• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

Amir0x

Banned
The real GOTY 2006 for 360/PC, this ultimate awesome from Bethesda finally has a solid release date. So that means official thread!

Visit Oblivion website

BUY:

*click on any image to purchase/get info*

Alternatively, click through GAFazon for pimp points from me.

Collector's Edition contains -

● Pocket Guide to the Empire - A 112 page guide to every aspect of Tamriel, including its people, provinces and much more.
● Making of Oblivion Documentary - Includes a special behind-the-scenes documentary on the making of Oblivion.
● Septim Gold Coin - An authentic replicated Septim, the official currency of Tamriel.

RELEASE DATE:

March 20, 2006

SYNOPSIS:

Oblivion is a single-player game that takes place in Tamriel's capital province, Cyrodiil. You are given the task of finding the hidden heir to a throne that sits empty, the previous emperor having been killed by an unknown assassin. With no true Emperor, the gates to Oblivion (the equivalent of hell in the world of Tamriel) open, and demons begin to invade Cyrodiil and attack its people and towns. It's up to you to find the lost heir to the throne and unravel the sinister plot that threatens to destroy all of Tamriel.

● Oblivion features a groundbreaking new AI system, called Radiant AI, which gives non-player characters (NPCs) the ability to make their own choices based on the world around them. They'll decide where to eat or who to talk to and what they'll say. They'll sleep, go to church, and even steal items, all based on their individual characteristics. Full facial animations and lip-synching, combined with full speech for all dialog, allows NPCs to come to life like never before.
● Next Generation Graphics. Pixel-shader effects and high definition televisions are fully supported to create unprecedented visuals, including lifelike towns, dungeons, and the most realistic forests ever created in a game.
● First Person Melee and Magic. An all-new combat and magic system brings first person role-playing to a new level of intensity where you feel every blow.
● Open-Ended Game Play; Short Challenges. The enormous world of Oblivion is open for you to explore at your own pace, and shorter challenges such as fighting bandits, mixing potions, creating magic items and persuading friends keep the challenges coming.

See many more images, in the appropriately larger sizes, here.

pt_obliv08B.jpg

pt_obliv04B.jpg

pt_obliv07B.jpg

pt_obliv09B.jpg

pt_obliv10B.jpg

pt_obliv21B.jpg

And of course, for classic sake... the shit monster -

pt_obliv20B.jpg

Just tryin' to keep the thread 56k friendly!

Sweet. Finally an Official Official thread! :)

Dying for this game, can't wait for the 20th to get here, and yes the date has indeed been confirmed.

VALIS

Any other suckers pre-order or will be getting the $70 ($60 on PC) Collectors Edition with the pocket guide and gold coin? Please say yes to make me feel better for spending $70 on one game.

jedimike

I can get pimp points for playing GAF??? Where have I been. I'll take Pimp Points for 300 Alex.

I'm still undecided. GRAW or Oblivion. Awesome multiplayer goodness or massive single player mayhem. I'm leaning towards Oblivion.

VALIS said:
Any other suckers pre-order or will be getting the $70 ($60 on PC) Collectors Edition with the pocket guide and gold coin? Please say yes to make me feel better for spending $70 on one game.

Check my post above yours ;) and I'm paying 50gbp! That's what, $87

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I *know* I shouldn't get this game because every other Western RPG that GAF has hyped has ended up totally sucking... but if I get an X360 soon this'll be the first "real" (i.e. non arcade) game I'll get.

Speevy

Banned
Good call. :D

I can't wait for this. There's a thread at TeamXbox about world maps and such, but I didn't want to steal the guy's stuff.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
My LE is ordered, and I'm just waiting for the time to come when I can indulge in Oblivion. I even quit my jobs a little earlier than I would've usually (because of my move to Japan) just so I could play the crap out of March's releases.

I'm so fucking pumped.

Mrbob

VALIS said:

I am and will ebay the gold coin so I'll probably get my 10 dollars back. ;) I want the making of disc. Plus I don't mind giving the developers a little more money for such a massive game, assuming of course that they get some more in their pocket off of the collectors edition. If it goes purely to take two that would sux0rz.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
jedimike said:
I can get pimp points for playing GAF??? Where have I been. I'll take Pimp Points for 300 Alex.

I'm still undecided. GRAW or Oblivion. Awesome multiplayer goodness or massive single player mayhem. I'm leaning towards Oblivion.

Come on, you have to be the first non-dev to get all 50 of Oblivion's achievements ;-)

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Nice thread.

