• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon: COD WWII’s ‘diversity’ is nothing more than marketing

mXyupD1.gif

ViciousDS

Banned
All white huh

One look at their fucking Instagram shows me quite a few ethnicities.

Come on polygon it took 5 god damn seconds to search it. You are so fucking pathetic

Kinyou

The whole "forced diversity", "diversity for marketing", and "virtue signaling" thing is gamergate language.
I think you misunderstood the article. It's arguing that minorities aren't featured enough and just reduced to a checkmark. Something which is of course impossible to say since the game isn't out yet.

The complaint about token characters isn't unique to gamergate

Alo0oy

Banned
I think you misunderstood the article. It's arguing that minorities aren't featured enough and just reduced to a checkmark. Something which is of course impossible to say since the game isn't out yet.

If you would have copy pasted the article and put it in KiA, I wouldn't have known the difference apart from a few terms. ¯_(ツ)_/ ¯

Maybe it's just polygon being tone deaf, but that's not an excuse.

Kinyou

If you would have copy pasted the article and put it in KiA, I wouldn't have known the difference apart from a few terms. ¯_(ツ)_/ ¯

Maybe it's just polygon being tone deaf, but that's not an excuse.
I'm not sure I'd see people on KiA arguing for more minority involvement. The polygon article is more in line with some of the responses after force awakens was released

http://www.indiewire.com/2015/12/hyper-tokenism-the-force-awakens-while-the-black-man-sleeps-162287/

Just that they couldn't even wait to see the final product.

cooldawn

The reveal was too obviously scripted for my liking and not much is known apart from cannibalising 'boots on the ground'. Visuals are below my expectations too.

Didn't see a KAR98 rifle either.

Deft Beck

Another hot take from Polygon. As much as I like some of their features, they like to punt out articles like this to get clicks even if their premises make no sense.

I don't understand how their video content can be so good and their website such trash.

But I think everyone understands that's the way things are.

Wow Polygon, what a hot take!

CoD has let you choose to be a woman or a person of color in multiplayer since 2013. That makes them light years ahead of some other major games I could mention.

From SolidSnakex in the other thread:

codbbo28.png

Simply epic.

In polygons defense, they're not saying the game was an all-white production...They said the Trailer reveal event was.
I didn't watch, can anyone say if there were women or non white dudes doing the presentation?

Tregard

Soothsayer
There is also the case to be made that since the game has just been revealed, absolutely every single detail about the game is "nothing more than marketing".

Freezing cold take right here.

I don't understand how their video content can be so good and their website such trash.

But I think everyone understands that's the way things are.

Nick Robinson, Tara Long, Simone De Rochefort, Griffin McElroy and Russ Frushtick are good. Nick and Tara were the remnants of Rev3.

Deft Beck

Like, are there particular examples you have in mind? Because isn't the whole point about diversity and representation that these things are normal etc? I mean you say they don't care about it but you literally have no proof of that : /

Something like Overwatch wasn't created as "Let's be super diverse" but more of a "So, we have many different nationalities, genders and sexualities among the dev team at Blizz and the game is set on Earth so...why don't we reflect that?".

Diversity and representation mean nothing unless you put in the effort to make your diverse representatives meaningful to the larger context of the game's themes versus just being stapled in there.

I would appreciate more minority representation in historical games if they make a proper effort to make the characters meaningful to the larger narrative and respectful to the real life military personnel.

Alo0oy

Banned
I'm not sure I'd see people on KiA arguing for more minority involvement. The polygon article is more in line with some of the responses after force awakens was released

http://www.indiewire.com/2015/12/hyper-tokenism-the-force-awakens-while-the-black-man-sleeps-162287/

The Polygon article is arguing that diversity is "marketing", which is an argument KiA is definitely fond of: "Devs are forcing diversity for marketing points". It's not masked by the same vitrol as KiA, which is why I called it tone deaf.

emag

That's part of the problem with having games set in historical settings. Deviating too far from history can become an issue. However, I have't played the game yet so I will reserve judgement.

India had about as many soldiers in WWII as did the UK proper, and the largest all-volunteer army in history. There's no historical merit to WWII being a whites-only war, even outside of the Pacific front.

I wish people would honestly stop giving them clicks. They write crap like this all the time, and then we all click on it to laugh at them and they cash in. Cycle repeats.Let this terrible website die in irrelevancy like it deserves to.

Curufinwe

Nick Robinson, Tara Long, Simone De Rochefort, Griffin McElroy and Russ Frushtick are good. Nick and Tara were the remnants of Rev3.

Frushtick is still living in a fantasy land where he believes Sony exclusives don't sell well. Like he's a Team Xbox writer in 2007.

Article is bullshit but let's examine the non-white contributions in WW2

So, we've got the european powers (not including dominions) - Britain, France, Germany/Austria, Russian, Finland, Italy, various others - pretty much all white although I dare say Britain may have had the odd black or brown face.

Then there are the Turks, who span a number races given their location. Then there are the Arabs in North Africa, then there are Britain's Indian troops and the Gurkhas (from Nepal).

Then we have China and Japan, obviously 100% non-white.

The ANZACs - would they include soldiers from indigenous groups? I have no idea.

And then there is the US and Canada, The US in particular had segregated black troops as recognised in this game and in Battlefield One.

edit: Did Britain have any (sub-Saharan) African troops?

Did I get anything wrong or miss anyone out (almost certainly I did).

In games, I guess the biggest omission is Chinese, Indian and Gurkha representation although I don't claim to have played every WW2 game so I'm not sure. I'd love to play a Gurkha mission though.

