• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

{Rumor} "iPhone 8" - New drawing/rendering leak

Status
Not open for further replies.

br3wnor

I just want a smaller phone than my 6s+. Done with this size.

This design claims to be same size as the 6. I had the 6s+ and also got sick of the size and actually went to an SE which I love. However, if the 8 is the size of the 6 with screen size of the plus and no bezel, then I'm probably upgrading.

jm89

It seems like a accumulation of all the note 8 rumors that came out a week ago but this guy is using it for the iphone.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
The napkin drawings were from KK tho..

I feel like there's conflicting information about the display right now. This latest leak doesn't mention a curved display (as have others in recent months), only that there's curved glass around the edges and that there still is a pretty significant bezel. That's notable because it's been the main buzz about the phone for quite a while and I wonder how that'll factor into comparisons with the S8 which has an actually curved display.

Usobuko

Banned
Anyone else get the feeling that no one gives a shit? Until Apple invests in creating contacts that are connected to my phone, all these iterations between are just meh.

It's Apple.

The least you can say is they are very successful with their branding.

TheGrizz

Meh...this is kind of bland to me. It looks like the OG iPhone, with all those rounded corners. My hype level went from 10 to about a 5 with this mockup. Hopefully the square off the corners a bit more and slim it down (and remove the camera bump).

I'll be moving on the the S8, assuming I can get used to Android. I've been rocking iPhones since it's inception, but am getting bored as of late and I work with all IT nerds who all use Android phones and give me hell every day. I'm caving to the pressure :(

Noctilum

Looks cool. I like how the edges are not curved like the Samsung phones, but the ear piece slit bothers me as it looks like it is part of the UI and makes me think there is something I can do there. It will be interesting to see what comes of this mock up.

Not an iPhone guy myself, but I think the move to having all the front sensors and such behind the screen will be a really great approach. It'll probably be copied within a year by everyone else if it hasn't already by models not yet released, but I like that design move.

shandy706

This is supposedly going to cost over $1000, so they kinda need a cheaper model (7S/7S+) as well.

$300 to manufacture, $1000 at retail (rolls eyes)...ridiculous, that's how phones are though.

I like the "no home button/transparency" thing though. I had iPhones for 8 years before moving to Android for the openness, I might would try this out though.

Red

They had a patent for where the screen would go transparent in the area needed for the camera or other sensors.

Which I thought was a pipe dream until I saw that OLED TV do it.
Transparent screen technology has existed for years. Proof of concepts have appeared at venues for like half a decade now.

9to5mac posted the images from the OP alongside some other renders with presumed antenna lines on each corner.

Likely being overly hopeful, but perhaps we will see the shock absorber / floatation patent being implemented in the new phone?
I never saw that shock absorber patent. That's a great idea.

badb0y

$300 to manufacture, $1000 at retail (rolls eyes)...ridiculous, that's how phones are though.

I like the "no home button/transparency" thing though. I had iPhones for 8 years before moving to Android for the openness, I might would try this out though.
Who gonna pay for R & D?

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Who gonna pay for R & D?

Honestly this argument doesnt really hold when you see how much profit they make on each device and their cash horde. Car companies also do R&D and their profit margin are no where mear the iPhone.

OG iPhone design was a landmark design
iPhone 4 was a landmark design
iPhone 8 is shaping up to be a landmark design

These phones define the phone design landscape for years. No one else compares. Don't say some nonsense like that Xiaomi which looks cool but is compromised (sound, front camera). No one can compare when it comes to Apple design. Looking forward to the inevitable Android devices, too.
Samsung already killed the rumored iPhone 8 with the S8+, bud.

Aleh

Instead of putting the speaker on the screen, can't they just put it on the slim bezel on top? There sure is enough space there, just mimic the design of the bottom speaker with grills instead of making it elongated, and make them symmetrical, with the camera in the center.

Looks good otherwise, if they can integrate touch ID on the screen as well then good job.

LordOfChaos

Honestly this argument doesnt really hold when you see how much profit they make on each device. Car companies also do R&D and their profit margin are no where mear the iPhone.

Intel is the other one making Apple like margins. It will be seen if we have ryzen above that.

LordOfChaos

9to5mac posted the images from the OP alongside some other renders with presumed antenna lines on each corner.

Likely being overly hopeful, but perhaps we will see the shock absorber / floatation patent being implemented in the new phone?

I thought I saw an Xperia with something like that, but I can only find these aftermarkert corner nibs right now

SE_XperiaZ5_CornerSample.jpg~original

Vuze

lol they just upgraded the storage, how does that really make a difference to a 1 year old phone. There was no spring event this year, makes me think its not happening anymore.
I mean, I really don't expect them to refresh it every year. I expect a refresh next year with some stuff from current iPhones and maybe the iPhone X/Edition/whatever they can implement without changing the design.
I doubt there are enough people who go SE and will throw it out the window every year for a minor performance boost and feature overhaul to warrant this in the first place.

BunnyBear

All the people saying it's a 'boring design'... what the fuck do you want them to do with the thing, re-invent the wheel again? We're at a point with smartphones where they are a standard product and all changes are largely going to be cosmetic and internal. I just don't get that line of argument at all...

Quick

Banned
All the people saying it's a 'boring design'... what the fuck do you want them to do with the thing, re-invent the wheel again? We're at a point with smartphones where they are a standard product and all changes are largely going to be cosmetic and internal. I just don't get that line of argument at all...

Reinvent the flip phone.

emag

Honestly this argument doesnt really hold when you see how much profit they make on each device and their cash horde. Car companies also do R&D and their profit margin are no where mear the iPhone.

Component costs in the auto industry average about 55% of the sales price. The percentage is much lower for more upscale vehicles.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.

Agreed, i dont understand boring argument at all. Edge to edge display is pretty drastic change on its own. Same size phone with bigger amd better display. Better internal spec, better camera and new software features.

Servbot24

Banned
I also really don't care for the rounded corners.

Anyone else get the feeling that no one gives a shit? Until Apple invests in creating contacts that are connected to my phone, all these iterations between are just meh.
You kidding dude? iPhone is possibly the most cared about product of all time.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
I think those are just the points where the chassis curves. They are always drawn in design schematics
Yes. The are iso or isoparametric curves (depending on the solid modeling software you are using. Basically the tangent edge of the surface where the curvature starts. These are not antenna lines. (The other visual clue here is that they also the go on the cover glass which obviously won't have corner lines in it.)

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Transparent screen technology has existed for years. Proof of concepts have appeared at venues for like half a decade now.

Had never seen them. The TV was very impressive, although the whole thing went transparent rather than individual areas which this would need to do and forgot a phone would need a digitiser layer for the touchscreen so not sure if this could be done.

Looking at their other patents, there's a few new ones for sensors behind the screen including a method specifically for the fingerprint reader so I think this is definitely the end goal although whether they can manage it all for this one is another matter.

I think a lip at the top with the other sensors on is more likely.

Same I think the Galaxy S8 looks much better and much more sleek these this render.

I'm the opposite. I think a small uniform border, if they could manage it, makes all the difference. Looks much better to me, never thought the screen bleeding off the sides looks that good.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be

What is meant to be a flagship phone for Apple, where they're falling behind in the race, they basically paused designs for iPhone 7 and released the same form factor as iPhone 6 so this needs to blow everyone out of the water.

Considering it's coming out later than the S8 - if it looks like the latest render it already looks dated in comparison.

If it's gonna be $1000 it's gotta by more than just the best OS and ecosystem.

iPhone 7 already removed the physical home button.

I suppose if you're being technical, but it's still got the round "home button" area where you put your thumb. This thing on the other hand is just a flat screen across the entire front if I'm looking at it correctly, like the Nexus 5 which was what I meant.

casnix

Forgive my ignorance, but is there an app drawer yet? All these changes are nice but having the home screen cluttered with icons is an eyesore.

Yeah, sounds like you were really conflicted.

How does what you quoted merit that response?

I really liked the S8/+ design. I was waiting to see what Apple was going to do with the 8 (given it's the 10th anniv. of iPhone) before I made my purchasing decision. Now that these "renders" and leaks are out there, it made my decision a lot easier, as the S8 design is leagues ahead.

Tell me exactly where you got lost.

_woLf

Am I the only person who prefers a home button on phones? I'm still really disappointed the Galaxy S8 ditched it. I love having a physical button to quickly find on the front of the screen when it's off. :/

Not an iPhone guy myself, but I think the move to having all the front sensors and such behind the screen will be a really great approach. It'll probably be copied within a year by everyone else if it hasn't already by models not yet released, but I like that design move.
I don't follow this stuff anymore, but I remember ~5 years ago Apple had a patent for the camera behind the screen that could see our face and authenticate us immediately, like Touch ID. It would also make it so we're actually making eye contact in video chats. Who knows what other plans they would have for it. Looks like the idea's finally coming out within the next year or two.

BriGuy

Am I the only person who prefers a home button on phones? I'm still really disappointed the Galaxy S8 ditched it. I love having a physical button to quickly find on the front of the screen when it's off. :/
No. I have a S8+ arriving this week to replace my slightly borked current phone, and while the screen and all that look great, I miss the home button. Just having something you can physically press is comforting to me for some reason. I have this mouse with a "virtual" scroll wheel that vibrates and clicks as you roll your finger over it, but it's no substitute for an actual wheel. Maybe I'm just weird or old-fashioned.

Breakage

Where do you rest your thumb? I have a 7+ and I just place mine on the side of the phone.

I'm still rolling with my 4S, so I have enough space to rest my thumb on the side. I feel like people are gonna end up holding the iPhone 8 like you'd hold a CD ie. at the edges in order to avoid making unintended gestures on an active screen. Is that really comfortable? I'm not so sure.

Software can fix the problem of accidental touches. Sophisticated enough software. But whether that exists is unknown.
Yeah...maybe. I guess we'll see.

Kyoufu

Why is a bezel free design something to aspire to? Where are you supposed to rest your thumb? If the entire front is a touchable screen, won't you end up making a load of accidental touches?

Apple's palm rejection on their macbook trackpads is already great. I've no doubt they'd do a great job with preventing accidental touches on the new iPhone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom