• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon: COD WWII’s ‘diversity’ is nothing more than marketing

D i Z

That's part of the problem with having games set in historical settings. Deviating too far from history can become an issue. However, I have't played the game yet so I will reserve judgement.

Come again?

I don't have a problem with a historic setting using historic stories. In fact, I hope the game nails it. The WWII setting has been done to death so a fresh outlook on the setting along with telling stories that may have been overlook and done well would be fantastic.

I was just saying when you pick a setting as important as WWII and along with a diversity message you will have detractors such as this article. and if you insert diversity into stories where none existed you are doing no one any favors. But as I said I will reserve judgement and hope that the game does a great job.

I see.

I love how the title of this piece is painfully ironic, it shows an extreme lack of self-awareness.

I hope any good writer there can find another job because this outlet has overstayed it's welcome by years now.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
From SolidSnakex in the other thread:

codbbo28.png

Simply epic.

This article is shit, but I took "all white production" away based on the trailer. There was none of the diversity talked about present in the pieces of media put out for this game so far. Unless I missed something of course. =x

jediyoshi

This article is shit, but I took "all white production" away based on the trailer. There was none of the diversity talked about present in the pieces of media put out for this game so far. Unless I missed something of course. =x

Do you see the entirety of the post you're quoting?

ZeoVGM

Banned
From SolidSnakex in the other thread:

codbbo28.png

Simply epic.

Polygon is a complete embarrassment to the gaming industry and the idea of "journalism" in general.

As far as I'm concerned, this is the worst thing they've ever done. The Mario Kart pie graph is fun to bring up because of how incredibly ridiculous and nonsensical it was. But this is another form of clickbait: they are attacking actual people who put time and effort into this game by making baseless claims while doing absolutely zero research.

Fuck Polygon.

BigPete

Back when Polygon was first launched they had some really great content. It makes me sad that all the click chasing has brought them to this. Is it impossible to have talent, integrity, and dedication to quality and still be profitable?

NexusCell

Polygon's good content is being vastly overshadowed by the pure, unadulterated garbage of their articles and opinion pieces. At this point it may be worth getting rid of the entire site . I'm sure another company will pick up the slack when it comes to long form pieces.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=234855727&postcount=240

We can assume a studio that looks like this would put their own spin of WW2 in a positive direction.

These are people my age, not old white dudes. They seem to be fully aware of these types of things, so i think a benefit of a doubt is in order.

Matticers

For now, the tone-deaf manner in which this all-white production checked all the diversity boxes — “women, an African-American unit and even a child” — reduced everyone else to a bullet point on the back of a box, yet another feature. We’ve got a private multiplayer beta; we’ve got zombies; we’ve got black people, we’ve got women, we’ve got a Jew.

This is exactly why devs can't win anymore when it comes to creating a story in a game. It's a lose/lose scenario at this point. You're including women in the game? Not good enough. Better make it a game starring a woman or we're pissed off. You're featuring African American soldiers in the game? Nope, not good enough for us. Better somehow create a story for the entire campaign that can focus on them or prepare for nasty comments about your game. Instead of being happy that those things are even included in the game in some form for the players, they'll bitch that it's not enough or they'll say the devs only included it to appease people.

It's just stupid at this point. You can't please everyone. You'll always have people bitching and crying that games aren't diverse enough. Just make a good game, that's all I ask.

This is like the worst studio to target with this complaint.

website-imageljo69.jpg

kiqlw.jpg

Really!

I remember going to the theater opening night to watch Saving Private Ryan in 1998 - and then being so stoked and excited to play Medal of Honor in 1999 on the PSOne and I don't remember any of this "white-washing", "diversity-or-bust" mantra preceding either of those releases.

Is this just a sign of the times? Is it what the media are calling "snowflakes"? I just want to play a game that's an interactive Saving Private Ryan/Band Of Brothers so I can virtually tread through what made the United States not only a force to be reckoned with, but a place for freedom and diversity, where we all can get along and live harmoniously - in peace.

I'm actually watching Schindler's List as I type this and I'm about 22 minutes from the end of the film. Polygon or anyone else that wants to call "white-washing" or a "lack of diversity" in interactive entertainment - track down a living Schindler Jew and see how they feel about labeling a video game in that regard.

ghostjoke

Banned
Somewhere, there's an actual journalist(s) who has been researching and examining how games handle and could improve the inclusion of minorities in WWII without coming across as pandering/exploitative and where deviation are necessary without trivialising the internal tensions present from outside the war. Then Polygon burst in like the Kool-Aid Man and add a mountain for them to climb in order to be taken seriously.

they want you to think this is a more inclusive tale of World War II. It may yet be. We won’t know until Nov. 3.

How do two people write this and neither question what they are doing? Seriously? This sounds like an editor's note.

Now let's see if they have or let someone pick a female model in the game. Since only every American War (except Vietnam?) Where some women snuck in and did combat fighting

wildfire

Banned
This is like the worst studio to target with this complaint.

website-imageljo69.jpg

kiqlw.jpg

I remember a time I read Polygon articles because they raised awareness of different cultures in gaming.

In the last few years they've been so sloppy that they have transformed from a news outlet into a tabloid rag.

Somewhere, there's an actual journalist(s) who has been researching and examining how games handle and could improve the inclusion of minorities in WWII without coming across as pandering/exploitative and where deviation are necessary without trivialising the internal tensions present from outside the war. Then Polygon burst in like the Kool-Aid Man and add a mountain for them to climb in order to be taken seriously.

How do two people write this and neither question what they are doing? Seriously? This sounds like an editor's note.

What soft-natured/easily offended individuals need to come to grips with, is that during the conflict that was World War II - there was not a tremendous amount of diversity/inclusion in the fighting forces. There was segregation, there was persecution, there were horrible atrocities committed by the Germans upon the Jewish community - there's no need to alter history into some kind of fantasy-level nonsense - it is what it was and it was what it is - we all learned about it in grade school.

Are some individuals really expecting Sledgehammer Games to just scratch the whole COD: WWII project and add-in everything that's currently acceptable as far as diversity/inclusion is concerned - at the cost of altering history??

This is simply an interactive historically-accurate game; Polygon is as always, a flushed toilet.

Treat both as such.

cameron

Polygon's trash does a huge disservice to any nuanced discussion, because it has the tendency to elicit reactions like this:
This is exactly why devs can't win anymore when it comes to creating a story in a game. It's a lose/lose scenario at this point. You're including women in the game? Not good enough. Better make it a game starring a woman or we're pissed off. You're featuring African American soldiers in the game? Nope, not good enough for us. Better somehow create a story for the entire campaign that can focus on them or prepare for nasty comments about your game. Instead of being happy that those things are even included in the game in some form for the players, they'll bitch that it's not enough or they'll say the devs only included it to appease people.

It's just stupid at this point. You can't please everyone. You'll always have people bitching and crying that games aren't diverse enough. Just make a good game, that's all I ask.

Cartman86

Banned
What soft-natured/easily offended individuals need to come to grips with, is that during the conflict that was World War II - there was not a tremendous amount of diversity/inclusion in the fighting forces. There was segregation, there was persecution, there were horrible atrocities committed by the Germans upon the Jewish community - there's no need to alter history into some kind of fantasy-level nonsense - it is what it was and it was what it is - we all learned about it in grade school.

Are some individuals really expecting Sledgehammer Games to just scratch the whole COD: WWII project and add-in everything that's currently acceptable as far as diversity/inclusion is concerned - at the cost of altering history??

This is simply an interactive historically-accurate game; Polygon is as always, a flushed toilet.

Treat both as such.

Way to fuck up a reply to a perfectly reasonable post.

Already happening.
This is also true in co-op and the campaign.

That's amazing news. The more I hear about the game the better I feel, but they did an absolutely awful job of communicating any of it in their reveal trailer. The majority of consumers will investigate this reveal as much as I did - watch the official reveal trailer and base assumptions off that. It was an all-white American led group supported by explosions and helmet-meets-face smashing. I was very worried.

Treat both as such.

What the...

No-one wants an American-only, white-male only, portrayal of WW2. Equally no-one wants to see race and gender diversity in a "fantasy" manner. A lot of people want to see the kind of shit that racial segregation led to, experience the war through the eyes of non-white Americans and Europeans, and play through a story that highlights the commitments that everyone made, not just the commitments that white males made. There's a lot of room between the two extremes you're painting.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Ah ok. So weird they only waited til now to research WW2

who is they? sledgehammer was not making COD games before AW. And its not really weird they are pushing for inclusiveness now. Back then, questioning social and cultural norms were not as accepted as today.

America has gotten undeniably more socially liberal and progressive.

Nor should it be, as it's generally used by GamerGate/Trump supporters who get angry whenever the word "diversity" is even mentioned.

that is why i warned the guy from using it?

Firenze1

Banned
Ridiculous how people whined about French not being focus in bf1 or that women wasnt playable in ww1 yet cod gets as free pass as usual. It will be about super hero american war again.

Vice

Treat both as such.
Altering what history? My black grandfather's fought in WWII.

Mr.Fox

Dear Polygon,

Please stop giving factual reasons for people to hate on "SJW"s.

Best regards,
your average gaming enthusiast that isn't a dickhead.

Top Bottom