• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Lost World Wii U and 3DS demo now available in NA eShops

ryushe

The compression on the 3DS version during cutscenes makes my balls itch.

The Wii U version on the other hand? Yiiisssss LAWD

Now the question lies, why in Windy Hills would I pick up the 3DS if I have a Wii U? Not only does it look (and control, IMHO) better, I can technically turn it into the 3DS version (minus the 3D of course) via the Gamepad. Unless drastically different, better levels, I just don't see it.

I'll definitely pick up the Wii U version for ~$30.

Um why is the Wii U demo for this over 6GB? Guess I have to finally pick up an external hard drive soon. Is it like the full game and then you can just pay to unlock it or what?

Revven

Tried Wii U demo for a moment -- pretty fun! Apparently the stuff you collect in the first level will carry over to the full game.

Lijik

people having fun with the 3DS demo- lemme say as someone who has beaten the game that I had strong first impressions too, but the quality diminishes with each world. I wouldnt buy this version at full price if I could do it again

I like how the parkour feels a lot in this version but theres not enough of it

qq more

people having fun with the 3DS demo- lemme say as someone who has beaten the game that I had strong first impressions too, but the quality diminishes with each world. I wouldnt buy this version at full price if I could do it again

I like how the parkour feels a lot in this version but theres not enough of it

Yeah, this is the issue with both games unfortunately.

I enjoyed the Wii U version for like the first 3 zones, then the snow world happened and... things went down hill from there. I did not enjoy a single act of Sky Road or Lava Mountain, they're full of poor level/boss designs. Frozen Factory was only good for like one act...

3DS version apparently goes downhill much quicker and the levels looked far more frustrating, I mean, you're FORCED to use the most irritating wisp power (Asteroid Wisp which forces you to use gyro to move) to progress through a stage with precision platforming. Honestly, that wisp was completely frustrating to use just to collect a single red star ring in the Wii U version, I cannot imagine how even more frustrating how the 3DS version handles it. Also apparently Frozen Factory Zone 3 (3DS) is completely dickish with its gimmicky puzzles. So yeah, I think I'm gonna sit this out. Was already annoyed with the Wii U version...

Um why is the Wii U demo for this over 6GB? Guess I have to finally pick up an external hard drive soon. Is it like the full game and then you can just pay to unlock it or what?

It's not...it's like 486MB.

In the new update agreement it said demos will be auto downloaded by spot pass too, so I would expect this game to do that

Possibly, though I wouldn't expect that for all demos in future. I doubt we'd see M-rated ones do that, for instance.

Just tried the demo and I loved it. Is the full game more of the same?

Barely have played any Sonic games. Only ever completed Colors a short while back, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Maybe this will be more enjoyed by people who haven't really played many games in the series? I'm sure the difficulty ramps up, but this felt just right and I can see the appeal of many possible routes at least through the first level/zone.

I'm not good at platformers, still having trouble with DKC Returns with those damn mine cart levels, but I found this easy to control. I understand for veterans of the series, that the formula is different, so that may explain some of the complaints?

So smooth and vibrant too.

Guess Who

Banned
If you downloaded the 3ds demo and thought "hey this looks like it might be good"

please do not be fooled

run as far away from it as you can

NotLiquid

Just tried the demo and I loved it. Is the full game more of the same?

Barely have played any Sonic games. Only ever completed Colors a short while back, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Maybe this will be more enjoyed by people who haven't really played many games in the series? I'm sure the difficulty ramps up, but this felt just right and I can see the appeal of many possible routes at least through the first level/zone.

I'm not good at platformers, still having trouble with DKC Returns with those damn mine cart levels, but I found this easy to control. I understand for veterans of the series, that the formula is different, so that may explain some of the complaints?

So smooth and vibrant too.

With the Wii U version the level design takes a bit of a nosedive after the first half of the game and it becomes fairly difficult and frustrating at times, which wouldn't be a problem if the game wasn't so stingy with lives. There are a couple of really annoying stages that stick out in people's minds and one or two gimmick stages that don't necessarily fit in, but if you enjoyed what you played based on the demo then chances are you will at least enjoy a significant chunk of it cause the game play itself only rarely deviates.

