• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Art from unused Eternal Darkness endings and a (cancelled?) Silicon Knights GC game

Rocket Punch said:
Mediocre art for an equally mediocre game.
The only appropriate answer. ;)

Mama Robotnik said:
He has some impressive artwork for the three unused endings to Eternal Darkness, in which we would have shown the consequences of our defeat, as Pious Augustus' demon-God massacres humanity.
There actually were FMVs in the game that depicted these apocalyptic scenarios.
clipboard20.png

clipboard21i.png

clipboard22.png

clipboard23.png

clipboard24.png

clipboard25.png

clipboard26.png

clipboard27.png

clipboard28.png

clipboard29.png

clipboard30.png

clipboard31.png

clipboard32.png

clipboard33.png

clipboard34.png

clipboard36.png

clipboard37.png

clipboard38.png

clipboard39.png

clipboard40.png

clipboard41.png

clipboard42.png

clipboard43.png

clipboard44.png

clipboard45.png

clipboard46g.png

clipboard47.png

clipboard48.png

clipboard49.png

clipboard50.png

clipboard51.png

clipboard52.png

clipboard53.png

clipboard54g.png

clipboard55.png

clipboard56.png

clipboard57.png

clipboard01sy.png

clipboard02mn.png

clipboard03q.png

clipboard04j.png

clipboard05s.png

clipboard06s.png

clipboard07r.png

clipboard08u.png

clipboard09h.png

clipboard10.png

clipboard11.png

clipboard12.png

clipboard13i.png

clipboard14i.png

clipboard15.png

clipboard16.png

clipboard17.png

clipboard18.png

clipboard19.png

Uploaded to ImageShack because they allow multiple images at once. Since people are posting images from Photobucket which turn into deleted notices after heavy traffic, I guess this is okay.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Ysiadmihi said:
Pretty sure Michael Edwards was killed soon after he dropped of Mantorok's heart (I think?) at Edward Roivas' place.
I heard in the original script
he committed suicide in front of Edward. His statue isn't in the Hall so he may have survived. Peter Jacob is also one of the few survivors.

Great game. Would love a sequel.

EDIT: Wow at the above post. Never seen stills from those FMVs.

Hesemonni

Banned
I suggest somebody at GAF wins the lottery and decides to contribute for ED sequel.

The drum beat on the background while exploring the mansion makes my heart pound :(

Pancho

Qurupancho
I am so disappointed in myself that I never finished the game :(

Back then I was such a pussy and I got to the
bathtub scene
lost my shit, and returned the game. Now I can't find the game anywhere since I still want to finish it.

GodDuckman said:
Honestly? I'd love to see Silicon Knights make a new Eternal Darkness that used the Vitality Sensor for the Insanity Meter.
I'd rather Nintendo gave the IP to Retro for WiiHD.

Amazing find as always, Thanks Mama Robotnik!

JoeBoy101

Jesus Christ, that first one is really disturbing. Reminds me of something similar I saw in the WH:40K Codex for the Necron race, where a vision from an Eldar Warlock shows the end of time, Necrons winning, and marching humanity into soul harvesting devices.

Jiguryo

Aryan mech phallus gun
Pancho said:
I am so disappointed in myself that I never finished the game :(

Back then I was such a pussy and I got to the
bathtub scene
lost my shit, and returned the game. Now I can't find the game anywhere since I still want to finish it.

Well, it's not much help, but the
bathtub scene
is the ONLY "boo!" scare in the game. The rest is, basically, an overwhelming sense of dread and "omg, humankind's going kaput".

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
it's pathetic that no game has captured change over time as well as eternal darkness.

are there any other games that let the player revisit areas after long expanses of time and display drastic changes to architecture and mood? i'm genuinely curious. it seems like a very under utilized idea.

OnPoint

Eternal Darkness wasn't perfect, but I'll be damned if it wasn't a hell of a lot of fun. What a shame we never saw a second one.

beelzebozo said:
it's pathetic that no game has captured change over time as well as eternal darkness.

are there any other games that let the player revisit areas after long expanses of time and display drastic changes to architecture and mood? i'm genuinely curious. it seems like a very under utilized idea.
Chrono Trigger and Ocarina of Time spring to mind, though none of them as in-depth as Eternal Darkness. I'm pretty sure there are more though.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
FunkyPajamas said:
Chrono Trigger and Ocarina of Time spring to mind, though none of them as in-depth as Eternal Darkness. I'm pretty sure there are more though.

you'd expect it to be used more in rpgs, but again, in the ones i've played it doesn't stand out as much as it does in eternal darkness for some reason. it was very pronounced and an element of focus.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Rocket Punch said:
Mediocre art for an equally mediocre game.

I would agree with you on the mediocre art in part (hello Photoshop cloud filter effect!) but the subject matter is rather decent. And of course, totally disagree on the mediocre game thing.

duckroll

beelzebozo said:

The Legacy of Kain and Soul Reaver games use this as a major narrative/design elements.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
duckroll said:

is it that black and white?

this is from 2008. has there been an update?

In the final part of X3F's interview series, Silicon Knights President Denis Dyack said that the question of who owns the Eternal Darkness IP is, "a complicated question with a complicated answer," while at the same time confirming that Nintendo is still a "silent partner" with the developer.

"That's a question we've never answered," he said. "At the end of the day, it's not time to even talk about those things for various different reasons. You know Nintendo, who's still our silent partner, a lot of people don't know that, we have a great relationship with those guys. It's not time to talk about Eternal Darkness 2." Dyack went on to say that, despite some reports to the contrary, SK has never announced ED2 to be in development.

duckroll said:
The Legacy of Kain and Soul Reaver games use this as a major narrative/design elements.

ahhh yes!

duckroll

beelzebozo said:
is it that black and white?

this is from 2008. has there been an update?

Haha, this is the same Denis Dyack who tried to take Crystal Dynamics to court when they continued making Legacy of Kain games without Silicon Knights. Of course he would say that.

Legally, Nintendo owns Eternal Darkness as an IP, and everything related to it. Silicon Knights is credited as the developer, but the copyright and trademarks are all owned by Nintendo in every country in the world where Eternal Darkness was released.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
duckroll said:
Haha, this is the same Denis Dyack who tried to take Crystal Dynamics to court when they continued making Legacy of Kain games without Silicon Knights. Of course he would say that.

Legally, Nintendo owns Eternal Darkness as an IP, and everything related to it. Silicon Knights is credited as the developer, but the copyright and trademarks are all owned by Nintendo in every country in the world where Eternal Darkness was released.

this seems proof that we're likely to not get a sequel to this game any time soon.

duckroll

beelzebozo said:
this seems proof that we're likely to not get a sequel to this game any time soon.

It's pretty rare for developers to own their own creations when working on projects funded by large publishers. It's just the way it is unfortunately. Nothing is stopping Silicon Knights from making a spiritual sequel to Eternal Darkness with another publisher though, unless no one is interested.

Square owning the Xenogears IP did not stop Takahashi and his team from leaving and making Xenosaga. Sony owning the Demon's Souls IP did not stop From Software from making Dark Souls.

Heck, when the creator of Fire Emblem left Intelligent Systems and made Tear Ring Saga (originally called Emblem Saga), Nintendo tried to sue him for copyright infringement. They failed on all levels of appeal. The creator(s) of Game Franchise A leaving and making Game Franchise B with similar themes and tones does not amount to copyright infringement. Enterbrain (the publisher) was dumb though, because the way they marketed the entire Emblem Saga thing got them fined by the courts for unfair competition because they actually tried to pass it off as a Fire Emblem follow-up. Not copyright infringement though.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
interesting, and totally true. i wonder how much of eternal darkness and how much of it was nintendo. you know what i mean? it would be interesting to see how a spiritual successor done completely by silicon knights would turn out.

duckroll

beelzebozo said:
interesting, and totally true. i wonder how much of eternal darkness and how much of it was nintendo. you know what i mean? it would be interesting to see how a spiritual successor done completely by silicon knights would turn out.

Based on how Nintendo works with other developers for such projects (and various Iwata Asks interviews about all their recent Wii games with other JP developers), I'll say it's very likely that 100% of Eternal Darkness in terms of gameplay mechanics, story, concept, implementation is Silicon Knights. They obviously had full creative control and Nintendo agreed to fund and publish the idea they sold to them so to speak.

Nintendo's usual role in such projects is that they would attach producers or supervisors from Nintendo to the project, and they have to manage the project effectively giving advise and recommendations throughout the development process. This usually means that while keeping the creative parts of the game entirely up to the developer, they try to maintain a certain standard of quality control, usability and accessibility (good tutorials, tool tips, proper menu options for controls and various settings, etc). There is probably a higher level of QA and testing on the game than non-Nintendo Silicon Knights titles too.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
that's all good news, then, and at least points toward the possibility of some capability on silicon knights' part to turn out a game of similar quality. still, why do i feel so reticent to believe in them? too human wasn't completely awful, but it seemed to miss what made eternal darkness so great by quite a wide margin, and was caught up in development so long without a clear vision (even if we dispense with the very early prototyping done on psx and gcn). it just seems like silicon knights has trouble finishing games, and when they aren't even publicly working on something, i'm even more discouraged that it'll ever happen.

but i want it to so badly.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
As good as Eternal Darkness was, it's been out for almost 9 years now. I'm not sure I'd want to see the SK of today developing it.

Top Bottom