• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sold PS3, feel relieved

Liamario

Banned
If uncharted or god of war or indeed any game of that calibre doesn't interest you, then you have probably done the right thing.

I recently sold my PS3 but for opposite reasons. The one game "Wizardry" for the Move is not launching anytime soon ... it's been a LONG time since it was announced so I assume it's shit by now. Versus and TLG are nowhere to be seen, and new consoles are coming out which will dramatically drop the resale value. I figured I'd get out while the gettin's good because I am not that person who has shelves of old systems.

I also have a 360 so I'm not missing any games for the most part, and my PC is more than capable of playing any PC games (Guild Wars 2!!).

I Don't really understand selling it because you have too many games to play though, that doesn't make sense. I sold it because it was a Netflix player for the past year except for Uncharted 3.

I normally never give people advice to sell their systems, usually always against it, but with new consoles coming you gotta strike while the iron is hot because the Craigslist value is going to drop like a rock.

Violater

This thread is like a kick in the teeth to someone who can barely afford a few games a year =/.

This is what I was thinking.
I wish I could wipe my memory of playing Castlevania so I could experience it all over again.
Was one of your unplayed games Castlevania OP, please let me know so I can direct my vitriol to you appropriately.

ThankeeSai

ahhhhhh...

Backlog: 15 games down in one minute.

PS3: no longer stares reaproachfully from under my table.

The sense of relief: unmatched.

Has somebody sold a console just because of a huge backlog?

no PC vs console arguments in this thread please

B..b..b..but...Journey :(

sfedai0

Banned
So instead of keeping a system that could at least play BD and stream content, you decided to keep the games which can do absolutely fucking nothing.

Codeblue

Some sort of strange stealth PS3 sucks thread? lol.

Would have just sold the games, if you can't or don't want to keep up with your backlog either don't buy more games or sell those you will never play.
Can't say I would ever sell a console just to get rid of the backlog, I've got a pretty big backlog going back to the Snes.
This is an even stranger PS3 is too good thread.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
lol, this thread is going places. I should have mentioned that I was barely playing on PS3 and needed money to buy some other stuff. So cutting down backlog was a byproduct of this decision not the main intention. BUT IT FEELS SO GOOD KNOWING THAT I DON'T NEED TO COMPLETE ALL THESE GAMES. And I will definitely continue on reducing my backlog because it feels so good, OCD or not.

ironcreed

Banned
No, I think it would drive me more crazy knowing I never got the chance to play the games in my backlog. Not to mention not being able to play the PS3 games that I like to return to from time to time, such as Demon's Souls. Hell, it is bothering me bad enough just knowing my current 5 year old fattie is on hairdryer trick life support, lol. Will be buying a Slim in the coming weeks.

Chaplain

I should have mentioned that I was barely playing on PS3 and needed money to buy some other stuff. So cutting down backlog was a byproduct of this decision not the main intention.

You should have included this information in your original post.

Ra1den

Selling your console was not the right choice. Selling the GAMES only is what you should have done. Sell everything that you are not playing right now or will play in the next month...and that takes care of your entire "backlog."

I only have a back log on the PS3 because I learned that Dark Souls is coming to PC and my PS3 is my "It's not available on PC" box.

It's also my Blu Ray player though. Why would you get rid of your Blu Ray player?

Flatline

Banned
lol, this thread is going places. I should have mentioned that I was barely playing on PS3 and needed money to buy some other stuff. So cutting down backlog was a byproduct of this decision not the main intention. BUT IT FEELS SO GOOD KNOWING THAT I DON'T NEED TO COMPLETE ALL THESE GAMES. And I will definitely continue on reducing my backlog because it feels so good, OCD or not.

Why were you barely playing on PS3 when you had a backlog of 15 games?

kswiston

I don't think I even have a "backlog" in the way people are talking about here. I own dozens of games I haven't finished, and some I haven't even started, but whether or not I eventually get around to that doesn't really matter to me. I don't think it's entirely sane to sell hardware with the express purpose of depriving yourself of the option of playing some games.

I agree. My backlog is in the hundreds at this point. I came to the realization a couple years ago that I probably will never beat every game I have, even if I stopped buying games. However, I get most of my games really cheap (<$5 on PC, <$15 or from goozex on console). I don't really need to beat a $5 game to get my money's worth. If I get 1-2 hours out of it, that's fine. I like having a large selection of games depending on my mood. Like Final Fantasy Anniversary PSP. Bought the game a couple years back for $5-10. Saw the "lets play Final Fantasy" thread here a couple of months ago and finally got around to playing it.

What I have stopped doing is buying new or near new games that I don't have time to play. If I pay >$30 for a game, I play it right away. I might slip up once or twice a year, but typically I am pretty good at completing my new games before they have a chance to price collapse.

subversus

You should have included this information in your original post.

Why? I was sharing my joy and I asked people if somebody had sold their systems just because their backlog was too huge. I remember some posts from people who claimed that they did exactly that and they were excited about this too.

I just wanted these people to post, that is all.

Alebrije

15 games???

I have 47 games.

So in average how many games does PS3 users have?

I sold my 360 because it had not games, well at least for me , just got it for Allan Wake and Oblivion.

Spanning several consoles, I probably have a backlog of about a hundred.

OP, all you really had to do was change the patch on your jacket from "gamer" to "collector".

kswiston

15 games???

I have 47 games.

GAF or regular PS3 owners? For regular owners I would say 5-10. GAF is probably a few times higher.

I have converted some of my console collection to PC this generation, but I currently have 24 games for PS3, about 30 on Wii, and maybe 45 on 360. Not counting Digital Distribution.

Joni

15 games???

I have 47 games.

On average 9,3 physical games according to Sony's latest fiscal numbers. Although that varies quite a lot, there are a lot of people with less and some with a lot more.

Edit: Looked up my numbers: The PS3 is at 62 million 'sold' and sold 568,1 million games so it is 9,16.

renitou

Good idea.

Better idea for the future though: get a handle on your hobby and don't buy 15 games you don't need in the first place. Buy one, or two if you really feel variety is a necessity, and complete them. Then sell them, move forward, and repeat.

Sin no more.

kswiston

OP, I would never sell a system, but that is your choice. However, if you repurchase a PS3 before the end of this generation, you deserve to be mocked.

subversus

OP, I would never sell a system, but that is your choice. However, if you repurchase a PS3 before the end of this generation, you deserve to be mocked.

yeah, totally agree.

here is hoping for backwards compatibility because this sci-fi Heavy Rain game might be decent.

Korosenai

ahhhhhh...

Backlog: 15 games down in one minute.

PS3: no longer stares reaproachfully from under my table.

The sense of relief: unmatched.

Has somebody sold a console just because of a huge backlog?

no PC vs console arguments in this thread please

I was the same way op. I'm more of a handheld/xbox 360 gamer, so my ps3 with 6 or 7 games never got any love. I sold it and felt much better.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
My Steam backlog is probably at around 100 games. I don't even need anything else for the rest of my life lol

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I will never understand you backlog people. Just stop buying games, and play the games you have!

I think this shines light on why the 360 has been selling more than the PS3 in North America. The PS3 is intimidating for people because it has too many games.

no

CrazyDude

Honestly, if you guys would just buy a game once you finished the last one you bought, none of this would happen. It seems like a big waste of money to buy games just to sell them back at a lower price.

I'm soooo glad I don't create backlogs. Then I don't have to sell my freaking consoles just to get rid of the backlog.
3AQmK.gif

15 games can be a huge backlog though. I have 7 PS3 games in limbo right now, plus a few on PC. But those games are Skyrim, Deus Ex, Skyward Sword, Demons souls (soon to be Dark), Twisted Metal online (never played online yet), Infamous 2, Witcher 2 etc.

These are pretty massive games, its going to be until the fall before I come close to finishing them. Not to mention I still want to replay some games from last year, continue playing SCII and Diablo 3 is coming out soon.

I don't feel overwhelmed though because I'm not buying anymore games besides the ones I listed so its actually a good feeling knowing I have so much variety and I can play whatever I'm in the mood for. I'm secretly hoping nothing else worthwhile comes out between now and September though.

Good move. It´s better to get some money for something that you don´t use, then just owning it and feeling overwhelmed. Haven´t done something like that myself, but I understand it.

Top Bottom