• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT13| Ixalan - Port to Sideboard

Justin

Seems like it's in there so people can cast expensive dinosaurs (and potentially durdle) in a limited format with tribal synergies that naturally reward aggression.

Both of the spoiled common explore cards are strong enough that they'll never be cut from an aggressive deck, but I'm guessing we'll see a bunch of 1/3s and 2/4s with explore by the time we get the full spoiler.

They could also make more sense in some +1/+1 counters matters constructed decks. There should still be around 10-12 merfolk and 10-12 vampire creatures we haven't seen so there is a chance there is still some cool explore stuff we haven't seen yet.

Ooh! Angrath is a Minotaur Planeswalker that uses red-hot chains.

c4rd4r7_weXjTsUDCD.jpg

I really hope we get him in Rivals, he could be the RB planeswalker.

What a boss.

Assuming a pack is 30 gold, I'd be happy with anywhere from 10-15 per physical booster.

From listening to that Limited Podcast with Ryan Spain, it sounds like Arena is the logical evolution of Duels. My bet is that the currency pricing is similar: 150 for a Booster, Quests give you anywhere from 60-120 Gold and you can stack up to 3 per day, gaining one per day.

With that assumption, a Draft would be maybe 400-500 Gold.

I don't know if I have seen all the MTG Arena details, so please let me know, but is there the idea of "Dust"; AKA, recycling cards?

From listening to that Limited Podcast with Ryan Spain, it sounds like Arena is the logical evolution of Duels. My bet is that the currency pricing is similar: 150 for a Booster, Quests give you anywhere from 60-120 Gold and you can stack up to 3 per day, gaining one per day.

With that assumption, a Draft would be maybe 400-500 Gold.

I don't know if I have seen all the details, so please let me know, but is there the idea of "Dust"; AKA, recycling cards?

They haven't said yet but I would be surprised if their isn't.

OnPoint

Ooh! Angrath is a Minotaur Planeswalker that uses red-hot chains.

[IMGhttp://media.wizards.com/2017/images/daily/c4rd4r7_weXjTsUDCD.jpg[/IMG]

I really hope we get him in Rivals, he could be the RB planeswalker.

I'm game for this, and he looks awesome, but hopefully we get a new RB Tibalt at SOME point.

They haven't said yet but I would be surprised if their isn't.

Definitely curious, since Duels had a pretty reasonable system where you could not gain more copies of a card than you needed. Because of this, packs were smaller (6 cards; 3 common, 2 uncommon, 1 rare) to throttle the rate at which you were gaining cards.

Ashodin

More details later, but from the new story, Dread Pirate Angrath is a minotaur planeswalker with Ghost Rider searing chains that can heat up his own body. Minotaurs don't appear to be native to Ixalan the plane. Huatli sparks while fighting him and sees Kaladesh. She interprets this as a vision of the Golden City, and the emperor views this as a sign that she must go on a journey to find it.
Angrath is most certainly from Ravnica

Definitely curious, since Duels had a pretty reasonable system where you could not gain more copies of a card than you needed. Because of this, packs were smaller (6 cards; 3 common, 2 uncommon, 1 rare) to throttle the rate at which you were gaining cards.

It's entirely possible they've not finalized how they plan to handle this.The Duels method works quite well for more casual play but I could see it being a real issue for more serious players that want to build Standard decks immediately after a new set releases. Needing to buy 300ish or so packs to make sure you get a playset of that one mythic the deck needs would be a huge turnoff and would be hugely expensive. Heck, needing to buy a bunch of packs just to get a playset of a common would feel awful. There 100% needs to be a reasonable way to just get the specific cards you want beyond simply cracking enough packs.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Fighting with a chain is a Rakdos guild thing, see Rakdos Cackler.

Ashodin

All we need is one scene of Angrath talking shit about the Legion of Dusk and saying #notmylegion to confirm

Also people change fam

DrArchon

I don't care where he's from, I just hope he's good.

The fact that the only RB walker outside of supplemental stuff has been Sarkhan the fucking Mad pisses me off (and I'm not a huge fan of RB Daretti either).

Seriously, I can't imagine it's that hard to come up with stuff for a RB walker to do.

I don't care where he's from, I just hope he's good.

The fact that the only RB walker outside of supplemental stuff has been Sarkhan the fucking Mad pisses me off (and I'm not a huge fan of RB Daretti either).

Seriously, I can't imagine it's that hard to come up with stuff for a RB walker to do.
Well they are making punisher effects in both red and black...

Needing to buy 300ish or so packs to make sure you get a playset of that one mythic the deck needs would be a huge turnoff and would be hugely expensive. Heck, needing to buy a bunch of packs just to get a playset of a common would feel awful. There 100% needs to be a reasonable way to just get the specific cards you want beyond simply cracking enough packs.

Yeah, that's a fair point, for sure. I hadn't considered how grindy it actually is to complete a set on Duels. In that case, I would lean towards a method of recycling cards.

