• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon: COD WWII’s ‘diversity’ is nothing more than marketing

Article is bullshit but let's examine the non-white contributions in WW2

So, we've got the european powers (not including dominions) - Britain, France, Germany/Austria, Russian, Finland, Italy, various others - pretty much all white although I dare say Britain may have had the odd black or brown face.

Then there are the Turks, who span a number races given their location. Then there are the Arabs in North Africa, then there are Britain's Indian troops and the Gurkhas (from Nepal).

Then we have China and Japan, obviously 100% non-white.

The ANZACs - would they include soldiers from indigenous groups? I have no idea.

And then there is the US and Canada, The US in particular had segregated black troops as recognised in this game and in Battlefield One.

edit: Did Britain have any (sub-Saharan) African troops?

Did I get anything wrong or miss anyone out (almost certainly I did).

In games, I guess the biggest omission is Chinese, Indian and Gurkha representation although I don't claim to have played every WW2 game so I'm not sure. I'd love to play a Gurkha mission though.

Yeah, the Maori Battalion fought in Greece, North Africa and Italy.

ironcreed

Banned
Even if all of the devs were white, what difference does it make? All of this anti-white shit is insane and is the very thing that we all are supposed to be against. I mean for crying out loud, having a team of white guys does not automatically make them evil or racist. Yet it increasingly seems like it is a crime to some folks just to even be white these days.

This kind of bullshit editorial is why people don't take people complaining about a lack of diversity seriously and does way more damage then good by making people wanting more diverse media look like overly reactionary sensational asshats.

So good going Polygon. "Sarcastic slow clap"

Equality.

latest

EDIT: In reference to the characters in the game all getting a chance to kill one another. Not just a bunch of white folks killing Nazis and Japanese forces. Really gotta clarify that! lol

Even if all of the devs were white, what difference does it make? All of this anti-white shit is insane and is the very thing that we all are supposed to be against. I mean for crying out loud, having a team of white guys does not automatically make them evil or racist. Yet it increasingly seems like it is a crime to some folks just to even be white these days.
This isn't Hello Games where it's an independent team of like a dozen people. Sledgehammer is a major studio with over 200 employees. If every one of those 200 people was white, that would be a serious problem. Do you really need to have that explained to you?

What is "all of this anti-white shit"? Where does it seem like a crime to be white these days?

I do agree that an all-white team can still have plenty of inclusivity in their videogames. There are a lot of examples of that. But when problems do arise in relation to the lack of diversity, having an all-white team can be an easy excuse.

ironcreed

Banned
This isn't Hello Games where it's an independent team of like a dozen people. Sledgehammer is a major studio with over 200 employees. If every one of those 200 people was white, that would be a serious problem. Do you really need to have that explained to you?

Thankfully that is not the case, though. But even still, I would not care if they were all Asian, African American, Arab or whatever. It makes no difference to me just as long as there is no deep-seeded racist motives behind what they doing, which there are certainly not here.

This article is funny because if they didn't try to be inclusive at all and was 100% white male, this article may never have been written.

Its almost as if Polygon is complaining that the devs went out of thrir way to include women and african americans.

"People want diversity in games!"

"Oh what, they're just including diversity because people want it???"

I'm confused what the issue is here if we don't actually know what the campaign is like yet

There is no issue yet (as you said, don't know what's in the campaign). Polygon needed clicks so that's pretty much why this article exists.

Writers gotta eat!

Luq

They are either masters of trolling or completely lost their minds.

Whatever it is - it's still funny as hell to watch them trying so hard to create shitstorms :D

This might be the worst article I've seen from Polygon, even more so than their Mario Kart chart.

Polygon's gonna polygon

Article was probably ready to go before the game was even shown today

Edit: uh what "that tradition doesn’t genuinely include brothers of other races, or brothers who don’t identify as male."

Is, is that talking about trans women? Or about all kinds of women?

Because it doesn't make sense either way

Toa TAK

Banned
Why not feature the 442nd? A highly decorated infantry regiment made up of Japanese-Americans (mostly from Hawaii) who fought for a country that was also interning people who had the same background. To me that just seems ripe for great story telling, although not what I would expect from COD.
You have no idea how long I've waited for a war game to explore this.

No, I am all for diversity. I simply think all of this anti-white shit going on flies in the face of that and represents the very thing we are supposed to be against. This article being a good example.

The fact that you view calls for diversity, inclusion and equality as "anti white shit" is the root of the problem. You are pulling some real "all lives matter" bullshit right now. Nobody is asking for "better" treatment than white people. Nobody is asking for people of color or women to be put ahead of white males in the game industry. People are simply asking for more representation, because even if you want to live in your "race doesn't matter I don't see color" fantasy land, it absolutely does matter.

DrArchon

OK, so if devs don't have a diverse cast they're obviously fucked, and if they do have one, they'll still have nutjobs saying they aren't doing it for the right reasons? What? Can anyone even PROVE that Sledgehammer added minorities to their game for the wrong reason? Is there a wrong reason?

Holy fuck this is stupid.

I actually read the article and even if it were all true and well researched, the ultra-smug moral superiority complex tone of it made me feel embarrassed for the writer.

Sorry, I don't care how right you are, condescension and smugness is a quick way to looking like a petty child.

ironcreed

Banned
The fact that you view calls for diversity, inclusion and equality as "anti white shit" is the root of the problem. You are pulling some real "all lives matter" bullshit right now. Nobody is asking for "better" treatment than white people. Nobody is asking for people of color or women to be put ahead of white males in the game industry. People are simply asking for more representation, because even if you want to live in your "race doesn't matter I don't see color" fantasy land, it absolutely does matter.

I never said that calls for diversity are bad, so I don't know where you are getting that. Merely the hateful anti-white sentiment, which is pretty loud these days from some folks and represents the very thing we are supposed to be against. Articles like this being a good example, as it paints having all white guys unveiling a game and talking about diversity as a negative, whereas that should not matter at all to one were they truly 'inclusive.'

At any rate, they are clearly wrong here. Which is par for the course when it comes to Polygon. I'll not deviate from the topic further and will be moving on from it.

Article is bullshit but let's examine the non-white contributions in WW2

So, we've got the european powers (not including dominions) - Britain, France, Germany/Austria, Russian, Finland, Italy, various others - pretty much all white although I dare say Britain may have had the odd black or brown face.

Then there are the Turks, who span a number races given their location. Then there are the Arabs in North Africa, then there are Britain's Indian troops and the Gurkhas (from Nepal).

Then we have China and Japan, obviously 100% non-white.

The ANZACs - would they include soldiers from indigenous groups? I have no idea.

And then there is the US and Canada, The US in particular had segregated black troops as recognised in this game and in Battlefield One.

edit: Did Britain have any (sub-Saharan) African troops?

Did I get anything wrong or miss anyone out (almost certainly I did).

In games, I guess the biggest omission is Chinese, Indian and Gurkha representation although I don't claim to have played every WW2 game so I'm not sure. I'd love to play a Gurkha mission though.

The US also had a segregated Japanese-American regiment that fought on the European front:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/442nd_Infantry_Regiment_(United_States)

It's really an amazing story. They were "the most decorated unit for its size and length of service in the history of American warfare" and fought for America despite the fact that many of their family members were being held in Japanese internment camps back in America during the war (despite being U.S. citizens).

I never said that calls for diversity are bad, so I don't know where you are getting that. Merely the hateful anti-white sentiment, which is pretty loud these days from some folks and represents the very thing we are supposed to be against. Articles like this being a good example, as it paints having all white guys unveiling a game and talking about diversity as a negative, whereas that should not matter at all to one were they truly 'inclusive.'

At any rate, they are clearly wrong here. Which is par for the course when it comes to Polygon. I'll not deviate from the topic further and will be moving on from it.

This article is bad and is being called out for it by people on both sides of the issue so where exactly is this antiwhite bullshit that you claim it so prevalent?

ironcreed

Banned
Again where?

I am not going to dig up scenarios that are everywhere on the daily. This article is just another example of it. There are calls for diversity and that is all well and good, but there is also a hateful ant-white sentiment that is out there as well. Sorry you have not noticed.

dubq

No, I am all for diversity. I simply think all of this anti-white shit going on flies in the face of that and represents the very thing we are supposed to be against. This article being a good example.

I am not going to dig up scenarios that are everywhere on the daily. This article is just another example of it. There are calls for diversity and that is all well and good, but there is also a hateful ant-white sentiment that is out there as well. Sorry you have not noticed.

You sure like to spout off about anti-white this and that a lot. Do you have a hard time differentiating calls for inclusivity with imaginary reverse-racism? Has someone from ANTIFA punched you in the face recently?

Also..

Sorry, but no. If you're going to make statements like the ones you're making, but cant be bothered to "dig up scenarios that are everywhere on the daily" then don't make fucking statements like that. Don't even bring it to the table if you can't source it.

Don't be that guy.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
And even if it was an all white making checkboxes, it is better than nothing.
Exactly. I hate the "minorities and women need a reason to be included in games" argument that is often seen on the internet. Straight white men don't need a reason to be included, nor they need to be well-written characters, which is another common argument against including women and minorities.

Besides, what's the problem with "checking all the diversity boxes"? Wouldn't that mean the game is indeed diverse? I'd rather get games with good representation for the "wrong reasons" than an "honest" all white male cast. I wish every game included tons of "insincere" diversity, like this game seems to be doing, according to the article author.

C'mon man, don't be like this. You know, or at least should, that this isn't about making white guys feel guilty for their skin color. It's about the fact that having a diverse team can bring different perspectives and points of view, which will improve the game in the end.

The US also had a segregated Japanese-American regiment that fought on the European front:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/442nd_Infantry_Regiment_(United_States)

It's really an amazing story. They were "the most decorated unit for its size and length of service in the history of American warfare" and fought for America despite the fact that many of their family members were being held in Japanese internment camps back in America during the war (despite being U.S. citizens).

I had never heard of these guys either until you and that other poster brought it up. It's kind of hard to imagine what was going through their heads.

Top Bottom