• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Gran Turismo 5 Prologue details (BRD & PSN download, GT TV, Late '07 release)

Jim

Kinda came out of nowhere. Nice to have solid official details! This was via SCEE, not SCEA btw.

Start your engines for Gran Turismo 5 Prologue

New prequel an early taste of Gran Turismo 5 for PLAYSTATION 3 - A taste of Gran Turismo 5 for PLAYSTATION 3 is here at the end of this year - Up to 16-player online racing on PLAYSTATION Network - a Gran Turismo first! - Over 40 dream cars, High Definition graphics, new physics engine… and a TV channel

The real driving simulator that's sold 50 million units is back: Sony Computer Entertainment Europe (SCEE) and Polyphony Digital are pleased to announce Gran Turismo 5 Prologue, a prequel title showcasing the forthcoming Gran Turismo 5 for PLAYSTATION 3 (PS3) – available both on Blu-ray disc and as a download from PLAYSTATION Network (PSN) at the end of this year. Gran Turismo on PlayStation is one of the most successful global gaming franchises of the last ten years – renowned for its realism, quality of design and in-car physics technology – now, with the power of PS3 behind it, it's going to be unstoppable.

Gran Turismo 5 Prologue features over 40 stunning cars – including vehicles by Lotus, Mitsubishi, Nissan and Ferrari for you to race on seriously realistic, real-life tracks: including the Eiger Nordwand, the London City Track and Suzuka – all rendered in incredible High Definition graphics. There's also all-new driving physics for the most lifelike driving experience ever and new, improved opponent artificial intelligence for the toughest race challenge yet.

But that's not all – for the first time ever in the history of Gran Turismo, you'll now be able to race online. Up to 16 players will be able to go head-to-head on some of the world's best racetracks on PLAYSTATION Network – all you need to get racing is a broadband connection and PS3. Once you're up and revving, Global Online Rankings and the My Garage homepage feature will leave the world in no doubt as to just who is the best at Gran Turismo.

And then there's the Online Dealership, providing a wealth of information on cars and manufacturers and also Gran Turismo TV – a dedicated online channel available exclusively from PSN and packed with some of the greatest content that Motorsport, car manufacturers and TV has to offer.

Key Features:

The first ever Gran Turismo title with online racing: drive online against up to 16 other Gran Turismo aces

Race a total of over 40 stunning, high-performance cars

Race on seriously realistic, real life tracks including the Eiger Nordwand, the London City Track and Suzuka – then race them in reverse and with alternative routes

All-new physics engine means true next-generation vehicle handling

All-new and improved opponent AI for a nail-biting race experience

Access to Gran Turismo TV : a world of great motoring TV programming online
Online Dealership: Access to car manufacturers online

My Garage - a personalised homepage feature with friends, chat and personal game records

Quick Tune facility allows you to adjust power, tyres, suspension and more

All in stunning High Definition at 1080p (race: 1080p-60fps, replay: 1080p-30fps)

Gran Turismo 5 – the full title – launches in 2008. Until then, there's enough ultra-realistic, high-speed racing in Gran Turismo 5 Prologue on PS3 to keep your accelerator firmly to the floor for the rest of the year.

Greg

Polyphony, you better nail the engine sounds this time around - the cars look sexy, now make it sound like they have a pair.

I think my GT:HD playtime is closing in on the all-time record for longest demo played, previously set by MGS2.

calder

For god's sake it won't be free. It's a freaking Blu-ray disc you can buy in a store, how could it possibly be free.

Jim

Iron_Scimitar said:

The Blu-ray version is obviously going to cost something, but I expect the PSN version to be severely discounted - but not free. I'm willing to bet not even SCE knows what their final pricing scheme is going to be yet.

calder said:
For god's sake it won't be free. It's a freaking Blu-ray disc you can buy in a store, how could it possibly be free.

The "rumor" states the downloadable PSN version NOT the BRD version. But still...

Superfrog

* All-new physics engine means true next-generation vehicle handling

* All-new and improved opponent AI for a nail-biting race experience

In Leipzig, none of this was noticeable. I wonder if this isn't just PR bullshit.

Ah, and please finally improve the f*ckin tire screeching sounds.

glaurung

calder said:

But what if it is free even as a BD-ROM? As in "send us your PS3 registration number and get the disc for free"?

What then? Will the universe implode upon such awesomeness?

Superfrog said:
In Leipzig, none of this was noticeable. I wonder if this isn't just PR bullshit.

If im correct, Realistic Physics was accessible. You have two kind of physics engine that you can access. 1. GT:HD engine, and 2. GT5 engine.

P.S. Something tells me that Blu-ray version will contain something special... like i don't know... MGS4 Demo :O

I'm saying it because Konami logo can be seen in GT5P in various parts of the track... :)
:)

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
$40 bucks. Sorry GT lovers, but 1up is going to have to mark it down for not been a full game either.

GT TV is going to be utterly utterly awesome though. I hope it eventually gets to the point where people can post user videos in there.

calder

If retailers are already leery of anyone offering DD content for less than retail sells it - and as we've seen everywhere from Warhawk to Steam they basically won't stand for it at all - it's impossible to imagine Sony being able to say to retailers "oh hey, can you stock this half priced prologue game for us? sure it's going to be free to download from our online store but we think you'll be pleasantly surprised how many people choose to buy it from you instead!"

4 Prologue wasn't free, and this has much more content in it from what I'm dimly remembering of GT4p so I'm not sure how Sony could really just give it away. Hey if they did somehow make it free I wouldn't be mailing them a cheque for 19.99 out of anger at being wrong or anything but I can't believe it would be. It'd be an amazingly cool gesture but I just don't think it's at all realistic to expect or even hope for.

Crayon Shinchan said:
$40 bucks. Sorry GT lovers, but 1up is going to have to mark it down for not been a full game either.

GT TV is going to be utterly utterly awesome though. I hope it eventually gets to the point where people can post user videos in there.

Nope, this is single player as well as online, so 1up will have a delima on their hand. The suspense builds and launch approaches.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I'd expect something around $30 on the PSN, to be honest. GT4 Prologue cost, this talk of it being free is crazy. Phil Harrison, IIRC, even confirmed it would be a commercial release.

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
gluv65 said:
Nope, this is single player as well as online, so 1up will have a delima on their hand. The suspense builds and launch approaches.

I know it's SP and MP. I'm following the game as closely as humanly possible!

But you'll undoubtedly get reviewer jackasses going on about how the game isn't worth 40 bucks, because it'll only be a fraction of the content of the actual GT5.

Completely ignoring the merit of the content; if you were to pay for a sim as complete as GT5 proper is going to be, you should be paying in the thousands. (After all, not only is it a game with tremendous value for money, it's a learning/teaching tool for real drivers!)

tha_con

Banned
Oneself said:
I sincerely hope it won't be more than 20$.... oh and good to see you back Jim.

40 cars, GTTV, 5 tracks, 16 player online, MyGarage and HOME features?

$39.99 PSN download.

Probably $39.99 in store as well.

shagg_187 said:
If im correct, Realistic Physics was accessible. You have two kind of physics engine that you can access. 1. GT:HD engine, and 2. GT5 engine.

P.S. Something tells me that Blu-ray version will contain something special... like i don't know... MGS4 Demo :O

I'm saying it because Konami logo can be seen in GT5P in various parts of the track... :)
:)

sorry, buy no... konami has a lot of ads placed in suzuka, that's why you see them in GT videos...:)

tanod

when is my burrito
This needs to come out in America. I will probably buy this but not GT5. Prologue is enough simulation racing for me I think. If they put this out on retail shelves this holiday in NA for $30-$40 or so, that would definitely move some consoles.

Crayon Shinchan said:
I know it's SP and MP. I'm following the game as closely as humanly possible!

But you'll undoubtedly get reviewer jackasses going on about how the game isn't worth 40 bucks, because it'll only be a fraction of the content of the actual GT5.

Completely ignoring the merit of the content; if you were to pay for a sim as complete as GT5 proper is going to be, you should be paying in the thousands. (After all, not only is it a game with tremendous value for money, it's a learning/teaching tool for real drivers!)

GT5:p has history on its side, its been done before to a lesser extent(excluding online play) Did the previous versions come under scrutiny?

Greg

chubigans said:
SERIOUSLY realistic. Hooah.

Methinks my 120GB will need another upgrade soon. :lol
What are you using it all on - music collection?

I just recently cleared my launch 60gb from all the garbage I've downloaded - pretty much every trailer and demo since launch. :lol

I kept the GT:HD demo and my purchased titles from PSN - the rest got the boot.

Superfrog said:

They admitted the AI wasn't in place at the Leipzig demo, but according to hands on they did have the physics in place. You had to select Professional as your setting to get it though as there are 2 physics settings and the one you start with is Standard which is GT4/HD's settings.

they'd be crazy if they didn't charge for it. Hopefully they'll keep it at $30 or below. It's not a full game, but it's certainly much more than any demo (16 player online, leaderboards, GTTV, 1080p/60fps). I'd really like to see it at $20 to encourage more people to try it (than would at $30 or more). They are basically subsidizing dev costs with what is still essentially a demo, so moving 1 million+ units could seriously help the bottom line.

Clarkson should be declared King of GTTVland

Top Bottom