• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey V: Beyond the Myth |OT| Unleash the Beast!

omlet

Seems a little vanilla. I'm kind of interested in using a Necromancer to tank, but I'm not a fan of their aesthetic.
You can also use the "basic" racial art (available for all classes for the specific race), or you can get a different race/class to get the art you like then class change them to necro.

Sölf

And I still haven't beaten 3, 4, EOU, EOU2 or PQ so far. And not the postgame of any game.

I will probably still get this, but not at release. Or at least not as a digital only game.

sphinx

the piano man
OMG! I didn't know this was releasing these days everyhwere expect EU physical.

will wait patiently for my physical copy til nov. 03

MLH

Ahhhhhh what!? this is out in EU digitally!!
I've got the physical preordered but fuck it, I'm buying this now!
Thanks Deep Silver!

Glad we're getting the DLC too - need that FM soundtrack.
Can't wait to play this, easily my most anticipated game this year.

Sorry Culdcept you'll have to sit on the shelf for a bit
alongside Monster Hunter Stories and Fire Emblem Fates and Mario & Luigi... At least I completed Metroid 2 quickly that was great.

Edit:
pad9RY6m.jpg

Wahahaha! Soon my precious!
(Also free theme?!)

Ulong

So the early quest to
catch a chicken
specifies you need someone good at
handling animals, but I brought in a rover and it doesn't help.
do they need to be a higher level or what?

Also I don't really consider any of that spoilers but I thought I'd be hyper careful.

aett

So the early quest to
catch a chicken

Also I don't really consider any of that spoilers but I thought I'd be hyper careful.

I haven't played the game, but having looked at the skills: does the Race skill "Animal Care" do the trick?

Zweizer

Banned
So the early quest to
catch a chicken

You need to have a character with
the Animal Care Racial skill

Weebos

Banned
Just picked my copy up. Probably won't have time to play it any time soon, plus I need to actually beat EOU2 first.

Quadraxis

Lvl 14, thought i try the first boss to see what i'm up against.
Fight starts, AoE spell that kills 4 of my 5 members lol. That took me by suprise XD. Curious as to how he works, lets do this!

Seda

I reviewed the game and ended up beating all the post-game bosses and such. I did a lot of it on Advanced but the very last post-game boss I had to knock down to Basic :/

My party the whole way through was

Fencer (Chain Fencer) , Masurao (Blade Master)

Dragoon (Shield Bearer), Warlock (Elemancer), Botanist (Merciful Healer)

Dragoon can basically go in either row. The Decoy Bunkers are super useful, though I didn't mess with wraiths or whatnot.

Does anyone know what is an average level to reach by the end of the game? I'm bored at work and checking out the skill simulator.

I think I was a little higher than 60.

Hyoukokun

I am frowning in the general direction of Atlus' UX people. The opening message box about creating save data (that gives no indication that you can continue) and the fact that you have to hit "new game" to port your data from the demo... not great.

But. New EO! Going to lose a lot of time to this over the next few weeks.

So I was playing with the skill simulator, and now I'm having second thoughts about using harbinger. It seems like it requires a lot of points to do cool stuff. It's such an investment just to keep miasma up reliably. Also I'm really disappointed because I thought harbinger got skills to remove enemy buffs, but it turns out I misread and it actually removes debuffs. That's not as good :/

Maybe I will replace it with dragoon.

zashga

You can also use the "basic" racial art (available for all classes for the specific race), or you can get a different race/class to get the art you like then class change them to necro.

When do you unlock the ability to class change?

Rutger

Banned
I had an easier time getting through the first floor with my new team than my demo team. The free heals from the Rover's hound are great for starting out.

When do you unlock the ability to class change?

After you complete the first main quest, visit the guild.

Flying Fish

Neo Member
Oh my god the
triple dog ambush
on floor 2.

I reviewed the game and ended up beating all the post-game bosses and such. I did a lot of it on Advanced but the very last post-game boss I had to knock down to Basic :/

My party the whole way through was

Fencer (Chain Fencer) , Masurao (Blade Master)

Dragoon (Shield Bearer), Warlock (Elemancer), Botanist (Merciful Healer)

Wow, that's my exact party composition. Neat coincidence.

