• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you buy the food sold at Starbucks?

KSweeley

Found this WaPo article reporting that Starbucks is trying to get people to buy sushi, do any of you actually buy the food that's sold at Starbucks?: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...with-your-frappuccino/?utm_term=.7e8bfbd8c321

imrs.php

(Courtesy of Starbucks)

Starbucks has tried it all: First came cake pops, then truffle mac and cheese, and earlier this year, avocado toast.

Now the coffee giant is banking on another food fad to drum up lunch and dinner business: The sushi burrito.

The chicken maki roll — which the company says, is “a classic California burrito with a twist” — comes with cooked chicken, pickled cabbage and avocado, and is rolled in sushi rice and wrapped with seaweed. It is currently part of the Mercato lunch menu at a handful of stores in Chicago and Seattle, where Starbucks is based.

But first it has to overcome a substantial hurdle: convincing customers its food is worth eating.

Analysts say Starbucks has yet to find much success hawking meals alongside its coffee. The challenges are logistical — Starbucks stores don’t have kitchens, for example — as well as behavioral. Over the past four decades, Starbucks has trained its customers to run in, grab coffee and run out. Getting them to think beyond beverages, or linger for a meal, has proven more difficult, particularly as modern customers demand locally sourced, freshly made food.

“It’s been decades, but Starbucks is still trying to figure out food,” said Stephen Dutton, an analyst for market research firm Euromonitor International. “The short answer is, Starbucks food is never going to be better than the hot, made-to-order meals you’re going to get at a place like McDonald’s or Dunkin Donuts

The company’s new Mercato menu includes grilled cheese sandwiches with burrata, and chicken and quinoa soup.

But analysts say the offerings raise a number of questions: Selling croissants with coffee is one thing, but how do you persuade customers to pair their afternoon lattes with premade sushi? And how willing are customers to shell out $10 for lunch when they could just as easily go elsewhere?

“Nobody goes to Starbucks to buy food,” Dutton said. “When they do buy something, it’s usually because they’re like, ‘I’m starving and I have to get to work, so I’m going to pick up this yogurt.'”

“There is a perception that Starbucks is selling an inferior product,” said Nick Setyan, an analyst for Wedbush Securities. “Customers are saying, ‘How good can that salad or sandwich be if you’re not making it in front of me?’ ”

Earlier this year, the company said it would stop selling beer and wine, as well as small plates such as truffle mac and cheese-and-bacon-wrapped figs at its stores. Those additions, rolled out with much fanfare a few years ago, had failed to resonate with customers.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
I like their breakfast menu, but I wouldn’t go there for lunch. However, in the afternoon I wouldn’t mind something sweet as a snack. I just don’t see any reason to get meals at a place like Starbucks. They should stick to breakfast, bakery items for food.

ninecubed

Unconfirmed Member
Only had it a couple times; the breakfast sandwiches are kind of bland, but not bad in a hurry as OP mentions. I had one recently... spicy chorizo, egg, and cheese on a ciabatta - not bad on the way to work.

As someone who used to live in the Midwest but doesn't anymore, their morning buns are excellent and it's really the only place I can find them. Barnes and Noble's starbuck's pizza pretzels are the only savory food I'll eat from Starbucks though, they're really good in my opinion.

I got a Starbucks gift card, but don't need coffee from there, since I have it in my office. To burn it up, I usually get the spicy chorizo, mont jack, egg sandwich if I'm in a rush for lunch. It's okay.

Apath

Their food is far too overpriced. I've only bought something there a handful of times, moreso out of desperation.

The breakfast sandwiches aren’t bad. But if you add up the price with the cofee I’m getting it’s too much. So if it comes down to it just get the coffee, but the food elsewhere.

Like if i get my hot drink with my spicy chorizo with cheese..it is really good but it will add up to 12$+.. and it’s not even that much food. For that price i could go to a dennys and come out filled to the brim with breakfast.

Ballistik

Only a handful of times, but I regretted it badly last time. I was in Mexico and ordered a sandwich, which was in my opinion overpriced to begin with. The picture showed it was like a turkey sandwich with spinach. When they served it, I noticed there was absolutely nothing green visible, so before I touched it I told the guy working there, "This isn't mine, mine is supposed to have spinach". He appears a bit confused and proceeds to ask the lady who prepared it and she just dismisses it saying, yeah the spinach is underneath. I open up the sandwich and I kid you not, one leaf of spinach was underneath, cut in half with the rest of the sandwich. I could not help but laugh at that. So yeah, big mistake.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Their breakfast stuff is pretty good and not too expensive for what you are getting. But I found that the lunch stuff is a bit too expensive. The lack of condiments in the location is a bit of a downer too.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
Only if by gift card.
My sister works her summers at a Starbucks, so the food comes to me!

Those egg sammiches are good.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
Yes, sometimes. They have quite good sandwiches and wraps, and their cookies and muffins are genuinely excellent. Little bit pricey, but that's Starbucks.

I definitely would not buy sushi from them though. The vast majority of sushi sold in supermarkets / cafes etc is garbage. It gets made somewhere else and then sits in a chiller cabinet for hours / days. It has to be made fresh or the temperatures and consistences go out the window.

Pastry

Banned
My girlfriend will grab the lunches when she is in a pinch. She says they are nothing special but not unhealthy so she just deals with it.

molnizzle

I'll sometimes grab an "everything" bagel with cream cheese for breakfast since it's only a couple of dollars. Everything else is ridiculously expensive for pre-packaged food.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
The calories on some of their stuff has always swayed me away... I'll only get it if there's nothing else, or it's really early and I am on a business trip.

It's really bland stuff... and if you are at all hungry, it's not going to do the trick.

Iksenpets

Banned
I'll sometimes grab a croissant or something with coffee, and it's never particularly great. I never full-on buy lunch at a Starbucks

Only been to one once at the mall this past summer but I did buy a smores bar to go with my smores drink. Was delicious. I get donuts occasionally at dunkin donuts so Id probably get the occasional treat at starbucks if I went more often but probably not get any of the more savory options.

Top Bottom