• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NX fan concept art thread

gafneo

Banned
take the Chinese fan
chinesefan906.jpg

chinesepaperfan-open.jpg

turn to this

TWnBxdf.jpg

ggx2ac

Ignoring the idea that the NX detachable controllers could be something completely different from the dev-kits which I tried with the last two fan mock-ups here, I tried doing this.

Detachable controllers, on the top are the shoulder buttons in red. Black circles are the circle pads. The split D-pad is positioned just below the circle pad like how the A button was positioned below the D-pad of the Wiimote.

I went with making them symmetric so both circle pads are on top. Face buttons are below. The red face buttons are for the share and home buttons.

The black dots are for the speakers, this is probably important because I never saw anyone do this for the mock-ups. When in portable mode, the detachable controllers have speakers to provide sound. When docked, sound can just come from the TV so when you play in Wii Remote style you get sound effects from using items on the Wii Remote like swinging a sword.

The only question is whether the NX device itself would also have speakers if you just wanted to play touchscreen only games when taking the device without the detachable controllers with you.

Oh and the part on the right is showing the trigger button in green and the connector which I am trying to show is retractable so that it's not in the way for Wii Remote mode. As long as there is space inside the remote it can be done. No need for magnets.

Edit: I guess I forgot to draw buttons or something on the back to press to unlock the connector when detaching it.

Edit 2:

Now I just drew those detachable controllers and attached it to the NX. I also added speakers on the bottom of the device with regards to the things I mentioned. There are still speakers on the controllers but drawn like that of the Wii U Gamepad.

The NX has a very tiny bezel here assuming that this is what Nintendo has decided with the deal with Sharp for the Free Form Display assuming the deal hasn't been cancelled with Nintendo.

gafneo

Banned
here's something very simple and basic. Just a phone with a common form factor. Major difference is that it has triggers and a haptic touch home button that serves as a mouse cursor and circle pad.. Cam uses head tracking so you can play an fps without a right stick.

5DvdisD.jpg

Hi, I thought it might be cool if people wanted to post and talk about fan mockups of their own or cool ones they saw online. Feel free to post ideas that you think would be fun.

I made this cheap little crap drawing today. It's basically 2 controllers coming together to make one big screen.

eYqKYi8.jpg

lol Jesus, they need to hurry and announce this thing.

People are getting crazy.

Caelus

Wish this thing had a clamshell design. Are the rumors based on devkit appearances, maybe there's still a chance for a clamshell? Idk about these things

ultrazilla

Gold Member
Just one i didn't see before;

nintendo%2Bnx2.png

This is really nice.

I still think Nintendo might be using some sort of free form display in the NX. Though I guess the latest "rumors" are that the controllers are "cheap". Not sure in terms of quality or cost or combination of both. I would think free form display detachable controllers wouldn't be "cheap".

Roo

Wish this thing had a clamshell design. Are the rumors based on devkit appearances, maybe there's still a chance for a clamshell? Idk about these things

Clamshell design is pretty much out of the window.
It'd be useless because there's no secondary screen and the controllers will detach from the main unit anyway.

Caelus

Clamshell design is pretty much out of the window.
It'd be useless because there's no secondary screen and the controllers will detach from the main unit anyway.

I guess, I envisioned it being somewhat like the GPD handheld so at least the nice 720p screen could be protected and the bottom half could be for amiibo placement.

But I guess the detachable controllers part complicates it.

What if it's like a 3DS, with two screens where you detach the upper screen and use the TV instead, while the bottom screen works like the Wii U Gamepad?

This is really nice.

I still think Nintendo might be using some sort of free form display in the NX. Though I guess the latest "rumors" are that the controllers are "cheap". Not sure in terms of quality or cost or combination of both. I would think free form display detachable controllers wouldn't be "cheap".

I think we might be thinking about the free-form display wrong. They could be using it for a read-out on the dock, or they could be ignoring the custom shapes angle of the technology altogether and instead be using it for the mostly eliminated bezel.

gafneo

Banned
I genuinely can't tell if you're being serious through this whole thread or not. I feel like this is performance art or something.

I'm neither trolling or fully confident in that these would be actual creations. I'm brainstorming what if ideas. This is how all R&D teams come up with crazy inventions. Within experimentation, something concrete eventually reveals within the obscurities.

ultrazilla

Gold Member
I think we might be thinking about the free-form display wrong. They could be using it for a read-out on the dock, or they could be ignoring the custom shapes angle of the technology altogether and instead be using it for the mostly eliminated bezel.

Good points. Having the "docking station" as a free form display would actually make sense. Plug the screen into the station and the picture becomes bigger(display area), or readouts such as battery charges, friend notifications, etc.

I'm personally hoping the docking station will also use the Nintendo patent that basically allows tech to be plugged in/synced together to have more processing power.

My theory being if the current rumors are true and they went with IR compatible controllers because the tech is cheap, that they hopefully spent more money on the display(which it sounds like they did with the rumored 720p display), possible cutting edge custom Tegra chips or the above mentioned free form docking station.

Top Bottom