Gyoru

So I was playing with the skill simulator, and now I'm having second thoughts about using harbinger. It seems like it requires a lot of points to do cool stuff. It's such an investment just to keep miasma up reliably. Also I'm really disappointed because I thought harbinger got skills to remove enemy buffs, but it turns out I misread and it actually removes debuffs. That's not as good :/

Maybe I will replace it with dragoon.

Harbingers are very skill point hungry and don't come into their own until they get their Legendary Title. Keeping a Miasma Armor up isn't a problem once you have at least 5 points into Auto Miasma and a few into Endless Shroud.

If going Deathbringer, the Basic level reaps aren't worth investing aside from being a prereq to the Master level reaps. Your main damage in fights is going to be Toxic Reap and Frigid Reap when things are all ailmented up.

I went through most of the game on Advanced with
F: Cannon Bearer / Barrage Pugilist / Deathbringer
R: [Celestrian reclassed] Poisoner Botanist / Hound Rover

Starting with Miasma Armor allows you to end most random encounters with a single Toxic Reap unless there are multiple rows of enemies. My Poisoner and Deathbringer usually did the most damage in longer engagements like FOE/Boss battles.

Suspicious_Jug

Neo Member
I just realized there are a different set of palettes that change the armor color as well along with using the sample race portraits.
I have to go back and experiment with these.

Harbingers are very skill point hungry and don't come into their own until they get their Legendary Title. Keeping a Miasma Armor up isn't a problem once you have at least 5 points into Auto Miasma and a few into Endless Shroud.

If going Deathbringer, the Basic level reaps aren't worth investing aside from being a prereq to the Master level reaps. Your main damage in fights is going to be Toxic Reap and Frigid Reap when things are all ailmented up.

I went through most of the game on Advanced with
F: Cannon Bearer / Barrage Pugilist / Deathbringer
R: [Celestrian reclassed] Poisoner Botanist / Hound Rover

Starting with Miasma Armor allows you to end most random encounters with a single Toxic Reap unless there are multiple rows of enemies. My Poisoner and Deathbringer usually did the most damage in longer engagements like FOE/Boss battles.
Thanks for the advice! Sounds like a cool build. I've been thinking of playing harbinger defensively and going for deathguard actually. Focus on lowering enemy attack and accuracy, try to paralyze and sleep them, and guard the party against ailments. It sounds like my party is going to end up totally different from yours, but that's the fun part, right?

Ulong

Does the magic attack stat effect the power of Wraiths?

You can choose them after you complete the second stratum, probably around level 30 or so on advanced

Ah okay, thanks. I feel like I'm going to have to retrain every party member once I unlock them then, because by that point I'll be well into picking skills I don't really want.

Neoweee

Is there a quick way to just switch my rows outside of combat? I hate having to redo my party formation when people die. It should auto-reset to the proper rows once the front row is alive and well.

omlet

Does the magic attack stat effect the power of Wraiths?

Wraiths' normal attacks are physical (slashing I think) but some of the necro skills that use wraiths are magic, such as Flame Bomb which uses INT stat as a modifier. As for whether or not buffing the necro's magic attack somehow boosts the wraiths' damage, I haven't experimented with that. My guess is that wraiths derive their normal attack power from the necro's weapon power, but I didn't get into that much detail with a necro yet so I'm just guessing.

yami4ct

USPS was late with my delivery sadly so I won't get my copy until tomorrow, but the party I'm running with is

Masurao (one blade)/Dragoon (cannon)/Harbinger (Deathbringer)
Rover (Hound)/Warlock (Omnimancer)

Will gen my guild card as soon as I can. Had a huge amount of fun in the demo so cannot wait. The classes seem phenomenally balanced this time.

Why am I the only one inside lol

I sent a PM earlier so soon you'll have company :p

Just fought the 3rd Stratum boss but died. I chipped away a good amount of health. He had about 25% left but at that point, everyone was pretty much empty on TP. Need to be smarter with my moves, as well as level up some more.

Some annoying enemies in this Stratum.