I'll be getting the regular edition for 360,as tempting as the collectors editon is,I'll use that extra 10 to go towards another 360 game this month.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
It's about dang time a thread was dedicated to me...oh, wait. It's the OTHER Oblivion. :(

Those screens look awesome imo. But does GAF like those screens? I must know.

Orodreth

Steve, can you clarify if the game will be region free ?

The 360 collectors edition will not be available in some countries, at least in Spain.

Thanks.

Speevy

Banned
Xbox 360 owners: Who's using custom soundtracks for exploration and who's sticking with the original soundtrack?

Ark-AMN

Banned
Question on the PC version. Does the game come on a DVD? Or is that the Collector's Edition only? I don't want to get stuck with lots of CD's, I got spoiled with simple DVD installations after FEAR.

eso76

Speevy said:
Xbox 360 owners: Who's using custom soundtracks for exploration and who's sticking with the original soundtrack?

No way in hell i am going to use anything different from the original soundtrack. I find the use of custom sountracks quite unrespectful in these cases.

Well, using morrowind's soundtrack, that's acceptable.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Speevy said:

Custom Soundtrack would require I make a track list before hand, and then rip all those cds. I'd rather just use what Bethesda intended. :)

Speevy said:

This game is the VERY BEST reason to have custom soundtracks. No matter how good the original music is, the mulitude of hours spent will cause it to become annoying.

Ark-AMN said:
Question on the PC version. Does the game come on a DVD? Or is that the Collector's Edition only? I don't want to get stuck with lots of CD's, I got spoiled with simple DVD installations after FEAR.

All versions are DVD only.. no cd crap here :)

Per the official FAQ

Minimum System Requirements:

* Windows XP
* 512MB System RAM
* 2 Ghz Intel Pentium 4 or equivalent processor
* 128MB Direct3D compatible video card
* and DirectX 9.0 compatible driver;
* 8x DVD-ROM drive
* 4.6 GB free hard disk space
* DirectX 9.0c (included)
* DirectX 8.1 compatible sound card
* Keyboard, Mouse

Ark-AMN

Banned
Well, if you look at the boxes posted above, you can kind of make out a PC-CDROM icon on the regular edition, which makes me wonder.

Ark-AMN said:
Well, if you look at the boxes posted above, you can kind of make out a PC-CDROM icon on the regular edition, which makes me wonder.

place holder box art, I'd assume.

Perhaps Steve or Vark will/can confirm it for us? I'm pretty sure I read that it was Dvd only, but I can't remember where precisely.

edit:

If you look at the box art for each version at the Take 2 store, it says dvd-rom on each of them. EB's box art is out of date :lol

Take2Store - Oblivion - Regular edition

Take2Store - Oblivion - Collector's Edition

both are Pc Dvd-Rom :D

Orodreth

eso76 said:
No way in hell i am going to use anything different from the original soundtrack. I find the use of custom sountracks quite unrespectful in these cases.

Agree, just like the idea of using custom soundtracks in kameo for example, its ost is such a great & important piece of the overall feeling in the game.

I'll be ordering an Xbox 360 tomorrow. Partly because of this game, partly because of that GRAWther game. And I'm positive Oblivion would run and look like shit on my PC. Now that I think of it I wouldn't even be able to install it thanks to an overload of useless crap infesting the harddrive.

Going for the Fight Night bundle though, cause I simply can not and do not want to wait three more weeks. I am the weak. :(

Mrbob

negitoro7 said:
Should I pick up Morrowind GOTY edition now if I'm planning to get a 360 + Oblivion in a few months?

Not if you plan on playing Morrowind on your X360. Doesn't work. If you have Xbox or PC this would be fine. Although I don't know if you want to burn yourself out on Morrowind when Oblivion is almost here.

Striek

Has there been any talk of inventory use in the 360 version?

Because quite frankly, it was shit for Morrowind on Xbox. But I can definitely see ways they could improve it for Oblivion 360.

Pellham

Banned
I've had this preordered since early last year.
It's tempting to sit outside the gamestop I preordered it from on the 21st until the UPS guy comes. Oh and of course skip work.

Stryder

I hope this means it will be out at Aussie x360 launch, I'm going into EB tomorrow to pre-order a collector's edition.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
TekunoRobby said:
I can't wait for Oblivion!

obliv_gamemap_b.jpg

I love official threads!

That's only part of it, you can't see Bruma to the North, Bravil & Leyawiin to the south, or Kvatch and Anvil to the West.

Top Bottom