• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey V: Beyond the Myth |OT| Unleash the Beast!

Gunstar Ikari

Unconfirmed Member
I have a copy coming tomorrow, but I already have like three Etrian games to play, including 2 Untold which I have yet to even touch. Really need to catch up.

Korranator

The timing of this game's release....uggghh

From the early days of questioning if it would even get a release to the surprise announcement @ E3. It's been a wild roller coaster.

....but to come out now in the middle of Oct..bah. O'well beggars can't be choosers. Besides just because I pre-ordered the game and hopefully get it tomorrow doesn't mean I have to start playing it right now. I've waited this long, I'll probably wait for that FM DLC.

Great job on OT. :)

...........besides, I'm still working on EMD's post game dungeons. Currently, in the middle of the 11th Branch: Phantom Depths.

Griss

Does the game still have the overworld maps from IV? I loved that. Loved the small bite-sized dungeons with larger 3-floor stratums.

This seems much more like EO II and since I've played that one (I've played all 4 of 'em but not the remakes) I'm wondering why in particular I should play this one.

Ohtsam

Banned
Does the game still have the overworld maps from IV? I loved that. Loved the small bite-sized dungeons with larger 3-floor stratums.

This seems much more like EO II and since I've played that one (I've played all 4 of 'em but not the remakes) I'm wondering why in particular I should play this one.

No it's a full on return to the first two games where all there is, is the 30 floor labyrinth.

spiritfox

It's going back to the more traditional mega dungeon from the first 3 games, so there's no more overworld and side dungeons. It's more EO if you want more EO, which I want.

If there's a complaint is that so far it just takes all the beats from the first 2 games wholesale.
The first boss is a mob boss, there's a postgame boss on 8F that you have to dodge,
it's a little on the nose.

Navi

If I had the time to balance out playing my switch and work I would def try this game out. Maybe one day. Looks hella fun and cool.

Any race can be any class as soon as you hit level 5 with any character iirc. I have a Brouni Dragoon and Celestrian Botanist right now.

Actually, I think the requirement to unlocking any race/class combination is to complete the first major quest (map out the 1st floor & grab the two items) so you can do it even sooner than that LV5 if you hurry.

Suspicious_Jug

Neo Member
Can’t wait to pick up my copy, went physical for the goods.
Demo was great, and all the classes just call for multiple playthroughs.
The staggered DLC is a bummer though, especially FM being the last one.

Are those just sprite sets or full classes in the DLC?

Also, does anyone know when it goes live on eshop tomorrow? I'm too lazy to walk the mile from the college to pick up the game, walk back, and then wait for the next bus to pick up a physical copy.

Rutger

Banned
With other things going on, I only played the first floor of the demo.

I may just start over when I get the game. I want to explore party building more than I did in the demo. All these classes are so interesting, it's like the found the creativity they had when making EOIII's classes again.

Griss

No it's a full on return to the first two games where all there is, is the 30 floor labyrinth.

It's going back to the more traditional mega dungeon from the first 3 games, so there's no more overworld and side dungeons. It's more EO if you want more EO, which I want.

If there's a complaint is that so far it just takes all the beats from the first 2 games wholesale.
The first boss is a mob boss, there's a postgame boss on 8F that you have to dodge,
it's a little on the nose.

Thanks guys, helpful. I've got plenty to play, so I'll give this a skip. These aren't short games and I've played 4 of them. That's enough.

Hope it's great though. Enjoy it.

Anteo

I forgot this was going to be out this week, Holy crap this month, how can I even aford or even have time to playe all these games sigh..

Refyref

I'm looking forward to this. Shipping will take some time. On the bright side, FM soundtrack will likely be available once it arrives.

Good job OP
and props for using the correct genre name! :V

Yeah so many games this month lol. And I have midterms this week and next.

Getting my copy tomorrow. Will be jumping in soon.

Alastor3

Is this a joke or are you bad with Roman numerals?

are you joking? JPN version came out last year

Not a joke, I was sure EO 5 (V) came out like 4 years ago but if I look at the release date, I guess im mistaken with IV. I think I was just remembering the v in the title.

also I only played 1 and 2 so I didn't follow the serie all that well but I want to get back into it.

Newk86

Not being an audiophile at all, could somebody please explain what the music DLC is or is supposed to do? FM synth? I'm guessing that it's the regular music from the game but in a different format or something?

somedudes

Banned
not sure about this one.. there is good and bad. I like that the enemies move, but don't like the 3D modeling. some of the classes/leveling seems uninventive. but seems to be a solid game, with decent challenge, ie its not cheap shit like Untold 1 and 2.

Zweizer

Banned
Not being an audiophile at all, could somebody please explain what the music DLC is or is supposed to do? FM synth? I'm guessing that it's the regular music from the game but in a different format or something?

It allows for an option to change the music to a remastered version done deliberately in a retro-sounding way, as a throwback to the earlier installments of the series, which themselves were done in chiptune to revoke the nostalgia of the dungeon crawlers from the 80's.

Think going from this to this, albeit in this case the orchestral version came later. It's somewhat of a first for the series to de-orchestrate its soundtrack.

Newk86

It allows for an option to change the music to a remastered version done deliberately in a retro-sounding way, as a throwback to the earlier installments of the series, which themselves were done in chiptune to revoke the nostalgia of the dungeon crawlers from the 80's.

Think going from this to this, albeit in this case the orchestral version came later. It's somewhat of a first for the series to de-orchestrate its soundtrack.

Thanks for that. Pretty cool thing to add and probably handy to have in a strict dungeon crawler like this to be able to switch things up a bit when you need a change. I liked both of the tracks too.

Will probably look at the music plus the EO1 portrait DLCs.

zashga

Who knows what's next for Etrian Odyssey now that the DS era is over, but I'm glad we got all five mainline games. Excited to start this game tomorrow. :)

Also, I spoiled myself on the soundtrack, and it's preeetty good. As expected.

Who knows what's next for Etrian Odyssey now that the DS era is over, but I'm glad we got all five mainline games. Excited to start this game tomorrow. :)

Actually in a recent interview, the series director said that they're planning one final Etrian Odyssey game as a culmination for the series on 3DS. It'll probably a remake of EO3 since that's the only one that hasn't been remade that wasn't a 3DS game to begin with, although it could always be something brand new like EO6 or another spin-off.

Can I get some tips on party composition? I usually hate figuring out how to build on in these games as I usually end up with something horribly inefficient or have to respec constantly.

I want to do big single hit damage. Want to change up from the huge setup Landshneckt/Nightseeker link based combos I did in EO4. Don't mind messing with summons either. They sound like fun.

scy

I have managed to keep myself completely and totally blind on this; will probably try to math things out myself instead of looking around existing resources. Assuming I don't get extremely lazy, anyway.

Hype though! :D

Quadraxis

Man, i love the feeling of adventure in these games. only this work day to complete, then it is waiting for me at home :D. I wanted more after the demo. The party i'm using at the moment is:

Masurao/Harbinger/Pugilist
Dragoon/Herbalist

Haven't really looked at the second names that are in the OP. Idea was to have an offensive frontline based on ailments complemented with the pure damage of the masurao, while the dragoon protects the party and the herbalist goes for healing. Any advice with respect to these second names?

Zweizer

Banned
Can I get some tips on party composition? I usually hate figuring out how to build on in these games as I usually end up with something horribly inefficient or have to respec constantly.

I want to do big single hit damage. Want to change up from the huge setup Landshneckt/Nightseeker link based combos I did in EO4.

You can try making a party with a Masurao and a Warlock, as that's what they've been designed for. Since the two are somewhat frail, you can add either a Dragoon or a Necromancer for tanking. The last two slots are up to you to choose depending on what you're going for (ailments/binds/buffs/debuffs/healing).

I have managed to keep myself completely and totally blind on this; will probably try to math things out myself instead of looking around existing resources. Assuming I don't get extremely lazy, anyway.

Hype though! :D

Hey, long time no see scy! Do give us a sout in either the Manga or EO Community threads sometime!

I haven't even finished the demo yet. But I'll definitely get it eventually.

I played the hell out of both EOU 1 and 2, and finished the post-game dungeon for each. I completed the main game for Etrian Odyssey IV, but never actually went on to the post-game for some reason. Still really enjoyed it.

Pretty excited to jump into the main game of EOV based on my experience with the demo.

redcrayon

Nice OT, thanks! Not out 'till next month here
but I'm enjoying the demo. I recommend eurogaf pick up a physical copy early if they want one as the print runs are historically tiny.

Nice OT, thanks! Not out 'till next month here
but I'm enjoying the demo. I recommend eurogaf pick up a physical copy early if they want one as the print runs are historically tiny.

The digital release in Europe is today (same as the US releases), so if you don't mind owning digital products you can own the game at the same time as our American brothers and sisters.

redcrayon

The digital release in Europe is today (same as the US releases), so if you don't mind owning digital products you can own the game at the same time as our American brothers and sisters.
That's great, I didn't know that. Waiting on physical personally as it's cheaper here (£28 vs £35, UK).

>Gets home from work
>Checks eShop
>Finds EOV
>"Coming to Nintendo eShop"
>Can't buy game yet
>Is sad

Guess I'll take a nap in the meantime :(

spiritfox

BTW here's my guild card if we're still doing this thing.

2ydHCLt.png

Top Bottom