• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NAMCO-BANDAI, SEGA and others shifting focus towards Wii/DS

Status
Not open for further replies.

MercuryLS

Banned
Western devs putting their big games on PC/X360/PS3, JP devs shifting focus to DS/Wii. Not very surprising.

That said, JP devs that make big HD games that appeal to the west are going to have to look at X360 more seriously. Capcom has hit it big on the platform, but many other JP devs are still reluctant.

Pachael said:
Like I said earlier, third parties won't take long to turn to the Wii/DS. The large userbase is now too hard to ignore.*

That said, gamers should join me in celebrating games/consoles with high sales regardless - the more minigames for everybody, the better!**

* Especially if you own Nintendo stock.
** For all the non-Nintendo supporting folk, 'core gamer'? Time to look for a new hobby, methinks while 'non-core gamers' like the most of the world will be happy playing their Wiis and DSes with great, high-selling software.

Joke post? Hope so, it reads like reverse trolling.

Pachael

Tristam said:
Agreed. It's f***ing System Wars all over the place here.

It was better several years back when everybody knew the console pecking order and the only thing we argued about was how sucky Shenmue is/was.

DyTonic

Banned
Shifting focus w/e... =/

More like joining the bandwagon and this sort of piss me off because Namco-Bandai is doing pretty well with the psp .

D.Lo

Vic said:
Namco-Bandai, Sega, Capcom and SNK are upsetting me. I'm still waiting for my fighting games on the DS assholes!!!!!
Hells yah. I'd buy single titles at full price of VF2, KoF 98, Garou, SF Alpha 2 or Sf3.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Kafel said:
Here's a hint : H U D S O N
theyr consistantly contracted by nintendo. if they were to slack, nintendo would certainly notice. theyr probably coming down on them for a subpar MP 8, though probably not too too much because of the stellar sales.

my money's on koei. sure they have Opoona, but i have a feeling that game isnt that high budget. not like Koei doesnt do a half assed job with everything else though...

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Tristam said:
lol. I'm waiting for Ynos to come in here after his claim that "every Sony topic is ruined by trolls" (as opposed to the Nintendo topics, since everybody loves Nintendo).

Quick, somebody make a negative comment about Lair!

D.Lo

DyobolikaL. said:
I rather see MvsC done on the DS, I prefer a wider screen for SF games..
Except we're talking about ports of games that weren't widescreen in the Arcade, so I don't see your point at all.

Kafel

Banned
doomed1 said:
theyr consistantly contracted by nintendo. if they were to slack, nintendo would certainly notice. theyr probably coming down on them for a subpar MP 8, though probably not too too much because of the stellar sales.

my money's on koei. sure they have Opoona, but i have a feeling that game isnt that high budget. not like Koei doesnt do a half assed job with everything else though...

You can't talk about Opoona like that. Arte Piazza is behind the project. Yuji Horii too.

DyTonic

Banned
D.Lo said:
Except we're talking about ports of games that weren't widescreen in the Arcade, so I don't see your point at all.

Doesn't matter a bigger screen is needed, that's all. It's possible to have those games on the Ds, but I don't see the bottom screen being put to any good use.

hellclerk

Oblivion said:
Quick, somebody make a negative comment about Lair!
Lair is... um... um... well... DAMN! i just cant say anything bad about factor 5. Rouge squadron always looks at me with those puppy dog eyes every time i even think of being mad at them for being total graphics whores with the PS3. :'(

Kafel said:
You can't talk about Opoona like that. Arte Piazza is behind the project. Yuji Horii too.
well, the talent may be high on the game, but the budget may well not be. i love the style, but other koei projects come to mind, like that (really fugly) first person dynasty warriors game thats litterally a bunch of waggle.

ethelred

Kafel said:

Yuji Horii is not involved with the development of Opoona at all. The only thing he did was help secure a publisher for a project being done by a dev team he used a few times.

Kafel

Banned
ethelred said:
Yuji Horii is not involved with the development of Opoona at all. The only thing he did was help secure a publisher for a project being done by a dev team he used a few times.

I didn't say he was involved but that he was behind. :p

ethelred

Kafel said:
I didn't say he was involved but that he was behind. :p

He's not behind it, either. You tossed out a bs half-truth that gave a completely different implication from the reality of the situation, which is that Horii has no involvement in the game. Let it go.

Azelover said:
That's FUD. The best selling game on Wii is still Zelda, and the market for those is huge, you'll have them for sure. But as new gamers enter the market through the Wii they'll eventually climb the ladder. Nintendo's plan, ever since the DS(and you'll see hints of this everywhere, including Miyamoto's latest keynote where he talks about his wife, and how she became "hardcore"), was to get everyone back to the same starting point interface-wise so that new people can learn how to enjoy games like we did one day. But eventually even these people will want deeper and more diverse things, and that content will have to be there on the Wii.

Um, Wii Play outsold Zelda in every market.

Kafel

Banned
ethelred said:
He's not behind it, either. You tossed out a bs half-truth that gave a completely different implication from the reality of the situation, which is that Horii has no involvement in the game. Let it go.

Eh calm down. I just wanted to say that if Horii was at the unveiling of the game, maybe we should mind about it.

hellclerk

Pristine_Condition said:
controller + $10 game = infinate shelf life. seriously, what idiot with the Wii and less than 4 controllers when Wii Play came out didnt buy that thing? i know i did.

I'll believe it when I see it.

Namco's support for the PS3 and especially the PSP have been absolutely full-force fantastic... while Nintendo literally gets nothing from Namco but SCL.

Capcom's support has been pretty disappointing as well outside of Megaman and Phoenix Wright.

sega... plz plz plz make PSODS. :)

GDGF

Soothsayer
soundwave05 said:
I really wish they'd make a new 2D Mario, or a new Contra, or some good Castlevania games, or a good Zelda for the DS instead of all these Brain Training games. And would it kill a developer to make an RPG for the DS? Like a Dragon Quest or a Final Fantasy, maybe?

Damn, at least give us a Mario Kart DS or something.

:lol I do believe you win this thread, sir.

considering namcos next gen efforts I suppose theyve already got their next gen engines up and running.

Doesn't really affect me though...I bough Tekken from namco and DMC 1, Res 4 and Okami from capcom last gen

Anyway, Ill still be looking into tekken 6, Res. 5 and SC IV

peace

ziran

Like many have said this is inevitable news, Wii will have sold ~8.5 million units in 7.5 months, and has huge market share in Japan, developers will be shifting focus.

Pristine_Condition said:

No one gives a shit. People are buying it for the controller. If it were only ten dollars and lacked the controller, it wouldn't sell nearly as well, and any sales would be chalked up to it being very inexpensive.

Segata Sanshiro said:
Surely no others will follow?

Well, really who else is even needed? We know Square-Enix's stance on how to get their panties to drop (sell lots of systems in Japan).

EA and Ubi Soft and THQ seem to set to give the system heavy support. Ubi Soft just needs to stop acting like they're on speed, and settle the hell down and take their time with their Wii projects and they'll be better in the long run IMO. Even Take 2 seems to be in.

Konami ... definitely would be nice to see/hear more from them, but with Snake in SSBB, I think there's a solid foundation to build on there for future collaborations/titles.

Jokeropia said:
"Do you hear that? It's the sound of inevitability."

Matrix_smithheadfrontcropstandinginhallwaylookingforwards.gif

legend166

I hate it when people try to use Wii Play in the "omg minigames is what sells lololol".

Granted, I also hate it when people try to use it to say how good Wii software is selling.

Terrell

cvxfreak said:
This news really shouldn't be very surprising, unless these companies want to take a royal dump on their Japanese fanbase.
Funny... isn't that exactly what GAF is hoping these companies will do with oodles of PS3/360 games that won't sell in Japan?

Aggelos said:
That's great.... That's terrific.... Even more good news for the PS3....

This is just the usual lip service. The big games like DMC4, RE5 and SCIV are still on the way for both PS3 and 360. Next gen is still safe.

StevieP

Banned
Zerodoppler said:
This is just the usual lip service. The big games like DMC4, RE5 and SCIV are still on the way for both PS3 and 360. Next gen is still safe.

Dude. How long ago do you think all those games were started?

Zerodoppler said:

I'm not so sure it's "lip service" when at Namco's investor's briefing just a few weeks ago they have more Wii games now in development than PS3 or 360.

Granted the quality of that will need a "wait and see" approach, but it's definitely getting beyond just "well we like the Wii, maybe we can whip up 1 game for it". The Wii will get some sweet 3rd party support for itself before this whole dance is over IMO.

StevieP said:
Dude. How long ago do you think all those games were started?

And that's the point. Those games, and a bunch of other games we know nothing about are already in development for 360/PS3. That should make for a steady stream of great games for the next couple of years even if some publishers does start to move projects to the Wii and DS from now on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom