• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

Pimpbaa

SteveMeister said:
The way barter works is very, very different from Morrowind... I don't think it has been explained anywhere yet, so I'll have to refrain from saying just how it is different right now. The economy & all that work much better, so there's not really a need for something like the talking mudcrab or Creeper.

Oh I abused that talking mudcrap something awful. I had a mod that put a door in the game that teleported you directly to him.

Speevy said:
Go argue with 1up about Burnout 360. I'm just offering my best guess, and this is a fan/anticipation thread.

what does 1up have to do with anything? its one thing to hype a game and its another to talk about shit you dont know borderline lying.

Speevy

Banned
Kabuki Waq said:
what does 1up have to do with anything? its one thing to hype a game and its another to talk about shit you dont know borderline lying.

Bethesda would have time to make it better, considering a likely reason for the removal of anything (including soft shadows) would have been time constraints, and not the 360 hardware

Read the post. How does this imply that I'm lying? I told the guy to ask Stevemeister, I said you'd have to assume Bethesda has time to make it better (valid, considering they moved the date once already), and I conjectured (a likely reason) that time constraints would be a likely reason for its removal.

But continue forward with your argument, see how much you can derail this thread. What do you hope to gain? I'm ESPECIALLY interested in the part where the PS3 should even be mentioned once in this thread.

I mentioned 1up because you seem to be angry for some reason tonight. Chill out.

Speevy said:
Read the post. How does this imply that I'm lying? I told the guy to ask Stevemeister, I said you'd have to assume Bethesda has time to make it better (valid, considering they moved the date once already), and I conjectured (a likely reason) that time constraints would be a likely reason for its removal.

But continue forward with your argument, see how much you can derail this thread. What do you hope to gain? I'm ESPECIALLY interested in the part where the PS3 should even be mentioned once in this thread.

I mentioned 1up because you seem to be angry for some reason tonight. Chill out.

im not trying to derail anything. Im not really a ps3 fanboy. Im just wondering why you think that was the "likely" reason for removing soft shadows. Considering they already missed the launch of the system and the holiday season? PS3 should not be mentioned. I agree. I just dont like blind fanboy logic. (unless its mine :p)

Speevy

Banned
This is my last post on the subject.

There are two alternatives.

Either:

A) The Xbox 360's limitations warranted removal of the soft shadows.
B) Time constraints and development of such an ambitious game warranted their removal.

I picked B, because given how little I know about graphics, it fits in with my perspective concerning the Xbox 360. xexex picks A, because I suppose he longs for hypothetically greener pastures with another console version of Oblivion.

GreekWolf

Speevy said:
There are two alternatives.

I think logic would dictate that the decision to remove soft-shadowing was due to "possible unforseen" performance issues, rather than any limitations of microsoft hardware.

Todd mentioned the possibility of players stacking up a mountain of items in a room, all of them casting shadows, and bringing the framerate to a crawl. Obviously, not too many people are going to make it a personal goal to create a Leaning Tower of Pisa, using daedric armor, but there's always the possibility that some jackass will do it.

Also, those ultra-mega monster PCs running the preview copy of the game had soft-shadowing removed as well. And the game still wasn't running fluidly as some would have liked.

golem

It may all be a moot point anyway. Oblivion will support the 360 controller on PC. BUT… not fully at release. While the controller will technically work, the PC version won't have the Xbox 360 interface to go along with it, which means it won't work well. However, Bethesda has said that they're planning to add the full support of the 360 controller in one of their first updates.
cool...

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
What bethesda can do with the xbox 360 is not the same as what others can do. That they couldn't keep soft shadows in isn't necessarily indicative of the xbox 360 being "weak" or whatever. Oblivion is still a great looking game with a massive scope, and we're seeing other graphical showcases like GRAAWWW early on in the console's life. There's nothing to worry about, put the weapon down son, etc. etc.

Gessle

Some info I got:

-The release date for Europe will be March 24th
-Prices for the PC version:
Oblivion: 49.99 €
Oblivion Collector's Edition: 59.99 €
- Prices for the Xbox360 version:
Oblivion: 59.99 - 64.99 €
Oblivion CE: 69.99 € (only in some countries: UK, Germany, France, maybe others... Spain is not getting it)

I found a 360 non-retard pack yesterday. I'm getting this game on day one. :D :D :D

(PS: PGR3 looks freaking awesome, even on a SDTV :O :O :O)

Xrenity

why didn't they call it oblIVion? To driv3r-esque? :+

Looking forward to this one. Huge areas to explore. It's like a singleplayer MMO, and that's exactly what I seem to like.

