• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Came into work to Pokemon Craze

Never imagined it would be this big, but it is a really fantastic concept. Guess Nintendo now realizes how big the mobile market is.

Abylim

I have run into a lot of people playing while I'm out and about. They mostly share advice and ask whats around. Told someone I found a Scyther by this bridge and one of the guys looked like he wanted to hit me lol

This game is amazing. My kids go out with me for walks to see what we can catch.

Jhn

My favorite part of this has been the "hardcore" Pokemon fans popping into every thread to assure everyone the game is garbage.

Well, this is my reasoning:
When I heard the pitch I was very excited. In the context of the core games, it seemed very obvious how you would leverage the geolocation tech to create something entirely new but still true to the mechanics we all love. A literal open-world pokemon MMORPG more or less. Same mechanics as the core games, but in a real-world context. That sounds amazing to me, and that's what I expected.

That's not what this is. Mechanically, this looks completely uninteresting to me, and I feel let down that they would not follow through on the concept that, to me, seems so much more obvious and fun than what this turned out to be.

I don't really bear the game any ill will, or look down on people who enjoy it. I'm just confused about its popularity when I find it so fundamentally uninteresting.

Fox Mulder

Pokemon had been seen as a kids game on kids consoles forever. Being gameboy/DS only limits it really.

Makes me wonder how well a real Pokémon game for the Wii would have done during its heyday.

Zyrox

So has anyone caught them all yet? What about the legendaries? Can't play this because my phone is garbage and I live in the middle of nowhere, but reading these threads has been interesting. As a Pokemon fan I am happy this seems to reach quite a large audience, Pokémon is awesome.

We got a little drunk yesterday and went Pokémon hunting. It's freakin' great.

I don't see it taking off here as it has in the US, though. At least not until they reduce the data load. Used up over half my monthly allotment just last night.

Their stocks went up but will Nintendo actually be getting any money out of this?

Sort of, indirectly? They have a minority share of TPCi (as well as unknown percentage of one of the other two TPCi owners), as well as full ownership of several pieces of the IP, so I imagine at least some of the cash flow comes back to them somehow. I don't really get how any of that shit works lol

We got a little drunk yesterday and went Pokémon hunting. It's freakin' great.

I don't see it taking off here as it has in the US, though. At least not until they reduce the data load. Used up over half my monthly allotment just last night.

How tiny is your data cap? I spent pretty much the entire day on the app and used a whopping 40MB.

Mik2121

When I heard the pitch I was very excited. In the context of the core games, it seemed very obvious how you would leverage the geolocation tech to create something entirely new but still true to the mechanics we all love. A literal open-world pokemon MMORPG more or less. Same mechanics as the core games, but in a real-world context. That sounds amazing to me, and that's what I expected.

That's not what this is. Mechanically, this looks completely uninteresting to me, and I feel let down that they would not follow through on the concept that, to me, seems so much more obvious and fun than what this turned out to be.

I don't really bear the game any ill will, or look down on people who enjoy it. I'm just confused about its popularity when I find it so fundamentally uninteresting.
This is not the proper thread to have this conversation really, but... you can't make a game like that with all those options from the beginning and expect it to have anywhere the success this is having.

I want to believe they will probably start adding more and more complex mechanics as the more "hardcore" players stay and the hype calms down a bit, but that's probably quite far away. I just hope Niantic/TPC/Nintendo support this thing for a long time, as it could be quite incredible with years worth of content and updates.

Kouriozan

Well, the trailer had +26M views (28M now), the game was already hyped by informed people at that time, then the app released and word of mouth made its popularity skyrocket even more.
Niantic don't even need to market it right now, maybe when the popularity drop off they'll have to make ads for when a big content patch release.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
It's a lot of hype.
I wish there was actual mechanical depth, though. High-level pokemon play is very good, and they should carry it over ASAP.

I work at a bar over the weekends. When I would stand outside for a smoke break this past Friday, I caught at least 3 groups of 3-5 people walking down the street with their phones out. There's a cemetery down the street and I saw someone's walk around there with their phone out. This was like 200am in the morning. This game is HUGE.

It's a lot of hype.
I wish there was actual mechanical depth, though. High-level pokemon play is very good, and they should carry it over ASAP.

To be honest, it's highly unlikely this will EVER be built around high-level play. This isn't meant to be that at all. It's supposed to be a comparatively simple social experience that's shared by EVERYONE. You're never going to get the mainline GameFreak experience, because that's what mainline GameFreak games are for. If anything, going that route will hurt this, because it will turn off the ultra casuals.

test_account

XP-39C²
Sort of, indirectly? They have a minority share of TPCi (as well as unknown percentage of one of the other two TPCi owners), as well as full ownership of several pieces of the IP, so I imagine at least some of the cash flow comes back to them somehow. I don't really get how any of that shit works lol
I dont think that they make any money on the stocks unless that they sell it. A stock is afterall "worthless" unless its being sold. Its the same thing when the stock goes down. You've might have read articles where it says that big companies or rich people lost tons of money due to stocks going down, but they technically didnt lose anything unless they sell the stocks.

Celine

I know you're really invested in NX and i'm also curious to see how it will do. But if it fails to gain traction then yes, yes they should. Watch them soar after that.
It doesn t take an invest interest in NX to realize that renouncing to release mainline Pokemon games on Nintendo handhelds is a stupid move because at each iteration Pokemon sell about 15 million units at $40 a pop which is something mobile can 't do.
Pokemon Go should be seen as a move to strengthen the franchise by adopting mobile features and business model which are very different from dedicated gaming devices.
The two aren't mutual exclusive, the opposite.