Regardless of who is making the game it seems odd to see that stuff tacked on as a PR blurb after showing us yet another landing on Normandy and fighting on the western front..

Why not feature the 442nd? A highly decorated infantry regiment made up of Japanese-Americans (mostly from Hawaii) who fought for a country that was also interning people who had the same background. To me that just seems ripe for great story telling, although not what I would expect from COD.

It's possible that the story sections that they are talking about end up being a significant part of the game. Which I hope is the case. From what we have seen though that seems unlikely.

Even if the Polygon writer badly misses the point and seems to be catering to an audience that wants to get offended, there is a point to be made here. Is this about really showcasing the variety of ways people experienced WWII or is this about just redoing the same movie that John Wayne was in 60 years ago.

The Polygon article is arguing that diversity is "marketing", which is an argument KiA is definitely fond of: "Devs are forcing diversity for marketing points". It's not masked by the same vitrol as KiA, which is why I called it tone deaf.

Except Polygon were asking the team to do more than checkboxing, KiA don't want any diversity at all. Very different.

From SolidSnakex in the other thread:

codbbo28.png
On this point they were talking about the people on stage, not in promo videos. The hosts and guests were 100% white.

KiDdYoNe

I usually go past these kind of statements and opinions since I am just a guy from another culture. I don't get the lawsuits on every good occasion and all these gender/color scandals. But this shit right here is just fucking ridiculous.

Polygon gonna Polygon, but hey, you got that click of mine.

Why not feature the 442nd? A highly decorated infantry regiment made up of Japanese-Americans (mostly from Hawaii) who fought for a country that was also interning people who had the same background. To me that just seems ripe for great story telling, although not what I would expect from COD.

That would be really interesting.

People get properly lambasted for saying things like "I don't mind women/trans people/other ethnicities in my games, I just want them to be written well. I want them to suit the game, and not just be thrown in for the sake of diversity." The assumption is that these people will always find an excuse to call minorities "written poorly/unrealistically," and the retort is "why do they need to be written well or suit the game, when white males aren't held to that same standard? Why are they default?"

This article feels like arriving at the same conclusion from the opposite side of things. Going so left you end up on the right. Polygon doesn't mind diversity, it just wants it to suit the game, and not have it thrown in just for the sake of diversity.

Alo0oy

Banned
Except Polygon were asking the team to do more than checkboxing, KiA don't want any diversity at all. Very different.

I'm glad Polygon are pushing for more diversity, but I'm not fond of a left leaning gaming site legitimizing the idea that "diversity is just marketing". My issue is the framing of the article.

I'd be with them if it was a more thoughtful long form article, arguing for more representation from East Asia, and especially The Middle East (at least to make up for the fact that we're always the terrorists that need to be eradicated by the white American hero).

But no, we get a bullshit tone deaf click bait article like this.

On this point they were talking about the people on stage, not in promo videos. The hosts and guests were 100% white.

Considering this is Polygon I wouldn't be surprised if they just tried to spin putting some minorities on stage as just more pandering and evil evil "marketing".

There is no interesting point or discussion being covered by this article. It is just a pathetic hot take about a product which they even admit they have no real concrete knowledge of.

Seems like you just can't ever win this war. If you say the cast is all white males, it's not diverse enough. If you say you have a multi cultural race/gender representation it's considered "forced" or marketing. If you don't mention anything it's because you are trying to hide something.

What's a business to do in this case Polygon?

boiled goose

good with gravy
Polygon asserts it's only marketing.

Then covers their ass saying they wont know till it launches.

Trollish, cowardly, click bait, bigot bait article.

Shame. Shame.

Diversity in a WWII game would be having Russia, Parts of Scandinavia, Central and Eastern Europe, Africa & their peoples etc as focal points of their games and not the usual US UK character and Normandy landing level.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Seems like you just can't ever win this war. If you say the cast is all white males, it's not diverse enough. If you say you have a multi cultural race/gender representation it's considered "forced" or marketing. If you don't mention anything it's because you are trying to hide something.

What's a business to do in this case Polygon?

It's almost like Polygon doesn't actually care about diversity just clicks and ad revenue.

Pennywise

Diversity in a WWII game would be having Russia, Parts of Scandinavia, Central and Eastern Europe, Africa & their peoples etc as focal points of their games and not the usual US UK character and Normandy landing level.
CoD had a russian campaign at one point. Stalingrad mission was pretty glorious at the time and you'll play from that point until you actually reach Berlin.

Such a shame that these aren't in or the attack on Poland.

jacobeid

Banned
I for one am shocked that such a reputable journalism site such as Polygon would make such a critical error.

/s Polygon has always been a joke. we all knew what we were getting before it launched so why do we even give them clicks?

KageButa

Neo Member
Ohhhh shutup polygon. The game director for sledgehammer is blck. I might understand this article if we had played the game and seen the content, but this was a reveal. Just being outraged for the sake of being outraged.

For all the people on here using this employee as an example of ethnic diversity in leadership need to understand his title. Development Directors are merely task scheduling managers. They don't make design decisions, they don't make art. They work in excel sheets, ask how long something will take, and later ask why it isn't done yet. At Sledgehammer games Glen Schofield and Micheal Condrey are the two top leadership positions and they are both white men. Most if not all of the largest game studios are run by white men.

Nottle

It would be nice to have a non Britain, Russian or American view point.

On subject of the article, that complaint is dumb. If there wasn't any diversity then people would also be complaining .

Top Bottom