• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Heroes |OT|Natural Selection Simulator

Status
Not open for further replies.

champloo

There once was a prophet from Nabata. She was slow and deemed useless by many. Everyone knew her, none would consult her. So she waited in isolation, ranked among the lowest of warriors while mages and archers and ninjas were hailed as the greatest heroes of our time.

But she grew strong.

Archers got you down? Kagero wrecking your team? Green mages make you sad? Why not try Sophia? The slowest mage in the game, and the perfect counter to the current green and bow heavy metagame.

Yes, I did just take the "worst" mage in the game and made her into an anti-meta counter. And she excels at that job. Now you might ask why not Lilina or Henry, even? Lilina can't do this. She would get destroyed by Kagero, TA or not. And Henry, despite getting Raurraven+, does less damage than Sophia. Only Sophia sits in this exact middleground where she both ignores archers and axes AND can hit back hard enough to kill the ranged enemies. After a bit of skill inheritance shenanigans, of course. She needs that Raurraven tome. And Triangle Adept 3. And Quick Reposte, but we just got a free Subaki, so that one is easy to get. We also got a free Palla for Moonbow. Triangle Adept might be harder to get, I had a four star Roy. That'll teach him to troll with a movie for a four star pull.

Getting a perfect run with her on the team was easy. Nothing green or colorless can seriously hurt her. Kagero up there is one of the bad ones. A fully buffed Gronnblade+ user can hurt her, too, but those are rare. And easy to split off when the AI runs her. In most cases, Sophia will just take a hit and destroy Nino (Or Cecilia if that's who you're bladin' with.) Of course, a fair warning needs to be given. While she is functionally immune to all green and colorless foes, she really REALLY should not tangle with anything blue. At all. Reinhardt will wreck her. Linde and Robin, too. Blue melee is bad for her as well. Which is why she's teaming up with Nino. They kill each others' counters.

Oh, and if taking Sophia to five stars might be a bit steep for you, it's okay. She still counters Kagero at four stars with this build. She will lose out in some Red vs. Red fights she'd otherwise win, but four stars and Triangle Adept 2 is actually enough for a stopgap solution to archers and ninjas. I just went further with the idea instead.

Neat! Red mages are indeed the missing link for a lot of teams. You didn't mention Leo though, imo he works very similarly with the same raventomb build. Some might prefer his superior movement, and he is cooler :p

McNum

Neat! Red mages are indeed the missing link for a lot of teams. You didn't mention Leo though, imo he works very similarly with the same raventomb build. Some might prefer his superior movement, and he is cooler :p
A lot of the red mages can pull off something similar, yes. I didn't consider Leo because... I don't have one, primarily. Secondly, Leo can't kill Julia on defense. Sophia can. As I said, she is in this really, really specific niche of defense and offense where she can take a hit and kill in return that most other red mages just aren't. She paid for it in speed, which is why Quick Reposte is so good for her.

But part of the Sophia build's appeal is also that everyone has one. She's in the free rotation, she's been a quest reward, if you haven't aggressively been sending home heroes or really wanted Fortify Res on all your heroes, you probably have a Sophia of some description. Plus she's annoyingly common in the popular red summon, too. Mine up there is +Def/-Res. I'd probably want a +Def/-Spd to be honest, but seeing so many common enemies get reduced to single digit damage (0 is a digit!) is just amazing.

So yeah, if Kagero, Setsuna, Takumi, Leo, Nino, Julia, or Hector got you down... Sophia. For all your C-Tier hard countering S-Tier needs.
I think she needs a re-evaluation there...

Nice. I never got f.Robin. Navarre seems a bit soon though. Why not Narcian?
Maybe because they're not villains?

I have a feeling that the next big update to the game will be coming soon, and with it hopefully some more common units added to the summon pool. Maybe FRobin and Navarre will be added to that pool as well, and they're giving players one last chance to get them via the GHB beforehand.

Or maybe it's totally random and means nothing.

Roman

It's frankly ridiculous there is no other way to get 1*s and 2*s than the hero battle rotation that they have not updated since launch, coupled with not adding any units at all to the 3* summoning pool.

Ninferno

What's her nature?

+Spd, -Atk.