AniHawk

the most fun thing about it is walking along and seeing other people out and coordinating efforts to try and capture pokemon and take over gyms.

Celine

Pokemon had been seen as a kids game on kids consoles forever. Being gameboy/DS only limits it really.

Makes me wonder how well a real Pokémon game for the Wii would have done during its heyday.
Some franchises like Pokemon, Animal Crossing, Monster Hunter are better suited on handheld.
It's funny you think a handheld which sold more than 150 million units have limited a franchise which in total has sold about 80 million on it.

I dont think that they make any money on the stocks unless that they sell it. A stock is afterall "worthless" unless its being sold. Its the same thing when the stock goes down. You've might have read articles where it says that big companies or rich people lost tons of money due to stocks going down, but they technically didnt lose anything unless they sell the stocks.

I was referring to the cash being made through the app itself, not the effect of the share prices.

Trike

Never played a Pokemon game
since im a real gamer
but when this is realesed in Sweden im trying it out.

Whoa whoa whoa, you know you just lost your
real gamer
status for playing a Pokemon game, right? On top of that it is a cell phone game? I am contacting all gaming institutions and revoking all of your achievements/trophies/steamchievements. I hope you have fun playing through King Kong again to get that easy 1k, because I am having none of your shit right now.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
To be honest, it's highly unlikely this will EVER be built around high-level play. This isn't meant to be that at all. It's supposed to be a comparatively simple social experience that's shared by EVERYONE. You're never going to get the mainline GameFreak experience, because that's what mainline GameFreak games are for. If anything, going that route will hurt this, because it will turn off the ultra casuals.

It doesn't need to appear "Soon" in the game. But if the game is meant to be played for months and years, actual mechanical depth will be needed, especially for PvP.

Catching is the brunt of the game and good as it is. Battling needs some more depth.

massoluk

Banned
The hype is real. I have been seeing many grown up walking around catching Pokemon in Manhattan and Hoboken this weekend.

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
I saw 2 random young adults wandering my apartment complex at 11 p.m. -- turns out they were playing.

A friend's roommate got in a low-speed car accident playing it while driving. I can only hope most people don't do it and drive.

I indirectly encouraged the driving while Going. It really is not a good idea. At least have one person driving and the other person dual fisting phones.

spekkeh

Banned

I think it's a test case for Nintendo. They've been working towards context aware games for some time now, with Streetpass and everything, but lacked the technological know-how or perhaps confidence to put in a lot of money to create something really geobased. The moment I heard about Pokemon Go, I had a hunch that this is what NX is going to be about. It marries the successful fitness stuff of Wii, with the positive societal change philosophy of Nintendo, and integrates the handheld and the home console, which also offers QoL a line into the NX platform. What started off as a hunch now becomes pretty solid for me given how much the current success will embolden them.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Their stocks went up but will Nintendo actually be getting any money out of this?

IAP is where the money is at. And this game is still in the highest grossing apps on iOS App Store.

Also the game is published by The Pokemon Company which Nintendo owns a (majority?) stake in.

dividends. companies frequently pay out earnings to shareholders. my understanding is TPC isn't a normal listed company with millions of "owners" (shareholders). It has a few owners (Nintendo, Game Freak, etc) and almost assuredly pays out dividends to those companies for things like the TGC and mobile games.

massoluk

Banned
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...ease-ios-android-sydney-harbour-a7129206.html
pokemon-go.png

T-0800

My wife just downloaded this. It's 9pm on a rainy winters night and she has taken my 13 year old daughter for drive to catch a pokemon. I don't know what's real anymore.

My favorite part of this has been the "hardcore" Pokemon fans popping into every thread to assure everyone the game is garbage.
I've seen it from a few places but it's mostly been resonating with fans of the main series. Personally I'd like to see the battle mechanics or at least a less in-depth but more than currently implemented battle system added in, but the app clearly doesn't need it as people are out and playing it all over the place.

Then again, I've been calling for less hidden systems in the main games for a few years now, so maybe I'm not exactly "hardcore".

So more fun anecdotes... I work overnights, my wife works during the day... We live in the outskirts of a fairly large town, but not in a super populated area... On one of my days off, we had time after the kids went to be to go walking, around midnight... We headed to the nearest pokespots (a nearby church... seems EVERY church is a pokespot around here, slightly frustrating, but whatever). On our way (minding again this is midnight) we spotted 2 other groups heading that way talking about pokemon.

This game is going to make millions... even if it burns out fast, which I'm not convinced yet it will.

bratpack

Yeah do we reckon it has staying power most of these things usually dry up fast

Wii Motion controls dead
Kinnect dead
Move dead
3d dead

Now it's VR and pokemon go's turn lol

Wii Motion controls dead
Kinnect dead
Move dead
3d dead

Half of those things like half a decade or more... I'd imagine if Pokemon GO lasts that long, it'll have been more than successful enough for the next round of pokemon apps.

Dennis

Banned
All around me here in Nashville people are outing themselves as gamers by hunting for Pokemon at my park.

It is all too much.

oti

Banned

Wii Motion controls dead
Kinnect dead
Move dead
3d dead

All of those things were hardware innovations. Pokémon GO is software "innovation" in that it combines Google Maps (something that's just a part of our daily lives nowadays) with AR and Pokémon. I could see people getting annoyed by too many GPS AR games but they're not easy to build and nothing is like Pokémon.

Although I'm just waiting for some kind of Minions GO announcement lol.

Top Bottom