I was just listening to an interview with Todd Howard (Executive Producer) and he mentioned the Radiant AI editor in the Construction Set was amazing. For example, he said you can make a character with just two clicks that is motivated only to get gold by any means necessary. So you put him in a town and just watch him run around murdering people and stealing gold. Very awesome.

This tidbit has inspired me to make a Jack the Ripper character who stalks and murders women at night, and it's up to the player to find and stop him. :)

impirius

Xrenity said:
why didn't they call it oblIVion? To driv3r-esque? :+

Looking forward to this one. Huge areas to explore. It's like a singleplayer MMO, and that's exactly what I seem to like.
I may be remembering incorrectly, but I think the "IV" in "OBLIVION" stood out somehow in one of the earlier trailers.

RegularMK

impirius said:
I may be remembering incorrectly, but I think the "IV" in "OBLIVION" stood out somehow in one of the earlier trailers.

The teaser stuff on the webpage before the game was officially announced took that approach.

hyp

so what's the verdict on the framerate for this game? is it going to be locked w/ vsync at 30FPS on 360?? anyone know?

hyp said:
so what's the verdict on the framerate for this game? is it going to be locked w/ vsync at 30FPS on 360?? anyone know?

I'd say mostly 30 with the occasional drop under extreme circumstances.

R0nn

Speevy said:
Realistically, what are the best things that we should be able to download on Xbox Live 360?

New quests, new NPC's, new armor, new weapons, new items and new scenario's is what I would guess. I wonder if it would be possible to update the engine as well, so it can support stuff like soft shadows in the future. That could prove Speevy's point that the removal of that graphical effect wasn't because of the X360 hardware.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
R0nn said:
New quests, new NPC's, new armor, new weapons, new items and new scenario's is what I would guess. I wonder if it would be possible to update the engine as well, so it can support stuff like soft shadows in the future. That could prove Speevy's point that the removal of that graphical effect wasn't because of the X360 hardware.

Do you honestly think they're going to go, and spend a shit ton of time optimising further, just so a few people at GAF stop complaining about shadows?

:lol

And, even so, even if the engine could handle all the shaodws in the world during normal play, turning them on, and having a room piled up to the top with stuff is going to make anything turn into a slide show. You can't code for optimal scenarios, you code for the worst. If the worst is a room full of stuff, and it can't handle it, you don't include it.

SnakeXs said:
Do you honestly think they're going to go, and spend a shit ton of time optimising further, just so a few people at GAF stop complaining about shadows?

And, even so, even if the engine could handle all the shaodws in the world during normal play, turning them on, and having a room piled up to the top with stuff is going to make anything turn into a slide show. You can't code for optimal scenarios, you code for the worst. If the worst is a room full of stuff, and it can't handle it, you don't include it.

QFT.. a well placed fireball in your hoard of treasure would probably melt the hardware :lol

it's at amazon.ca for the same price as the normal edition..

I was totally going to do it.. but it says they don't expect the game until the 24th and two days shipping?

has anyone ever ordered from amazon.ca before??

oh and I played the first morowind and it was a cool game but, i got lost alot of the time with no clear path, i was overwhlemed and i just sold it.. will oblivion have a set path that will tell you were to go with the main quest?

Speevy

Banned
The NPCs told you where to go in Morrowind's main quest.

This series is about non-linearity and exploration. You're supposed to wander until you encounter new quests and adventures, or get lost while you're questing.

eso76

TemplaerDude said:
Anyone who is playing the Elder Scrolls for the graphics shouldn't be playing them in the first place.

yeah, i believe a lot of people who put oblivion at the top of their most wanted list are only hyped about graphics and know very little about the game, and will go "wtf is this ??" after wandering for a few minutes.

SnakeXs

DreamMachine said:
it's at amazon.ca for the same price as the normal edition..

I was totally going to do it.. but it says they don't expect the game until the 24th and two days shipping?

has anyone ever ordered from amazon.ca before??

oh and I played the first morowind and it was a cool game but, i got lost alot of the time with no clear path, i was overwhlemed and i just sold it.. will oblivion have a set path that will tell you were to go with the main quest?

No, and that's the beauty of it.

There's no excuse to get "lost" and have nothing to do. If you pay attention at all, you'll always know what to do, insofar as the main quest. And then there's so much else open to you.

The main quest, even in Morrowind, was fairly simply dictated through the Journal (Which I believed has been tweaked quite a bit, helping even more). Go here, do this, talk to him/her.

You maybe just got caught up with how daunting the world is at first.

Ark-AMN

Banned
that was the problem with the Journal system in the original Morrowind. There was no quest-based referencing in the menu that helped you figure out what things you were supposed to be doing. Because the journal was sorted by date only, you had to search back perhaps many many days in order to find a quest that you were already on.

From what everyone has said though, Oblivion has definately remedied this and the journal system will always keep you informed.

SnakeXs

Ark-AMN said:
that was the problem with the Journal system in the original Morrowind. There was no quest-based referencing in the menu that helped you figure out what things you were supposed to be doing. Because the journal was sorted by date only, you had to search back perhaps many many days in order to find a quest that you were already on.

From what everyone has said though, Oblivion has definately remedied this and the journal system will always keep you informed.

Although that definately was a likely issue for many players, I tended to play fairly organized myself. Get a quest, do a quest, juggle 2 tops. Always know who I'm dealing with, etc.

But, yeah, I believe now the Journal shows what's done, what's in progress, and possibly gives deeper information on what to do and where to go.

Ark-AMN said:

Indeed, the quests are now listed and organized in a clear, simple fashion.

Captain N

Steve I was just wondering how the weather is in this game? I wasn't sure if when it rains you'll see puddles and other things like that forming. Does it snow and if so..does the snow fall on the ground?

SnakeXs

Captain N said:
Steve I was just wondering how the weather is in this game? I wasn't sure if when it rains you'll see puddles and other things like that forming. Does it snow and if so..does the snow fall on the ground?

Yes, there is weather.

No it doesn't "affect" the world.

When it rains, it won't puddle, and where it snows, I believe there's already snow on the ground, so you can imagine that it's sticking.

Not that I get why minute details like puddles really matter, but that's besides the point.

Captain N

SnakeXs said:
Yes, there is weather.

No it doesn't "affect" the world.

When it rains, it won't puddle, and where it snows, I believe there's already snow on the ground, so you can imagine that it's sticking.

Not that I get why minute details like puddles really matter, but that's besides the point.

They don't matter to me. I was just seeing if they form or if the snow would fall on the ground. I think it'd be a nice touch that could've been added to the game.

Well, i decided to buy the game and got the limited edition and the stat guide so this time i won't get lost :D i got the limited for the same price as the normal edition and the strat guide for 33% off yes..

olbivion here i come.

sadly, though the shipping is a little while and i won't recive it till the 29th of march :(

not to long though because canada usally gets games later then everyone else.

SnakeXs

Captain N said:
They don't matter to me. I was just seeing if they form or if the snow would fall on the ground. I think it'd be a nice touch that could've been added to the game.

In a world where a team has unlimited time and money, sure.

In the real world, they prioritized what they wanted to do.

I guess gameplay and building the world and making the game fun was at the head of the list, and tiny, "cool" albeit useless things like that weren't.

Captain N

SnakeXs said:
In a world where a team has unlimited time and money, sure.

In the real world, they prioritized what they wanted to do.

I guess gameplay and building the world and making the game fun was at the head of the list, and tiny, "cool" albeit useless things like that weren't.

Alright man, I didn't say anything about them needing to put it in the game. I was just asking if that was in the game or not. I have the game paid for and I'm sure I'll enjoy it even without puddles. No need to get so worked up.

SnakeXs

Captain N said:
Alright man, I didn't say anything about them needing to put it in the game. I was just asking if that was in the game or not. I have the game paid for and I'm sure I'll enjoy it even without puddles. No need to get so worked up.

Not getting worked up, sorry if I came across that way.

:D

TemplaerDude said:
Anyone who is playing the Elder Scrolls for the graphics shouldn't be playing them in the first place.

That is true, but when a game has excellent graphcis like Oblivion, it makes the world that much more convincing.

I loved Morrowind to death, and I know I'd love Oblivion even if it looked the same, however, the fact that it is a beautiful game makes it sweeter :)

Crow

Snow falling and building up then melting in warmer weather would be insane. Of course you would need an insane system to manage it. I wouldn't think it a 'small' thing.

(not getting worked up either, just saying).

Robobandit said:
That is true, but when a game has excellent graphcis like Oblivion, it makes the world that much more convincing.

I loved Morrowind to death, and I know I'd love Oblivion even if it looked the same, however, the fact that it is a beautiful game makes it sweeter :)

As long as I can still drain souls, and turn into a vampire. And yes, with preatier graphics enchanting my gear with the souls of mine enemies (and town gaurds) is all the sweater.

We should start a gafpot, first to get all 50 achievements. =)

I plan to spend days getting lost in the forest, walk everywhere, even places that I've been before.. man the wait is feeling so much longer than it really is :(

Vark

flarkminator said:
As long as I can still drain souls, and turn into a vampire. And yes, with preatier graphics enchanting my gear with the souls of mine enemies (and town gaurds) is all the sweater.

We should start a gafpot, first to get all 50 achievements. =)

We should! Ya'll can just send me the money now.

SnakeXs

Vark said:
We should! Ya'll can just send me the money now.

VGChax.jpg

Top Bottom