KarmaCow

Is there no way to keep select portraits across races? I don't have the actual game yet so I've been mostly just testing stuff out in the demo, which along with the exp share item as affording me a bunch of spare charters to swap around. I had a spare Brouni to switch into a Dragoon but not only are all the Brouni portraits terrible, all the Dragoon skins are awesome.

omlet

Is there no way to keep select portraits across races? I don't have the actual game yet so I've been mostly just testing stuff out in the demo, which along with the exp share item as affording me a bunch of spare charters to swap around. I had a spare Brouni to switch into a Dragoon but not only are all the Brouni portraits terrible, all the Dragoon skins are awesome.

Your only hope might be to buy DLC portraits and hope they work for Brouni then you can Retire your character into someone new and use a non-brouni portrait for a brouni. Does anyone know if this works, based off JP version?

Or just play a human dragoon. So far it's been working for me. Might consider some other options later if I buy the DLC, I guess.

KarmaCow

Your only hope might be to buy DLC portraits and hope they work for Brouni then you can Retire your character into someone new and use a non-brouni portrait for a brouni. Does anyone know if this works, based off JP version?

Or just play a human dragoon. So far it's been working for me. Might consider some other options later if I buy the DLC, I guess.

That's a shame, I'm not going to buy the shitty portrait DLC for that. At the moment I have

Puglist/Harbringer
Rover/Shaman/Dragoon

and was planning on swapping in a Celestrian Shaman and Brouni Dragoon to fill the gaps. It's not a big deal, I mostly wanted to swap in the Brouni Dragoon for the sake of having one of every race in my active party and having access to all the unique racial skills.

It's weird how they offer so much (re-)customization, but don't allow swapping of the base sprite after character creation.

omlet

I don't really think it's weird. It's a person on your team. They can try their hand at a different profession but can't just suddenly become a different race.

First Stratum boss is kicking my ass goddamn, Anyone have any tips?

My party is Pugilist, Harbinger, and a therian Fencer in front, botanist and warlock in back

KarmaCow

I don't really think it's weird. It's a person on your team. They can try their hand at a different profession but can't just suddenly become a different race.

You can completely change the voice, eye and skin colour, and name though. I don't buy that changing the portrait is a bridge too far, especially for something that is purely cosmetic.

ChrisD

Alright, so my new team is Fencer, Pugilist, Musurao, Shaman, and (Celestrian) Botanist. All utilizing Class "Default" portraits, because those actually look really nice (imo), and are unique because of how plain they are.

Was going to have the Shaman be a Brouni Warlock, but decided against it because I've played with Elements so much already. It kind of gets old, set up the strong move, throw out the color-coded nuke, repeat. That said, I also tried to steer clear of too much set-up with my team. No stances, no long Chains, no Charge moves, and nothing in need of a constant refresh (like the Front/Rear Guard of the past games I played). Plans wil be something that I figure in battle rather than a pre-determined "do X then Y then Z."

I want to deal a ton of damage with the Front Row, and the Back Row is there for the support the team will need. Shaman to cover the Elements, and Botanist for healing and ailments.. Healing is one thing that I can't play without, and ailments never get old. Pugilist will have the Binds, but I don't know how heavily I'll invest in them. Physical Burst damage sounds fun. Fencer will be Agility Tank because there's nothing more Russian Roulette than an Agility Tank. Musurao is sort of a filler class tbh, but I hope it plays well enough with the others!

spiritfox

First Stratum boss is kicking my ass goddamn, Anyone have any tips?

My party is Pugilist, Harbinger, and a therian Fencer in front, botanist and warlock in back

Spam AOEs. The body is the main one so focus on bringing that down while trying to keep the adds thinned out. You did lock out the sides right?

Also don't bother with binds or ailments cause it's immune to those.

MLH

Just met with two Rabid Acorns and a Colossal Roper on 5F. I should have took out the Acorns... Proceeded to get wrecked. 300 dmg to the party. Game over. Whelp that's an hour lost. Haha lesson learned.

Suspicious_Jug

Neo Member
Sometimes I wonder, with all the etrian odyssey games I've played. why I still forget to bring Ariadne Thread. Just got ambushed by some bats after barely surviving the berry canine trio.

Top Bottom