• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Playstation: First Party Studios & their Current Projects

Skeeter49

So we've no idea what London studio is working on other than it's probably a PSVR game.

Japan studio definitely have something cooking, probably a TGS announcement. Maybe a few games?

I'd say Media Molecule have a second game in the works, Dreams seems like it's a long content creation stage. Everyone can't be involved with that.

(just bringing it back)
FromSoft game, E3. Anything else, TGS.

Getaway 3 for London is my guess for anything non VR. Believe.

The supporting cast is so much better in Second Son (and I love First Light so much) that I couldn't care about Cole as MC anymore. I'd rather have paper girl or more Fetch if anything.

I also think the karma system is harmless.

Whatever SP is cooking, I'm sure it'll be really interesting!

What if Sucker Punch...

no-shows at E3?

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

One of the few things that can make me genuinely sad regarding this E3.

What if Bluepoint is remastering Demon's Souls for 60fps/4K?
Other than internally developed, relatively low-effort remasters like GOW3, Last of Us, and Beyond: Two Souls (at least two of which were confirmed to be trial runs for their respective developers to familiarize themselves with the PS4 hardware) and Crash (and who knows that their plans are for that really), Sony as of late only really commissions remakes that tie in to some larger product on the immediate horizon (like Nathan Drake Collection being the stopgap for U4, Gravity Rush Remastered to promote GR2, and Ratchet and Clank to coincide with the film).

Which means a Demon's Souls remake might be a harbinger something much more exciting.

https://www.linkedin.com/company-beta/13609/?pathWildcard=13609

Geez, Naughty Dog is apparently at 372-ish headcount right now. It's like an increase of 150 people from 3 years ago.

Japan Studio is apparently pretty big at around that scale too, but they've got a lot of mixed resources ( ex-dev, etc ) as well as multiple development projects running concurrently it's hard to tell how resources are allocated.

https://www.linkedin.com/company-beta/13261?pathWildcard=13261

GG & SSM are hovering at the 200~250 range, which is about par for a medium sized AAA developer.

https://www.linkedin.com/company-beta/25821/?pathWildcard=25821

Last we heard, Sucker Punch, Bend & London are in the 100-150 headcount range, which are in the low-end of AAA development.

Media Molecule are the 50-ish headcount range.

DKHF

They say they are remaking a classic. Not multiple games/a series, IIRC in the past they explicitly said in their recruitment pages that they were remastering multiple games/a trilogy when they were hiring people to work on a collection. That coupled with their long history of working with Sony remastering PlayStation exclusives, and this is one I have seen so much demand for. It seems like a no brainer for Sony to do.

Xenogears remake and ffviiir are my two most wanted reveals!
They can keep disc 2 completely identical for all I care

At the time of playing (2004) i didn't know of the development problems regarding disc 2.
Found it weird nonetheless, but i also don't have any problems if they keep it this way. Tried to introduce the game to people but the graphics and somewhat slow gameplay keeps people turning off, despite of the insane story. Next to Vagrant Story, a Xenogears remake remains a pipedream.

Turkoop

Banned
What if Bluepoint is remastering Demon's Souls for 60fps/4K?

8hptove.gif

We already have a Half-Life inspired FPS. It's Half-Life 2.

We already have a Half-Life inspired FPS. It's called Resistance 3.

(And Singularity, and Metro 2033, and Metro: Last Light, etc, but Resistance 3 was probably my favourite of those).

So we've no idea what London studio is working on other than it's probably a PSVR game.

Japan studio definitely have something cooking, probably a TGS announcement. Maybe a few games?

I'd say Media Molecule have a second game in the works, Dreams seems like it's a long content creation stage. Everyone can't be involved with that.

(just bringing it back)

Japan Studio have just launched The Last Guardian and Gravity Rush 2 six months ago, and they are currently developing Knack 2 which will probably be out this year. While I expect they have other things in development, I don't think anything will be far enough along to show this E3, unless #JapanStudioJRPG is real!

Media Molecule might have a second game in development (like Tearaway was), but they're still a small studio and I imagine Dreams is very complex and taking up most of their resources.

What if Sucker Punch...

no-shows at E3?

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

If it would mean Sony are holding it back so there's less time between reveal & release, I would be okay with it. As long as we get lots of footage of GoW, Spider-Man and Days Gone I won't mind too much. Hopefully Dreams too, and release dates for all of these.

The supporting cast is so much better in Second Son (and I love First Light so much) that I couldn't care about Cole as MC anymore. I'd rather have paper girl or more Fetch if anything.

Yeah, I thought the characters in Second Son were a lot better too. Sucker Punch are getting better at writing with each game, so fingers crossed for #SP2019!*

London Studio never work on anything worth while. Aside from supporting the system software and R&D they've done a great deal of fuck and all for years. Buzz, SingStar etc. Nothing in the way of a traditional release really. Eight Days looked sick and I'm still pissed that they cancelled that. The Getaway 3 would be nice but with everything happening in the UK I think Sony are waiting to see what happens. I mean they've closed most of their studio's here so it'll be a waiting game.

London Studios has dabbled with games tied to niche hardware for long enough; they should get the opportunity to develop a new 'core' game. I always thought the Getaway games were kinda shit, but I'd rather they return to trying to make games like that than VR mini-games or stuff like Singstar.

Bait

I think I would be fine with a Sucker Punch no show as well. So long as it is indicative of how they want to handle the reveal and not a sign of trouble at the studio.

black070

We'll get dates for Gran Turismo Sport, Knack 2 & Detroit: Become Human (yes, I think it's coming this year).

God of War will definitely be a Q1/Q2 2018 release, which leaves Spider-Man & Days Gone (ignoring Death Stranding & The Last of Us Part II for now).. either one them releasing this year, while unnecessary and probably unlikely, would be pretty damn hype.

We'll get a good E3 this year. It's 2018's that I'm not so sure of. They'll be a lot of stuff they need to keep hidden until their PS5 reveal in 2019. Add a year to each of those dates if next-gen isn't starting until 2020.

dracula_x

We'll get dates for Gran Turismo Sport, Knack 2 & Detroit: Become Human (yes, I think it's coming this year).

God of War will definitely be a Q1/Q2 2018 release, which leaves Spider-Man & Days Gone (ignoring Death Stranding & The Last of Us Part II for now).. either one them releasing this year, while unnecessary and probably unlikely, would be pretty damn hype.

btw, received yesterday email from PlayStation Europe with GTS promo material. So I guess release date announcement isn't so far away.

#TeamDelsin

Cole was to me a another bald head generic character. And I wanted to fall asleep from the raspy voice acting. Everything else about the first game is forgettable. I couldn't even make it through the first level in I2 before I lost complete interest. Granted I only played because I got it free from the hacking situation.

Delsin and the seattle setting of second son was just more appealing. It felt less cartoony and more like a X-Men movie. Whatever game SP works on next I hope it stays in the realm of grounded like characters and nothing over the top.

Eww.

labaronx

Detroit in September please

Thorrgal

Their job descriptions on their website indicate it's multiplatform. So i'm not sure where this idea that it's going to be an exclusive PS classic is coming from.

Worth considering, a lot of PS classics may have been exclusive at the time but aren't PS brands. Wasn't until last gen that everything really went multiplatform.

I see..thanks! That emoji from Shinobi to me is like "Mmm playstation classic?? What are u guys smoking!". If he is in the know, ofc.

So it won't be any Demon's Souls, Infamous, Resistance, GoW or Killzone like people here is talking about, right?

No, releasing Spider-Man is necessary. Don't make me wait much longer!

Mifune

Mehmber
I see..thanks! That emoji from Shinobi to me is like "Mmm playstation classic?? What are u guys smoking!". If he is in the know, ofc.

So it won't be any Demon's Souls, Infamous, Resistance, GoW or Killzone like people here is talking about, right?

It's gotta be Shenmue.

DayEnder

all I wanna know is, where the heck is Dreams?

F'n game was at PS meeting for goodness sake.

Media Molecule is a small studio, so a lengthy development timeline for something as out there and ambitious as Dreams isn't that surprising. We'll probably see the release date at E3 and a firm date for the beta (I'm guessing available following conference).

E3 release date
Beta out now

I bet on it

Get out of my head.

You got all that from an emoji? Me thinks you're reading way too much into it.

Though having said that, my guess is Mass Effect Trilogy.

Top Bottom