• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Playstation: First Party Studios & their Current Projects

Harmen

Haha, that is exactly what I got from that tweet, people expecting something else did that to themselves. I mean, just look at that tweet, it even has a picture with a bunch of handcrafted imps and uses the words "we'll be showing how to make these".

Thorrgal

Just a gut feeling that their E3 will be more like 2014 as opposed to 2015 and 2016. Sony has shown so much that it's time to focus on what's already been announced as opposed to showing games that's literally years away. Also, wasn't 2014 the first year of Sony's deals with Activision for COD and Destiny? If so, that's another reason.

Sony has a LOT already which could probably fill up 90 minutes easily. Add in more announced games and it becomes even longer.

Another reason being that if SP new IP is indeed a western based game, why would Sony show it if they have the marketing deal for RDR2 and will show that at E3? If RDR2 is at Sony's press conference, SP new IP will be completely ignored and forgotten by most. No reason to have their new IP overshadowed by RDR2. Better off saving it for PSX or E3 2018. If it's NOT a western based game, then I would say that it's 50/50.

People is expecting SP new IP...I'm confident it will be there

Dabi

I hope Ueda comes through with that Half-Life inspired FPS. He said he wanted to do something like that years ago so its a reach haha

Thorrgal

The e3 Demo didn't really do it for me. Hopefully they show a bigger emphasis on the bike, crafting and how you can manipulate the zombies this E3.

If rumors were true RDR2 was supposed to close the E3 conference and they swapped it with Days Gone gameplay because of the Florida shootings. So that could be why the demo seemed rushed.

I loved it anyway. That and the trailer The world really spoke to me. It shows that it's localized on Bends backyard.Most hyped game from last E3 along with GoW

tmac456

Forgot the freak outs in regards to project beast/bloodborne rumors bring revealed as true. I really need to get my ass back on that game and finish it.

Temascos

Neo Member
I remember lurking and seeing that thread on Project Beast blow up like no tomorrow. It coming at the "PS4 has no games" time was perfect, especially when leaks were coming out about Microsoft's Presser with Scalebound, Crackdown and Phantom Dust. Just shows to be careful when speculating how games are going to come out on any system, like The Order.

That reminds me, I really need to order a PS4 at some point. Too many damn games I want are already out! First up is finishing the games on PS3 :)

One of the games I plan to get is Infamous Second Son and First Light, I loved Infamous 2 and how the Infamous ending in that game turned out. But it's probably for the best if Sucker Punch try a different IP, if it doesn't click they could return to Infamous but it's not going to get the massive widespread acclaim on the scale of Horizon or Uncharted, it's too embedded at this point.

Thorrgal

taPCxAB.png

To me this reads as mb it won't be a playstation classic but multiplatform

To me this reads as mb it won't be a playstation classic but multiplatform

Their job descriptions on their website indicate it's multiplatform. So i'm not sure where this idea that it's going to be an exclusive PS classic is coming from.

Worth considering, a lot of PS classics may have been exclusive at the time but aren't PS brands. Wasn't until last gen that everything really went multiplatform.

I only played Second Son but the older cast looks generic as hell. Even Delsin pales as a character in comparison with the stuff Sony is putting out now.

Hopefully SP has a fairly interesting unique character for their new IP.

AudioEppa

#TeamDelsin

Cole was to me a another bald head generic character. And I wanted to fall asleep from the raspy voice acting. Everything else about the first game is forgettable. I couldn't even make it through the first level in I2 before I lost complete interest. Granted I only played because I got it free from the hacking situation.

Delsin and the seattle setting of second son was just more appealing. It felt less cartoony and more like a X-Men movie. Whatever game SP works on next I hope it stays in the realm of grounded like characters and nothing over the top.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Infamous Second Son had the best evil ending I've seen in a long time. I saw it coming and was still yelling, and this is rare for me, for Delsin not to do it. If they did make a direct sequel to Second Son they must go with the evil ending. That shit cut deep and hard. The facial animation was spot on in that ending as well as you could see everything playing across Delsin's face.

Infamous Second Son had the best evil ending I've seen in a long time. I saw it coming and was yelling, and this is rare for me, for Delsin not to do it. If they did make a direct sequel to Second Son they must go with the evil ending. That shit cut deep and hard.

I thought this ending was fairly universally ridiculed.

I don't think any story where the protagonist makes random dastardly decisions to end his closest relationships should be celebrated by making it the basis of a sequel. Unless making random dastardly decisions is a conceit of the character (it most certainly wasn't in this case).

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I thought this ending was fairly universally ridiculed.

I don't think any story where the protagonist makes random dastardly decisions to end his closest relationships should be celebrated by making it the basis of a sequel. Unless making random dastardly decisions is a conceit of the character (it most certainly wasn't in this case).

I don't much care if its universally ridiculed. I enjoyed it for what it was, the finishing of a heel turn that didn't seem out left field at all for me. He was making shitty decisions the entire game when I played it as I stuck mostly on the evil side and he basically deserved what he got but the reaction from him was the best part. He thought he was going to get acceptance for everything he did because he stopped the even worse guys and instead was rejected for it and reacted like he had the rest of the evil story line, brutal and without thinking.

Karma was fine in 1 and 2, but in Second Son it felt like they were tired of it.

Fine is a bit of an over-statement, it was passable in 1 and 2, not something to rave about but it was there and worked well enough, even though it was clunky and dumb. From what I recall of Second Son, it stuck out a lot more in that game because they put a lot more emphasis on the story and performances in it, which only emphasised how weak that story was. But as a whole, I think karma systems just seem like such shallow, out-dated features these days, so you'd hope their new IP doesn't have one.

Also, while I loved Infamous 1 and 2, I'll never understand the love some people have for Cole, from the outrage at Infamous 2's initial redesign to the posts asking for his return. Dude really wasn't that interesting.

Same thing goes for Resistance's Nathan Hale. There were a bunch of people who were pissed Insomniac off'd him at the end of 2 and it was like, really? It's not like he was a really fleshed out character or anything, at least his death made for one of the few memorable moments from Resistance 2's weak campaign.

Memento

I really liked Second Son. The gameplay was so fun and the visuals were great. But it was a lauch line up title and it was pretty notable how rushed it was in terms of lack of content. It was a beautiful open world of nothing.

So I would love to see an inFAMOUS 3 with the same ambition as Horizon Zero Dawn for example, in terms of scale and production values. I would be there day 1.

But I am fine with a new IP too.

jayu26

The problem with the story in Second Son is that it is basically retelling of first game, except you have a brother instead of a girlfriend.
They both even die the same way.
That minus the neat twist, which was genuinely was shocking, makes story in Second Son kind of boring.

black070

Cole's story arc is why I think he's the superior character, 1 was genuinely thought provoking with its twist and 2 upped the ante in all the right ways. A hypothetical inFamous sequel absoloutly needs to continue it from there.

Cole's story arc is why I think he's the superior character, 1 was genuinely thought provoking with its twist and 2 upped the ante in all the right ways. A hypothetical inFamous sequel absoloutly needs to continue it from there.
Agreed. I was more interested in the story in 1 and 2 and that is part of why Cole is more interesting. I wanted to see what happened to him. Second Son not so much.

At the very least I hope at E3 we get release windows for all these games , but I feel like Sony is going to be more reserved with announcing these dates as they've delayed most of there major releases recently.

So we've no idea what London studio is working on other than it's probably a PSVR game.

Japan studio definitely have something cooking, probably a TGS announcement. Maybe a few games?

I'd say Media Molecule have a second game in the works, Dreams seems like it's a long content creation stage. Everyone can't be involved with that.

(just bringing it back)

Top Bottom