definitely pick up on these as you ride based on pressure and tension. I was too high up after my shoe switch so my hand and shoulders were bearing a ton of load. And because I dropped my seat I then had to fidget with fore aft a cm and leveling.

If you're rocking just try pedaling really slow and pay attention to your hips. The Aliante is a taller saddle than the Specialized by a few mm so you may just be a hair to high. I wish I could get mine comfortable again because it by far feels the nicest on my bum.

Good luck

No, it's a 2016 Giant TCR. All I'm doing right now is a weekly local 9.2mi TT. So, 95% of my riding is without the aero bars (Profile Design T3+). So I don't really want a TT saddle.

I may buy a 2nd seatpost and a TT saddle at some point, but at $140 for the seatpost, it's an expensive proposition. But it would be the quickest way to swap it, even though the thought of torquing the seatpost clamp in carbon fiber weekly kind of scares me. :-/

I had not gotten a fit yet because I haven't yet found a saddle I want to stick with. I know it's a bit of a chicken and egg issue. I have been using an app for my phone called BikeFastFit, which uses yellow dots you put on your joints to show you leg and arm angles, and KOPS distance, etc... (see photo below) But that's only temporary until I can get a saddle I like and can get a fitting done. There is a local shop with a Guru machine (with a Kinect sensor) that I'd like to try.

I'll try the app with the aero bars next and see if there is anything I need to do there. I do feel a bit like my thighs are crowding my chest.

Bike Fast Fit by shapegsx, on Flickr

BFF by shapegsx, on Flickr

I used bikefast fit too when I swapped out my pedals. I just had the points off on my hip joint which is what made my hip angle off. I think they're a good starting point and honestly there's a point of diminishing returns on fit where you just have to say fuck it.

To me those images have you looking right, but there are so many factors that go into fit. Ideally someone takes measures of legs, arms, torso, etc and flexibility before putting you on a bike.

Huge caveat though: Every fitter will prefer something different

29ers are strange. I felt properly slow at the trail today, but every single segment was a PR (which I've never had happen before).

Turning is glacial, it feels like I need to start a good distance before the corner. Take it out of the sharp stuff though and it's like a rocket.

Stinkles

Went for late evening cruise around trails near my in-laws house and discovered this:

734GaIw.jpg

I ALSO discovered that an MTB is not a BMX and tabletops are to be hopped, not ridden over at high speed, bottoming out your crankshaft while clipped into pedals, while being 46 years old.

Hilarious part is that modern geometry rigid bikes would make mincemeat of those courses. They're buttery smooth compared to what you see people riding on now.

Top Bottom