PsionBolt

"Explore" is going to be Rosewater's "our complexity is too high, in hindsight Explore wasn't needed" mechanic in State of Design next year isn't it?

Assuredly. It's way too much reminder text for a keyword action -- four and a half lines is as much or more as Clash, for Pete's sake.

It also kinda sorta tremendously bugs me that the creature explores and not you, even though every action that is part of exploring is done by the player.
I get why they did it that way -- it connects the creature to the action so that they can say to put the +1/+1 counter on "this creature" and have it function rule-wise -- but it just reads so poorly, especially when compared to other keyword actions like scry or investigate. Any player who isn't a rules lawyer will almost certainly not see why the distinction is made in the first place.
See also: Fabricate, which was very similar in effect, but ended up not being a keyword action at all because they tied it exclusively to ETBs. How many players will readily grok why these two mechanics use different wording? I have my doubts.

Worst of all, it makes me worry about how assemble will end up being handled. For ages, fan-designers have proposed possible meanings, and the critical point was always that the creature is the one doing the assembling, not the player. If they handle it like explore, and just tie it to the creature in a nit-picky, boring way, I'll be quite disappointed.

Magic Story - A Question of Confidence
* Huatli is both a skilled knight and an orator. She wishes to achieve the title of warrior-poet, which comes once a generation.
* After a battle with the Legion of Dusk, she gawks at captured equipment with her cousin, Inti. They remark how flimsy and gaudy their swords are. They also joke about the resemblance of one of vampire hierophants to their grandmother.
* Huatli prefers to avoid casualties; the battle ended with no one dying and the Legion fleeing to their ships.
* Huatli is greeted by her fans. She's annoyed that they already address her as Warrior-Poet. A young teenager isn't confident in her poetry, so Huatli gives her the advice that it's better for poetry to be honest than clever.
* The Emperor is about to give a speech marking the end of their campaign against the Legion of Dusk's encampments on the Sun Coast, and Huatli expects to be made a warrior-poet at the end.
* Huatli is able to use magic to calm and spur her dinosaurs, and uses magic to give her mount the "scent-memory" of food to calm it. Then, when it's her turn to speak, she gallops it out and orates a poem celebrating their victory.
* The merfolk River Heralds once controlled the continent, but under the Sun Empire's current emperor, Apatzec, they've aggressively expanded their territory. The previous emperor, his mother, was more concerned about protecting their current cities and finding the lost one.
* Emperor Apatzec announces a campaign to reclaim their southern coast from the invaders, but no title for Huatli.
* In private conversation, Apatzec tells Huatli that he isn't sending her to the south; he heard rumors that the invaders will come on their eastern shores, and she'll guard them.

* A month later, she follows up on intel about a Brazen Coalition landing party. She uses magic to draw several dinosaurs to her, and has them hide in the jungle before the beach.
* There aren't any pirates out, so she uses oil and flint to set fire to the supplies they have out, and has dinosaurs flush pirates out of the jungle onto the beach. The pirates run back to their ships, and Huatli thinks they're done here, and starts to leave.
* Angrath appears and kills her dinosaur mount with his chains. He announces his name and that he seeks the Immortal Sun (in the City of Gold). Huatli doesn't recognize his species or his accent, but does recognize bulls as animals that the Legion of Dusk bring over.
* They fight. She notes that pirates don't fight with callous rage like this.
* Inti appears, and Huatli yells for him to get her a mount.
* Huatli loses some of her leg armor in the fight, and Angrath's burning chain grabs her exposed skin. She realizes she'll die here, and this causes her to spark.
* Her body falls apart and she has a vision of Kaladesh--a city of glimmering metal pulsing with magic in the sky. But then she's forcibly pulled back and her body reforms, no longer held by the chain.
* Angrath is surprised, but happy he finally found another planeswalker. He offers to team up to figure out a way off the plane, which confuses her. She turns him down, and she and Inti run away.
* She tells Inti that she thinks she saw Orazca, the City of Gold.
* They head back to talk to Emperor Apatzec about this. While he isn't interested in sending an army to search for the city, he believes it to be wise to send her on her own. If she finds it, then she'll be named warrior-poet.
* Inti uses medicine and magic to heal Huatli's burns as they talk. He tells her that they can capture a River Herald and force them to lead them.
* He asks her if she actually wants to do this, or if she just wants the title of warrior-poet. She says that she wants to find the city.

explore will stop being complicated after you do it a couple times

there's only 1 actual decision in the whole process, and it happens after you've already resolved the card and have finished going through the steps

explore will stop being complicated after you do it a couple times

there's only 1 actual decision in the whole process, and it happens after you've already resolved the card and have finished going through the steps

Yeah, my hope is that it plays a lot more smoothly than it reads.

Supast4r

-Gaining and Paying Life for effects is the Vampire strategy in this set
-3/1 with "free" indestructible is sweet and good on cheap attackers
-3/1 with "free" indestructible is really annoying though on defense and might stall a game so it gets a bonus on attacking rather than being a default 3/1

Seems to make sense to me?
Paying life in white is weird

Supast4r

Still expected a lot more hype for sealed product with the current preorder prices of some of these rares. Growing Rites at 20 is ridiculous.

