• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fake News is Sad

curls

Wake up Sheeple, your boring insistence that Obama is not a lizardman from Atlantis is wearing on my patience 💤
I’m am so grateful that no one I am acquaintances with seems to buy into any sort of conspiracy theory.

Why are people grouping conspiracies together? ABSURD

cordy

Banned
It's like all those random publications we saw at grocery stores as kids that were fake, shit like "Jesus is returning on SUNDAY" and "Bat-boy is ragging hell on all cities", are now popping up in actual conversations in ways that people think it's real.

Discourse

I recently went on a hike up a mountain with some friends I hadn't seen in years and one of their American friends who came along was a believer in these crackpot theories. There's nothing worse than being stuck on an hours long journey with someone who believes the earth is flat and doesn't want to speak about anything else.

Gaardus

Someone I'm friends with on Facebook who is pro-Trump literally just posted this on Facebook:

http://www.react365.com/59c41543afcf2/out-of-state-tuition-to-be-eliminated-altogether.html

When clicking on the link, all it literally says is "due to the U.S. and Donald Trump pushing out illegal immigrants, this frees up more room in the budget for college students to get an education anywhere in the U.S."

That's it. No explanation of how it would actually work or anything. But this friend vehemently believes this is real.

B-but there's literally a giant "Create A Prank" button below the article. How does your friend-? ARGH

I am disappointed with people I know that fall for this crap. Some of these webpages look like they barely left 2002. That should be s red flag.

It speaks to the lack of literacy in the some places when people aren't aware "You can't trust everything you read" is a thing. I get the feeling way too many people take things at face value.

Was talking with a professor, and he was teaching Critical Thinking this term, and he was saying a recent study reached the conclusion that Critical Thinking was a better indicator of positive future choices than intelligence.

Frankly, any future ideas about education should include critical thinking at the very top. We're failing people at the moment.

night814

I stopped going to all social media a few years ago. Just got tired of the worst sharing of dumb stories/non-news. I now live in a Neo-GAF bubble. Feels good.

I have a coworker that links a bunch of stupid shit in the team slack all the time. Nobody wants to deal with him, it just gets ignored. He's been raving about the "secret history of Antarctica" for weeks.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I have a coworker that links a bunch of stupid shit in the team slack all the time. Nobody wants to deal with him, it just gets ignored. He's been raving about the "secret history of Antarctica" for weeks.

Ah, a Flat-Earther. That's too bad.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

Hesh

I really hate how "fake news" gained traction and is now an accepted term. I feel like it downplays the seriousness of outright lies and propaganda considering how many people I see laugh off "fake news" like it's a harmless nothing and then believe outright lies in the same breath.

Hit 'em with facts.

Sadly, that doesn't work nearly as well as it should.

JWNXdI6.png

LCGeek

formerly sane
People in general don't have the capacity or attention span for that much critical thinking otherwise.

I hope you want to add our cultures and ways of life encourage that a little too much.

People can't become more enlightened or behave more responsibile towards themselves or the species if they are essentially left to their instincts after being fed bullshit, superstitions, ideologies, and belief systems that are inherently false since they were kids. Those in power milk those below the knowing this.

mortal

Gold Member
Continue to talk to him, continue to engage whenever it's possible for you. That goes for anyone you believe to be genuinely misinformed.

Due to a myriad of factors, not everyone has the same level of understanding or reasoning, not everyone is on the same page. Some people have been exposed to misinformation for so long it shapes their overall worldview, which makes it rather difficult to convince them otherwise.
If we want ignorant people to stop being ignorant and start expressing themselves more in line with truth and reality. Shouldn't we take up the responsibility to engage them and inform them, whenever it's within our means to do so?

If you're willing to complain about people falling victim to falsehood, then set them on the right path. Give them counter-arguments with proper sources, so they are better informed and are able to make the conclusion more in line with the truth.

As an individual, that's the most you can do. You can't force them what to believe, but you can meet them halfway.

That is if you care enough about that person, to begin with.

I've stopped bothering to find sources to disprove whatever false news story my mom has decided to believe in this week. Sometimes though I do want to scream at her that the fact that she wouldn't be surprised if it's true is not proof that it is true.

ChrisD

Alright I read this as Fox News (what's the difference?) and was flabbergasted after reading the bit about aliens in the OP.

That person sounds dumb tbh. Anyone who can honestly buy into aliens sounds dumb to me, though.

E: by aliens I mean the stereotypical big heads, green/gray, UFO to wipe your memory stuff.

SoulUnison

Banned
Alright I read this as Fox News (what's the difference?) and was flabbergasted after reading the bit about aliens in the OP.

That person sounds dumb tbh. Anyone who can honestly buy into aliens sounds dumb to me, though.

I mean... Really?
With the infinite scale of our unknown universe?
Obviously I'm not talking about actual contact or ongoing interstellar correspondence in a conspiracy theory fashion, but anyone that can buy into the idea of there being life anywhere else in the entire universe is dumb?

ChrisD

I mean... Really?
With the infinite scale of our unknown universe?
Obviously I'm not talking about actual contact or ongoing interstellar correspondence in a conspiracy theory fashion, but anyone that can buy into the idea of there being life anywhere else in the entire universe is dumb?

Lemme edit that, I mean the whole big heads, green/gray, probe you and wipe your memory type. What I presume Fake News would try to roll out.

I'm sure there's more life out there. It's even more dumb to believe humans are the only smart beings out in the universe. :p

Top Bottom