• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NAMCO-BANDAI, SEGA and others shifting focus towards Wii/DS

Status
Not open for further replies.

ORANGUTAN

Banned
Whatever..

Until series' / games like..

Devil May Cry 4
Lost Planet
Dead Rising
Resident Evil 5
Virtua Fighter 5
Condemned 2
SEGA Rally Revo
Tekken 6
Soul Calibur IV
Ace Combat 6
Culdcept Saga
Eternal Sonata
etc..

are canned / and or moved to that other console, I really don't give a shit.

quetz67 said:
I read this as "More garbage on Wii, only the huge, good selling titles will be on PS3"

I get the feeling you read everything on these boards as you want to, rather than the actual reality :lol

Polari

Dumb:

orang.jpg

Dumber:

alienspic6br.gif

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
quetz67 said:
I read this as "More garbage on Wii, only the huge, good selling titles will be on PS3"
The funny thing is even good selling game series won't sell well on PS3.
You will have very bad years to come Sonybots.

ORANGUTAN said:
Whatever..

Until series' / games like..

Devil May Cry 4
Lost Planet
Dead Rising
Resident Evil 5
Virtua Fighter 5
Condemned 2
SEGA Rally Revo
Tekken 6
Soul Calibur IV
Ace Combat 6
Culdcept Saga
Eternal Sonata
etc..

are canned / and or moved to that other console, I really don't give a shit.

What happens if similar games started appearing(and exponentially so) on the Wii? Will you care then?

Thread is rapidly approaching the shitter...

can we just agree that this is good news for Wii and DS owners, and that in spite of any shift, 360 and PS3 are likely to continue to get good, healthy support? Or does that make too much sense?

StevieP

Banned
radioheadrule83 said:

can we just agree that this is good news for Wii and DS owners, and that in spite of any shift, 360 and PS3 are likely to continue to get good, healthy support? Or does that make too much sense?

Too much sense.

Aggelos

StevieP said:
Dude. How long ago do you think all those games were started?
Well, DMC4 and Biohazard 5 are in development since 2005.
Tekken 6 is since 2005. SCIV probably since 2006.

quetz67 said:

:lol
Lets hope that main-series sequels of Tekken, Soul Calibur, Biohazard, Devil May Cry, Ace Combat, Time Crisis, Virtua Fighter, etc stay on PS360

ORANGUTAN said:
Like what? "If" indeed..

It's not really a matter of if anymore but when. Regardless, radiohead is right. Only some insecure PS360 fans seem bothered by this news anyway.

The Wii will inevitably make a name for itself. It doesn't need all the "big name" established franchises to continue it's momentum. It will create them.

radioheadrule83 said:

Either Wii gets all the support or 360/PS3 gets all the support.

My real prediction for the remainder of the generation is healthy western releases for 360 (eastern/western developed doesn't matter), with a majority support on Wii

StevieP

Banned
Aggelos said:
Well, DMC4 and Biohazard 5 are in development since 2005.
Tekken 6 is since 2005. SCIV probably since 2006.

Thank you.

Lets hope that main-series sequels of Tekken, SC, Biohazard, DMC, Ace Combat, Time Crisis, Virtua Fighter, etc stay on PS360

Well, if in a couple years, Wii <=> PS2, 360 = XBox+1, and PS3=Gamecube-1 (as the trends are looking), they likely all won't.

Sony may continue to tell everyone that they don't see Nintendo as a direct competitor, but when developers are shifting their resources from your platforms to Nintendo's, well this "non-competitor" is hurting you bad.

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
Aggelos said:
Lets hope that main-series sequels of Tekken, Soul Calibur, Biohazard, Devil May Cry, Ace Combat, Time Crisis, Virtua Fighter, etc stay on PS360
All of those games were new IPs someday and usually created for the most popular consoles. What happens if all developers want to put their new ideas and IPs on the Wii?

There are still lots of franchises/sequels that are up for grabs that could find a nice, cozy home on the Wii.

Dragon Quest series
Kingdom Hearts 3
Z.O.E.
Megaman (console)
Castlevania (console)
Contra (console)
Panzer Dragoon
Jet Set Radio (long shot, but who knows)
Crazy Taxi

Along with strengthened support from EA, Take 2, and Ubi Soft (who all seem willing).

I do think for instance the Wii will get its own Metal Gear and Grand Theft Auto games if it continues to sell like this. Maybe even that long fabled FF7 Remake.

So yes, while I agree the already announced stuff like VF5, Ace Combat, Tekken 6, etc. will stay on the PS3/360 ... there's still a lot out there, particularily from Japanese developers.

My personal hope is now that all these publishers are rushing to their designers and saying "we need more Wii titles, quick what ideas do you have?" ... they can use the oppurtunity to make games that otherwise would not get made or bring back classic franchises which otherwise would be dead (NiGHTS and Rygar seem to be examples of this).

devilscallmedad said:
doesn't seem like any of the publisher's said it, just some random journalist assuming stuff which may or may not happen.
Its even more stupid.

Namco Bandai, Sega and other are shifting focus towards Wii/DS, look at their fiscal year games releases, they are planning a lot of releases for them. Oh and PS3 is being outsold by Wii.

And thats it. You have the article!

soundwave05 said:

:lol Good luck with that. It'll take Kojima a LOT to move away from his precious Playstation throne. The only thing we'll be seeing from him on Nintendo systems is Boktai.

by the way... what does the article actually say? Is it speculation or fact?

Chris Michael said:
:lol Good luck with that. It'll take Kojima a LOT to move away from his precious Playstation throne. The only thing we'll be seeing from him on Nintendo systems is Boktai.

Kojima's warmed to Nintendo a lot over the past few years. Z.O.E. may not happen, simply because that franchise itself is probably dead, but I would almost gauruntee if the Wii continues to dominate like this, it will get its own Metal Gear title at some point (even if it's from the MG: Portable Ops team).

Chris Michael said:

Didn't he say he's tired of Metal Gear like games and can't wait to make a game for the Wii?

Busty

Banned
I really don't see why people are suddenly up in arms about this announcement. It's been on the cards for months now. Anyone who's even glanced at a Media Create thread will be able to tell you that.

But the thing that gets me, and this will no doubt ignite some N-Fans into a burning Supernova of fury, is that there is no way a Capcom or even a SEGA are going to be taking a project destined for the PS3 or 360 and suddenly make it a Wii title.

These companies' 'Wii output' will be along the lines of what we've seen already. More Soul Caliber Legend style spin offs and less numbered sequels. Unless the Wii does PS2 type numbers leaving both the PS3 and 360 doing sub-20/25 million units combined this is the way it's going to be.

The very second we see an exclusive. original numbered sequel to something like a MGS, Resident Evil or even a Devil May Cry then the Wii will always have to sit at the 'kids table' where developers are concerned. Which isn't to say that the games won't be either innovative or fun to play. But there is no doubt in my mind that E3 and TGS will see both Capcom and Namco/Bandai announcing and showing alot more Wii games than titles for either the 360 or PS3. But the titles that they do show for the 360/PS3 will be their 'AAA' showcase titles.

A pattern is already emerging and it's clear to see, yes the Wii will be getting alot more support and will see it become the focus of alot of big Japanese publishers, but they have already clearly shown the type and scope of title that they will be aiming at the Wii and it's audience.

Busty said:
I really don't see why people are suddenly up in arms about this announcement. It's been on the cards for months now. Anyone who's even glanced at a Media Create thread will be able to tell you that.

But the thing that gets me, and this will no doubt ignite some N-Fans into a burning Supernova of fury, is that there is no way a Capcom or even a SEGA are going to be taking a project destined for the PS3 or 360 and suddenly make it a Wii title.

These companies' 'Wii output' will be along the lines of what we've seen already. More Soul Caliber Legend style spin offs and less numbered sequels. Unless the Wii does PS2 type numbers leaving both the PS3 and 360 doing sub-20/25 million units combined this is the way it's going to be.

The very second we see an exclusive. original numbered sequel to something like a MGS, Resident Evil or even a Devil May Cry then the Wii will always have to sit at the 'kids table' where developers are concerned. Which isn't to say that the games won't be either innovative or fun to play. But there is no doubt in my mind that E3 and TGS will see both Capcom and Namco/Bandai announcing and showing alot more Wii games than titles for either the 360 or PS3. But the titles that they do show for the 360/PS3 will be their 'AAA' showcase titles.

A pattern is already emerging and it's clear to see, yes the Wii will be getting alot more support and will see it become the focus of alot of big Japanese publishers, but they have already clearly shown the type and scope of title that they will be aiming at the Wii and it's audience.

We'll see. I think Dragon Quest X will have something else to say about that too.

I don't think the Wii will steal projects away from the PS3/360, but it's not going to be sitting at the "kiddy table", as you put it, for much longer either.

There can be a medium between having Playstation level support (where you have every 3rd party game) and Dreamcast/GameCube levels. The Wii will probably be right dab in the middle somewhere when it's all said and done.

A lot of the franchises that the PS3/360 have like Tekken 6, Virtua Fighter 5, etc. are really in major decline to boot. There's going to be increased pressure on devs like Namco, Capcom, Konami, Sega, etc. to come up with new franchises.

So Sonic Musou on Wii confirmed ? :eek:
All i want is good games.
They can sell their games on any system, if the game deserves it i'll buy a console only to play it.

ElFly

quetz67 said:

What's the point of putting big titles in consoles that won't provide a lot of sales.

2008 is going to be dry on the ps3, other than FF13.

Busty said:

It won't necesarilly take them away from the Ps3/360. The more likely scenario is that as those 360/PS3 projects(well, PS3) winds down, we'll see an increased shift towards the Wii. Not necessarily those franchises you mentioned(which seems to be winding down anyway), but new ones, especially Wii specific ones, will take their place. Some franchises defecting, or waggle spin offs would be just the bonuses.

quetz67

Banned
ElFly said:
What's the point of putting big titles in consoles that won't provide a lot of sales.

2008 is going to be dry on the ps3, other than FF13.
I didnt say that, thats whats the text says. And planning into the future we are soon at 20M userbase worldwide for PS3 + 360, thats were those big games go and where they are supposed to sell.

Not talking about any PS3 exclusives here.

and 2008 being dry on PS3 is a joke, right?

quetz67 said:
I didnt say that, thats whats the text says. And planning into the future we are soon at 20M userbase worldwide for PS3 + 360

The Wii will probably reach that(and beyond) before both of them, combined, does...

In Japan alone, the Wii will reach 10 million before the PS3 will even reach 2...

quetz67

Banned
titiklabingapat said:
The Wii will probably reach that(and beyond) before both of them, combined, does...

In Japan alone, the Wii will reach 10 million before the PS3 will even reach 2...
yeah we know what will happen in Nintendominationdreamland

and even if we will see the Nintendo one console future, only the most stupid can actually wish that will happen

cvxfreak

Chris Michael said:
Could someone who can read Japanese answer this? :)

Babelfish is crap.

The title of the article in Japanese does use the word "Gyakuten" in it.

As in Gyakuten Saiban aka Turnabout Trial aka Phoenix Wright.

Namco, Konami, and Sega really in particular need to get kicking on some new franchises.

I would say most of their franchises from a market P.O.V. are bordering on irrelevance. They need to get some new stuff out there.

I love Street Fighter as much as anyone, but Capcom was smart enough to start to focusing on other franchises as that star faded out. Unfortunately Capcom also seems to have a habit to sequelizing franchises to death in a short time span (see stuff like Viewtiful Joe, which seems to be already dead).

quetz67

Banned
Chris Michael said:
Could someone who can read Japanese answer this? :)

Babelfish is crap.
This is what gamefront.de says (I dont think they use babelfish):

"Beide Unternehmen wollen im laufenden Geschäftsjahr doppelt so viele Spiele für Nintendo-Konsolen ausliefern wie im Vorjahr. Für die PS3 plant man weiterhin Spiele herzustellen, will sich hier aber auf große Projekte konzentrieren, von denen man ausgeht, dass sie ein Hit werden."

= double amount of Wii/DS titles, still games for PS3, mostly big projects, expected to be hits

Busty

Banned
quetz67 said:
= double amount of Wii/DS titles, still games for PS3, mostly big projects, expected to be hits

That about somes it up.

It seems that there is one man, a lone defender trying to keep 'next gen' gaming alive.

quetz67 said:

"Beide Unternehmen wollen im laufenden Geschäftsjahr doppelt so viele Spiele für Nintendo-Konsolen ausliefern wie im Vorjahr. Für die PS3 plant man weiterhin Spiele herzustellen, will sich hier aber auf große Projekte konzentrieren, von denen man ausgeht, dass sie ein Hit werden."

Busty said:
That about somes it up.

It seems that there is one man, a lone defender trying to keep 'next gen' gaming alive.

kyle01.gif

He's sent back in time from the future.

"Come with me, if you want HD" (ok so that was cheesy :lol ).

Terminator 1 is still a lot of fun even today. :)

quetz67 said:

wait... what? It says third parties are making a lot of Wii games, but their BIG but few projects still are going to the PS3?

Third parties have been doing this all along. Say... 15 nongames/minigames/spinoffs for Wii for every BIG PS3 game.

so I say... this is news?

Its even more stupid.

Namco Bandai, Sega and other are shifting focus towards Wii/DS, look at their fiscal year games releases, they are planning a lot of releases for them. Oh and PS3 is being outsold by Wii.

And thats it. You have the article!
Yes looking over their announced games its very evident they have shifted focus to Wii from the PS3/360 :lol :lol :lol
Also the DS has been outselling the PSP for a long long time, Sega just announced a PSP game.

devilscallmedad said:
Yes looking over their announced games its very evident they have shifted focus to Wii from the PS3/360 :lol :lol :lol
Also the DS has been outselling the PSP for a long long time, Sega just announced a PSP game.

Sonic Rivals 2?

quetz67

Banned
soundwave05 said:
kyle01.gif

He's sent back in time from the future.

"Come with me, if you want HD" (ok so that was cheesy :lol ).
Thats funny actually...but HD isnt what I want, I want physics, AI, lighting, huge complex worlds not possible on Wii.

And lone defender? I think I can make a 3 digit number list of next gen games not possible on Wii and probably a 3 digit list of Gaffers being hyped for at least some of them. No need for me to defend anything, the games will come (on PS3, 360 or PC whatever)

devilscallmedad said:

Well that about wraps it up for the DS. It was a good run while it lasted though.

quetz67

Banned
Chris Michael said:
wait... what? It says third parties are making a lot of Wii games, but their BIG but few projects still are going to the PS3?

Third parties have been doing this all along. Say... 15 nongames/minigames/spinoffs for Wii for every BIG PS3 game.

you got it!

the question is if you prefer those 15 games or the one BIG one

StevieP

Banned
Busty said:
That about somes it up.

For shit's sake, if you're going to use stupid clichéd terms to describe the 2 more powerful consoles of this *current* generation, at least use the "HD" lingo, instead of the ridiculous generalization of what constitutes a console generation.

Yes looking over their announced games its very evident they have shifted focus to Wii from the PS3/360

*slaps forehead*
You realize how long it takes to make/allocate funds for/even greenlight a concept, don't you?

I realize that this is your schtick (the fact that quetz is agreeing doesn't surprise me)... but do you honestly believe that assloads of non-games is what you'll be getting from these companies in future? Be realistic here. There are about 600,000 "non-games" on the DS, and it's still getting Dragon Quest, easily the biggest franchise in Japan. What makes you think that publishers are going to fund $15-30 million dollar titles for platforms in which they may not see as much return as a $10 million dollar (aka "BIG" Wii game) investment to a larger install base?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom