• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SEGA + Bioware = Sonic RPG for DS

ram

yeah its official. bioware and sega are in bed for a new sonic role playing game for the nintendo DS.

release: 2008

Borys

Banned
If awesomenss was a game it would be it, HOT DAMN.

First Mario & Sonic Olympic Games now BioWare (BIO-****ING-WARE) making a Sonic RPG?

+ 1 DS sold

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Mr. Pachunga Chung said:
wait so Sonic's shitty friends will actually have a purpose now? =O

No, cause Sega will finally understand we don't like his shitty friends, and drop them.. only to drop them in the wrong game. After which they will make a platformer again, and include the extra characters because people were complaining that they "removed them".

rs7k

Bioware is too smart to make a Sonic RPG. Really, what's in the Sonic universe that could make an interesting story, considering the franchise has been raped by like ten Kobes.

ram

Segata Sanshiro said:
ram, if this isn't true, I'm going to request that you be banned until SEGA is #1 in hardware again. The SEGA Army is not to be trifled with.

wait and see - 40 minutes to go :)

ZeoVGM

Banned
rs7k said:
Bioware is too smart to make a Sonic RPG. Really, what's in the Sonic universe that could make an interesting story, considering the franchise has been raped by like ten Kobes.

Yes, because the Mario universe seemed perfect for an RPG.

ethelred

So Bioware's DS RPG is... Sonic? What's more, Sega's making a new RPG for the DS, but it's not a Shining Force, not a Phantasy Star, not a Skies, it's... Sonic?

Well, that is... unexpected.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
STOP LETTING YOUR FURRY CONTINGENT MAKE IMPORTANT DEVELOPMENT DECISIONS, BIOWARE! i know it's impossible to keep those people out of nerd-centric jobs, but this is a bit much. lol ds sux

Krowley

What would be great is if this was successful and they decided to do a wii version or a sequel on the wii.. Assuming this is true that's about the only way I can imagine bioware making a wii game.

And this news is totally bizzare. Extreme david lynch/cronenberg territory.

ZeoVGM

Banned
drohne said:
STOP LETTING YOUR FURRY CONTINGENT MAKE IMPORTANT DEVELOPMENT DECISIONS, BIOWARE! i know it's impossible to keep those people out of nerd-centric jobs, but this is a bit much. lol ds sux

Best handheld ever. :]

Mario RPG 2 is all it needs. C'mon Square.

TreIII

Hmmm...

Well, if any one can actually make something out the convoluted storyline that the Sonic series has contained, I suppose BioWare is one of the few that could probably do so...

But still...how is a series that's supposed to be about speed and action going to work in a RPG format of any sort, be it Western or Japanese? That was an issue I had when people started clamoring for a Sonic RPG after Mario RPG came out, and it's still the same question I have now. Wouldn't it have made more sense to use another, yet still quite established franchise, such as say, Shinobi, Streets of Rage (fighter/western-rpg hybrid!) or Virtual ON, for something like this?

..In any case, I still find it some what amusing that these upcoming Sonic games that stand to be the best thing to happen to the series are a) not being made by any semblance of Sonic Team and b) go another tangent altogether...

Krowley

omg rite said:
Best handheld ever. :]

Mario RPG 2 is all it needs. C'mon Square.

Hell they can just let bioware or Bethesda do it.. Who needs square? :D I love square and all, but western RPG's are just sex in so many ways.

Edit// and this news is sort of like somebody telling me that maxis had licensed ninja gaiden from tecmo and were going to make a sim city game set in that universe. It's on that scale of extreme wierdness.

rs7k

omg rite said:
Yes, because the Mario universe seemed perfect for an RPG.

Once again, Sonic's been raped. Look at all the shitty games, crap storylines that Sega's been pumping out lately. No way Bioware gets close to that franchise. I sure hope they don't, they are way too good for Sega.

**** YEAH!
54c8115a39a9b7def240e6aea5c1dcd3.gif

Eat that Nintendo! I knew there was a reason to defend you Sega.

ZeoVGM

Banned
rs7k said:
Once again, Sonic's been raped. Look at all the shitty games, crap storylines that Sega's been pumping out lately. No way Bioware gets close to that franchise. I sure hope they don't, they are way too good for Sega.

But that didn't stop Sonic Rush from being ****ing awesome.

3D console Sonic games sucking has no relation to a Bioware RPG Sonic. It could be awesome.

loosus

Banned
"Know how to program? Need a **SALES BOOST** to get that program some **SALES POTENTIAL**? Call 1-800-121-SONIC now for your **FREE** Sonic Insertion Development Kit!"

ethelred

TreIII said:
Wouldn't it have made more sense to use another, yet still quite established franchise, such as say, Shinobi, Streets of Rage (fighter/western-rpg hybrid!) or Virtual ON, for something like this?

Beyond Oasis / Legend of Oasis = Streets of Rage RPG.

rs7k said:
My explodo seems to be malfunctioning. Please explodo yourself.
segata8tinew.gif

Thheeerrre she goes.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
what's with the ds and tranny surprises? bioware is making a ds rpg...about sonic the hedgehog! konami's making contra 4...and it's been outsourced to a western developer! level 5 is making an adventure game with a european animation aesthetic...only it's full of BRAIN TEASERS!

ZeoVGM

Banned
drohne said:
what's with the ds and tranny surprises? bioware is making a ds rpg...about sonic the hedgehog! konami's making contra 4...and it's been outsourced to a western developer! level 5 is making an adventure game with a european animation aesthetic...only it's full of BRAIN TEASERS!

Isn't it awesome? :D

Tailzo

What? No...

What?

What???

Argh, this is just so weird.

I'm not sure if I hope it's true. A western Sonic RPG? Is that what it would be?

Tieno

Bioware...making a ds game...with sega....about sonic...and it's an rpg...wow. What what what in the but!

Can't wait to see how that marriage ends up.

loosus

Banned
drohne said:
You totally neglected the Mario and Sonic crossover...IN THE OLYMPICS!

SEGA + Bioware = Sonic RPG for DS

What i dont like about that announcement:

- Sonic
- Sonic + RPG
- Bioware + Sonic
- Sega + Sonic
- Bioware + NDS
- Sega

What i love:

- Sega + RPG

Now please cancel this game and make Skies of Arcadia 2 for Wii, thank you.

loosus

Banned
MasterMFauli said:

- Sonic
- Sonic + RPG
- Bioware + Sonic
- Sega + Sonic
- Bioware + NDS
- Sega

What i love:

- Sega + RPG

Oh, you can totally have Skies of Arcadia 2. No f'ing problem, my man. EA's gonna be happy to land that contract!

ZeoVGM

Banned
MasterMFauli said:

- Sonic
- Sonic + RPG
- Bioware + Sonic
- Sega + Sonic
- Bioware + NDS
- Sega

What i love:

- Sega + RPG

So uh.. Bioware + RPG isn't a factor for you?

Top Bottom