• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fear Effect Reinvented heading to Switch, PS4, XB1, Steam.

Wow my brain is mis-remembering this game as a launch title for 360. Or is that a different series?

Different unrelated games.
x360_fear-110214.jpg
36873-Fear_Effect_[NTSC-U]_[Disc1of4]-1490844193.jpg

Ouroboros

Hmm, a remake. I guess thats cool. I'd rather play a new adventure with Hana, but whatever this is cool too. Ironically, I just bought the OG games on ebay to replay.

NOW SQUARE-ENIX REBOOT LEGACY OF KAIN FOR ELDER GOD'S SAKE!

Wow great news, though the teaser doesn't look too hot. I'll buy it for PC (or switch if I'll own one when this comes out, pity it won't be available on Vita)

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
A full on remake you say ?

Why not. I never played the first 2 games and only know them from the racy advertisements.

gafneo

Banned
Seems like they are going through more work than needed. Origional game still fun, just needs an HD restoration.

fahr

For fucks sake, hire some animators for this. The movement of the main character in the trailer was awful.

Everything else looked promising though.

I wonder if they will change the game up for today's crowd. The game was really hard back in the day. With some confusing puzzles.

c1d

Particularly interested to see how this does on Switch. In other news, it seems like Crash finally hammered home that the people who played these games as kids are now the ones with disposable income

War3190

Neo Member
Hell yes!
I played both 1 and 2 as a teenager and loved them.

I wonder how they will remake certain risky scenes.

Jawmuncher

The demo was a little rough for Sedna but I was still very interested with what was there. Graphics especially were spot on in terms of being faithful. Will definitely be picking up this remake though.

I wonder if they will change the game up for today's crowd. The game was really hard back in the day. With some confusing puzzles.

Something these remakes and throwback releases all have in common is that they remain as close to the originals as possible. A game like Crash retained its difficulty, even though the original can be downright brutal at some points. With puzzles at least you can go online and get the solution, there's no saving you if you aren't good at platforming. So it'd be strange for them to change it into their own version of FE instead of just doing a straight up remake of it. Especially since it'll likely be a digital release, so you'd want to attract those diehards.

DUDE THIS IS AMAZING. Fear Effect is one of my favourite games of all time and to see a true-to-roots remake ON PC?!?! Day 1!!!!!!!!!!

ZeoVGM

Banned
Man, I didn't think this franchise would ever come back. Was one of my favorites on PS1.

Hopefully the gameplay remains as close to the original as possible. Based on the interview, it sounds like it will but with improved controls. I really hope that means it will still have pre-rendered backgrounds.

And it's nice to hear them specifically call out the garbage marketing for Fear Effect 2.

Weird but why not, I've never played Fear Effect but always meant to. Hopefully a Parasite Eve revival is next.

That character design in the trailer looks like it's from 2006 though. Like a shitty rejected design from a Rare game of that era.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
Excited for this. I loved FE as a teenager. There was so little representation in those days, I totally latched onto the even slightest hint of a queer female protag.

Weird but why not, I've never played Fear Effect but always meant to. Hopefully a Parasite Eve revival is next.

That character design in the trailer looks like it's from 2006 though. Like a shitty rejected design from a Rare game of that era.

Parasite Eve's most recent game was like 2011, so not too long ago. But yeah, while SE can make another Aya Brea game, they can't call it Parasite Eve as that license lapsed. Really surprised no one else picked it up to prey on the brand recognition.

CHC

Looks cool but considering it's Square Enix I'm sure they'll find some way to completely fuck it up and turn the development cycle into some muddled and never ending money burning machine. One of the only publishers that can't seem to just do things the easy way.

I'll believe otherwise when I see more than one room in game.

Never played these and a Switch version is a nice surprise. Will keep my eyes on that one!

No spoilers, but if this remake is anything like the original, prepare to rip some hair out cause the PS1 games are BRUTALLY hard. I'll be shocked if anybody beat them without a guide or some sort.

Nice! I picked up both Fear Effect 1 and 2 a couple months ago but haven't played through them yet. Will wait for this and grab it now.

Top Bottom