No masterpieces or chase mythics probably isn't helping though.
Yeah all the power is in uncommons in this set for some reason. Nice for me

Daedardus

Still expected a lot more hype for sealed product with the current preorder prices of some of these rares. Growing Rites at 20 is ridiculous.

No masterpieces or chase mythics probably isn't helping though.

No masterpieces or chase mythics are helping for the value of just one box however. Cheaper boxes could only be a good thing if the set is fun to draft, no?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I kind of enjoyed that the story this week actually worked really well with the art. You wouldn't realize the city Huatli saw was Ghirapur without looking at it because she basically described a generic gold city which could be Orazca if you didn't know better.

Explore is way too complicated for a keyword action and I have no idea how it made it through development.

There's going to be a ton of people at prerelease trying to do things with it they can't, I imagine. God only knows how many of them will be poor readers and how many will just be trying to cheat.

Edit: With respect to the Punisher Draw card, this is a rare case where I think the options would actually be more interesting if there were fewer of them. If the card was an all-or-nothing deal for say, 7 life instead of 3 per, that might be an interesting choice; as it stands it may as well just read "Draw 1-2 lands, target opponent loses 3-6 life."

Angry Grimace

There's going to be a ton of people at prerelease trying to do things with it they can't, I imagine. God only knows how many of them will be poor readers and how many will just be trying to cheat.

The judge at my LGS once had to DQ several players from a Dragon's Maze prerelease before the event even started because the player's pool had a foil Desecration Demon in it, which was impossible to obtain in a DGM prerelease because the only way to obtain cards from RTR or Gatecrash was through seeded guild packs.

I mean, not only is that dumb but if you're putting black cards from RTR in your pool you're insanely dumb if you're not putting Pack Rat in.

Repgnar

What's wrong with the perceived difficulty of Explore? I feel like I must be missing something...?

Pre-pre-release happening this Saturday in case anyone forgot. Had no plans up until today but now I'll probably only watch half of it on Saturday and finish it on Sunday. Going to try out a different LGS for the midnight release this time that does 4 rounds regardless of the amount of people that show up. 4-0 gets a box of Ixalan and 3-1 gets something like 12(maybe 8) packs. The other store i've played at always did it by the amount of people that showed up and weren't always the quickest to start on time so 5 rounds felt like forevvvvvvvvver.

kirblar

It's"reveal a card, then do one one thing if its a land, and scry + +1/+1 counter if it's not. That second part is where it gets really complex for no reason w/ the added counter.

What's wrong with the perceived difficulty of Explore? I feel like I must be missing something...?

Things you're probably going to see:

Flip the top card, it's a land, draw the card; put a +1/+1 counter on the creature anyway because I've gotten into the rhythm of doing it when revealing non-lands or just didn't read well or I just don't think you're paying enough attention and want to get one over on you.

Flip the top card; it's a non-land, scry it to the bottom instead of the graveyard, because scry is a mechanic with similar initial function and I'm confused.

Flip the top card; it's a non-land, put it in my hand anyway, either mistakenly believing that the land check is just to see whether I get a +1/+1 counter, or again trying to cheat.

For extra fun, do a double-billing of prereleases and see how likely these errors/"errors" become as your second prerelease grinds toward midnight.

Repgnar

Things you're probably going to see:

Flip the top card, it's a land, draw the card; put a +1/+1 counter on the creature anyway because I've gotten into the rhythm of doing it when revealing non-lands or just didn't read well or I just don't think you're paying enough attention and want to get one over on you.

Flip the top card; it's a non-land, scry it to the bottom instead of the graveyard, because scry is a mechanic with similar initial function and I'm confused.

Flip the top card; it's a non-land, put it in my hand anyway, either mistakenly believing that the land check is just to see whether I get a +1/+1 counter, or again trying to cheat.

For extra fun, do a double-billing of prereleases and see how likely these errors/"errors" become as your second prerelease grinds toward midnight.

Do any of the revealed explore cards so far not have the rules on it as well? You bring up a valid point though that there's a lot of moving parts and does set itself up to be abused knowingly or unknowingly. If I remember i'll try and take a count of how many times it's played wrong during pre-release weekend. I would like to think with it being new the first game or two when it's dropped both people are going to re-read it but that doesn't stop people from getting into the groove/making mistakes like you said.

Do any of the revealed explore cards so far not have the rules on it as well? You bring up a valid point though that there's a lot of moving parts and does set itself up to be abused knowingly or unknowingly. If I remember i'll try and take a count of how many times it's played wrong during pre-release weekend. I would like to think with it being new the first game or two when it's dropped both people are going to re-read it but that doesn't stop people from getting into the groove/making mistakes like you said.
It's a well known issue that if a player thinks they understand an effect, they won't bother to read the text, especially reminder text.

Top Bottom