It's a good game with some pretty stupid missteps keeping it from being a brilliant one. But it's still solid and enjoyable, and probably the most consistent modern Sonic game alongside Colors.

Mumford

I played the demo last night, I loved it & I'll pick it up when I see it for around $30 or so. I could feel the 60 FPS.
I'm blindly assuming it's 60 FPS, could be completely wrong.

qq more

I played the demo last night, I loved it & I'll pick it up when I see it for around $30 or so. I could feel the 60 FPS.
I'm blindly assuming it's 60 FPS, could be completely wrong.

It is 60FPS. That's one of the reasons why they went with the simple art style in fact!

Gunstar Ikari

Unconfirmed Member
I tried out the 3DS demo. It feels like it could be the start of a great Sonic game. It's a shame that, by most accounts, the level design quickly goes to shit. Oh well, might be something to buy for cheap.

Sucks that I don't have a Wii U, because that's the demo that I'm interested in playing. I hoping that the levels in that one feel much better that they look.

Played through the demo level a few times (Wii U), yet I can't get a feel for whether or not I want this game. The controls were good, but at the same time I found it very difficult to get a good rythem going like I do in other platforming games. The graphics looked great and the music was a nice surprise compared to craptastic vocals I've heard in some recent Sonic games. Still, I'm weary of what I'm hearing regarding the second half of the game. Maybe when this hits $20 or less.

Zalman

I didn't think the second half of the game was too bad except for a few levels here and there (the snowball stage comes to mind.) Overall, I think anyone who has enjoyed 3D Sonic in the past should give it a shot. Generally most people agree when a Sonic game is bad (e.g. Sonic'06, Shadow the Hedgehog), but I feel Lost World will be one of the most polarizing in the franchise. Some seem to hate it while others love it.

breakfuss

Thanks, going to try this on 3ds. If it looks anything like the Generations port, though, I won't be too pleased.

NYCrooner

This is one of the rare times that a demo has changed my mind on purchasing a game I was looking forward too. I'll just GameFly this now instead.

Wow, what a stingy demo. I spent 20+ minutes downloading/installing this only to be greeted with a 3 minute demo that can be played 10 times.

The game looked nice though and the 60fps was appreciated.

RM8

3DS demo was not fun at all for me. How come all 3 Sonic games for 3DS have been quite mediocre? :/

Gunstar Ikari

Unconfirmed Member
Aren't the Sonic Rush games okay, though?

They were until Dimps was announced as the Sonic 4 developer; people then went back and picked apart every little detail until their entire Sonic output was declared garbage.

Rush is okay. Far from great, but okay. Rush Adventure is mediocre without the boating gimmick and kinda crappy once you take it into account.

Linkhero1

I played the demo earlier this week. Surprisingly, I found it to be pretty fun. The colors are so vibrant and reminded me of the classic sonic games. Definitely worth checking out the demo. The gamplay not as bad as some of the reviews lead you to believe.

NotLiquid

Rush was passable because at the very least Dimps could mask their shortcomings of understanding Sonic physics by making it a game where you mostly use boosting. Dimps were the originators of the boost game play.

Unfortunately the level design didn't do anything for me. It was too linear, empty and forgettable. Can't speak for Rush Adventure as I haven't played it.

Sioen

Got the game on my Wii u, it's okay but it can be quite frustrating at times.. Looking at you ice world.

I tried the Wii U demo a few days ago. The game looks very nice, but I wasn't a fan of the control. Furthermore, the level seemed too straightforward and one-note. A little boring, TBH. I will probably pass.

Well, Windy Hill wasn't all that bad. I had some fun checking out the different paths you can take. The parkour takes a little getting used to, like when you do it between walls, but it was ok.

Of course, this is only Windy Hill. I've already seen what the rest of the game has to offer. I'll probably get it at some point in the future.

Top Bottom