My role for her is a dancer with Wings of Mercy that can handle Hector and green mages. For a unit with mediocre offense like Olivia, that would mean either gem weapons or TA3. Here, I'm giving her Ruby Sword+ instead of TA3 so that I can fit in Fury for some improved survivability. Since her B slot is occupied by WoM, I can't give her Sword Breaker so I would prefer to have her at +Spd in the hope that she can survive some inevitable red sword encounters for at least a round. On the other hand, she is already pretty squishy so I don't want a bane in HP/Def/Res. Hopefully with TA she can still do her job in handling greens even when she's -Atk.

A lot of the red mages can pull off something similar, yes. I didn't consider Leo because... I don't have one, primarily. Secondly, Leo can't kill Julia on defense. Sophia can. As I said, she is in this really, really specific niche of defense and offense where she can take a hit and kill in return that most other red mages just aren't. She paid for it in speed, which is why Quick Reposte is so good for her.

But part of the Sophia build's appeal is also that everyone has one. She's in the free rotation, she's been a quest reward, if you haven't aggressively been sending home heroes or really wanted Fortify Res on all your heroes, you probably have a Sophia of some description. Plus she's annoyingly common in the popular red summon, too. Mine up there is +Def/-Res. I'd probably want a +Def/-Spd to be honest, but seeing so many common enemies get reduced to single digit damage (0 is a digit!) is just amazing.

So yeah, if Kagero, Setsuna, Takumi, Leo, Nino, Julia, or Hector got you down... Sophia. For all your C-Tier hard countering S-Tier needs.
I think she needs a re-evaluation there...

This Sophia build is truly inspiring.

The bolded Heroes are huge problems for my team. Kagero pretty much causes me at least one casualty, and Takumi tends to do very heavy damage before he goes down.

Klein is another major threat, too. How does your Sophia do against him?

McNum

This Sophia build is truly inspiring.

The bolded Heroes are huge problems for my team. Kagero pretty much causes me at least one casualty, and Takumi tends to do very heavy damage before he goes down.

Klein is another major threat, too. How does your Sophia do against him?
He is colorless. He is an annoying colorless, but... I advertise Sophia as functionally immune to colorless.

I haven't fought him yet with her, but it seems that the only way he can hurt her is if he procs a skill. A +Attack Klein with Death blow does about 17 damage if he procs Glacies on her. Then he dies. But he will have pushed her out of QR range. A better play is to have Sophia attack him once on her turn, she'll get out of it completely unharmed then. Or one-shot him if she has any +Atk boost or he's -Res or -HP.

On enemy phase, this is one of the matchups where running the +1 Attack seal or spending feathers to upgrade to Raurraven+ would be worth it. It'll KO him after the first two shots, leaving him harmless.

Ninferno

That Sophia experiment is pretty cool. Appreciated. It is always to good to see some variety in people's team comps. I have 9 Sophias lying around so maybe some day I can have a +8 Sophia
at 4*
lol

That FemRobin and Navarre re-take is pretty intriguing. Hope that develops into something regular rather than a one-time thing.

Come to think of this correlation between villains and GHBs, it is actually really weird that while FemRobin and Navarre who aren't villains are GHB-only, Reinhardt (an actual "villain" from a gameplay perspective. Sure, he's not a typical "bad" dude, but he can't be recruited in his game) on the other hand is pullable. Yeah, yeah, there was that sibling bonds and shit and I can sort of understand, and tbh this is a minor inconsistency only.

Firemind

+Spd, -Atk.

My role for her is a dancer with Wings of Mercy that can handle Hector and green mages. For a unit with mediocre offense like Olivia, that would mean either gem weapons or TA3. Here, I'm giving her Ruby Sword+ instead of TA3 so that I can fit in Fury for some improved survivability. Since her B slot is occupied by WoM, I can't give her Sword Breaker so I would prefer to have her at +Spd in the hope that she can survive some inevitable red sword encounters for at least a round. On the other hand, she is already pretty squishy so I don't want a bane in HP/Def/Res. Hopefully with TA she can still do her job in handling greens even when she's -Atk.
I need a dancer that can take on blues lol. Sometimes I have the vain hope of pulling Azura or Ninian. I might pull the trigger soon and promote Olivia.

Roman

The Sophia build above is the result of just one of many theorycrafting sessions going on regularly in the Discord server linked in the OP.

I'm glad McNum tried it and that it works, I just did not expect him to actually spend feathers on the 5* version.

McNum

The Sophia build above is the result of just one of many theorycrafting sessions going on regularly in the Discord server linked in the OP.

I'm glad McNum tried it and that it works, I just did not expect him to actually spend feathers on the 5* version.
Yeah, this Sophia would not exist if it wasn't for several "Wait, what?" moments of ideas and theory crafting there.

This is all your fault Roman. I was just crazy enough to do it!

casiopao

WodVOtc.png

Finally my masterpiece is done lol.^^ Wonderful Lord Zephiel with Worst VA ever.T_T

Ninferno

The FemRobin GHB remastered edition (lol) is going to be interesting. It was given out as 2 and 3 stars when it came out; fingers crossed that they will change it up a bit to adopt the current 3 and 4 stars format.

Sushen

The FemRobin GHB remastered edition (lol) is going to be interesting. It was given out as 2 and 3 stars when it came out; fingers crossed that they will change it up a bit to adopt the current 3 and 4 stars format.
I missed her so that's awesome. Now, if theyou can remaster Ursula, I can work on villain emblem.

Roman

I missed her so that's awesome. Now, if theyou can remaster Ursula, I can work on villain emblem.

After Lloyd we'll only be missing Linus for straight up Four Fangs Emblem. If Linus was made green like Raven they would even cover all colors.

Mupod

Your masterpieces are nice and all but jesus fuck resize or quote your images.

Anyways, odd choices for the GHB return. I only need Narcian out of the old ones. It'd be nice if they were brought back with the 3* version as 'hard' and the 4* as 'lunatic', but I don't expect that.

Sushen

After Lloyd we'll only be missing Linus for straight up Four Fangs Emblem. If Linus was made green like Raven they would even cover all colors.
Speaking of Lloyd, I'm intrigued by his weapon, light brand which can attack distant enemies. Finally a multi-range hnit?

Roman

Speaking of Lloyd, I'm intrigued by his weapon, light brand which can attack distant enemies. Finally a multi-range hnit?

If anything it's going to be like Raijinto/Siegfried. I find it a bit unlikely they will do two GHBs in a row against distant counter swords, however.

Mupod

Maybe adding a bunch of distant counter swords will slow down the green mage parade in arena. But yeah, I just need one.

Raijinto was definitely 1-2 range in Fates but I expect them to start adding more weapons and unit types that break the 'rules'. Bunny Camilla was a surprise especially as a limited time unit. But now that a flying ranged character exists we can probably expect pegasus archers and the like.

I wonder if they'll ever put in switchable secondary weapons. Javelins and hand axes for example could change things up a lot. .

Anyways, quite curious what they'll do with Celica. All I know about her is a summary on the wiki of what she can do in her game but that could translate to an interesting FEH unit.

casiopao

Your masterpieces are nice and all but jesus fuck resize or quote your images.

Anyways, odd choices for the GHB return. I only need Narcian out of the old ones. It'd be nice if they were brought back with the 3* version as 'hard' and the 4* as 'lunatic', but I don't expect that.

Not sure how to resize actually lol.^^

Roy not having distant counter has the skill for his Sealed sword is the biggest crime.

Tell that to Zephiel sword lol.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Distant Counter is just so good. My Ryoma is working out well in arena despite being -atk +res.

I've been experimenting with Hana and she's actually pretty good. She absolutely deletes about 80+ units in the game with a speed boon, except she needs to back off afterwards, which I tried to help by adding Drag Back. She hits hard enough to kill some units through type disadvantage, which is useful.

According to the mass duel calculators, she is actually okay with her Armorslayer+, and Brave Sword+ doesn't add that many more wins to her because the speed penalty takes her below the threshold to ORKO faster characters like Bunncina. Silver Sword+ actually looks like it gives her the most wins, of all things.

Ninferno

Anyways, quite curious what they'll do with Celica. All I know about her is a summary on the wiki of what she can do in her game but that could translate to an interesting FEH unit.

In Gaiden, Celica's ultimate magic is Ragnarok so I hope she's a red mage, hopefully with good speed so she can be the red Linde. I can die happy if IS gives her weapon innate Close Counter to reflect her sword proficiency in Gaiden. Also, since she's a lord there's no way she will be a healer, thank god.

My fear is that IS makes her a red sword along with the other million of them; let's just not even think about it for now and pretend it has no chance of happening...

Sushen

In Gaiden, Celica's final magic is Ragnarok so I hope she's a red mage, hopefully with high speed so she can be a red Linde. If IS gives her weapon innate close counter to reflect her sword proficiency in Gaiden I can die happy. Also, since she's a lord there's no way she will be a healer, thank god.
Red Linde sounds fantastic. Since I don't have Nino, Julia, Linde, I'll go all out to get her if true.

Sushen

Freaking everyone is running Julia, Nino, Ninian if not all of them. While I've got none of them, they've got at least +1 and much more.

The worst part is how come that is still worth 680??? Earlier matches had none of + characters and 682-688. I think I need to build anti-green mage team as that's all I see now.

McNum

Freaking everyone is running Julia, Nino, Ninian if not all of them. While I've got none of them, they've got at least +1 and much more.

The worst part is how come that is still worth 680??? Earlier matches had none of + characters and 682-688. I think I need to build anti-green mage team as that's all I see now.
You need something red with decent Res. Nino does not like red things that can attack at range. That Sophia build I posted will do the job, but that's not the only way to do it. Red magic or Ryoma would be a way to get at it. But if you have Ryoma, you wouldn't be posting this.

Ninian is not too hard to beat if you use a not-red color. Watch out for Ninians with Triangle Adept, though. Falchions won't harm them.

Oh an update on the Sophia build. At 4 stars, only +Def without -HP will be tough enough to take on any Kagero. At 5, any not -Def or -HP has a shot.

Vena

I am running none of those. I am in the 680s and with a 4* Setsuna haha.

PK Gaming

They changed the matchmaking system so you aren't heavily penalized for running mages and other low BST units. So watch out :x

They changed the matchmaking system so you aren't heavily penalized for running mages and other low BST units. So watch out :x

Right but the match making is really confusing now. I can run no merged units with all high raw BST and the game will match make me with a lot of merged units that have insane stats and the best skills available. Then the next match I am playing against someone with no merged units and less skills for the same score

Sushen

I am running none of those. I am in the 680s and with a 4* Setsuna haha.

Right but the match making is really confusing now. I can run no merged units with all high raw BST and the game will match make me with a lot of merged units that have insane stats and the best skills available. Then the next match I am playing against someone with no merged units and less skills for the same score

That's exactly what I'm talking about. It seems more confusing to make sense out of what gets you the high score. On top of it, if 4* gets as high of score as stacked up 5*, what's the point of grinding?

You can't get another Robin (F) if you've already beaten the map?

I am perfectly fine with this. It would be unfair for anyone to have extra GHB units compared to others. Apparently, there are quests tied to these battles, so there is still something new to gain.

I don't have 4* Ursula, because that battle was way too difficult with the units I had. I hope to see that one reshuffle.

Sushen

We don't know the bonus characters yet? I don't want to spend 20k feathers but if Zephiel is the only one I have, I'll be force to...or, I'll see how 4* Zephiel fairs.

scy

Hopefully they get around to repeating all of them. Can't wait to get a Narcian on my other account. To eat for Lancebreaker 3.

Edit: We have another week of the current guys before you have to worry, right? Should be Zephiel, Anna, and then the next banner with a few unknowns I think? Probably Hana and Felicia based on the other Arena bonuses that match up with the Daily rotation.

Sushen

Hopefully they get around to repeating all of them. Can't wait to get a Narcian on my other account. To eat for Lancebreaker 3.

Edit: We have another week of the current guys before you have to worry, right? Should be Zephiel, Anna, and then the next banner with a few unknowns I think? Probably Hana and Felicia based on the other Arena bonuses that match up with the Daily rotation.
Oh it's 2 week cycle? That's great.

Oh it's 2 week cycle? That's great.

Yep, arena runs two weeks on a new hero banner with a new hero banner coming out at the start of the second week. Meaning we should have a new hero banner starting tomorrow. Then that banner's heroes will be the bonus units starting next week for two weeks with Zephiel.

Rinse repeat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom